• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 4,639 Views, 418 Comments

Clockwork - 71NYL-5CR4TCH

  • ...
18
 418
 4,639

Hero

Twilight continued to ponder, her questions clearly still myriad. I enjoyed this time immensely, having discussion with another pony who didn't go to sleep at the mention of 'philosophy' was rare enough, to find one who enjoyed it was truly spectacular. My time in the gaps is often filled with my drawings, with my readings, but most of all with my thoughts. There, in the silence, they resonated so clearly, that truly I could understand my own mind.

"Clockwork, tell me, many ponies have called my friends and me 'heroines' before because of our actions against Nightmare Moon, yet I've always been on the stance that we are not. Heroes, as you would argue, are given meaning by their contrast to a villain, but could they not exist independently of one another? What would you say?"

This question was startling, and clearly loaded.

On one hoof, to give her praise and call her a hero could help me fall into good graces with the mare I cherished so deeply...

Yet she has stated she is not.

Was this modesty?

Or seeking an honest answer?

Wasn't modesty part of what made a hero?

Perhaps not.

To assign meaning to a term was easy, but definition?

The hero's meaning is to contrast the villain, yet couldn't a meaningful hero exist without one? Surely they could right?

And a meaningful villain without heroes? It seems logical...

But no, they could not...

For heroes could not do what makes them who they are without the contrast of their actions.

A hero does what is right, and for one to distinguish what is right, there must be wrong.

"Well, by what I would say is popular definition, yes, you are a hero, but not by mine."

Twilight sharply looked up from her tea.

"Oh?"

Twilight glared at me, before regaining her composure with a quick deep breath,

*Tick-Tock*

"I appreciate your honesty, I guess." Twilight quickly returned to her tea, her brow furrowing.

I still do not understand other ponies.

"I'm sorry if I offended you, but by my definition, I don't think I could ever be a hero either. Very few ponies can. I would simply consider myself a good stallion at best, and you a good mare at the least."

"So what is this definition of yours, then? How is it different?"

"Do you remember our discussion on fear?"

"Of course."

"Well firstly, a hero must be courageous, not brave. If they are afraid of not taking action, then they are simply ordinary, yet brave. A hero must not be coerced into their deeds, they must be act simply on their will, no consequence shall come of their inaction."

"I suppose that makes sense. The motivation for my battle with Nightmare Moon was in part the consequences I would face for inaction, so that's why I'm not a heroine?"

"Partially."

"Partially? What else is there?"

"Your battle with Nightmare Moon, how did it end?"

"Well, after Nightmare Moon was transformed into Luna, princess Celestia reappeared, and the sisters made up after so many years."

"And after that?"

"There was a banquet to celebrate the reunion of the sisters."

"Were you and your friends honored at this banquet?"

"Of course."

"Then I would state this could also provide you are not a hero, simply a good mare."

"Why?"

"Earlier I spoke of recognition, that this is the motive to all our behavior. Could it have been a motivator in your fight as well?"

"Now hold on, I never asked to be honored..."

"No, but would you be upset if you weren't?"

"Of course not!"

"You were upset when I, a lone, undoubtedly crazy pony, said you were not a hero."

"...fair enough. Yes, I suppose I would be upset if I didn't receive some credit."

"Tell me, who else fought to stop Nightmare Moon?"

"My friends of course! Applejack, Pinkie Pie-"

"What about the two guards stallions who charged her as soon as she emerged, but were quickly knocked out?"

"Oh, uh, I guess I hadn't thought about them..."

"Can you tell me their names?"

"No...I don't know them."

"They were heroes, Twilight."

"But they didn't stop her! They didn't even slow her down for a second!"

"Exactly."

"Huh?"

"Tell me, Twilight, your battle with Nightmare Moon, was it hard?"

"It certainly wasn't a walk in the park...but looking back I did manage to win with just a few scrapes and bruises. I suppose I've had worse days, yeah."

"Those stallions were knocked unconscious and fell 30 feet to the hard ground. One broke his wing very badly."

"Why tell me this? Are you trying to make me feel guilty or something?"

"No! Not at all, I'm just trying to provide some context. You saved Equestria, there is no doubt, but there were others who fought. Do you believe winning is what makes a hero? In the end, must the hero always triumph?"

"No...I suppose not, but they were destroyed! It was stupid for them to fight her in the first place!"

"Again, exactly."

"I don't understand, what are you getting at with all this?"

"Twilight, my definition of a hero is not simple, nor is it happy. It is, and will always be, destined to be tragic.

A hero is courageous, acting when there is no fear of not acting. Those stallions could have stood there on the ground and watched everything unroll safely from a distance. Yet they acted, in spite of tremendous fear, they acted.

Secondly, a hero neither needs nor wants recognition, for their deed are self satisfactory, as they are recognized by themselves.

But mostly, a hero is separated by their will.

You see, a normal pony will do what is right when it is easy.

A good pony will do what is right when it is hard.

But a hero?

A hero does what is right...














When it is impossible.

Author's Note:

This chapter will probably anger a few people out there, mostly based on the controversial philosophies expressed wherein. Again, these ideas will all be relevant to the first major story arc, which will be coming soon. This marks chapter 10, the end of the first leg, the philosophy and mind of Clockwork. I do hope you will stick around, despite my sporadic and strangely grouped updates. I look forward to writing for you in the future!

EDIT: To people who feel the past 2 chapters have been dialogue heavy and a force feeding of philosophy, please note that the purpose of these chapters is to expose you the Clockwork as a character. If you disagree with his philosophies you are not wrong or right, you are simply not a magic pony who has a 1,000 year old isolated mind inside a young stallions body in a world of magic. As an author please know I respect and appreciate all philosophies and creeds, and this is simply that of the character. This style of writing is NOT indicative of future chapters, it is to attempt to grind through one characters stance on some of the most complicated literary themes in like 1,000 words. To those who say Twilight is dumbed down, for the sake of this dialogue, yes, because each point clockwork makes has a thousand possible contradictions that would lead to a debate on empiricism which has been going on for literally half of a millennia. She is playing the role, for the most part, of the shut-up-and-listen student. In my defense, if you had just been exposed to someone who had the ability to stop time, and then kissed you, all in 5 minutes, you might be inclined to hear what they have to say.