• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 4,642 Views, 418 Comments

Clockwork - 71NYL-5CR4TCH

  • ...
18
 418
 4,642

Life

For the longest instant, I watch her.

I watch her as she meanders about the place she works, the place she lives, looking at everything.

The finest details of her world, as though they were not prevalent before.

Finally she returns to me, and nods.

I know what this means.

The simple recognition that while we may spend an eternity young even this eternity must eventually end.

So I take her hoof in mine,

and I end this eternity to return to the next.

As the world comes rushing back, she seems startled by the experience, but quickly shakes it off.

"So...that's...that's your world?" she asks.

"No, that is this world. That is every passing second in which we live, and breathe. We simply took the time to appreciate it better."

"I still don't understand how that's possible..."

"Nor do I, but does it truly matter? Perhaps it's better without an explanation."

"But everything has an explanation, or at least a reason."

"Not at all. Everything simply has a meaning."

"Wh- what do you mean?"

"Look at the world around us, filled with light, and color and sound and life. Can you explain any of that?"

"Well...light is a form of energy...and sound is the vibration through the air...and life...is..."

"No, Twilight, you are defining things, labeling things for a purpose of communication. Can you explain sound to the deaf? Or light and color to the blind? Or life to a stone? In our lives we take these labels for granted because we can experience them from our own perception. But what do they mean outside of us? Haven't you wondered?"

"Well...then what is the meaning of these things?"

"The meaning of anything is simply to give meaning to it's contrast."

"I...what?"

"Well truly the universe within itself is fairly meaningless, it has no...well, purpose. But the things within it give purpose and meaning to one another. There cannot be light without dark, or color without blackness. Sound without silence or silence without sound."

"So, what? The meaning of life is to define death?"

"No, death is a part of life. An invariable and inescapable end, but still a part of it. No the meaning of life is to define the lifeless, at least, in my eyes."

"In other words..?"

"We as life have the responsibility to give meaning to the entire rest of the universe. By acknowledging and appreciating the existence of that which cannot acknowledge and appreciate itself, we give it purpose. We give it meaning. For without us what is the point of a star, a galaxy, all of space and time? We are the only ones who can confirm that anything ever even happened in the whole of the universe. The stars and moon and sun depend on us just as much as we depend upon them, for our entire universe exists only in perfect balance to create us, Twilight, life, for we are truly what defines it. Just like our bodies to our minds."

"What do you mean, like our bodies?"

"The entire purpose of the body is to create a machine which supports the mind. Every system within us has the end goal of keeping out soul alive. This is why we are not our bodies, they our simply our vessel. Much like we are not a part of the universe...we are the universe. Existing within it as simply another arrangement of atoms and energy, the only difference is, that we can give purpose to ourselves."

Twilight continued to stare through his eyes, scrutinizing and studying all he had just said.

"So why tell me this?"

"Because you've seen what I can see. You've seen the potential of eternity, and chose to come back, as I have always chosen as well. But I want you to see why that decision must always be made, to allow the world to continue on. For as I may be better at observing and giving meaning to what is here, and now...

There will always be more.

And I owe it to everything.

To the wind and sun and rain.

To the stars, the sun, and the skies.

I owe it to all of the universe far greater than I could ever hope to be.

I owe all that which is lifeless...

a chance at life."