• Published 14th Jul 2012
  • 1,222 Views, 41 Comments

The Story Of Sky Blue - Capulus



First FiM FanFic. Sorry if I got some things wrong, I have only seen S1, and read the wiki. FEEDBACK

  • ...
3
 41
 1,222

Awakening and Introduction

Observe. The town of Ponyville, one of the most beautiful towns in the magical land of Equestria. It is bustling with Pegasi, Unicorns, and Earth Ponies alike. See a dirt road, leading from one of the main gates, leading into a beautiful green forest. Follow the road, and you will see an unconscious blue pegasus pony, with a beautiful blue mane, and soft eyes, lying on the ground. She opens her eyes, showing them to be a magnificent vivid green. She blinks a few times, then jumps up. She looks around fearfully, taking in her unfamiliar surroundings. She has no idea how she got here. She has no idea where here is. She has no memory whatsoever.

She looked around. Where am I? Who am I? Why am I asking such cliched questions? She disregarded the last question, putting it down to unimaginative openings and tired authors. She tried to remember something, anything. She decided to start with her name. Then something popped into her head of it’s own volition. It felt right. It must be her name.
Sky Blue. Very nice.
Sky looked around, and saw a town in between a gap in the trees surrounding her. If anypony can help me, they are probably there. She decided to try her luck and set off toward the large town.

As she approached the town Sky heard somepony yell something, and next thing she knew, a grey pegasus had smacked into her, and sent her flying. She got up and saw a cross-eyed pony flying away. She had bubbles on her flank.
“Oops! Soorry! I shouldn’t have been flying so low!” She said, as she flew away. Sky shrugged and continued walking toward the town. As she walked through the gates into it, she saw a sign cheerfully showing the slogan: Welcome to Ponyville!
That must be the name of the town, She thought.

As Sky walked into Ponyville, she heard a loud WOOSH behind her, and for the second time in as many minutes, she felt herself lifted off of her hooves and face down in the dirt.
“Hehe, excuse me? Sorry about that.” Sky stood up and turned to face the speaker. In front of her stood a beautiful Pegasus pony, with a rainbow coloured mane, looking at her with interest.
“Oh... Never... Um... Never mind. I’m okay...” She shook her head to clear it and looked at the pegasus again.
“Hi! I’m Rainbow Dash, the awesomest pony in Equestria! Who’re you? It’s been a while since I met a new pegasus!”
“Um... My name is... Sky Blue. And I’m not a pegasus. I can’t fly.”
“Nice to meet you Sky Blu-- What do you mean you can’t fly? What do you call these?” She prodded Sky’s wings, and Sky noticed them for the first time.
“W-w-wings? I didn’t realise... I don’t know how to use them anyway...”
“What d’you mean? Everypony from Cloudsdale can fly!”
“What’s Cloudsdale?” Sky asked, confused.
“You don’t know what it is? Did you hit your head or something?”
“Probably... I don’t remember much. I only know my name.”
“Really? Well maybe your cutie mark can tell us more about you!”
“What is a cutie mark?” Rainbow Dash turned, giving Sky a full view of her flank. There was a cloud with a rainbow coloured lightning bolt coming out of it.
“That is a cutie mark.” Rainbow Dash said proudly. “Don’t worry if yours isn’t as awesome as mine. Mine is about twenty percent cooler than most ponies’, just like me .” Sky turned and looked at her flank. There was a book with a quill resting on it there.
“What does it mean? What is a cutie mark?” Rainbow Dash smiled.
“A cutie mark shows what your special skill, or talent, or just your personality is. Twilight would just love yours. She lives in the library. That’s the big tree, just so you know. Listen, I’ll see you later Sky Blue, we should hang out some time! Try flapping your wings and get flying!” With this, The beautiful pegasus flew off, leaving a fading rainbow in her wake.

