• Published 5th Dec 2016
  • 2,374 Views, 99 Comments

My Little Mages: The Grand Gala - Foxhelm



A moment of calm has come for Twilight et al, and how best to celebrate, then the long awaited Grand Gala. No matter what happens, it will be a night to remember. A 'My Little Mages' retelling of 'The Best Night Ever'.

  • ...
4
 99
 2,374

The Siblings’ Night

Now for a change in venue:

Big Mac and Marble

After the two departed from their sisters, Big Mac and Marble walk to the other end of the hall. They spoke not a word but had no need. Big Mac rarely used words he has always used his actions to convey his thoughts. Granted he was frequently not in thought but was frequently trapped in memory. Often seeing his past happening alongside the present. But now he had no memories to watch, a relief. However, he had nothing to fall back on to start talking with Marble.

Seeing Big Mac struggling to come up with something to say, Marble found a quiet place for the two to sit apart from most of the gala. She guided him out a set of doors and opened them. This took Big Mac by surprise, but he didn’t question it. There the two saw a wide set of stairs that lead into one of the many gardens on the castle ground. Marble then sat down on the top step and patted the spot to her right. Big Mac accepted the hint and joined her. Looking to the stars he finally found something to say, “Ah ain't nev’r seen so many jealous gals,” Marble was taken aback, at what Big Mac just said. Before she could ask, “Ah mean tha stars.” The geomancer looked up to the sky and blushed, she never felt so … she didn’t know how she felt, but she was being told by a man not related to her that she was prettier than stars.

Marble didn’t know what to say or do, she had never spent so much time with a man not related to her. She started to hum out of nervousness. Her humming was, “hum, hum, hum-hu-hu, hu-hu,” and it continued like that for a few seconds.

Big Mac knew that tune, he sang the song it was written for. In fact, he wrote the song, ‘The Music In You’, which he wrote for his acapella group, which included Rarity. Pinkie must have sung it when she visited her family over the time around Hearth’s Warming. He decided to actually sing, “Bum, bum, bum-ba-da, ba-da
Bum, bum, bum-ba-da ah,” he started the song proper, as he sang Marble stopped humming and looked at Big Mac both startled and in awe.

Big Mac stopped and looked at Marble and gave her a welcoming smile, “Bum, bum, bum-ba-da, ba-da
Bum, bum, bum-ba-da ah,” he repeated and gave Marble a nudge of encouragement as gently as he possibly could, even with that degree of gentleness, normally he would have knocked the person over, but Marble was solid, solid like a rock. Marble was a little confused, but it dawned on her that Big Mac was trying to get her join him in the song and she could not help but join in.

“Bum, bum, bum-ba-da, ba-da
Bum, bum, bum-ba-da ah,” Big Mac continued to sing with Marble joining in as the two seemed to rock back and forth with the internal beat of the song.

“Oh, ah-ah-ah-ah
Oh, ah-ah-ah-ah,” Marble sang joining in with Big Mac. She could not help but be happy and feel… well, she never felt this way before.

“Everybody's sayin' you should learn to express your voice
But if talking doesn't seem like it's the answer,” Big Mac sang looking to the starry sky.

Joining him, Marble’s voice started out small but started to grow, encouraged by Big Mac.“Luckily you have a choice
When you find you've got the music
Got the music in you
Find you've got the music
Got the music in you,” Big Mac stopped at the first ‘Got the music’ and Marble continued to sing without the cleric’s accompanying base, which originally drowned out her smaller voice but it was not until the end that she realized she was alone in the song. She stopped and tried to hide her face behind her bang. But soon she felt her hands and hair being moved. She opened her eyes to see Big Mac just looking into her eyes as if they were the only thing Big Mac cared about, or rather she was the only person the cleric cared about. Part of her wanted to look away, but another part wanted more than just his eyes peering into her eyes.

Big Mac had never felt so drawn to any person, yes Twilight was a crush, but so was Cheerilee, and to be honest at one time or another each of Applejack’s friends had caught his eye for different reasons, Rainbow was no-nonsense and was… well, low maintenance, Fluttershy was non-judgemental and let him express himself as himself, Rarity was gorgeous and did not challenge the traditional roles in courtship and Pinkie was… Pinkie was… well Pinkie, but he was never… enthralled like he was by the timid twin of Magiville’s residing party planning trickster mage. He wanted to lean in and kiss her, but he was not going to go any further until he knew what Marble wanted. Normally he would be told by the girl or rather asked if he would continue, but he was not used to someone as silent as him. However, he felt Marble placed her left hand on his cheek as if to…“Mhmm.” the geomancer said as she closed her eyes and tilted her head slightly as she lent up to him.

Before Marble could reach the cleric, he came to her. This was Marble’s first kiss, but as she felt Big Mac move not only his lips but himself so that Marble would get the most out of the kiss, clearly showing that he has kissed before, but now all his focus on her. She felt safe in his large arms as they wrapped around her. However, she still clung to him as she wrapped her arms around him. She had no idea how long they were kissing but there was a sudden break. Marble didn’t know why but then noticed her breathing as a little rapid. Big Mac had stopped so that the two could breathe. He was as Pinkie described him, a gentle giant. Marble tucked her head under Big Mac’s chin and gave a slight sigh of bliss. ‘Is this how mother and father feel when they are with each other?’ she asked herself without saying a word, but she didn’t want to leave this spot.

Big Mac and Marble were silent for awhile, they were not sure for how long, but after a while, they got back up to their feet and returned to the gala. As the entered Big Mac saw Applejack walking away from the food stand. Big Mac looked to Marble as if to ask her to manage his family's stand. Marble nodded and the two more or less took over. Granted there was almost nothing; a few goods and a fairly large apple cake remained with one keg of cider with still some cider but was almost emptied. Within a minute the only things that remained were the cake and two mugs worth of cider.

