• Published 2nd Jan 2017
  • 2,304 Views, 71 Comments

Finding Sunburst - Foal Star



Sunburst is Flurry's foal sitter while Cadence and Shining go out on vacation. While as a foal he and Flurry Heart become seperated and the two go on journey to be reunited.

  • ...
8
 71
 2,304

Prolouge: A Long needed vacation

Cadence was packing her clothes into her suitcase on her large bed alongside her husband, Shining Armor (who was organizing his stuff in his suitcase). Cadence was sighing as she finished clasping her final suitcase and asked, “So have you ever been on a cruise before?”

“No this is my first time.” Shining grumbled as he finished organizing their suitcases near the door.

Cadence plopped on the bed and gave a exasperated sigh, “I hope that Flurry Heart will be alright.”

Shining rolled his eyes and replied, “She’ll be fine. We’ve got my little sister Twilight, and Sunburst taking care of things. The two of them should be more than capable of keeping Flurry under control” He placed his suitcase near the door as he said this.

Cadence looked up with worry in her eyes, “Still, we’ve never left Flurry behind before. You think that Twilight and Sunburst can run the kingdom, and keep Flurry safe at the same time?”

“Of course, you're talking about the two who saved Flurry Heart and the Crystal empire.” Shining grunted as he dragged another suitcase near the front door with his telekinesis.

Cadence got up from the bed and began to pace as she mumbled, “maybe we shouldn’t go.”

Shining dropped his wife’s suitcases near the door and with a worried look told her, “But we’ve been planning this cruise for months. Are you sure you want to cancel all our plans?”

Cadence looked up with a nervous look, “What if Flurry is too much for them by themselves. I mean she’ll miss us and she could be more of a hoofful than usual.”

Shining lead his wife back to the bed and as they sat together he started to talk in a soft tone, “Look I don’t like the idea of leaving Flurry by herself either. But you need to relax and think about yourself for a few days. Besides, we’re leaving her in capable hooves. Even the best of parents don’t have to watch their children 24/7.”

But Cadence became worried again and mumbled, “I don’t know if I can relax when I’m worrying about Flurry Heart.”

Shining kissed his wife on the cheek and rubbed her shoulders, making her moan a bit as he whispered in her ear, “Did I hit something tender?”

“Shining it won’t…” Cadence protested, only to moan again as her husband’s hooves lowered and were rubbing near her tail bone as he continued with a smug grin, “Now, you’re going to come with me on the cruise tomorrow and we’re going to worry only about us. Besides when you return you’ll be recharged and ready to care for Flurry. Getting a diaper stuck on your horn while you were changing her is a clear sign you need to take a break.”

Cadence giggled and blushed, all her years of foalsitting and she still made such an ameatur mistake due to exhaustion. “I didn’t imagine our first foal would have so much energy.”

Shining laughed and replied, “She gets that from you.”

Cadence looked back at him with a smirk, “Oh really? And you don’t think she gets it from you?”

Shining wrapped his hooves around Cadence and whispered lovingly, “She got it from the both of us.”

Cadence kissed her husband on the lips and they held the embrace for a while, then Cadence trembled a bit as she gave her husband a serious look and asked, “Be honest, you think Sunburst and Twilight are up to the challenge?”

Shining nuzzled his wife tenderly and replied, “I have complete faith in them.” They then laid together on the bed and fell into each others’ passionate embrace.


Sunburst was in Flurry’s room with her sleeping in her crib, as he was going over the list of instructions about her. Twilight then opened the door with her wings spread wide and a bag full of foal supplies in her telekinesis. She placed them to the side of the room and upon seeing Sunburst she whispered, “I’m here, Sunburst.”

Sunburst nearly jumped into the air, as he looked over to see Twilight and gave a sigh of relief, “Oh, Princess Twilight. It’s good to see you.” He then bowed to her.

Twilight rolled her eyes and replied, “We’re friends, Sunburst, there’s no need for that. Any friend of Starlight’s is a friend of mine.”

“Sorry, you know me...I’m not really good with surprises.” Sunburst stuttered in nervousness.

Twilight said nothing, she just turned towards the crib with a maternal smile and came up to the sleeping Flurry Heart, wrapped in a foal blanket, and sucking a pacifier in her mouth. Twilight then whispered tenderly to Sunburst, “So how is the little angel doing?”

Sunburst was now gently going through the bag of foal supplies as he whispered, “She’s perfectly fine Twilight, and you’ve got everything we need. But thank you for asking about her.”

Twilight went back to Sunburst as he was storing away all the foal supplies beneath Flurry’s changing table and asked, “so I guess you wouldn’t mind taking care of Flurry Heart while I focus on administering the rest of the kingdom?”

Sunburst locked the cabinet and gulped as he replied, “Of course, as long as you don’t mind that is, your, um, highness?”’

“Sure, but I get to tuck her in and read to her tonight.” Twilight declared with a hint of authority in her tone.

Sunburst reflexively bowed his head in nervous submission and whimpered, “Of course, your highness.”

Twilight sighed, “I was just messing with you, Sunburst,” Then she smirked as she added, “You don’t have to be so nervous around me, you know that, don’t you?”

“I know, it’s just nerve racking at the moment, With Shining and Cadence leaving the both of us in charge, I can’t help it,” Sunburst apologized. “I know they’ve put a lot of faith in me but…”

Twilight led Sunburst out of the room and gave him a reassuring smile, “Sunburst you need to have more faith in yourself; you know that we can count on you to take care of Flurry Heart. At least for now.”

Sunburst looked around and asked, “Where's your little purple dragon assistant? Didn’t Spike come with you?”

“Yes he did, but he’s still dozing from the train trip coming here. But, I’m sure he’ll be up soon, knowing him he won’t stay asleep for long in the Crystal Empire.” Twilight yawned while rubbing her eyes.

Sunburst with a worried expression replied, “Do you need some sleep too?”

Twilight shook her head and with a hint of annoyance muttered, “No, I’m fine, I was just a little tired from the train ride, and I was also this busy morning, with some royal issues..”

Just then, Shining and Cadence passed by, their enumerable suitcases held in their telekinesis, as they headed to the front doors. Upon seeing her brother, Twilight’s fatigue left her mind, and she shouted, “Hey, Shining!”

Upon hearing his name. Shining turned to Twilight and with a big smile he shouted, “Twily!” The two ran into an embrace and held it for a bit. Then Shining sighed and apologized, “I’m sorry, Twilight, I just wish we could spend some time together before I leave.”

Twilight pushed her big brother and replied, “Hey, you and Cadence deserve a break. But when you get back, you owe me big for this!”

Shining laughed out loud at his sister’s bold statement and replied with leverty, “I’ll keep that in mind.”

Cadence came up to Twilight, and gave her a big hug as she whispered, “Thank you so much for coming to help us out.”

Twilight blushed and smiled, despite the embarrassment. ”I wouldn't miss a chance to have some alone time with my niece.” She replied.

Cadence perked up and asked,”Did Sunburst give you the list of things Flurry needs?”

Twilight turned towards Sunburst, “Yep, and I got everything this morning. Besides it seems you’ve overstocked on foal stuff.”

”Please, there’s no such thing as enough foal supplies,” Cadence groaned. “I speak from experience.

Shining sighed in weariness and shuddered as he mumbled, “Tell me about it. Who knew Flurry Heart would go through so many diapers in one week?”

Everypony present laughed together (though Sunburst, on his part, only gave a nervous chuckle).

Cadence then turned towards Sunburst and asked, “Sunburst, is Flurry doing okay? I would go see her, but I know she’s asleep.”

“She’s fine, but I'm sure she’ll be up soon.” Sunburst hurriedly replied.

Cadence sighed in resignation, but she then shook her head, “No, I should say bye to her before I go. It’s the least I can do, right Shining?”

Shining nodded, “Sure let’s go say bye to her,” Then he turned to Twilight and whispered, “Thanks again for everything, and if there’s any trouble with Flurry, please let us know.”

Twilight whispered back with her tone of mocked authority, “Of course, you and Cadence go on your cruise. Sunburst and I can take care of things for you while you’re both away.”

Shining ruffled his sister’s mane, as she groaned while he winked at her,”Alright, and Twilight, thank you.”

Twilight smiled in kind and replied, “It’s my pleasure.”

Shining then followed his wife down the hall, while Sunburst followed quickly behind.


Cadence was now in Flurry's room hovering over her crib making faces and babbling, “Oh, who’s Mama’s adorable little pumpkin?”

Flurry was now wide awake and flailing her hooves, giggling and gurgling at her mother.

Shining stood by his wife looking down at their foal with content. He then said to his daughter, “Now you be a good little filly for Auntie Twilight and Mr. Sunburst, you hear?”

Flurry shrieked, placed her hooves in her mouth and began to suckle on them. Cadence dawwed and whispered, “Oh, I think she’s hungry.”

Sunburst picked Flurry up with his telekinesis, “I’ll get her fed now.”

Cadence smiled at the two and ruffled her daughter’s mane, “You be good now, Flurry, don’t get into trouble while I’m gone.”

Flurry seemed to recognize that her mom was going away and began to whimper, tears starting to wail up. Shining recognizing the signs of an impending crises shouted, Oh no, here it comes!”

Flurry then began to wail in her full foal might of deceptively powerful little lungs with her cries reverberating through the chamber! All the ponies had to cover their ears to protect them from the piercing shrieks.

Sunburst quickly placed a bottle of milk in the squirming foal’s mouth and hushed her by patting her on his back. Cadence giving Flurry Heart a worried look as Shining whispered, “Honey, Flurry is going to be fine.”

Cadence sighed, “Yeah, you’re right, we’d better get going.”

“Don’t worry she’s going to be just fine.” Twilight explained as she hugged Cadence.

Shining looked outside and shouted, “Honey, we need to go before we miss the train!”

Cadence nodded, “Right,” She turned to Flurry one last time before Shining gave her a irritated look and she sighed, “Alright let’s go.”

Soon the crystal couple was rushing down the hall, as Twilight wiped the sweat from her brow. She turned to Sunburst ,who was cuddling Flurry in his hooves. Twilight gave them a happy smile “Well, I’ll leave things to you then.”

Sunburst just gave Twilight a nod, as she slowly left the nursery and shut the door behind her, leaving Sunburst with his young charge.