• Published 28th Jul 2012
  • 5,419 Views, 467 Comments

Family 101 - Kail



Now that Scootaloo has a family they need to get used to each other. What could go wrong.

  • ...
15
 467
 5,419

A Good Day

Scootaloo was sleeping peacefully, curled up in her sleeping bag on the clubhouse floor. As far as the filly was concerned all was right with the world. Untill she was rudely awakened by a hoof poking her forehead.

Groaning, Scootaloo cracked her eyes open and saw the blurry outline of a pony standing over her.

“Who?....”

The pony shook it’s head and trotted to the nearby window, pulling the shutter cord and letting in the morning sun.

“Come on blank flank up and at ‘em.”

Hearing that line, it took Scootaloo all of three seconds to become fully awake. Focusing on the previously mysterious pony Scootaloo rubbed her eyes to make sure she was right.

“Diamond Tiara? How’d you find the clubhouse?”

Diamond Tiara rolled her eyes and smirked at the pegasus.

“I keep tabs on you guys, well I keep tabs on everyone really but that’s beside the point. Wake up the other two, we need to talk.”

Scootaloo was about to question Diamond but knowing how the rich filly was she simply sighed and roused Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom. After some not so gentle prodding, grumbling, and pulling the three friends were up and sitting at one end of their clubhouses table while Diamond sat opposite them.

Apple Bloom yawned and turned her groggy stare on Diamond.

“So, what’s so important you gotta wake us up so early in the mornin’ to talk about?”

Diamond gave the apple filly a flat look. “You three broke into my house.”

Scootaloo and Apple Bloom chuckled nervously as Sweetie Belle spoke up. “Oh yeah, we did. Sorry about the back door.”

Diamond Tiara waved a hoof in dismissal. “Never mind the door. Just tell me why you decided to break into my house of all things when you could've, oh I don’t know, asked me for help.”

Apple Bloom scoffed. “Yeah cuz you’ve been so helpful and understandin’ in the past. What were we thinkin’?”

Diamond Tiara’s ears dropped and she cast her eyes to the floor. “Ok I guess I deserved that.”

Sweetie Belle got up and moved to sit closer to Diamond. Putting a hoof on her shoulder as she spoke.

“But she’s kinda right Diamond. You’ve never been very nice, or helpful, or considerate, or....”

Diamond’s head rose and she gave Sweetie Belle an annoyed look. Sweetie Belle coughed awkwardly and continued.

“What I mean is, you’ve never been friendly to us before so why help us now?”

Diamond gestured at Scootaloo. “She gave me a few things to think about. But even before that I.... thought about how I’ve been to you three. And to a few others.”

Diamond looked at each of the others in turn before lowering her head again . “What I want to say is.... I’m sorry.”

After Diamonds apology, silence dominated the clubhouse. Apple Bloom was staring slack jawed at Diamond while Sweetie Belle sat with a confused look on her face. Scootaloo meanwhile, was staring at Diamond with a look of concentration. After a few seconds of looking the rich filly over, Scootaloo stood and moved to sit beside Diamond.

“Well if you’re sorry then how about we be friends?”

Diamonds head shot up to look at Scootaloo who was holding a hoof in her direction and wearing a smile. After glancing at Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, who wore smiles of their own, Diamond took the offered hoof.

As Scootaloo released her hoof Diamond tilted her head.

“Thanks but why would you want to be my friend after everything I’ve done?”

Scootaloo shrugged. “I gave a changeling the chance to be my mom so why not give you a chance to be my friend?”

Diamonds confused expression melded into a smirk. “Well it might hurt my reputation but I guess I can hang out with you blank flanks.”

The other three fillies rolled their eyes and Apple Bloom bumped Diamonds shoulder with her own.

“You ain’t ever gonna change are ya?”

Daimond chuckled. “Nope.”

Sweetie Belle giggled. “Well now that we’re friends how about we go to Sugar Cube Corner to celebrate.”