The two decided to finish off the cider and turned their backs from the cake unaware that the part of the cart it was on was detached and started to roll away. It was not until they heard, “Runaway cake.” that they noticed that the cake was gone. Big Mac simply closed up the stand, locked it up and rolled it into a corner, all the while whistling as guilty men often do in an attempt to give off the aura of innocence. Marble was slightly confused at what happened but elected to not to question it as she waited for Big Mac return. With everything more or less, taken care of, Big Mac started to walk back to Marble. En route he heard Octavia prepare her cello and the rest of the musicians prepare to play a waltz. He was not much of a formal dancer but he was willing to try.

As he returned to Marble, Big Mac started to head to the dance floor for the waltz that was about to begin. However, Marble had other plans. She pulled towards a set of doors. Big Mac did not argue. After a short while, they arrived at one of the rooms Celestia had reserved for Twilight and company to stay overnight. Marble opened the door and looking at Big Mac, her eyes asked him to spend the night with her as she stepped into the room taking his hand in both of hers.

“Eeyup,” Big Mac said as he entered the room, shutting the door behind him and Marble.


Scootaloo

After Rainbow Dash left to find Pinkie Pie, Scootaloo looked down at her ankles and her weak ethereal wings. She gave a depressed sigh at the likelihood she might never fly.

“Still down in the dumps about something?” Spitfire asked Scootaloo causing the young monk to look up and see that all the Wonderbolts she and Rainbow Dash had interacted with were concerned about her.

Scootaloo sighed, “I have a hard time flying, about two years ago I had a growth spurt but after that, my wings started to give out even while trying to go the shortest distance.” Scootaloo thought back to how things were before her family moved to Magiville. She frowned at that year in her life. “My parents moved us to Magiville just before last year's Summer Sun Celebration, they both got better jobs and with it being a terrestrial city there wouldn't be any fear of me falling to my doom until my wings… If they ever…” Scootaloo could not finish either statement as she closed her eyes and started to shed tears.

She soon felt thumbs rub her cheeks and the corner of her eyes, as someone was wiping away her tears. Scootaloo opened her eyes to see Surprise was looking right at her. “I know what’s it’s like to not be able to fly. When I was your age everyone assumed I was an Earthborn, if it were not for the fact I can’t take a hit like my Earthborn little sister, and my obviously faster reaction time.” Scootaloo’s face did little to hide her confusion. “Yeah, there are a lot of Earthborns in my family.” Surprise continued, “I think you know a distant cousin of mine, Pinkamena?”

“You’re related to Pinkie Pie?” Scootaloo asked taken aback by that comment.

Surprise shrugged her shoulders, “Odds are you and Rainbow Dash are more closely related to each other than I am to the Pies, I am just more aware of our relationship. But what I want to get to is that’s not uncommon for Skyborns born to Skyborn families with a lot of Earthborn or Magicborn blood to have a hard time flying until they are adults. Sometimes Skyborns of any ancestry don’t always see their wings grow proportional to the rest of their body, you know of one, Bulk Biceps.” Surprise stopped as she noticed that Scootaloo looked down at her ankles and her wings again, still with a frown. “But the flight of Skyborn doesn't all come from our wings, the vast majority of it comes from other parts of us, namely our inherent magic, but a surprisingly lot comes from our heart. Both the physical and metaphysical.” Surprise said as she pointed to Scootaloo’s heart. “My first flight was when I stopped trying to force my wings but took a leap of faith.”

Scootaloo looked Surprise in the eyes with a cautious smile growing, “So someday I will fly?” she asked.

“Well, Bulk Biceps can muster a wind power of 10 and I couldn’t even have my wings appear until I was fifteen, so it’s well within the realm of possibility.” Surprise cautiously encouraged.

Before Scootaloo could say anything, “Scootaloo, we need your help,” came the voice of Sweetie Belle. Scootaloo turned from Surprise to see Sweetie Belle and Spike.

Scootaloo looked to Surprise, not sure if she should leave or not. Before she could say anything, “Well, Wonderbolts don’t leave their wingmen hanging,” Surprise said as she more or less forced Scootaloo to her feet. “Well go on, kid.” Surprise encouraged. Scootaloo smiled and met up with her friends. Little knowing the particular crusade the Crusaders were about to embark on.


Sweetie Belle

“Announcing the arrival of Royal Astrophysics Night Light and his wife Twilight Velvet,” the herald said and blew his trumpet. “Also Announcing the arrival of Her Majesty Princess Celestia's Apprentice, Twilight Sparkle and her familiar Spike the dragon!” The herald then blew the trumpet again.

Sweetie Belle hugged her sister, “Best of luck with Blueblood,” Sweetie squeaked happily and she ran down the stairs to greet Spike.

“Well, best of luck tonight, darling,” a woman that looked like she was Twilight’s mother said as she and the man with her were about to leave Twilight and Spike.

“Spike! You made it!” Sweetie Belle squeaked as she effectively tackled Spike almost knocking the dragon off his feet.

“Um, Hi Sweetie,” said Spike as he heard the sound of two women, most likely Twilight Sparkle and Twilight Velvet, giggling. That set-off alarms and raised red flags for Spike, that usually meant the scene would be preserved for future potential embarrassments. A blue-tinted flash confirmed his fears, Night Light had just used the image capture spell that he usually used to capture various images of the night sky, which meant in a few hours it would already be transferred to a physical medium and he would have to endure its mention at a future date, probably even in relation to an actual date. Spike could only roll his eyes and give a silent groan.

Sweetie Belle then ended the hug and taking the dragon’s left hand started pulling him around away and around the line to greet Celestia and Luna. She then continued into the hall. Sweetie Belle stopped, “Tell me everything you know about Blueblood.” the young bard ordered catching the dragon.

“Huh?” the dragon asked utterly taken back by Sweetie Belle’s request. Sweetie Belle gave Spike a slight scowl. After a second of thought, “Oh, you want to know about Blueblood,” the dragon said connecting the dots. “Why?” he asked.

“Rarity has had her eye on him, not like you have your eye on her…” Sweetie Belle started before Spike could actually respond, “I know you are with me tonight because you have a crush on Rarity. And it’s okay, I kind of have a crush on someone in class. But I want to know for sure if Blueblood is good enough for Rarity.”

