• Published 28th Jul 2012
  • 5,419 Views, 467 Comments

Family 101 - Kail



Now that Scootaloo has a family they need to get used to each other. What could go wrong.

  • ...
15
 467
 5,419

Dropping in

When Lightning and Quicksilver were out of sight Scootaloo turned to Fluttershy. “Is it ok if I go hang out with my friends now?”

Fluttershy nodded. “Just make sure you’re back before dark.”

Scootaloo smiled and hopped on her scooter. “Thanks Fluttershy, see ya later!”

Speeding down the dirt road Scootaloo made her way towards Sweet Apple Acres, eager to share an idea she’d come up with the night before.

As she came to the outer orchards of the apple farm Scootaloo turned off the road and made her way through the lines of trees, headed for the little clearing that had the CMC clubhouse. After rounding one last line of trees, Scootaloo headed straight for the ramp at the base of the tree. Parking her scooter, Scootaloo trotted up the ramp and threw open the door.

“Stop what you’re doing cuz I’ve got an idea!”

Diamond Tiara rolled her eyes. “Oh boy, another fantastic idea by Scootaloo. Good thing my will’s up to date.”

Scootaloo ignored the comment and walked to the center of the room. “Today we’re going to have an adventure.”

Sweetie Belle tilted her head. “An adventure? What kind of adventure?”

Scootaloo grinned and struck a dynamic pose. ‘We’re gonna explore the Everfree forest!”

There was a beat of silence before Apple Bloom spoke. “Anybody else wanna tell ‘er what’s wrong with that sentence or should Ah do it?”

Silver Spoon held up a hoof and hopped eagerly. “Ooh let me do it. I wanna do it!”

Apple Bloom motioned for Spoon to go ahead and the grey filly stepped forward.

Clearing her throat Silver Spoon turned to Scootaloo. “Did you take one to many spills on that scooter of yours or do you really think that going into the Everfree forest, a forest filled with all kinds of pony eating beasts, is a good idea?”

Scootaloo sat and put her hooves together in a pleading gesture. “Just hear me out. I promise this is a good idea.”

The other fillies thought over giving Scootaloo a chance to explain what she was talking about and after thinking it over for a few moments each nodded and Silver Spoon turned to Scootaloo.

“Ok, we’ll bite. What’s this idea of yours.”

Scootaloo grinned and motioned for the others to follow her as she headed for the stairs leading up to the observatory at the top of the clubhouse. When everyone filed into the upper room Scootaloo went to the telescope and began positioning it while talking.

“The other day I was looking through the telescope up here and found this.”

Scootaloo continued to move the telescope until she spotted a what she’d been looking for. Scootaloo stepped back, “Have a look.”

Apple Bloom put her eye up to the telescope and saw an oddly shaped tree that rose above the surrounding forest. Arching a brow, she turned to Scootaloo.

“What am Ah lookin’ at here?”

Scootaloo rose a hoof and adjusted a knob on the telescope. “Look again.”

Apple Bloom took another look. At first she couldn’t see anything different but then she noticed that half of the tree’s trunk was actually stone. Apple Bloom stepped back and turned to Sweetie Belle, Diamond, and Silver Spoon. “Hey y’all, ya gotta see this.”

As each filly looked through the telescope Scootaloo started talking again. “I found that the other day when I was up here. I thought it was kinda interesting so I went to Zecora and asked her if she knew what that was. She told me that is was some old ruins and it’s pretty close to the edge of the Everfree. It’s only about as far in as Zecora’s hut so we should be able to get there and look around with no problem.”

Sweetie Belle turned to Scootaloo with a nervous look. “Are you sure it’s safe?”

Scootaloo waved a hoof dismissively. “Zecora said she goes there all the time to get a kind of moss and she’s never seen anything.” Scootaloo looked to her friends with a wide smile. “So are you guys in?”

Apple Bloom nodded. “Ah’m all for it. I go in the forest all the time to visit Zecora so this shouldn’t be all that different.”

Sweetie Belle sighed. “I’ll go but we need to be careful.”

Diamond snorted in annoyance. “Do we really have to go into that dark, dank forest just for some “adventure”?”

Scootaloo’s smirk widened. “We don’t have to go in there for adventure. We get to.”

Diamond rolled her eyes. “Whatever, I’m in.”

Silver Spoon put a hoof to her forehead and sighed. “Once more into the breach I guess. Why do I always follow you guys?”

