• Published 28th Jul 2012
  • 5,419 Views, 467 Comments

Family 101 - Kail



Now that Scootaloo has a family they need to get used to each other. What could go wrong.

  • ...
15
 467
 5,419

Trials and Complications Pt. 3

Inside the jurors deliberation room, the gathered ponies discussed how they would rule on what they’d just heard. The fate of Lightning, Quicksilver and Scootaloo rested with these twelve. Lilly, Daisy, Roseluck, Doctor Whooves, Mr. Waddle, Caramel, Carrot Top, Aloe, Lotus, Lyra, Bon Bon, and Mr. Cake.

After several minutes of the group thinking in silence Mr. Cake decided to speak what was on everyones mind.

“So...How should we decide this?”

Caramel turned to the baker with a raised brow. “Well it’s obvious right? They’re guilty.”

Rose shook her head. “It’s not as simple as that. Sure Lightning did something wrong but was it really so bad in the end?”

Lilly turned to Rose with a questioning look on her face. “Are you serious Rose? She’s a changeling, how do we know that everything she’s said or done didn’t have an ulterior motive? Or that she’s not controlling her “friends” somehow?”

Carrot Top rolled her eyes. “Besides the fact that one of the ponies to speak on her behalf was the element of magic? I’ll admit I’m still a little unsure of her but Lightings not some monster waiting to pounce when we’re not looking.”

Lyra nodded. “She’s right. I was in Canterlot when the whole changeling invasion happened. Heck I was controlled by the Queen, but I don’t think Lightning is doing anything other than what she says she is.”

Bon Bon was the next to speak up. “And don’t forget, she did help defend Ponyville when the changelings attacked.”

Daisy frowned in thought. “But is it alright for a changeling to raise a pony? I mean, can Lightning and Quicksilver really provide for Scootaloo the way she needs?”

Aloe chuckled. “It seems to me that Miss Lighting is doing just that. I once heard Cheerilee saying how Scootaloo’s grades had improved with her mother around. Is that not proof enough?”

Lotus tilted her head. “That’s true but what do we really know about the changelings? We’ve employed a few at the spa and they do good work but I still feel....uneasy around them.”

Doctor Whooves smiled. “Well that’s the thing isn’t it? They’re so much like us but not really like us at all. It’s natural to be a bit weary around them but isn’t it a bit thrilling as well? A whole race thought lost to pony kind, and we get to interact with them. It’s all very fascinating!”

Mr. Cake sighed. “Fascinating or not, I’m just not sure what to decide. I’m a parent so I can see where Lightning is coming from when she did what she did to make sure no one questioned her about Scootaloo but does that make it right?”

Rose turned to Mr. Waddle who seemed to be deep in thought. “What about you Mr. Waddle? You’ve been awfully quiet.”

The aged stallion lifted his head and removed his glasses. After buffing them against his coat and replacing them he spoke.

“You know, I’ve been around since Ponyville was founded. I’ve seen all different types of ponies from all different walks of life come and go. I’m not sure about these changelings but I know one thing.”

Mr. Waddle paused and a small smile settled on his wrinkled muzzle. “Equestria was built on the idea of harmony. Now I might just be an old fool but I believe these changelings deserve a chance.”

When the others tried to rebut, Mr. Waddle held up a hoof. “I didn’t say let them off scot free. I’m just as jittery around them as any of you but I don’t think we need to send them away before really giving them a chance.”

The room fell silent for a moment before the Doctor stood and smiled. “Well if we’re done talking I think I’ve got a solution if you care to hear it.”
===============================

After two hours of waiting the sound of the door to the deliberation room opening caused everyone in the courtroom to turn their attention to the front of the room. Quiet murmuring floated throughout the room until judge Mercy spoke.

“Has the jury reached a verdict?”

Doctor Whooves stood. “We have your honor. We the jury find Ligtning innocent of the charges of foalnapping. We also find the changelings to not be a threat to us.”

At hearing a winning verdict for them, Lightning embraced Quicksilver as the ponies who supported them began chattering congratulations. Mercy clopped her hoof loudly on the bench to quiet them down.

“Please contain yourselves, Mr. Whooves has more to say.”

When the focus returned to him, the Doctor continued. “However, seeing as Lightning did break into a building and forge records we have decided she pay a fine.”

Mercy turned to Berry. “Is that acceptable Mrs. Punch?”

Berry smiled as she received emphatic nodding from both Lightning and Quicksilver. “That’ll be just fine your honor.”

Mercy odded. “Then I conclude this court and set the fine of 2500 bits to be paid by Lightning to the town of Ponyville. Dismissed.”

As the ponies began filing out of the courtroom Pierce alked up to Berry and held out a hoof.

“Good case Berry. Very stirring, for a drunk.”

Berry smirked and bumped Pierces hoof lightly with hers. “Thanks Pierce. That duality thing was a bold move, for a pompous jerk like you.”

After shooting a glare at Berry Pierce returned her smirk. “So drinks later?”

Berry nodded. “As long as you’re paying.”

Pierce rolled his eyes and turned to leave. “I’ll see you later then.’

Berry only shook her head and turned to her clients. The relieved changelings were talking with Scootaloo, who’d bolted toward her parents when the trial was over.

“So you can get the bits for the fine right?”

Lighting turned from her family and nodded to Berry. “I’ve got enough stashed away to cover it. Though I’ll need to work a few extra shifts to build our savings back up, it’s worth it.”

Lightning smiled as she looked back to Scootaloo and Quicksilver. “More then worth it.”

Berry chuckled. “Well just remember that you’re my drinking buddy for the weekend. I’ve wondered how much changelings can handle and now I can finally see for myself.”

Lightning nodded. “Sure thing.”

Giving a wave, Berry made her way out of the court room.

When Lightning turned back to her family Scootaloo smiled. “Can we go home now mom?”

“Sure thing Scoots. Let’s go home and relax.”

Quicksilver smirked. “Yeah, we need our rest for the next thing that comes at us don’t we?”

Scootaloo bumped Quicksilvers leg. “Don’t go jinxing us.”

Sharing a laugh the family exited the courtroom and made their way home.
==========================================

Meanwhile in Canterlot, Princess Luna was going over some documents, a quill in her magical grasp scrawling over the pages when a royal guard entered her chambers.

Giving a quick bow the guard addressed the princess of the night. “Princess, I have urgent news.”

Sparing the guard a quick glance Luna waved a hoof. “Well hurry then. I’ve got much to attend to and precious little time to do it in.”

Giving a huff Luna mumbled under her breath. “I just don’t understand Celestia sometimes...”

Seeing that Luna was flustered the guard was quick to get to the point. “It concerns the matter you tasked the Night Guard with.”

The hasty scratching of Luna’s quill halted and she looked up from her work.

Luna looked to the guard expectantly. “Somethings happened?”

The guard nodded. “Yes your majesty. The presence of yourself and Princess Celestia was.....requested.”

Luna trotted out from behind her desk and made her way past the guard and out into the castle halls.

“Find my sister and tell her that I’ll be waiting in the cavernes. After all, we mustn’t keep our guest waiting.”

Author's Note:

Short chapter is short I know but it's more of a wrap up then anything. Well on to the next.