Spike scratched his head, “I don’t really know Blueblood personally, but when someone calls you an ‘uncouth purple people eater, just needs a horn, wings and lose an eye’ or falsely accuses you of eating his gems when he loses his things among other things,” Spike stopped knowing a fire was growing in his stomach if he continued to list his issues with Blueblood, “yeah I really don’t like the guy.”

“I can tell you all you need to know about my husband’s cousin,” came the voice of an elegant woman. Sweetie Belle and Spike turned to see the slender Fleur, she seemed to be a little agitated, likely by the mentioned of Blueblood.

“Oh, should we do some introductions?” said Spike, “Formal or informal?”

“I remember you both, the ring bearer and familiar of Princess Celestia’s apprentice, Spike I assume and one of the flower girls from Princess Cadance’s wedding, Sweetie Belle, if I recall,” Fleur said as she identified the two. Spike and Sweetie Belle nodded, “you can call me, Fleur.”

“As in Fleur Dis Lee, the model? Rarity would just kill to have you model just one of her dresses.” Sweetie Belle exclaimed cheerfully squeaking slightly. Realizing she squeaked she covered her mouth with embarrassment.

Fleur gave an amused chuckle, “When I was your age the boys in school called me ‘Squeak Dis Lee’.”

Sweetie gave her a confused look, Spike supplied an explanation, “In her tell-all book, which Twilight wouldn’t stop reading when it came out three or four years ago, Fleur explains that when she was around your age she was ‘a bit of an ugly duckling’ with a voice that was almost as squeaky as yours, Sweetie Belle.” Spike’s delivery was slightly bland and annoyed as if he had heard the summary read to him a hundred times at least.

“Was it really that long ago,” Fleur said, more with amusement than actually asking a question, “but that does sound like something I said. Of course, the publishers wanted to edit it out, mostly because they thought individuals with ‘a figure’ like mine shouldn’t be saying how very much like an average person I looked back then. Of course, they had to play it up, the ‘ugly duckling’ part is a bit of an exaggeration on my editor’s part,” she gave a coy smile, “I had more of a figure that could just blend into the background, a lot of my old school yearbooks have a little girl you can’t pick from a crowd, I can spot that little girl easy because I looked at that face almost every day for a few years. I didn’t know I was appealing to look at until I was offered my first stint as a model, that one show turned me into showrunner that everyone just had to have on the stage.”

“I’ll have to read it sometime in the future, but about Blueblood?” Sweetie Belle asked getting the conversation back to the original subject.

Fleur took a small breath, as she collected her thoughts, “Well Blueblood has never earned anything he has.” Fleur started, “then again being the only known surviving relative of the founder Princess Platinum…” Fleur paused for a moment as she recalled a little-known fact about Blueblood, “In fact, he is the only known surviving relative of any of the six main founders.” Fleur drank some of her cider and then continued. “He never had to work for anything in his life and he is rather self-absorbed. He has taken credit for things he never did or says he’s involved in things he knows nothing about, granted he rarely interacts with people from outside of Chantalot or women old enough truly grasp that Chantalot is not the only city in the nation.”

Sweetie Belle took all that she heard in as Fleur spoke, she did not like any of it. Rarity’s dream was to open a boutique in Chantalot, but that was only a starting point or finishing point and such a person would confine her to Chantalot and it was clear to Sweetie Belle that Blueblood would also infuriate Rarity, as Rarity was also taking the time to learn about the fashion business and culture of the other main cities, such as Manahattan, Vanconjur, Las Magus, Balitmage, just to list four of the hundreds of cities in Mystica, not including Protectorates like Gryphonstone and Territories like Magetonia or the neighboring countries like Yakyakistan or Zecora’s homelands of Nyika, and would spread her own business out to these cities and more. But while there might be more information, Sweetie had heard enough; Blueblood was not, and never would be, worthy enough for Rarity.

“Thank you, Ms. Dis Lee, I think I have everything I need. Come on Spike, we have some more investigating to do.” Sweetie said as she gave Fleur a slight curtsy and grabbed Spike by his hand and pulled him after her. She soon arrived at a door and using Spike as step-stole as she looked to see Blueblood refuse to open the door for Rarity. “OH COME ON!!!” Sweetie Belle shouted as Rarity opened the door for the prince. However, Spike managed to get the two away before Rarity or Blueblood spotted them.

“Are you insane? Trying to spy on Rarity? You know she wanted you to have a good time here, not spend your birthday worrying about her!” Spike lectured as Sweetie got off his back. However, when she was back on her own two feet, the young bard had a look on her face as if she was thinking. Spike shivered, he never liked the look of any of the CMC when they were thinking. It wasn’t that they necessarily had bad ideas, but when they involved him, he never liked what would befall him, when they were implemented. He was still checking to see if the...residue of the last plan that involved him was all gone, and that was over two weeks before this party. What didn’t help matters was the fact that “Cutie Mage Crusaders, Dragon Hunters!” was forever ingrained in his memory. Soon Sweetie Belle stopped thinking and gave an evil smile and laughed with a small but evil ‘hehehe’.

Within a few minutes Sweetie Belle found Scootaloo at the Wonderbolts’ table with a Wonderbolt, in what seemed to be a personal moment, but the bard needed her fellow Crusaders, “Well, Bulk Biceps can muster a wind power of 10 and I couldn’t even have my wings appear until I was fifteen, so it’s well within the realm of possibility.” Sweetie Belle and Spike heard as the older Skyborn encourage Scootaloo as they arrived at the table.

Before Scootaloo could say anything, “Scootaloo, we need your help,” Sweetie Belle called out to her monastic friend to get her attention. Scootaloo turned from the Wonderbolt she was speaking with to face Sweetie Belle and Spike.