Scootaloo went up to Silver Spoon and threw a foreleg around her withers. “Cuz we’re awesome. And the fact that no matter how much you complain, you love every minute of what we do.”

Silver Spoon chuckled. “Yeah, yeah. You’re all just a barrel of fun. Let’s just go to the deep dark forest already.”

Apple Bloom nodded and started down the stairs. “Right, let’s get our flanks in gear girls. Move out!” Galloping down the ramp, Apple Bloom was quickly followed by the others as they made for the Everfree forest.

============================================================

Apple Bloom stood in front of the rest of her group looking over a list they’d made. She scanned down the paper before turning to the others as they all stood just outside the forest.

Apple Bloom arched a brow. “Flashlights?”

Scootaloo nodded. “Got them in the saddlebags.”

“Map?”

Sweetie Belle saluted with a smile. “Check.”

“Canteens?”

Diamond Tiara rolled her eyes and nodded. “Yes. Now can we stop with the Twilight routine and get this crazy train rolling?”

Apple Bloom chuckled. “Sure thing yer highness.” She turned to Scootaloo. “This is your show so lead the way.”

Scootaloo nodded with a smirk. “Ok, follow me.”

Scootaloo began trotting toward the path that led to Zecora’s hut. Scootaloo knew that they would have to follow the path almost all the way to where the zebra lived before they’d need to turn right, leaving the path. From there it would be up to them to navigate through the forest and find what they were looking for. Scootaloo hoped that Sweetie Belle was good at drawing their course once they strayed from the path or this little outing could get a bit complicated.

While the group walked there was the usual idle chatter about what was going on in town, at school, and things in general until Scootaloo saw the trail start bending left.

Scootaloo turned to her friends and nodded her head to the right. “We gotta go this way. Sweetie, start marking where we go on the map.”

Facing forward again Scootaloo grinned. “Ok girls, this is where the fun starts.” With that Scootaloo led the group off the path and through the untamed flora of the forest.

========================================================

“Are we close yet?” Came Diamond’s whine from the back of the group.

Scootaloo rolled her eyes. “Just a bit further.”

Silver Spoon huffed. “You said that hours ago.”

Apple Bloom chuckled. “It’s only been half an hour. Sweetie Belle, what’s the map say?”

Sweetie looked over the map, measuring the distance they’d travelled with her hoof. . “We should be close. The place Scootaloo marked is only a hoof tip away now.”

Apple Bloom nodded and trotted up beside Scootaloo. “You see anything up here yet?”

Scootaloo nodded. “Yeah. Awhile back I started seeing that moss Zecora talked about growing on one or two of the trees. We should find those ruins in a minute.”

No sooner had Scootaloo said that then the group started to see collapsing stonework among the trees and shrubs of the forest. And before long the soil under their hooves gave way to the remains of a cobblestone road that led them into what looked like an old village. Collapsing buildings of all sizes surrounded them and in the middle of it all was the tower that a massive tree had grown around.

After glancing around for a while, Scootaloo turned to the others. “Ok I think we should split up so we can look around more.” She pointed at Apple Bloom. “AB, you take Sweetie and Diamond and go look at some of those buildings.” Scootaloo then turned to Silver Spoon. “Spoon, you’re with me. We’re gonna go check out that tower. We'll all look around for an hour or so then meet back here. Any questions?”

Diamond rose a hoof with an annoyed look on her face. “Yeah, I got a few. Who put you in charge and how come I gotta go with these two?”

Scootaloo rolled her eyes and smirked. “Because this was my idea and I put you with Apple Bloom cuz she can keep ya in line.”

Diamond huffed while Apple Bloom chuckled, tapping Diamond on the shoulder. “C’mon Diamond. Let’s go see what we can find out here. You too Sweetie Belle.”

As the three walked off Scootaloo turned to Silver Spoon. “I’m surprised you didn’t have anything to say.”

Silver Spoon chuckled. “I could think of worse places to be.” Spoon brought a hoof up to her chin and tapped it. “Although the Everfree forest does rank pretty high on bad places to be.” She shrugged. “Maybe I’m finally as crazy as you now.”

Scootaloo just shook her head and grinned. “Whatever you say Spoon. Now let’s check out that tower.” Silver Spoon nodded and the pair headed for the center of the ruins.