Sky stared at the sky dreamily for a second then shook herself. Rainbow hadn’t actually told her where the library was. She decided to ask for directions. She wandered aimlessly for a while, half-heartedly asking ponies for directions, but not getting answers. Suddenly a violently pink pony, with an equally vivid curly pink mane bounced past her. She stopped mid bounce, about a foot off of the ground (although she had no wings), spun around --in mid-air, mind you-- gasped loudly, then shot off, leaving a gust of wind in her wake. That was... Different... I think. Maybe it’s common practice here? She continued on and found herself in a marketplace. She looked around, trying to find someone who could help her, and her eyes rested on a pony with a soft orange coat, a long blonde mane, a tattered brown hat on her head, and Apples on her flank. She was talking to a small yellow filly with a red mane, in a thick southern drawl.
“Now Applebloom, Ah got t’go see Twilight and get that book fer ya, so can y’all run down to the farm and get Big Macintosh to run the stand?” The filly looked at the larger pony and said:
“But if Ah run the stand, maybe Ah’ll get mah cutie mark! Maybe mah skill is lookin’ after the apple stand?”
“Now, Applebloom, I told you not t’ rush it din’t Ah? Now go get Big Macintosh.” She smiled as the filly bounced away. Sky Blue approached the stand, and smiled at the orange pony.
“Um, hello... My name is Sky Blue, um... Could yo--” She was cut off as the pony took one of Sky’s hooves in both of hers and shook it vigorously.
“Nice tah meet ya! Mah name’s Applejack. What can Ah do ya for?” She let go and Sky slowly stopped shaking.
“Um... Do you know where I can find the library?” Applejack smiled and nodded.
“Why yes, and Ah was about to go an’ see Twilight about a book fer mah sister, Applebloom. Ah’ll take you when Big Macintosh gets here.” Sky nodded and looked around the marketplace. She was still trying to remember her memories, while subsequently ignoring the irony of this thought. Then she saw the small pony, who she guessed was Applebloom, bouncing down the road, followed by a large red stallion behind her, who she guessed was Big Macintosh. Applejack smiled and waved with one of her forehooves.
“Hey Big Macintosh! Ah need t’ get that book fer Applebloom, and mah friend here wants t’ meet Twilight! Can you handle the stall for a little while?”
The stallion nodded.
“Eeyup.”
“Thanks brother!”
“Eeyup.”
“Do you want me tah take Applebloom while you work?”
“Nnope.”
“See ya later then Macintosh!”
“Eeyup.”
As Applejack wandered away, Sky smiled at him.
“Um... Hi.”
“Eeyup.”
Sky smiled nervously and ran after Applejack.

As they walked Applejack and Sky chatted aimlessly.
“Your brother doesn’t say much, does he?”
“Naw, he ain’t one fer long sentences unless it is ab-so-lute-ly necessary. So, where’re you from, Sky?” Applejack had an enquiring look on her face.
“Oh... Um... Around... You know...”
“That is a mighty am-big-u-ous answer. Why won’t you say? You running from something?”
Sky sighed.
“In all honesty, I really have absolutely no idea. I woke up in a forest outside of town. I only remember my name.”
“Well, if anypony can help you with that kind o’ stuff, it’s Twilight Sparkle. She was Princess Celestia’s protégée, don’t ya know.”
Sky was confused.
“Who is princess Celestia?” Sky immediately knew this was the wrong thing to say, as Applejack had stopped in her tracks and was looking at her like she was some foreign substance.
“You really don’t know who the princess is? You need Twilight’s help more than Ah thought.” They continued walking in an awkward silence.
“So... Do you remember how to use those wings o’ yours?” Sky had a vague recollection of her conversation with Rainbow. She hadn’t really been listening. Rainbow had been distracting her.
“Um... Rainbow said I should give them a flap some time.”
“Then why don’tcha?”
“Good idea.” Sky concentrated on her wings, and willed them to break free of her body. Come on... Come on... Rainbow had made it look so easy. With a little more effort than she could have guessed, Sky felt her wings unfold. Applejack gasped. Sky’s eyes flew open.
“What? What’s wrong with them?” She was worried, and didn’t want to look.
“Oh, sugarcube, there definitely ain’t nothin’ wrong with them.”
Sky looked and saw that the wings that were extending from her abdomen and gasped. They were ordinary from the outside, but on the inside they were as colourful as Rainbow’s mane.
“Wow. That is pretty cool.” Sky said, in a small voice.
“Well, Ah know that Rainbow’ll want t’ see those.” Applejack said, with a small smile. “Come on, we’re almost there. You can try an’ fly later.” Sky looked ahead, and saw a large tree, with, strangely enough, doors and windows. She guessed this was the library. As Applejack wandered in ahead of her, she closed her wings against her body. She would have to learn to fly now. Maybe she could talk to Rainbow about it.