Scootaloo then looked back to the blonde Wonderbolt, not sure if she should leave or not. Before she could say anything, “Well, Wonderbolts don’t leave their wingmen hanging,” Surprise said as she more or less forced Scootaloo to her feet. “Well go on, kid.” the older Skyborn encouraged. Scootaloo smiled and met up with her friends. Little knowing the particular crusade the Crusaders were about to embark on.

After a short burst, Sweetie Belle spied Apple Bloom alone on a bench, “Apple Bloom,” Sweetie Belle squeaked getting the artificer to turn to see her, Scootaloo and Spike. “We need your help.” Sweetie Belle continued.

“We got a crusade, Crusaders,” Scootaloo said as she seemed to have connected the dots.

“So w’at’s our quest?” Apple Bloom asked.

Sweetie Belle turned to Spike and gave a mischievous grin. “I am not going to like this, am I?” the dragon said with a gulp.


Apple Bloom and Maud

After separating from Limestone and Pinkie, Maud and Apple Bloom sat down. “So you wanted to know what you do with the rocks you find on your farm aside from making a stone wall fence?” Maud asked in her monotone voice getting to the point, however, there was a subtle welcoming inflection in her voice.

Apple Bloom was a little unsure how to proceed, “Ah know, ther’ ain't a lot of t’ings t’at a farmer knows how to use loose stone, but wah already ‘ave one t’at surrounds Sweet Apple Temple wit’ enchantments from w’en it was founded a couple centuries ago,” she started but stopped feeling as though she was trailing off.

Maud looked at Apple Bloom in what seemed to Apple Bloom to be blank. “I would have to see the rocks you uncovered as you prepared your fields,” Maud commented. “Different rocks form in different places and have different uses. Also I would have to see the stone wall you currently have,” the monotonic geomancer then stopped and looked up and down and then to Boulder then back to Apple Bloom, “However, you can set aside a part of the temple grounds to make a pit and set a fire in it to warm rocks in it.” Maud finished.

“A rock pit to warm rocks…” Apple Bloom said slightly confused at the thought.

“Certain rocks are good for storing heat, and be used to cook without the need for a stove and warm rooms and areas without the need for a furnace,” Maud explained. “However, they will need to be replaced every so often, depending on the circulation of your home.” Apple Bloom took out her notebook and jotted down what Maud told her. “If you have cast iron pans, you can put the rocks in them and use that to warm your beds during the winter night.”

Apple Bloom was scratching out a spot next to the temple proper. She was able to form a basic idea for a pit and an easy way to fetch warmed rocks. “So ‘ow ahffective are warm rocks?”Apple Bloom asked.

Maud placed her hand on her chin, and while her expression did not change. However, Apple Bloom could tell that Maud was in thought. After a minute of thought, Maud had an answer, “It really depends on the rocks, some rocks like slate will shatter. I’ll have to see what you have to know for certain,” Maud commented taking her hand away from her chin. She then looked down at the table to Boulder. She was silent for a few seconds and looked back up to Apple Bloom, “Boulder has never been to an apple farm.” She then looked back down to Boulder and back up. “He wants to go and see all the nice rocks there.”

“Well t’erah t’is big boulder t’at Rarity picked up called 'Tom', which wah have more or less taken in. Maybe Boulder and Tom will become pen pals,” Apple Bloom commented as she finished her sketches, she would still need to work out the logistics through trial and error.

Maud looked back to Boulder, after a second she looked back to Apple Bloom, “He would love to met Tom.” Maud then had a subtle change in her gaze as if she was curious about something, which Apple Bloom seemed to pick up on. “Pinkie told us that you and two of your friends make up what you called the Cutie Mage Crusaders. I would like to hear about it.”

Apple Bloom took a moment to think, she had numerous misadventures with her friends. Where should she begin? She had to think about it all carefully, she didn’t want to get her friends into unnecessary trouble. But then again, Applejack, Rarity, and Ms. Cheerilee have already lectured them after pretty much every time thing went wrong. But maybe, “Well earlier this school year, Sweetie, Scoots and Mahself didn’t know what our talents were so we tried a wide array of things. One time Ah suggested we join thah school paper.”

“So how did it go?” Maud asked.

Apple Bloom looked away for a second, “Not too good. Yah see wah got caught up in trying to be journalists that wah started spreading secrets and rumors,” Apple Bloom answered. “When yahr family found out it was us, things got so bad, Big Mac chewed us out for a solid minute,” Apple Bloom saw that Maud’s expression change to actually show shock. “And there were some other things, like Twilight banning us from the library, which she actually couldn’t do, but that’s beside the point, Rainbow Dash used a cloud to make a downpour on the three of us, and Angel Bunny slammed the door in our face after showing a distraught Fluttershy.” Apple Bloom tucked her head ashamed of how things devolved. “We did want to stop, but wah didn’t want Diamond Tiara to publish some of our secrets if we quit. After some thought, Ah suggested we publicly out ourselves. Wah did and in the end, Ah'm given to understand that the town has forgiven us.”

Maud thought for a second, she then looked down to her pet rock as if the rock was saying something to her, “Boulder thinks your friends must have come up with worse ideas.” Maud said to the young artificer.

Apple Bloom moved a little uncomfortable in her chair, “Well this last Hearts and Charms Day wah all thought it would be a good idea to get our teacher Ms. Cheerilee a special somebody and Sweetie Belle suggested mah brot’er, Big Mac. Wah tried to make a romantic scene, that didn’t work. Wah then hit the library and found a love potion recipe in the book that told the history of the day. Sweetie Belle convinced us to make the potion.” Apple Bloom paused looking at Maud and Boulder. “It turned out that it was a poison. Wah were stuck doing Big Mac’s chores around the farm.”

Maud looked to Boulder and after a couple of seconds back to Apple Bloom, “Boulder thought you have been making machines to make things easier. Or so Pinkie told us.” the geomancer commented, while still in her deadpan manner, there was a slight inflection of surprise.