Receiving nods all around the four fillies vacated the clubhouse and headed toward town.
==================================

As the fillies went about their day Lightning and Quciksilver were sitting in their living room chatting.

“So Silver, why aren’t you at work?”

Quicksilver shrugged. “Same reason you’ve been reassigned. Looks like the elements went on some mission or other. At least that’s what I’d guess.”

Nodding, Lightning rose from her chair and trotted towards the door.

“Since we’ve got some time to ourselves how about we enjoy the nice weather?”

Quicksilver smiled as she moved to follow Lightning. “Sure. Let’s have some fun.”

After exiting their home the pair headed down the street Quicksilver glanced at Lightning.

“Any idea where you want to go?”

Lightning nodded with a smile. “I was thinking the park. sound good?”

“Yeah, let’s go.”

Turning right onto main street Lightning and Quicksilver continued down till they were at the more rural part of Ponyville. Arriving at Ponyville park the two found a tree to recline under while watching the other groups of ponies around them.

Quicksilver chuckled as she saw a group of fillies and colts playing tag. Watching the group a bit longer she turned to Lightning with a smirk.

“Hey Lightning, feel up to a game of tag?”

Lightning rose a brow. “Tag?”

Quicksilver stood and poked Lightning in the forehead. “Yep, and you’re it.”
Before Lightning could react Quicksilver galloped away shouting over her shoulder. “Catch me if you can slowpoke!”

Lightning stared blankly for a second before springing up and chasing after Quicksilver. “Oh it’s on Silver!”

At first the two remained in their pony forms as they chased each other around the park but soon they flashed to their changeling forms and used the ground and air. Jumping, rolling, zigging and zagging all around Ponyville like a pair of foals at play.

Lightning had no clue what Quicksilver was thinking when she started this game but all she cared about now was that she was having fun. More fun than she’d had in a long time. Doing something as simple as chasing Quicksilver, or being chased when Silver was it, felt really good to Lightning.

After playing for the better part of an hour the two sat down to rest, laughing lightly as they did.

Lightning leaned against Quicksilver as she caught her breath. “I needed that, thanks Silver.”

Quicksilver threw a leg around Lightning, holding her close. “I thought you could use a little fun after all the stuff you’ve been through.”

Lightning nuzzled Quicksilver, smiling. ‘Yeah, sorry again for keeping it a secret from you.”

Quicksilver shook her head. “Water under the bridge. I understand why you hid the truth. Next time just let me help, it’d save you a lot of stress.”

Lightning made an affirmative noise before leaning up and kissing Quicksilvers cheek. “I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks again for the game.”

Smiling the pair relaxed against each other, just enjoying each others company and watching as a few clouds rolled by in a lazy breeze.
==================================

At Sugarcube Corner, four fillies sat at a table chatting happily, that is until a certain gray glasses wearing filly interrupted them.

“Diamond? What’re you doing with these losers?”

Diamond Tiara glanced at her long time friend before turning to Scootaloo and the others. “Excuse me for a second.”

As Diamond hopped off her seat and lead Silver Spoon away Sweetie Belle looked at her friends worriedly.

"You think Silver Spoon will be mad at Diamond for hanging out with us?”

Apple Bloom shrugged. “Beats me, Ah’m still surprised she’s bein’ as nice as she is. Usually Ah cain’t stand her for more than a minute er two but she’s been pretty ok today.”

Scootaloo chuckled. “Hey who knows, maybe she’ll even convince Silver Spoon to be nice to us.”

Sweetie Belle smiled at that. “That’d be nice. It sure would be a lot more fun without them being bullies anymore.”

As the conversation between the three drifted to different topics Diamond had led Silver Spoon to a quieter corner of the bakery to talk.

Silver Spoon gave Diamond an annoyed look. “So Diamond, what’s up with you? Are you friends with those three now?”

Diamond flicked her mane and adopted a bored expression. “Well maybe I am, is that such a bad thing?”

