• ...
2
 133
 1,615

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #23: What's In A Name?

Prompt: Two pony parents discuss what to name their foal.

Rarity smiled to herself as she flipped through the pages of the book she'd chosen to read today. She figured that with the foal due in the next month or so, it was about time to pick out a name. She'd already put a little bit of consideration towards it a while back, but that was before they'd received confirmation on the foal's gender. Now that they knew their foal would be a filly, that made things slightly easier. She'd had so much difficulty deciding on a name back then...there were so many good ones. Now that she was able to cut the possibilities in half, she'd decided to resume the thought process.

Rarity looked up and smiled as Applejack walked into the room. Applejack's walk had, understandably, become more awkward and lethargic as she progressed through the pregnancy. Rarity covered her mouth with a hoof; she felt awful poking fun at Applejack's walk. The farmer had made a great sacrifice for the both of them in deciding to be the one who carried the foal. Taking her away from her work could have been very bad for Sweet Apple Acres' business. Thankfully, Big Macintosh more than covered his share, and Applejack's cousin Braeburn had agreed to come on down to Ponyville and cover her workload. Rarity would have put up more of a fight about the topic, but Applejack was insistent on being the one to carry the foal. Applejack knew her lovely jewel well; she would not take well to the weight she gained from the pregnancy. She'd told Rarity this, and the unicorn knew she was right. Still, at times, she felt little twinges of jealousy.

"Whatcha readin', jewel?" Applejack asked, carefully lowering herself onto the couch next to Rarity.

"Oh, just a book of foal names," Rarity responded. "I figured now would be a good time to begin research on the topic." Applejack smiled and nodded.

"Ya got that right," AJ answered, pulling out a book of her own. AJ opened the recipe book and began reading.

"Oh, are you looking up a recipe for tonight's dinner?" Rarity asked. "I told you I would cook, there's no need for that."

"Nope!" AJ answered. "Ah' lookin' up foal names too!" Rarity stared blankly at Applejack. She looked back at the book's cover, to make sure she wasn't reading it incorrectly. No...no, that was undoubtedly a recipe book.

"A-ha-haapplejack..." Rarity said, a bemused grin crossing her face. "Why are you looking in a RECIPE BOOK for a foal name?" AJ looked up and grinned.

"Well, s'a family tradition ta give our foals an apple-related name!" Applejack answered matter-of-factly. "How's Apple Tart sound?" Rarity stared for a few moments, trying to figure out if Applejack was pulling her leg. Once she'd discerned that her sweet Apple was serious, she facehooved.

"Applejack, darling," Rarity said, with as much tact as she could muster. "I will not have my foal named after a delicacy." AJ tilted her head, beginning to frown a bit.

"Yer foal?" AJ asked. "She's gunna be OUR foal, Rarity. An' Ah'm the one carryin' her, so Ah reckon Ah got a majority vote on this matter."

"You most certainly do not!" Rarity snapped back. "She is both of ours, we will agree on a name, and I refuse to put myself in a situation where I can purchase my child's namesake for an afternoon treat!" AJ started to try and get up onto her hooves, as she often would do when hers and Rarity's arguments began to get heated. In her special physical situation, though, such an act proved difficult, and she chose to attempt to look intimidating from her current reclined position.

"An' jus' what do YOU suggest we name her?" Applejack snarled, deeply insulted by her wife's unkind comments towards her choice of names. Rarity placed her hoof down on her book, pointing to a name that had caught her fancy.

"I believe 'Diamond Lace' is a lovely-sounding name," Rarity answered with a proud smile. The farmer scoffed.

"Yer kiddin', right?" AJ said incredulously. "Ah ain't gunna have mah daughter trot 'round with a frou-frou name like that!"

"Oh, so she is no longer OUR daughter?" Rarity snarked. "How quickly you change your mind, Applejack."

"She IS ours!" AJ answered. "An' OUR daughter's name is gunna carry on the family tradition!"

"OUR daughter's name is not going to be one we can find on Sugarcube Corner's menu!" Rarity said sternly.

The argument went on for a good while, neither of them willing to relent. It took a yelling-at from Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, who had been studying upstairs, to finally calm the feuding soon-to-be-parents down. After that, the two sat in silence for what seemed like ages. It was Rarity that finally broke the silence.

"...Sonya." Rarity spoke. Applejack looked up.

"Pardon?" AJ asked.

"Sonya." Rarity responded. "It is the name of a variety of apple, yet discreet enough to not be entirely obvious." AJ stared at Rarity, long enough for Rarity to begin thinking that she disapproved.

"...Ah love it," Applejack finally said, a wide smile on her face. "Sonya. Yeh, that's fantastic." Rarity breathed a sigh of relief and smiled to match her partner's. The two shared a nuzzle, their previous argument nearly forgotten.

"Sonya," Rarity repeated, placing a hoof on Applejack's belly and rubbing it tenderly. "Our filly's name shall be Sonya." Applejack just smiled and nodded, closing her eyes.

PreviousChapters Next