• Published 25th Feb 2017
  • 3,481 Views, 191 Comments

Not The First - Flash Notion

Comments ( 33 )

Eyy, featured!

Edit: Well, it lasted a good minute :rainbowlaugh:

8147763 wait, WHAT? :derpyderp2:

when the hell did that happen?

8147797 exactly 14 minutes ago

It didn't last long, but it was there :raritywink:

8147801 huh. well. the day wasn't completely wasted then :twilightblush:

thanks for letting me know :derpytongue2:

though come to think of it, that's really the sort of thing the site should send an automated pm or an email about.

8147818

automated pm

I fucking wish, dude. So many people may have been featured without ever knowing it

Oh. Fuck. I didn't expect another chapter, but this sure was a treat! Poor Twilight -- not even her most recent clone can catch a break.

8148057 ahem.

1) your profile pic is hilarious

2) I actually didn't expect to write another chapter either. but when I got this idea at work- what if, when the twilight in the sub-dimension died, the twilight in the "real" world dreamed it?- I had to write it. it was too interesting to not. after all, it makes sense that all the twilights would have some form of psychic connection. also, the way I wrote it here kind of implies that if she ever gets suspicious of the nightmares, she'll teleport again and the new version will forget the worries in the post-teleportation confusion. :applejackconfused:

Hey, that was a treat!

It's a great detail that when Sparkle died, "What came next... It was beautiful," but when Twilight died, it was "Nothing. Forever."

8174596 :rainbowderp: and i would love to say that was intentional

8174992
It couldn't not have been. You just didn't realize it.

Well that certainly put a twist on the classic "it was all a dream' cop-out.Which I like, because it's sort of like the reverse, 'it was all real' but, you know, in the tropey sense.

Anyway, loved the Prequel, and also just in general this series. I read this last, ironically, and I think it's better that way. But seeing as it's not 9 in the morning and I started at about 4 in the morning. I'm going to bed. Being hungry, dehydrated, and sleep-deprived while listening to that Jupiter Sounds video on repeat sure fucking set the mood though XD.

8312788
For tropes, I think the term here wound be "subverted". Or maybe zig-zagged. Eh, doesn't matter.
Thanks for reading and going the extra mile for the atmosphere. Hopefully some other author will come along and continue the series :pinkiesmile:

8313449

I'm debating throwing my hat in, since if you check out my short 'A week with Pinkie' you'll find that I like the bizarre. but I'd never be able to add anything unique to the already existing Blinkverse. Plus I was never really good at hitting emotions with much in the way of power, so I'd either do a side-story or an introspective sequel to Eyes Open following the Twilight that was saved.

I dunno, I'll keep you posted if I decide anything.

So as I think about it more, the one thing that I really didn't think worked was the cameo by Pinkamena. No matter how gory and horrible the rest of it became, it all seemed to fit. All but her. Maybe it's because bringing her in makes things suddenly very meta at a moment when (IMO) the story is asking us to follow Twilight down the darkest portion yet of her journey. It jars me out of the moment and seems to beg the reader to compare this story to Cupcakes, which I feel doesn't benefit either story. Pinkie doesn't add much here beyond serving as visual shorthand for how far gone Twilight is, which... like, the rest of the story makes that abundantly clear. The Spike portion alone does that in a way that is absolutely gut-wrenching and saddening in the extreme, and if anything, the cameo detracts a bit from the unique weight of that moment.

Nevertheless, this story is powerful in its darkness and horror and tragedy. It's a perfect companion to Blink as well, showing us the full horror that the original only barely touched on. It's a testament to the strength of your story that I can find just one thing to focus suggestions on.

Bravo. :twilightsmile:

8389444
I'm honestly not sure what my thought process was with the pinkie part. One thing I do remember is that I wanted it ambiguous as to whether or not pinkie was there, or if twilight was simply hallucinating her. I think I failed there. If I were to rewrite it, I'd definitely change that section. I don't think I'd remove it, but definitely change it.

8389592
No, I think it's ambiguous while still being pretty clear that Twilight is just imagining it. If anything, it's just a bit random--but the randomness comes mostly from it being Pinkamena, which references a story that Twilight would have no way to know about. Maybe it might integrate better with the rest of the story if it was a sudden appearance of happy Pinkie instead, as that could be interpreted more directly as a figment of Twilight's subconscious trying to cheer herself up right before the final descent into madness? That might have an effect similar to the gravedigger guys in Hamlet, who give the audience a tiny bit of comic relief just prior to the ending, where everybody dies...

8390563
Okay, scary, because that's how I thought about changing it in a rewrite. Have her trying to talk twilight down from the ledge, and fail. I actually never meant for it to be cupcakes pinkie..

8520619
Self-cest is best cest man!

Why did she become so bloated though? Was it puss or a reaction to her diet?

8705955
Diet. It actually is a starvation symptom, which is why you see pot-bellied kids in Africa with tiny stick limbs.

8944309
:facehoof: I guess that I assumed from TS's complete non-reaction in the EqG universe that the humans magically had the same diet as the ponies.
8944317
Even so, unless you call giving birth murder, when Twilight Sparkle teleports herself, she is committing suicide by time-in-an-inescapable-sphere. The spell creates a clone, but the pony that it kills is the one who was removed from Equestria, not the one who reappears at the destination. Claiming that casting the teleport spell (on just yourself) is murder is like claiming that dying in childbirth is murder. Although someone dies in the end, it's no more reasonable to call the clone a murderer than it is to call a newborn whose mother died in childbirth a murderer.

8944806
...
that does not make sense. Like, I think I get it, but your wording is confusing and also wrong. Each version of Twilight is a separate individual. That's why I tried to give each a separate name/title in the narrative (Twilight, Sparkle, Princess, Six). The version that the story follows uses weapons to purposefully kill these other individuals. That is murder.

Although I just had the thought that you may be referring to how Twilight calls Princess a murderer. :facehoof: In that case, it was meant to be a symptom of her psychosis. She's crazy.

I need go to sleep, dhshgd, good story.

Hey, I just wanted to say thanks for writing this great story! As far as I'm concerned, this is the best entry in the Blinkverse to date, and I've read all of them. Going back and rereading parts of it has even helped me get the inspiration needed to write my own Blink story. Of course, I'd been wishing the others were longer and absolutely love it when things get dark as hell, so this was kind of perfect for me. 10/10

10367382
Thanks! It's been a while since I got any feedback, I'm glad people are still enjoying this story.

Jesus titty‐fucking Christ.

This was absolutely, positively not the best choice of story on my part to read right before bed.

10676799
yeah, probably not a good idea. but "jesus titty-fucking christ" is a hell of an endorsement, so thanks!

Heh... should not be reading this at 21:47 in central Europe, might give me nightmares.

What in the cinnamon toast fuck was that

I want one more time!

A fate worst than death, all I can pretty much say to describe this story, if I had to choose wether to die in the real world or go to a pocket dimension to live for the rest of my life while another me takes my place, I'd choose dying in the real world, there would be a funeral, there would be loved ones surrounding, but the second option? Nobody would know that I died, nobody would know that someone took my place, not even the person who took my place would know they took my place, you would just die alone in a black void without anyone knowing you died except yourself as another version of you takes your place.

Ya this story is dark, just a repeat pretty much, teleport to a location, live life, teleport, another you takes your place, they teleport to a location, just an endless cycle.

Login or register to comment