• Published 28th Jul 2012
  • 5,419 Views, 467 Comments

Family 101 - Kail



Now that Scootaloo has a family they need to get used to each other. What could go wrong.

  • ...
15
 467
 5,419

A Story and a Letter

The time after my release from the cavern was rather hectic at first but once my presence was explained, and sworn to secrecy, I freely roamed the less public parts of the castle. Much of my newfound freedom was spent close to Celestia. However, I knew I couldn’t monopolise the time of the ruler of a nation. Now matter how much fun it was. So when Celestia and I weren’t “cuddling” I’d taken to wandering the areas of the castle I remembered.

As luck would have it the more open rooms and corridors were newer than the halls I’d walked before my plunge into madness so I was mostly left alone. Today, however, it appeared I’d have company on one of my excursions through the castle. As I’d rounded a corner that led into one of the old archives I found Luna. Who seemed to be waiting for me.

The princess of the night strode over and came alongside me offering a smile.

“Good day Chrysalis. Your horn’s looking much better.”

I flicked my eyes up to my repaired horn and chuckled. “Yes. Celestia’s love really moved the process along.”

Luna nodded. “That was one of the first things Tia wanted to fix when you finally came to your senses and accepted her offer. She never was one to do a task halfway.”

I smirked at the perfect setup Luna unknowingly gave me. “I’ll say. She worked so vigorously I thought I’d pass out.”

Luna gave me a questioning look before her face suddenly turned an impressive shade of lavender. She glared weekly at me with her ears lowered. “Must you be so crude?”

I flipped my mane and smirked. “It’s part of my charm.”

Luna shook her head but grinned. “What Tia sees in you I’ll never know.” Lunas brow furrowed in thought. “Actually I’d never asked how the two of you first became partners.”

My smirk softened into a nostalgic smile as I nodded to a hallway to our left. “Follow me and I’ll tell you.”

As we walked down a corridor lined with old portraits of Equestiras past heroes and leaders I turned my head to Luna.

“Do you remember the period right after the three tribes signed the Equestrian Accord?”

Luna nodded. “Yes, that was a few decades before Celestia and I revealed ourselves to the ponies of Equestria. Until that time, everyone had thought alicorns were a myth.”

I nodded and stopped to point at a portrait of Clover the Clever. “After you and Celestia took over as the rulers of the ponies you sent several of them out to survey the new land they’d inhabited. Clover was the first to find my kingdom. Hidden away in what used to be Paradise valley.”

Luna hummed thoughtfully. “Ah yes, I remember her. Bright young mage. Never got out from under Starswirls shadow but made many advancements in the art of enchantments. She was the first pony you’d ever encountered?”

“Yes. She was so full of questions and admittedly so was I. I’d thought mine was the only race to inhabit Equestria. Soon after her visit I’d asked her to take me to her kind so we may become allies.”

I turned from the painting and started leading Luna through the halls again. “It took awhile to organize a formal meeting but eventually I did get an audience with “Her Radiance” as the ponies called Celestia.”

Luna giggled. “Oh I’d nearly forgotten those old titles Tia and I had back then. What was mine again? Oh yes, I was “Lady Umbra”.” Luna shook her head as she continued to giggle lightly. “What were we thinking back then?”

I chuckled. “I’m not sure but the first time I met Celestia, Radiance fit her very well.” A smile settled on my face as I remembered that day.

================================================

I stood outside the large doors leading to the throne room of Equestrias ruler. I’d taken extra time before this meeting to make myself as presentable as possible. After all, making a good first impression was the key in these situations. I gave myself another lookover as I waited. My long turquoise mane was perfect, as was the luster of my snow white coat. Seeing that nothing about my form was amiss i let a confident smirk settle on my face.

Seconds later I schooled my features into a more neutral state as I heard myself announced and the doors began to open.

“Presenting Queen Papilio. Ruler of the Breezies and sovereign of Paradise valley. Step forward and behold Her Radiance, Princess Celestia of Equestria.”

I made my way into the throne room and focused on the unicorn that sat on her dais at the far end of the room. Her coat was brilliant and seemed to shine with an ethereal light. Her mane flowed as if captured by a summer breeze. I had to admit, for a simple unicorn she was a sight to behold.

The princess smiled as I came closer, rising from her seat. As she did my breath caught as she spread a pair of wings I hadn’t noticed. The appendages were held aloft and spread outward forming a cloak of alabaster feathers that caught the light flooding from the windows. The whole effect caused a halo of light around this impressive mare and nearly froze me in my tracks. This Celestia seemed to exude confidence from her very pores and her mere presence all but demanded respect.

I was brought out of my stupor as Celestia addressed me. “It’s a pleasure to meet you Queen Papilio. The mage Clover has told us much about you and her description does not do you justice.”

I shook myself mentally and bowed. “The pleasure is mine your Radiance. I must admit I was not expecting to be meeting with one such as yourself.”

Celestia laughed lightly and her eyes shone merrily. “You’re not the first to say as much. Although you fared much better than the griffon ambassador. The poor falcon nearly molted on the spot once he saw me.”

I smiled. “I imagine he looked quite amusing. But moving from that might we begin speaking about an alliance?”

Celestia nodded and gestured to a few maids standing to the side of the room. “Of course. Let’s make ourselves comfortable, the throne room is fine but I prefer to become acquainted in less formal surroundings. Follow me.”