Silver Spoon rolled her eyes. “Oh come on Diamond. They’re just some nobody blank flanks. Why would you even want to be around them, let alone be their friend.”

Diamnod’s head lowered as she sighed tiredly. “Spoony, how long have we been friends?”

The use of her foalhood friends nickname for her made Silver Spoon’s expression soften and become serious.

“Since we were foals Diamond. You’ve always been my best friend.”

Diamond nodded. “And since then how many other friends have you or I had?”

Silver Spoon tilted her head in thought. “Well....”

Seeing her friend rack her brain in a feudal attempt to think of anyone Diamond continued.

“See? Spoony, I’m not just your best friend I’m your only friend. And your my only friend. What does that tell you?”

Silver spoon scoffed. “Well obviously everyone else is just intimidated by how great we are.”

Diamond sighed in frustration. “Really? Think about how we’ve treated everyone else. Even when they did nothing to us. Like Twist. First we teased her for not having her cutie mark but even when she got it did we stop?”

Silver Spoon stared at Diamond, stunned, as the pink filly spoke. Her tone rising in volume and anger.

“No, we didn’t. We just kept finding more reasons to tease her. And not just her, we do it to everyone! We push everyone else away and I’m tired of it!”

Diamond was breathing hard as she finished, earning a few stares from the other patrons who’d heard her. For her part Silver Spoon was still unable to say anything to rebuff what her friend had said. She knew that her friend was right, they did tease the other fillies and colts their age but they weren’t that bad. Right?

When Diamond calmed down a bit she continued. “Spoony. My dad’s going to try and get Scootaloo’s parents kicked out of Ponville. And he’s going to take Scootaloo away from them. Scootaloo called me out when I teased her about it and I got to thinking. Should I be the way I am just because somebody’s different then me? My dad thinks he’s right but he’s not. Just like I’m not right for teasing other ponies.”

Silver Spoon swallowed nervously before she finally decided to speak. “Does this mean that....that you don’t want to be my friend anymore? You’re gonna be theirs?”

Diamond shook her head. “No Spoony, I want all of us to be friends. I want to be a better pony then I’ve been. So what d’you say? You think you can be their friend?”

Silver Spoon looked to the table that Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootalo sat before turning back to Diamond.

“I’ll try Diamond. But one question. Have we really been so bad to them? To the other ponies in our class?”

Diamond nodded, her ears low. “Really bad Spoon. I thought about it the rest of the day after Scootaloo talked me down and the truth is we’ve not been very good ponies.”

Silver Spoon nodded then sighed. “Like I said, I’ll try to get along with them but they kinda annoy me.”

Diamond chuckled. “Don’t worry Spoon, they still annoy me but they’re not so bad after a while. Come on.”

Leading Silver Spoon back to the others, the five fillies talked and within a few minutes the bakery was full of laughter coming from the table as the group of five began joking and teasing one another. Pinkie looked across the room from her post at the counter and giggled.

“Not to sure about how this works with canon but hey, it’s nice when somepony makes new friends. Nice work author.”

Mrs. Cake, who’d come out to restock the display at the counter, gave Pinkie an odd look.

“Who’re you talking to dear?”

Pinkie just giggled again. “Oh nobody Mrs. Cake. Just a “friend”.”

Giving a shrug and a small smile Mrs. Cake went back to the kitchen to continue baking.
==============================

Meanwhile at the law office of Pokey and Pierce, Filthy Rich was sitting at a desk with Pierce and was smiling broadly as the two talked over a glass of scotch.

“Well Mr. Pierce, soon this trial and hopefully these changelings will all be behind us by tomorrow.”

Pierce smiled as he patted a thick folder that sat on his desk. “Indeed Mr. Rich, everything’s certainly looking to be in our favor.”

Filthy nodded as he took a drink. Yes everything was going his way, and he had the evidence to prove it. Although he was confused as to where his copy went it didn’t matter. The trial was tomorrow, he would burry Lightning and then move on to getting the rest of the changelings out of his town.