As Sky walked over the threshold of the tree she saw shelves lining the walls, with books of all kinds on them. For some reason the books made her feel as comfortable as when she had met Rainbow. In amongst a storm of floating books, she saw a softly purple coloured pony reading them. She had a dark purple mane, with a lighter purple and a pink stripe through her mane and tail, and her cutie mark was a purple star with smaller white ones around it. She saw Applejack and the books floated away and went to what Sky guessed were their respective shelves.
“Hey AJ, I’ve got that book for Applebloom right here.” Twilight said, using her magic to hover a book off of her desk in the corner.
“Thanks, Twi’. It’s mighty kind o’ ya to get this book fer Applebloom. And mah friend here would like t’ speak wit’ ya, she’s in need o’ some help.” Applejack put the book under her hat, nodded goodbye to Twilight and Sky, and left the library.
“Hi. My name is Twilight Sparkle. It’s a pleasure to meet you...?” She left the sentence with a question and a questioning look.
“My name is Sky Blue. Nice to meet you Twilight.”
“And you. Now, what did you need of me?”
“Well, first of all Rainbow Dash said you would love my cutie mark.” She turned and showed it to Twilight, displaying the book and quill. “Do you have any idea what it means?”
Twilight bounced up and down with excitement.
“Yes! It must mean that your special skill is reading and writing! That’s... That’s... Awesome!” Said Twilight, taking a word from Rainbow Dash’s vocabulary.
“Um... Second, is it common for violently pink ponies to defy the laws of gravity, gasp, and speed off at speeds to match Rainbow Dash’s?”
“Oh, that’s probably just Pinkie Pie. You’re new, so she is probably planning a party. Act surprised though, because she doesn’t like people spoiling her parties, or worse, not showing up.” Twilight grimaced, and Sky decided to ask about that later.
“And lastly, is it possible for you to repair my memory?”
Twilight did a double take, and exclaimed;
“What? Why didn’t you open with that?”
“I decided to deal with things in order.” In an instant, Twilight had shot over to Sky and hugged her.
“Oh finally someone else who cares about proper organisation!” She stepped back.
“Now. Firstly, do you know how you lost your memory, and what did you remember when you woke up? Not what came back to you, but what you woke up with.”
“No I don’t remember how I lost it. And I didn’t remember anything. Even my name took some effort.” Sky was disappointed when she saw Twilight suddenly look downcast. “There’s nothing you can do... Is there?”
“I’m sorry. Give it time. It should come back to you.” Twilight smiled weakly. She walked out side, beckoning with her hoof for Sky to follow.
“Listen, I was going to go and run some errands today. I have to deliver some books. Would you like to join me? You could meet some more ponies, and maybe one of them will recognise you.” Sky nodded and they set off down the road, towards a dark forest. Sky thought they were going in, but they turned and she saw a small cottage on the riverside. Twilight kept talking.
“Then we can find you a place to stay until you can get one of your own, or afford to be someone’s housemate. You can work at the library to get some extra bits to help you out. I would invite you to stay with me, but my spare room is kind of being used as storage for now. And no offense to her, but I doubt you would want to live with Pinkie. She’s a good friend, but she can be bit full on if you have just met her. And Rarity doesn’t have a spare room. Applejack, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash all have space as far as I know. This is Fluttershy’s place here. She can be a little bit...”
“Shy?”
“Yes. But once you get her to open up... She is still really shy. I had a bit of trouble talking her the first time I met her.”
“I’ll be fine.”
As they neared the small cottage Sky saw a yellow pegasus pony, with a pink mane, and butterflies on her flank kneeling in front of a small rabbit hole.
“It’s okay little friend. I won’t hurt you. I just wanted to give you a carrot.” She pushed it with her nose towards the entrance of the den.
“See? I just wanted to give you this.” A small brown rabbit poked it’s head out the hole, grabbed the carrot, and started to eat it. When it saw that Fluttershy really wasn’t dangerous, it smiled --as much as a rabbit could-- and hopped away.
