• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 4,640 Views, 418 Comments

Clockwork - 71NYL-5CR4TCH

  • ...
18
 418
 4,640

Solitude

She continued to stare at me, her look of bewilderment growing.

Whether it was at my gift or at the fact she had stumbled upon a subject she could not research, I would never know.

"So there really is no way you can teach me? Or any sort of hint? ANYthing?!" she stammered.

"I'm sorry, but I just don't know how it works. It's just a will..."

"Do you realize what kind of power this is though?! You could do anything you wanted! You...you could be anywhere and nopony would ever know!"

"I know." I replied

"So what do you do?! Do you save ponies? Or...or sneak in places? Or..."

"I like to draw." I state.

"....."

"......"

"...draw."

"Yes, draw."

"Like, pictures."

"Like pictures, yes."

"You could do...literally ANYTHING YOU WANT...and you draw pictures."

"Sometimes the gaps are to beautiful to do anything BUT admire them. I know what I COULD do, and it scares me."

"Why do they scare you?"

I sighed. Many pony emotions were explicable through logic, reasoning, or a series of chemicals reacting in the brain. Fear, though, fear could be a tricky one. Mostly because fears are learned, we associate a negative event with a thing, or place, and then fear that thing or place. So what was so terrifyingly beautiful about my gaps where nothing could hurt me?

Perhaps that nothing could hear me scream.

A place where nothing could ever break my heart.

Or love me.

A place where no one could ever put me down.

Or help me back up.

"Solitude." I answered. "I fear the complete and total isolation and solitude in the gaps. I could do anything, but what would be the point when there is nopony to share it with? I fear that if I accomplish something great, I'll be too heartbroken when no pony even cares...or knows...or notices."

"But isn't it peaceful? Relaxing?" She asks, now sitting with me on the couch.

"I suppose, but I always find myself needing to occupy myself, lest I go mad..."

"...so you draw?"

"Yes, it's a good distraction."

"Can you show me?"

"Um..."

I was unsure what to do here. I only had pictures of her in my saddle bags. I could show her those, but I remembered enough social convention that this would probably earn me a hoof to the face and universal ban from the library. I could step into a gap and go get some other drawings from my home but...

aaannnnddd she's looking at the pictures anyway. Great.

"These...these are of me!"

"Uhmmm..."

"There are like 30 drawings!"

"Uh...."

"These are...really really good!"

Wat.

"You...you think so?"

"Absolutely!"

Her smile was a mile wide as her eyes scanned over sketch after sketch, taking in every detail.

"And you're not...concerned?" I asked.

"I'd be creeped out if they were of me in the shower but considering you could draw literally anything and you chose to draw me...34 times, I'm simply flattered!"

I do not understand other ponies.

Author's Note:

I know it's short, but I'm beginning to feel writing juices return...there's hope yet for a revival from this writing coma!