Celestia led me to a rather large sitting room and the maids from earlier brought in a tray holding tea and various sweets.

As we took our seats Celestia levitated a cup of tea and a slice of cake to me. “I hope this is appropriate. I’m unsure of what a Breezie eats. Clover never seemed to learn that while visiting you.”

I grasped the cup in my own magical aura and took a sip. “Well we aren’t that different from ponies. We have a slight empathic nature but aside from that we are just like you.”

Celestia nodded. “Before we begin I do have one question that has puzzled me since hearing of you. And my curiosity has grown since meeting you in person. May I?”

I nodded and Celestia continued. “I’ve never met another alicorn, save for my sister and mother. When Clover mentioned you had both wings and a horn I’d thought you were an alicorn as well. But now I see you are something else completely. Forgive me for my bluntness but what are you?”

I laughed at that. The ruler of a nation and an alicorn but she looked at me with the curiosity of a foal. I found it endearing and decided I quite liked Celestia.

“I’m the breezie equivalent to an alicorn I suppose. I don’t know when or even where I was born. All I know is that one day I found the breezies and they accepted me as their ruler. I have spent my life since then trying to lead them as best I can. Which is why I wanted to meet you. I think we can benefit greatly from each other.”

Celestia smiled. “Well then I suggest that we get this alliance underway.”

====================================================

Luna rose a brow at me. “It sounds as if you and Tia “hit things off” rather well when you first met.”

I chuckled. “It was easy to befriend Celestia. It helped that she wasn’t like the other rulers I’d met. The griffons were always so serious and the minotaurs were to single minded. The diamond dogs were easy enough to get along with but that was mostly due to them only wanting to dig for their jewels.”

Luna hummed in agreement. “You have a point. By the way, where are you leading us?”

I turned one last corner and used my magic to open the doors that stood in front of us. “It’s right through here.”

I led Luna into what once was a private sitting room. The furniture was covered in sheets as were several paintings. I approached one of the paintings and levitated the sheet away while summoning a ball of light.

“Celestia had this made years after our first meeting. I found it here a few days ago.”

Luna moved to stand beside me and studied the painting. In it Celestia and I were seated under a cherry tree in full bloom. We were leaning against one another as we watched the cherry blossoms dance in the midday breeze.

“Tia used to have this in her room. I’d wondered where she put it.” Luna turned to me with her ears lowered. “After you lost yourself she had it removed. It hurt her to look at this.”

My head lowered and I sighed. “I know. At the time I could care less about Celestia’s feelings but now.” I rose my head and took in the smiling face of Celestia from long ago. “All I can think about is how I’ve hurt her.”

Luna extended a wing and laid it across my back. “For what it’s worth, I believe you’re on the right track to atoning for what you did. Celestia forgave you and I must admit I’m starting to consider you a friend. You need to forgive yourself though.”

I scoffed. “Someday I might.” I turned to Luna and rose a brow. “Now that I’ve told you something why don’t you tell me why you were in these old halls? I doubt you were just taking a stroll.”

Luna chuckled. “It seems I’ve been found out. Celestia sent me to find you. She has something she wants to talk to you about.”

“Then I shouldn’t keep her waiting.” I lit my horn and in a flash of green fire was gone.

================================================

I reappeared in Celestia’s personal chambers and was rewarded with a light nuzzle from the solar princess.

“Hello Chryssie. Luna mentioned that I wanted to talk?’

I nodded. “Yes but she didn’t say what about.”

Celestia motioned for me to follow her. She led me into her study and levitated a scroll to me. “I was about to send out this letter and wanted your thoughts on it.”

I rose a brow but decided to read the letter before I said anything. After reading the letter I gave Celestia a dubious look. “Are you sure about this?”

Celestia nodded. “I think it’s the best way to go about things. So what do you think?”

I looked over the letter again before sighing and levitating a quill from it’s inkwell. After adding a sentence of my own to the letter I gave it back to Celestia. “If you’re serious about this then I think these two should know.”

Celestia read over what I’d written and smiled. “Very well.” Re rolling the scroll Celestia burned it with her magic, the ashes turning green before swirling in on themselves and vanishing.

I shook my head. “I hope you know what you’re doing.”

Celestia giggled. “Have some faith in me. Now if you’ve nothing else to do I could use some help with my paperwork.”

Without saying a word I levitated half of the stack of papers on Celestia’s desk and a quill over to a side table and began working.

Celestia giggled again positioning herself at her desk and started in on her half of the work. The things I do for love.

======================================

Twilight was cataloging some data on her latest project when Spike, who'd been shelving books, belched a gout of green flame which formed into a letter.

Twilight trotted over to Spike who held the letter to her with a confused look on his face.

“Were we expecting a letter from the princess?”

Twilight shook her head as she unrolled the letter. “Not that I know of. Let’s see what it says.”

After reading over the letter three times Twilight lowered the letter wit a blank look on her face. Spike waved a hand in front of Twilight’s face.

“Twi? You alright?”

Twilight shook her head and sprung to her hooves. “Spike, get ready for a trip to Canterlot.”

Spike was confused at the abrupt declaration but saluted and was about to run out to get train tickets when Twilight called to him. “One more thing Spike.”

Spike turned back to Twilight as she continued. “Tell Lightning and Quicksilver that they need to come with us.”

Author's Note:

Finals are finally over! In celebration of that, and because I love you all so much, here's another chapter. Just don't expect me to be this fast all the time. Enjoy.