“Fluttershy! Fluttershy! I’ve got that book for you!” Sky saw Twilight holding up a book. It was titled: How To Deal With Bunny Disobedience Without Yelling: A Reference Guide. Fluttershy started to walk towards Twilight waving back shyly. But then she saw Sky, squeaked quietly and curled up into a ball, her mane covering almost her entire face. Only one eye was showing. It was squeezed shut tightly. Sky looked at Twilight.
“What did I do?”
“Don’t worry, she just isn’t used to strangers. I’ll just give her the book and we can go. She’ll get used to you... In time.”
“Wait. I have an idea. Give me the book.” Twilight looked defensive for a moment, but shrugged and gave Sky the book to hold in between her leg and body. She trotted lightly towards Fluttershy and stopped about three feet away from her. She knelt down and put the book on the ground. She practically heard Twilight wince. Sky just hoped this would work.
“Fluttershy? My name is Sky Blue. Nice to meet you.” She knew this wouldn’t work, but did it to gauge Fluttershy’s reaction. If anything she seemed to relax slightly. Sky barely missed a beat.
“I’ve got this book for you. I’m guessing you’ve got an unruly bunny somewhere around here.” Fluttershy nodded slightly. Sky remembered in time to put a relaxed smile on her face before she did what she was about to do.
“Here you go.” Sky pushed the book forward with nose, much like Fluttershy had done with the carrot. Fluttershy opened her eye and saw the book. Without meaning to, she glanced up and saw Sky. Twilight knew what was about to happen. Fluttershy would go further into her shell, and it would be harder for Sky to get to know her. But she was surprised when Fluttershy opened her eye more, nodded and said quietly;
“Thank you Sky Blue.”
“You can call me Sky. Everyone else seems to be.”
“Oh... I’m sorry.”
“Don’t worry. You didn’t know. Who is your disobedient bunny?”
“His name is Angel.” Both of them stood up, Fluttershy whispered a small goodbye and thank-you to both of them. Twilight opened her mouth to speak but Sky shook her head.
“Wait ‘till we’re on the road. Then I’ll explain.” Twilight followed her and when they got the road, she pointed Sky in the direction of town and they set off together.
“Okay, what was that? I’ve never seen anyone get her to open up like that on their first meeting!”
“Didn’t you see what she did with the rabbit? She couldn’t convince it she wouldn’t hurt it, so she gave it the carrot so it would come out and see she meant no harm. It gave me the idea to do the same thing. But I reinforced the idea by talking to her once she opened up. I didn’t just leave. Now it should be easier to befriend her.”
“Wow, you notice the small things, don’t you? Ah, next is Rarity. She can be a little full on. Just try not to let her give you a makeover. They can take a while.” Sky nodded again and they walked back into town and stopped outside a large store labeled: The Carousel Boutique. As they walked in Twilight yelled out:
“Rarity! I’ve got that book you wanted!” Sky saw Twilight grab a book out of her saddlebags labelled: Fashions of Fillydelphia. An elegant white pony with a purple mane, curly purple tail with blue diamonds on her flank walk out of the back room.
“Thank you Twili-- Oh! Who is your friend? Her coat is the perfect colour for my newest dress! Combien fabuleux! You absolutely must try it on!” Twilight shot forward and gave her the book.
“Here you go, Rarity! The book you were looking for! Okay we gotta go! Bye!” Rarity barely had any time to react as Twilight dragged Sky out of the store. She said over her shoulder:
“Sorry Rarity! I’ll try it on another time! I’m Sky Blue!” She had only just finished her sentence when the door slammed in front of her.
“Sorry, but I don’t have time for that right now, I have to deliver this book to Rainbow Dash. I never would have thought she would get into reading. Sky saw the last book I her saddlebags. It was titled: Daring Doo and The Diamond Femur.
“Oh darn. I was going to get Fluttershy to fly up and deliver it. Could you help please?”
Sky nodded slightly.
“Wait. I don’t know how to fly!”
“I’m sure you’ll get the hang of it. Come on, it’s just up ahead.”