“Without any of mah inventions, for a week.” Apple Bloom responded which seemed to have shocked the little rock as it rolled by itself which caused Apple Bloom to blink, Am Ah seeing things. “But that wasn’t the only time. Yah see one weekend early in the fall wah planned to have a slumber party at Rarity’s place, but she was back up with orders and Fluttershy volunteered to host it. Wah had a little too much fun and accidentally scared away one of her chickens into the Everfree, Scootaloo came up with the idea to go after it.” Apple Bloom paused before she continued. She did not like the next part of that story, “Wah were almost petrified by a cockatrice if Fluttershy didn’t stare it down chance are we would probably be statues somewhere in the forest right now.” Apple Bloom then gave a sigh, “And yah most likely heard about the talent show from Pinkie Pie.” the artificer then stopped because she assumed that Pinkie might have already shared the results of the event.

Maud looked to Boulder and then back to Apple Bloom and back and forth. “Boulder said that if Sweetie sang, Scootaloo did the choreography and you did the set design you guys would have won in the field you wanted to win in. Boulder also said that he would have booed you off stage.” Maud then gave the tiny rock a smack. “That wasn’t very nice, Boulder.” Maud still spoke in her monotonic manner but there was a clearly mother-scolding-a-child infection. As she turned her attention back to Apple Bloom, “But, you seem the most practical of your friends,” said Maud in her usual deadpan manner, “I believe you’ll have managed to come up with ways to reign in your friends’ plans before they get too out of hand in the future.”

Apple Bloom gave a nervous chuckle, “Well, ya see, Ah mite bae a little responsible for some of the plans that got a little too out of hand, but Ah think mah bad idea ta good idea ratio is better than tha others.”

Maud just gave her a flat look before saying, “At least you’re learning, sometimes experiencing a bad idea’s resolution can be more informative than a successful good idea.”

Apple Bloom thought about what Maud just said. She was right, Apple Bloom had learned a great deal from her and her friends’ misadventures. Maud was right, she learned to value that people don’t share everything and sometimes it’s the right thing to not publish them. Arguably a lesson she should not have needed to learn but unlike everyone else, she, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle actually understood why. Unlike her friends’ sisters and her sister, the CMC actually had first-hand experience how much Fluttershy actually contributed to everyone who knows her. The three also understood why one should not force people together just because they seem to be a good fit. But the main takeaway, Apple Bloom had to acknowledge, actions have consequences, granted from her experience those were among the best possible results but they still came out rather unfavorably, she still shivered at the thought of polishing all the harvested apples by hand with her toothbrush while also having to do the dishes and floors with hand brushes.

However, after some thought, as unpleasant as her punishments were, she realized how precious the lessons she had learned and how much of her life has and will improve because of them “Yah’re right. Wah have learned a lot over the year!” Apple Bloom exclaimed happily.

Maud then got up, “I need to use the powder room, do you mind accompanying me?” Maud asked as she took a step from the table, not before picking up Boulder and placing him in her pocket. Apple Bloom got up and joined her.

As they walked, “What always confound mah was why they call it the powder room,” Apple Bloom commented as they exited the dance floor and accompanying part of the hall.

Maud’s expression did not change but Apple Bloom seemed to pick up that the older geomancer was in thought. “Part of the origins of the term comes from how noblewomen would freshen-up before exiting, namely reapplying makeup and/or applying certain powders to their noses to either negate the scent of the place going in or get the scent out of their minds before they leave.” Maud summarized. “Granted I really don’t know why such people feel the need to make things more complicated than they have to because of their use of euphemisms,” Maud commented as they arrived at the restroom.

After finishing their business there, the two left the restroom and the two started to head back to the into the gala hall, however, despite the proximity of the two, they got subtly separated from each other. Maud was the first to realize she had lost Apple Bloom. Panic flashed white on her face. She bolted back to the table. There she saw someone offer a cider to Limestone. “I need your help, I lost Apple Bloom. Pinkie is going to kill me if anything happens to her.” Her fear and panic were very apparent, as she almost never expressed emotions and spoke almost in a constant monotone.

Limestone drank the cider she was offered to her in one gulp and followed with the cider of the person who offered it to her. “If you’re going to drink a girl under the table, bring a keg or two.” Limestone said to the man as she got to her feet, the man just gawked, which meant he probably didn’t know an Earthborn’s natural resistance included an almost unnaturally high fortitude capable of suppressing most toxins of a non-magical nature. “Alright, don’t panic, Maud. Now where did you last see her?” the oldest Pie asked turning to her eldest younger sisters. Maud then led her in search of Apple Bloom. Maud also gave Boulder a stern look, which indicated she was scolding someone laughing at something that they thought was funny but was not a joke worthy at the moment.

Apple Bloom looked around, how had she been separated from Maud? She had practically been holding the geomancer’s hand. And to top things off, she had gotten lost on the way back from the restroom. Finding an unoccupied bench, which seemed to have a bit of dust on it for some reason. She did her best clear off some of the dust, Applejack would likely scold her for getting her fancy suit all dirty without good reason, and just sitting on bench thinking probably wouldn’t cut it as an alibi. Sitting down she gave a huff, at least she found somewhere quiet to think for a bit.

Pulling out her notebook she flipped through it to see what inspirations had hit her during the event, two mostly done and one partially scrawled sketches stared back at her. It was official, fancy parties hindered inspiration and creativity. She would have gotten way more out just spending a couple of hours doing chores at home, even if her hands were tied up like a hog for slaughter. Which she was currently thinking would be more exciting and interesting than this joke of a party, all it really was could be summed up in a sentence, “Social ‘Elite’” wanting to grab the attention of the nation’s ruler and brag about accomplishments they most likely didn’t even have genuine involvement in,” in short the kind of party her family did not tend to take well to. She couldn’t fault Applejack for wanting to try it, it did mean good business for the Apple Family in Sweet Apple Temple and the clan as a whole with all the orders they got. But she would rather take a disastrous family road trip over this.

“Apple Bloom,” the young artificer heard a familiar squeak, breaking her from her reflection. She turned to see Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, and Spike. “We need your help.” Sweetie Belle continued.

“We got a crusade, Crusaders,” Scootaloo said as she seemed to have connected the dots.

