• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 4,643 Views, 418 Comments

Clockwork - 71NYL-5CR4TCH

  • ...
18
 418
 4,643

Acceptance

Twilight jolts at my sudden disappearance, before looking about to discover I had only moved within the room and was now accompanied by her young dragon.

"Clockwork, where...what just happened?" She asks, trying to keep up within the normal flow of time.

"Oh Twilight it was so cool! Clockwork just appeared out of nowhere and was suddenly like 'take my hoof if you want to live', so I did, and suddenly everything got all still and quiet, and you weren't moving and you couldn't see me and Clockwork told me he froze time and now my paper cut's all better, see?" He enthusiastically just forward his thumb for Twilight to inspect.

The cut, much to my own disbelief, was now completely invisible, and the effects of my change in flesh were seemingly reversed. Twilight eyes the cut before patting her dragon on the head before speaking, "That's nice, Spike. Why don't you go back upstairs and keep reading that book I recommended. I have to ask Clockwork a few questions."

"Aww.." is the only response the young one can seem to manage before begrudgingly trudging back upstairs.

Twilight watches him go, before turning back to me with a mixture of confusion and relief.

"Clockwork, what just happened? What did you just do?"

I sigh, this would certainly not be easy to explain, for even as I was the only pony to know myself deeply, even I was at a loss for answers.

"When Spike's paper cut wouldn't stop bleeding, I realized something. Much of the extent of my abilities is still unknown to me, and the implications they hold may be far more serious than I could have ever predicted."

Twilight raises an eyebrow, "Such as..?"

"From what I can gather, time is constantly working as a force of change within our world. When I changed something outside of its realm, it was almost like it couldn't recognize it. It wasn't a change of time, so it was rejected."

"Meaning?"

"The cut existed outside the normal flow of time. Our world didn't seem to be able to tell anything had changed, so it didn't know how to, well, fix it."

"So when time should have healed Spike's wound..."

"Not only could his body not recognize the wound, all of time couldn't. It would stay just the way it was, as far as I can tell, forever."

"So..." Twilight gasps as she realizes the implications and weight this withholds, "Spike would have bled out! He would have died from that tiny little paper cut!"

"Precisely."

"That explains why you were so concerned, but how did you heal it? And for that matter, how did I or Spike recognize it was there?"

"I'm afraid that by pulling you into this gap, and changing Spike's body outside the flow of time, I may have...tainted you, in a way. That which bound you so closely to the flow of time has been weakened by my interference. You've both existed outside of time, in a way."

"Does that mean..?"

"I believe so. Everything I change within my gaps becomes slightly detached from the flow of time." I hang my head low. The consequences of such changes stood so fierce now. My decisions were, and are, essentially eternal. While I may always open new gaps to try and 'fix' what is broken, after my passing, I will leave this world forever changed. Not only that, but the ponies and others I had so recklessly involved would now be, if only slightly, altered.

Twilight sits quietly, pondering this for a moment, whilst pressing a hoof to her chin.

"I can see now why you are so hesitant to do anything of significance within the gap. It's dangerous."

I nod.

"But Spike's cut healed within the gap didn't it? So the changes you make are not irreversible." She offers hopefully.

"I'm still not entirely sure how it works. Spikes wound healed within the gap, but not naturally. It was almost instantaneous." I reply, equally confused.

"That is peculiar," Twilight mused, "What of your drawings? Or the books you've read? Will they become timeless? Never deteriorating or rotting away?"

"Perhaps...I'm not sure. I haven't been alive long enough to see how inanimate objects are effected in the normal flow of time." I reply. It would not be so bad if these changes remained forever, to leave a legacy of the gaps which only I seem to have known upon this world, like ancient footprints, fossilized and preserved.

But even so, as much heartache as change may bring us, it must come and go for the world to progress, and I have little doubt that with enough time, the things I have left eternal will become drivel.

"I see." She replies, "Clockwork...what does this mean? I mean, if I'm detached from time..."

"Unfortunately, Twilight, this is another question I can't answer. I simply don't know."

"I guess time will tell." She offered.

"I guess so..."

"Also, I've been meaning to ask you something..."

"Yes, Twilight?"

She looks nervous, blushing suddenly,

"About our...um...about our kiss." She rubs her foreleg with her opposite hoof, while looking down at the floorboards.

I swallowed hard, "Yes?"

Why was she nervous? Was she ashamed? Regretful?

"I don't know why, but it felt so right to kiss you, then and there." I breathe a heavy sigh of relief, "Like, it was just the right moment..."

I clear my throat, "I know how you feel, I too felt this way."

"I barely knew you, and yet..."

"You felt something words can't quite describe." I finish. Somehow, just through her eyes I could see what it was she felt, and I knew the feeling well, for it resided within me the same.

"Yes, exactly...and...and I still feel that way now."

"The feeling has not left me either." I smile.

"Does that mean...that I'll feel like this forever? I can't explain it, but somehow, the moment you opened that door, I knew my life would be changed forever." She looks up, meeting my eyes.

I stare for a while, but look away with a sigh, "I cannot say, Twilight."

"But if it stays with me, it'll stay with you, right?" She asks, almost frantic

I turn back to her and smile, "I would think so."

I promptly receive the second kiss of my life.

"I think...I think I'm okay with that."