As they approached Rainbow Dash’s house, Sky gasped. It was the most amazing thing she had ever seen. It was a huge house that seemed to be made from the clouds themselves. It probably was. Sky’s wings opened up in anticipation of seeing the interior. In the light of the dying sun, the feathers in her wings shone brightly. She heard Twilight gasp.
“You didn’t tell me about that! That’s amazing!”
“Oh... Sorry... I only just found out. I didn’t mean to show off...”
“Don’t worry. It’s not showing off. You have to use your wings to fly, don’t you? Give it a try!” Sky hesitated, but decided to just give it a go. She concentrated on flapping her wings, and after about thirty seconds she heard a faint voice yelling:
“You need the book to deliver it!” Snapping out of her concentration, Sky saw she was about a hundred feet off of the ground. She expected to feel fear, but she didn’t. She decided to have a bit of fun, and closed her wings, putting her into a nosedive. Just as she was about to hit the ground, her wings flew out, and she caught the wind rushing up to meet her, touching the soft ground lightly.
“Thanks Twilight.” She said, taking the book from the open-mouthed Twilight. She shot off into the air and arrived at Rainbow’s cloud house in seconds. She didn’t ever remember flying, but now that she was, it seemed so easy. She tentatively knocked on Rainbow’s door. She heard a few hoofsteps from inside and the door swung open.
“Heya Sky! What are you doing up here? Can you fly now?”
“I’ve got this book for you.” She gave it to Rainbow Dash, and Rainbow put it on a shelf next to the door.
“So I’m guessing you can fly?” She said.
“Umm. Yeah. I guess.”
“Wanna go out for a fly now?” Sky was slightly taken aback by this, but nodded and walked to the edge of the cloud. “Hey Twilight! I’ll see you later! Me and Rainbow are going for a fly, alright?” She saw Twilight nod, and head off in the direction of the marketplace she had seen earlier.
“So, wanna head out?” Rainbow was right next to her. “It’s your second time, as far as I know, So I’ll go easy on ya, alright?” Sky smirked and nodded.
“You go ahead, I’ll catch up.” Rainbow smirked and leaped of the cloud. She flew up past Sky and hovered in the air.
“You coming?” Rainbow looked pretty sure of herself, but when Sky unfolded her wings, Rainbow dropped a few feet.
“Woah! Those are awesome! But beauty doesn’t mean speed! Haha!” Sky shivered at the thought of Rainbow thinking she was beautiful.
“You cold? Or are you just scared?”
Sky realised she had been a bit obvious.
“No, I’m just excited to beat you in a race to the marketplace!”
Rainbow frowned.
“A bit inexact. How ‘bout we race to Sugarcube Corner?” Sky blinked.
“Where is that?”
“The big store that looks like a cupcake, silly.” Sky saw it in the distance.
“Okay then. Let’s go--now!” She shot past Rainbow with speed that made Rainbow Dash impressed.
“Oh, It is on!” She sped after Sky, quickly closing the distance between the two.
“I’m not even trying!” She said, with a smirk.
“I’m just warming up!” Sky said, as she put on a burst of speed and flew past Rainbow Dash. She was surprised for a second, but quickly caught up with Sky. They were neck and neck the rest of the way, until Rainbow just inched past her, winning the race.
“Wow. That was actually pretty taxing. I haven’t had a race that fun in a while.”
As Rainbow Dash said this, Sky noticed that she hadn’t even broken a sweat, while She was drenched. She had put so much effort into that. It didn’t matter though. She just enjoyed spending time with Rainbow. This was odd, seeing as she had just met this mare.
“Want to get a drink? Sugarcube Corner makes the best milkshakes.”
Sky was unsure.
“Are you sure? All the lights are off. I don’t think anyone is in there.”