“So w’at’s our quest?” Apple Bloom asked.

Sweetie Belle turned to Spike and gave a mischievous grin. “I am not going to like this, am I?” the dragon said with a gulp.


All Together

Having gathered the rest of the CMC, Sweetie Belle huddled the three and Spike. “Alright Crusaders, Rarity is having a terrible night thanks to the good-for-nothing Prince Blueblood,” Sweetie Belle started.

“I am not liking where this is going,” Spike commented.

“Found you,” came a stern and agitated female voice, the four broke from their huddle and turned to see Limestone Pie. “Maud has been looking all over the place for you.” Limestone then turned and waved her hand beckoning Maud over.

The younger of the two elder Pie sisters ran over and hugged Apple Bloom, she was clearly distraught. “Oh thank heaven you’re okay!” Maud exclaimed, “Pinkie would kill me if anything happened to you.” she continued expressing concern as she looked Apple Bloom in the face. “Where were you?”

“Ah lost yah after the restroom. Sweetie, Scoots, and Spike found mah. Wah’re about to start a quest.” Apple Bloom answered as Maud ended her embrace and looked to her friends explaining the situation.

“Pinkie was right, you three will try anything and everything. I doubt we can stop you, but you three are going to have some sort of supervision. What do you have in mind?” Limestone asked as she had elected to help out the three instead of them getting into another misadventure that her sister had told her and the rest of the Pies about.

Sweetie Belle looked at Spike and gave him what the young dragon would consider an evil smile. “We’re going to use our magic to grow a dragon.” Everyone else turned to Spike and then back to Sweetie Belle then back to Spike and then back to Sweetie Belle. All of them were baffled at the thought, save one.

Spike was not baffled at all, he knew what Sweetie Belle was planning, she was going to try to use her bardic powers to make him mature artificially. Something he knew was not going to work, or at least shouldn’t when you took into account everything he and Twilight had learned about dragons in relation to magic. “This is not a good idea, dragons have a natural resistance to magic,” said Spike trying to convey that this was a doomed proposition, “In fact, there are very few spells that can be cast directly on us.”

Sweetie Belle smiled, as another thought crept into her mind, one that might just work,“Then we’ll just have to do it indirectly,” said Sweetie Belle, which caused everyone including Spike to look at her in confusion.

“Did anyone bring anything we can use as a charm or focus for a spell or group of spells?” inquired Scootaloo, seeming to get the hint faster than everyone else, “because I sure don’t have anything like some cord, a small chain or trinkets on me for that sort of thing.”

Apple Bloom gave a sigh of annoyance, “Yah didn’ think yer plan through vary well, Sweets.” This earned a sheepish look from the young bard.

“Okay, so it’s more of an idea than a plan right now,” said Sweetie, “I honestly don’t have much to work with right now.”

“Most of the ‘plans’ you three have are barely more than ideas,” Spike snarled, “frankly, the only reason why I’m still here is because, I have little to no choice in the matter of being here. If I had it my way, I’d be at Donut Joe’s right now drowning my sorrows in sugar.”

Sweetie Bell then gave a smirk for a second, a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it moment. However, she was able to get her eyes to tear up, “Poor Rarity, her prince is a monster and she has no knight in shining scales to rescue her.” She then looked at Spike with huge sad puppy eyes with a frown that would be an ear-to-ear if it was a smile. The dragon gave a sigh of frustration. But it was clear that he was giving into the bard’s plan.

Maud reached into her pocket, as if she felt something vibrate, and pulled out Boulder in her right hand. After a few seconds of silence as Maud just looked at Boulder. All the while the other five just waited. Limestone was not surprised at this in the slightest but she was a little annoyed. While Apple Bloom was confused much like the rest of the CMC and Spike, she did have a degree more understanding, albeit not much. Maud then spoke, “Boulder has an idea. He wants to be transmuted into an echoing gem.”

“A what?” Apple Bloom asked, verbalizing the confusion that was also expressed by the rest save Limestone.

Limestone pinched the bridge of her nose, “It’s a type of gem that is able to echo a spell embedded in it, which can circumvent dragons’ natural spell resistance as long as it’s worn by the dragon.” Limestone informed. “But even if we transmute Boulder into an echo gem, that transmutation spell would only last until dawn,” she continued pointing out a potential flaw in the plan.

Sweetie’s mouth morphed into a smile that rivaled Pinkie’s, “All the time we need.” Sweetie informed as she started forming more and more of her plan.

“Wah’re gonna havta make some sorta necklace… Wait.” Apple Bloom said as she reached into the pockets in her apron and pulled out a golden chain, long enough to be a necklace for Big Mac. “Ah ha!” Apple Bloom exclaimed as she clasped the necklace around Spike’s neck.

“How long have you been carrying that,” inquired Scootaloo, befuddled that her friend would carry that golden chain. “Ya didn’t have it on the trip here.” She continued pointing out the absence of it for as long as she knew.

“Bu’ AJ did,” Apple Bloom answered, “an ol’ time tradition we Apples keep up is a charm bracelet.”

“That’s a little big for a bracelet, even somebody like Big Mac,” Sweetie commented as she looked at the chain after taking it off of Spike.

“Earthborn like to maintain a lot of old traditions,” said Maud, “the carrying a large chain for making the charm bracelets is, in and of itself, a tradition. You cut off a length of the chain that’s just enough for the charm the bracelet, the bracelet itself has three important meanings. The first one is to signify the parting of good friends always having a connection. When you three go your separate ways Apple Bloom will probably insist on charm bracelets that have charms that signify each of you and some of your meaningful endeavors. The second kind of charm bracelet is to signify a connection between close business associates, chances are you’ve seen a few people that fit that description without actually seeing the bracelets. And the third is to signify those in a romantic relationship, with the charms indicating the couple and some of the events they believe brought them closer as lovers.” Two of the three young mages and the young dragon stared in surprise at the monotone geomancer.

“Wait, does that Mean Applejack came to this event looking for love?” said Scootaloo in disbelief.

