• Published 8th Dec 2016
  • 761 Views, 12 Comments

The Lost Legends of Equestria: Star Swirl the Bearded - Silver Inkwell



Follow the tale and story about the real truth behind the great and powerful yet still mysterious Star Swirl as told by (the) Princess Celestia to her student Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
4
 12
 761

Chapters Next
Searching for Answers

Twilight Sparkle was looking through the Royal Canterlot (Public) Library as it was officially (and still technically is) called. She was looking through the Star Swirl the bearded section, but she could not find exactly what she was looking for, which was even more information about the famous wizard who lived.

But oddly enough, his personal life seemed to be oddly empty and when she first saw it she ignored it, but then questions slowly entered her mind and she became curious and only now did she think that it was unusual and odd and strange, but then again, so many great things of the past had been glanced over, probably because it was a different time then and few if any ponies would care about history, they would only care about survival. The books contained almost no information on his personal life of how he lived except for where he lived and what he did, and he lived in Canterlot and Twilight already knew everything that he did, he created over 200 spells and banished the sirens.

But other than that little information which she did find, there was nothing there, unless you count continual failure as something, but I don’t think we do.

Twilight sighed as she put away the last book, she was disappointed that she didn’t find anything, she wanted to learn and know more about the great master of magic who had set so many records and achievements that she could never hope to measure or stand up against, she was good and great and excellent, but he was better at everything, except perhaps for friendship.

But perhaps there is another pony or source that I could use, Twilight thought, the only reason that the books lacked in detail was because ponies didn’t care enough to write their own history or details, and because no pony could ever hope to remember back to that time because no pony was alive at that time.

Well every pony that is, except for Princess Celestia, perhaps she knows more about this subject matter and could help me out with this problem I have.

And with that thought in her mind she raced to the castle and found the princess there all alone doing her royal duties and tasks as she needed to.

“Celestia, I need to speak to you, alone, in private,” Twilight said.

“Well of course,” Celestia said putting her papers down and then walking into another room to talk with her, “What is it that you want to say to me exactly?”

“I need to talk to you about Star Swirl the bearded,” Twilight said.

“What exactly do you want to know about him?” Celestia asked.

“Well everything, but to be specific I was wondering about his personal life.”

“Twilight, you know there is a good reason it is called ‘personal’ right?”

“Yes, I know that, but I just feel like the greatest wizard ever known really isn’t that well known in his other aspects then what he did or accomplished in life.

But I want to know more, he is after all my greatest source of inspiration that I have, well other than you of course, I didn’t mean to offend or forget you.”

“I take no offense, but what do you wish to know about Star Swirl’s life?”

“I already told you, I want to know everything that you could tell me.”

“That is not what I meant by my question, what I mean was this, where would you like to begin in his life? The start, the middle, or perhaps the end instead?”

“Well that’s a very odd question to ask, but I suppose that I would like to start at the very beginning if you could very well do that for me please,” she said.

“Very well then, I shall, most ponies think that Star Swirl was born rich or famous, but neither is true, to quote from William Hoofsphere ‘Some are born great, some are made great and some have greatness thrust upon them’, and such was the case with Star Swirl, he made himself great, but only because the opportunity and chance to do so was thrust upon him, he did now willingly choose to become famous, that is just a result of other ponies. But he did accept the praise and compliments and awards and prizes better than most who come to fame or power or riches, he accepted it graciously and with both humbleness and pride for his work, he knew what to boast was wrong, but to simply state it as a fact would be enough and true. But despite all that he did and all the praise and compliments and awards and prizes, he was still just a regular young stallion underneath it all, simple, humble, yet strong and proud, ready to act with words and power should the need or situation ever arise, he was one that knew which fights to win, and which ones which to humbly accept defeat and lose. He was a stallion of both peace and war, of both light and darkness, he knew everything there was to know about magic, except for the power and truth of friendship. Yet for all that he did, he still had regrets, choices that were wrong, even if he really believed that it was right at the time, even if they were right, and he always still felt like he was missing something very important in his life, but he never did find it, but you did.”

“Wait, Star Swirl came from a simple and humble home? And he was normal deep down inside? Are you sure that you’re thinking of the right pony?”

“Yes, Twilight Sparkle, the answer is yes to all of your questions, and if you don’t interrupt me anymore I can continue on with my story as I was before.”

“Sorry Princess Celestia, I’ll try not to interrupt you again.”

“Good, for if you have any questions then I will answer them at the very end. Now then, the reason why I say all of this about Star Swirl is for one very simple fact, I knew Star Swirl for a brief time, and he told me his life story.”

“Wait, you once met and knew the great Star Swirl?” Twilight asked in disbelief.

“Yes, yes I did, and while most would try to paint themselves as grand and great and powerful and strong and wise, Star Swirl did not, he was honest.

And so this tale that I am saying now is the complete truth, for he does not boast and he does not lie, wizards after all, have great honor, names, and a reputation and integrity to hold up on. Of course though I do wish I had kept track of him so I could know where he is, but he wishes me not to, and so I respect his wishes, besides, a wizard can’t be found unless he wants to.
Anyhow I was planning to tell you this sooner or later, but since you asked I guess it will be sooner. Anyhow his life is a fascinating and interesting one to say the very least. He was raised in a simple and humble home, and with simple ponies all around him, but he was not a simple pony, he had a mind of brilliant creative chaotic genius ready to be used and explored, there was only one small light problem however, he was a failure at every subject in life.”

“He was a failure?” Twilight asked with even more disbelief.

“Yes, yes, he was, but then again, all great people, I mean ponies, they were all simple and humble and proud at one point in their small tiny lives that they have, and I believe that the same could be said about you when you came to my school, you were mall, young, and not rich or noble, but you were still great and excellent at the things you did. But you still never boasted about what you could do, you were humble, yet still proud of what you did, just like Star Swirl.

But anyhow I guess that this story is not about how you’re supposed to act, though you could do or be wise and learn both a lesson and a moral from it.

Anyhow I guess Star Swirl’s first act of magic would later become irony, and that his real story starts before the age of Equestria, before me and my sister came to restore the balance and peace of this land by stopping Discord…”

Author's Note:

Next Chapter: Another Regular Ordinary Day

For Star Swirl at least.

Stay tuned for more.

Chapters Next