Rainbow smiled mischievously. Sky suppressed a shudder at seeing such a beautiful smile.
“Let’s see.” She walked past Sky to the door, and thought she heard Rainbow doing a complicated series of taps. The door opened, and Rainbow beckoned her inside. Sky walked in and almost yelled when the lights turned on and she saw the violently pink pony from before in front of her.
“SURPIIISE! Were you surprised? Huh? Were ya? Were ya? Did I surprise you?”
Sky stepped back as she saw the place filled with ponies she had seen around town.
“I just saw you before, and I had never seen you before. And I know everypony and I mean everypony in Ponyville, and if you were new it meant you had no friends, and if you had no friends you must be lonely, so I threw you this welcome party so you could meet people! Yay! Now you have lots of friends!” Sky was practically pushed back by the force and speed of the Pony’s speech pattern. She racked her brains trying to remember her name.
“Hi... Um... Pinkie Pie... Nice to meet you. Thank you for the party, it looks really nice.” She smiled and Pinkie bounced away happily. Rainbow came and stood next to her.
“Well, are you going to mingle? Or are you just going to stand there gawping at everyone?”
Sky shook herself.
“Um... Good point.”
Over the next few hours, Sky met what felt like hundreds of ponies. This left her thoroughly drained. As people left, only Sky and the first six ponies she had met were left. They were sitting at a table in the corner chatting. Applejack saw Sky standing uncomfortably on the other side of the room.
“Come over here and sit down sugarcube! We won’t bite!” Sky trotted over and sat next to Rainbow Dash. Twilight was the first to speak.
“We were just talking about where you’re going to live. Rainbow and Applejack both have room, but Fluttershy’s spare room is taken by sick animals. Where would you like to live?”
Sky pretended to think for a few minutes, even though she already knew who she was going to choose.
“No offense, Rainbow, but I think I might like to stay with Applejack for a while.”
She had only chosen AJ because she knew she had a crush on Rainbow, and she didn’t want to encourage it. She didn’t know much about the customs of Ponyville, but she knew that they probably frowned on... What was the word she had heard during the party... Fillyfoolers? She didn’t think they would like a mare having a crush on another mare.
And Applejack seemed nice enough. Rainbow didn’t seem to care.
“Only fer a little while, though. The family just had to go away fer a few weeks. Only temp’ry you know.” Applejack looked happy anyway.
“Don’t worry, I should have enough money to move in to my own place, or with someone else eventually. I just wish I could pay rent now.”
“Ah don’ need it. Don’ you worry about any payment. You can jus’ help me wit’ mah farm.”
Applejack looked excited. Sky guessed that she was lonely. As they finally dispersed Sky followed Applejack out of town, to a huge Apple farm, With a sign out the front proclaiming: Sweet Apple Acres. They approached an old red farmhouse.
“Yah know, Ah think Ah know someone who could help you out. Her name is Zecora. She lives in Everfree forest. That is, she lives in th’ forest behind Fluttershy’s place.” Applejack remembered that Sky didn’t know anything about Ponyville, and probably not much about Equestria.
“Uhh, thanks. I’ll go in the morning. Um. Goodnight.” Sky followed Applejack’s hoof, as they had arrived at the farmhouse. She went upstairs.
“AJ, where should I sleep?”
“Jus’ go an’ sleep in mah room. Ah have a spare bed set up, in case o’ somethin’ like this. Big Macintosh, Applebloom, and Granny Smith don’ like strangers touchin’ their things.”
“Okay.” Sky went in to Applejack’s room and fell on to the cot in the corner. She was asleep in a few minutes.