“Nah, she was just tryin’ ta find some personal business-type connect’ns,” said Apple Bloom dismissively towards the notion that Applejack would find someone for a romantic relationship, “if she does get one o’ those romance charm bracelets out et’s gonna be a little different than we think. Tha day AJ comes home wid official news she has a boyfriend is the day Mac goes around as the chattiest guy in town, nonstop, until the end o’ tha day an’ Ah go around in notin’ bu’tha prettiest dress tha Rarity wants me to wid no hasslin’ ‘er. Frankly, there’s a better chance o’ Tartarus freezin’ over a’ this point.” Apple Bloom continued to laugh the idea off.

Maud then spoke up, “We just need a spell for Boulder to echo. Because I found a spot we can make the necklace and I can easily transmute Boulder into an echoing gem.” as she shut her eyes, there was a sudden gray glow from within Maud’s right hand, and some seem to come from where Maud’s eyelids meet when they closed. After a couple of seconds, the glow died down. Maud opened her eyes and hand. She looked at the new rock in her hand, it was a light gray gem. “Boulder’s good to go, just need to make the necklace and the spell.”

“I think I know a spell, or at least of one,” said Sweetie Belle, “it’s more of a glamour charm really, and those usually have the side effect of being seen through by everyone present at the point of the spell’s casting being able to see through them.”

“Arcane monks have a series of spells that work on physical properties,” said Scootaloo, “maybe if we combine the two it’ll work out better.”

“Sorry, girls,” said Limestone a little too roughly, “but echoing gems only work with one spell, they get a bit unstable if you try using more than that in them.”

“Well,” said Apple Bloom, “wha’ if we ‘ad two then, a smaller one ta compliment tha larger one wid the chain acting as a connection circuit.”

A few seconds later at a spot not far from the restrooms, “How in the...Bloom, when did you find this old forge?” Sweetie Belle asked as she looked it over.

“Ah didn't,” Apple Bloom denied as she looked the place over and put an additional layer of forge clothes found there so not to ruin her dress.

“Boulder and I found it. It was on the way to the restroom,” said Maud in her usual deadpan manner, “we didn’t think much of it at the time, but this is the perfect place to work without disturbing the party unintentionally.” Apple Bloom then took the transmuted Boulder and the chain and within five minutes she had exited with the necklace, Boulder in its new gem form on it. As she handed the necklace to Sweetie Belle. “Alright, you’re up Sweetie,” Maud said as she nodded to the bard.

Sweetie Belle held the gem close to her heart as she started to sing. “Rarity is sweet and kind,
She's the best sister I could hope for.
The perfect man you and I must find
One to really make her heart so-o-oar.” Sweetie Belle held that last note as Boulder started to glow for a few seconds as the spell that Sweetie Belle was casting, which was to make Spike ‘perfect’ for Rarity, was absorbed into it. As Sweetie Belle ended the glow died down but, within the gem, there appeared to be a pulsating light. Sweetie Belle then put it around Spike’s neck. She then gave Scootaloo a wink and the arcane monk left the group.

Spike instantly dropped to his knees and hunched forward. It was clear he was in pain and he bit down on his lips trying to not scream or roar as his body started to expand and grow. In pain, he crawled into the forge and shut the door behind him. After almost fifteen seconds there was a subdued roar of anguish and followed by a whimper Big Mac would give if something fell on his foot. Spike emerged from the room, but he stood slightly taller than the average man, his spikes were more defined, his scales were brighter, overall he was more muscular, not as muscular as Big Mac or Bulk Biceps, but a little more than the average man, in fact, he looked liked he aged ten years, surprising his suit matched his new state. One thing, however, was worse off, his face was pale and he was clearly recovering from what happened. “I am never doing this again.” He declared in his new aged voice. “So how we going to separate Rarity from Blue… Where’s Scootaloo?”

“Runaway cake!” everyone heard as Scootaloo sneaked back to rejoin the others with a mischievous grin on her face.

“You’re up, Spi… Woah… I forgot how big you can get.” Scootaloo commented as she stared at Spike in his new state. “Still no wings,” she said under her breath, which did not go unnoticed by the others but they all just remained quiet save Spike as he gave an annoyed growl.

Spike tucked the necklace under the collar of his shirt, “Alright let’s do this.” He said after taking a breath and focusing on his goal, his lady Rarity. Everyone returned to the dance hall and looked for Rarity. Spike’s draconic eyes spied her first, “found her. Well here goes everything.” Spike looked at the five girls and nodded, they each gave him an encouraging nod. Spike turned to his target, Rarity and taking a pocket handkerchief he left the five women to accomplish the mission.

As Spike in his slightly aged form walked to Rarity, the CMC turned to face each other and jumped into the air and gave themselves as three-way high five, “Wah done good Crusaders.” Apple Bloom said as she and the other two landed on their feet.

“Yeah but letting that cake runaway was a little much,” Sweetie Belle commented as she turned to Scootaloo, “I asked for something that would force them apart.”

“Well, what could be more forcier than Rarity or Blueblood needing to clean themselves off?” Scootaloo asked as she rubbed the back of her head nervously.

“Forcier…” Sweetie Belle then pinched the bridge of her nose in frustration over her friend’s failure at grasping the Mystican Basic language, “We got you a dictionary and a thesaurus, please read them before you butcher our language again”

“Won’t surprise mah t’at Scoots is illiterate, or uses t’em as doorstops er somethin’ ta prop furniture up on.” Apple Bloom joked, earning a laugh from Sweetie Belle and a glare and nervous look from Scootaloo. “But all jokin’ aside, it was the best way to get t’em to separate.”

“Hey!” Limestone projected getting the three younger girls to turn to face the two older geomancers. “What about us? You couldn’t have done that without us.” Limestone pointed out, earning a weak ‘teehee’ from the three girls. Turning to Maud, “Don’t you say it, you know I am right… wait? Is that… Oh buck no!” Limestone exclaimed as she noticed Marble lead Big Mac away from the gala. She was however stopped by Maud. After a short stare down. “Fine, but he does anything I get to break him.”