====================================================

It took Scootaloo and Silver Spoon some time, what with the collapsed buildings and several spots of dense plant life, but they eventually reached the tower. Going through a collapsed section of wall to the towers interior Scootaloo brought out her flashlight and shook it to make sure the charge was full before turning it on. Sweeping the beam of light around Scootaloo saw a set of stairs on the far end of the room.

“Let’s head that way. Maybe there’s something cool further up.”

Silver Spoon nodded and the two walked toward the stairs. As they crossed the halfway point of the room a loud groaning sound made them stop in their tracks. When they heard a cracking sound come from underneath them Scootaloo shined her light at their hooves. Seeing a large crack beginning to form in the floor they froze.

Scootaloo turned to Silver Spoon worriedly. “Ok let’s try to slowly inch over to the...”

Before she could finish another cracking sound echoed through the room and the ground sunk a few inches as another load groan came from the floor.

Turning to each other, Silver Spoon gave Scootaloo a deadpan look. “I blame you for this.”

And just as the grey filly finished her sentence the ground gave way and the two began tumbling through the air as they fell.

==========================================================

The initial fall caught Scootaloo off guard and she began flailing in the open air before she remembered she could fly. Just as she opened her wings and started to ascend she saw Silver Spoon fall past her and Scootaloo was suddenly struck by a very obvious, and in this case very dangerous, fact. Silver Spoon couldn’t fly.

Quickly aiming herself downwards Scootaloo shot after the plummeting Silver Spoon. Scootaloo stretched her forelegs out as far as she could and shouted to her friend.

“Spoon, reach for me!”

Hey eyes wide with fear, Silver Spoon reached out as far as she could to Scootaloo. As the seconds ticked by Scootaloo grit her teeth as she pushed her wings to flap harder, trying to close the last few inches to Silver Spoon. With a few more strong flaps Scootaloo was able to grab Spoon’s outstretched hoof and pulled the filly close. It looked like the pair was home free until Scootaloo tried to fly upwards. Her wings seized and pain shot through her flight muscles. Her wings began to slow and the two fillies began dropping again.

Chancing a look down, Scootaloo could barely make out the shadowed parts of the ground below rushing up to meet them. Straining her wings Scootaloo slowed their decent as much as she could before going into a spiraling glide. The speed of the fall reduced but as the ground got closer Scootaloo could tell that their landing would be rough. Just before they met the ground Scootaloo flipped herself over and curled around Silver Spoon.

After the first impact with the ground Scootaloo’s grip loosened a bit causing herself and Silver Spoon to roll in different directions as they landed.

At first the two laid still where they’d stopped rolling and tried to catch their breath. After a few moments Scootaloo shakily got to her hooves and walked over to Silver Spoon. Wincing at the pain that went through her wings.

Scootaloo nudged Silver Spoon when she reached the gray filly. “Hey. You ok?”

Silver Spoon groaned and got up but when she put weight on her right leg she yelped in pain and held the limb to her chest. “Ow. I hurt my leg but I think everything else is fine. You?”

Scootaloo sighed. “My wings don’t feel right. They’re not broken but they really hurt. I think I must’ve pulled something.”

Silver Spoon nodded then turned her head in every direction. “What is this place?”

Scootaloo shrugged. “I guess this place was built over a cave or something.”

Silver Spoon suddenly went rigid. “Wait. If we’re stuck in a cave and you can’t fly us out does that mean...”

Scootaloo put a hoof on Silver Spoon’’s shoulder. “Hey don’t worry.” She pointed her other hoof further into the cavern. “It looks like this place goes further in. If we follow it there’s bound to be a way out.”

Silver Spoon looked to Scootaloo with wide, worried eyes. “You sure?”

Scootaloo grinned. “Trust me.”

Silver Spoon stared into Scootaloo’s eyes and the confidence she saw in the pegasus calmed her worries slightly. She nodded. “Ok.”

Scootaloo turned her head and rummaged through the saddlebag that had fallen off of Silver Spoon. After a few seconds her head came up with a flashlight in her mouth. She flicked the switch and was rewarded with a bright beam of light.

Scootaloo's grin widened. “Well thank Celestia for small miracles.” Strapping the light onto a loop on her Saddlebag Scootaloo offered a hoof to Silver Spoon. “Come on. Let’s find a way out of here.”

Helping up and steadying Silver on her hooves Scootaloo turned and started to make her way into the cavern. Silver Spoon staying right beside her.