“Hey don’t yah think that’s a little presumptuous to say mah brother is gonna bah anything but a gentleman!” Apple Bloom challenged a little agitated at the accusation that her brother was some sort of rake.

“Girls, come on, why can’t we be happy, Big Mac found someone that likes him for who he is and Marble… well, I really don’t know about her, but she looked happy.” Sweetie Belle commented getting between the two, trying to stop a fight.

Limestone gave a sigh, “Yeah, besides Pinkie has always wanted to expand that intersection of her family and friends on that Venn diagram of hers.”

“Well with only three sisters, a mother, and father, there aren't many in Pinkie’s family and unless two more of her friends have brothers, that intersection won’t get much bigger.” Maud deadpanned.

“Well Fluttershy has a younger brother, he is the same age as Rainbow Dash, the only reason he and Rainbow were not In the same class was because Rainbow was bumped up one year. But, because Fluttershy was held back a year, the two met…” Scootaloo started but trailed off nervous about possibly pimping off Fluttershy’s brother unintentionally.

“Oh, I heard of Zephyr… I love Pinkie and I don’t mind helping her make her friends part of the family, but I refuse to bite that bullet.” Limestone commented rolling her eyes at the idea of her and Zephyr having a relationship.

“Are you sure Rainbow is an only child or you and Rarity don’t have a brother?” Maud asked after she shared a look with Limestone as if she was pleading to not be the one stuck with Fluttershy’s younger brother. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle both gave nervous laughs. “So that’s a ‘no’?” Maud asked, getting nods from all three of the younger mages. Maud then looked up as the musicians started to play a waltz. “Well, the waltz has started.”

“I say let’s all get off our feet.” Limestone said as she started back to the table. “I won’t be caught on a dance floor without a partner.” A second later Maud followed her older sister. It took a second or two more for the three younger mages to realize that they were better off of the dance floor proper. As the five sat down they could not help but smile as they witness how Spike literally swept Rarity off her feet.

As they scanned the floor for their other sisters. “I see Fluttershy.” Sweetie Belle said calling everyone’s attention to the druid as she danced with an older man wearing a crown of antlers. “She looks like she’s on cloud nine,” Sweetie added. “So that’s Big Mac, Marble, Rarity, Spike and now Fluttershy.”

Scootaloo then looked around and up. Her mouth hung open as she tapped on Apple Bloom’s shoulder. After getting her red-head friend’s attention, she pointed her towards what caught her gaze, “Is that Applejack… dancing in the air with ...Soarin?” the monk asked finally getting words to her mouth.

“Well paint mah wagon red.” Apple Bloom replied in confusion. After witnessing the pair fly out a window “Well …” the artificer was unable to form words to convey her thoughts, but as her face was slightly contorted, her confusion was more or less self-evident.

“Breakfast is going to very interesting,” Sweetie replied. “with both Big Mac and Applejack clearly having something akin to one of Rarity’s… well, she calls them adult fantasy novels but there is nothing fantastic about them and the dialogue in them is rather childish.” Sweetie informed. “Please don’t tell Rarity that I have read a few of them!” After the young bard made that plea, she spied something that caught her attention. “Hey is that Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash?” Sweetie Belle asked as she pointed out the elementalist and the jester as their hometown party planner lead the other out of the hall.

“Why am I not surprised?” Limestone asked rhetorically as everyone but Maud expressed confusion over what they have seen. Electing to comfort one of the three and the two by proximity, “You know, Scootaloo,” Limestone started getting everyone to turn to her, “just because they two ran off together, that doesn’t mean they are actually going to do anything like in one of those how did you say it, Sweetie?” Limestone asked as she turned to Sweetie Belle.

Nervously Sweetie Belle answered, “Um..adult fantasy novels…” her tone was weak and clearly she did not want to speak.

“Father would call them ‘books by idle hands trying to save idle minds from becoming paradises for demons.’ Well in slightly different words, our father and mother speaking an archaic form of our language.” Maud commented earning her a few confused looks from the three younger mages. “You should visit the rock farm, it will answer so many of your questions.”

After a second or two of processing all that, “Well, on a different note, we helped our sisters have a great time, and we also have something to hang over Diamond Tiara.” Sweetie Belle said calling attention to something that the CMC got out of the night.

“Yeah, and I got to talk to a Wonderbolt that not only had a harder time flying at my age but is also not an elementalist,” Scootaloo added cheerfully. “There’s still a chance I can be a Wonderbolt!”

“Ah made a friend,” Apple Bloom said smiling at Maud, earning a barely visible smile on the monotonic geomancer’s face. “And Ah got a few ideas for projects,” Apple Bloom said pulling out her notebook and showing it to her friends and Limestone.

Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo expressed that they were clearly impressed with a couple ‘oh’s and ‘ah’s. Limestone was much more subdued as she handed it back to Apple Bloom. “So all in all, this was…” Limestone started but paused as she and Maud let the three younger girls declare.

“THE BEST NIGHT EVER!!!” the three couldn’t help but giggle afterward. All the while the two older women just shared a smile unnoticed by the three girls in silent agreement with them.

After a few seconds, Sweetie Belle looked around as if she forgot something, “Wait a minute has anyone seen Twilight?” she asked to herself as she remembered there was one last member of their group. But she elected to not press the matter and like Scootaloo elected to see if she could also become a friend of Maud and maybe all three could become friends with Limestone. But all in all, it was a great night.

Author's Note:

This has taken longer than I expected...

"THANK YOU, FOXHELM!":scootangel:

Okay we have had, :ajsmug:,:yay:,:rainbowdetermined2:,:pinkiehappy:,:raritywink: and now :scootangel:,:applecry:,:unsuresweetie:,:eeyup:,:moustache: and the Pie Sisters.

That leaves...

'My night with Princess Celestia' :twilightsmile:

Up next Twilight's Night and the firing of Chekvoh's Gun

'What gun?':twilightoops: