• Published 5th Dec 2016
  • 2,374 Views, 99 Comments

My Little Mages: The Grand Gala - Foxhelm



A moment of calm has come for Twilight et al, and how best to celebrate, then the long awaited Grand Gala. No matter what happens, it will be a night to remember. A 'My Little Mages' retelling of 'The Best Night Ever'.

  • ...
4
 99
 2,374

Fluttershy's Night

Fluttershy was the second of her group to enter, mostly because Angel Bunny was effectively pushing her, “I am sorry Angel, but this is so…” Fluttershy said to her companion but the slight scowl from Angel got her to press on.

As they passed the herald, “Announcing Fluttershy, Druid of the Everfree Forest and her animal companion, Angel Bunny,” he projected and blew his trumpet. This caused Fluttershy and Angel to cringe as they walked away.

“Ow,” she said weakly as they approached the diarchs. “Your Highnesses!” Fluttershy said as she bowed to Celestia and Luna. Angel also gave a bow, then turned to Luna and gave a salute. This resulted in Luna giving a subdued chuckle.

“We are most pleased that you joined us,” Luna said as she and Celestia nodded to the druid.

“I would suggest keeping Angel hidden,” Celestia advised, “Remember when I gave you your ticket?” The princess asked the druid. Fluttershy nodded. “Well, let’s just say the nobles tend to frown upon animals being present at this event, you might even catch some bitter notes from the other druids in attendance.”

“The nobles are little more the spoiled brats that need a good spanking, Sister, and you know it.” Luna pointed out. “One night a year, they cannot keep how they feel about animals to themselves for one night.” Celestia did not challenge the point.

“Well I am certain a solution will present itself,” Celestia said and gave Fluttershy a wink. “I hope you enjoy your time.”

Fluttershy then went into the hall. The first thing she noted was there was a slowly growing line of people at Applejack’s stand. Fluttershy knew she was nervous about meeting the other druids and she also knew that having one cider seemed to help her overcome her inhibitions. While her therapist did advise against relying on any substance, she knew she could use something to take the edge off. But she was intimidated by the size of the line and was unsure of what to do when she felt her dress being tugged. She looked down and saw Angel with a mug of cider handing it to her. “Thank you.” She said and gave the rabbit a kiss on his forehead, “Cold?” she asked Angel, the bunny nodded in response, “Regular?” she asked. Angel nodded in response again. Fluttershy drank the cider and then started looking around to find the other druids invited to the gala.

Spotting the high ranking druids wasn’t too hard, they all were in dress robes made of animal skins and furs that showed everyone the druids were still on duty. Fluttershy had wanted to get one for herself, even provided Rarity a book with dozens of samples the year before and explained their importance. While the white-clad enchantress had been delighted with it all it also decided that Fluttershy wouldn’t be getting one this year, Rarity said everything had to be just right and finding a material to meet the needs while also being aesthetically pleasing would be a challenge she would gladly take on, eventually (to be fair Rarity was the expert in the field).

As soon as she began her approach she noticed that none of the other druids’ companions were within sight, which she found odd on account of the number one rule of the relationship between a druid and his or her companion was always keep close to each other as a sign of trust in each other and safety to those around. As she drew nearer she started to pick up on what was being said, “...and above all, they said my bear companion, Waltzer, was disinvited the moment we arrived at the door,” a woman said.

“I know the feeling, Skystrike wasn’t permitted access either.” a man compounded.

“Really, your eagle wasn’t barred last year.”

“Some nonsense about how he was leering at a pompous noble last year, I’m sure. They also barred my jackalope, Hedge Zoom, this year, he’s been welcome for the past decade.”

“Probably due to some noble making an accusation about how he appeared to be a pet and how those aren’t allowed at this event,” another druid said and it was clear they all were irritated.

One of the druids, a woman about Fluttershy’s age spoke, she had red hair that was done in locks and wore a crown of flowers, with a pendant with a tree with branches that were shaped into a heart, overall she seemed to be at peace, many would erroneously conclude she was taking psychedelic drugs and was still on the high from taking them recently but Fluttershy knew better, such a calm state could only be achieved by being at peace with the greater of existence. “We’re letting the ignorance and negativity of the Chantalot nobles start to clog our thought, voice and heart chakras.” She then took a deep breath, “We all need to take a moment and clear them before our other chakras get clogged too.”

All the other druids took a few deep breaths, “Sister Tree Hugger is right,” another druid spoke, he was clearly decades older than the others and wore deer antlers, which signified him as the high druid, “We also have to remember we interact with either Princess Celestia or Princess Luna at most once a month, the two have to endure these… cake-eaters on an hourly basis.”

Fluttershy had not approached them properly, but knelt to pick up Angel and hold him at her eye level, “I know you are not going to like this, but it’s not just that they cannot have their companions too.” Angel Bunny looked down sad, he actually wanted to be here. “That is why we are going help them get into the gala,” Fluttershy said throwing Angel off guard. The rabbit took a good long look at his druid’s face, she was adamant in her resolution. Angel smiled, it looked like her sessions were bearing fruit. “Here is the plan…” Fluttershy brought Angel’s left ear to her mouth as she whispered her plan. It was then that Angel realized that Fluttershy was right when she said he was not going to like it, he just hoped he would run into one of the other ‘prey’ type companions to act as a buffer.

Fluttershy then headed to one of the doors out of the hall towards one of the gardens on the castle grounds. She slipped out and after walking for about ten minutes found a group of many different animals, namely among them were an eagle, a jackalope, a deer, a snake, a wolf, a bear, and a few large cats, none of them she saw during her time in the royal reserve. She noted that they were all dressed up each seemed to complement one of the druids inside. Fluttershy cleared her throat slightly, she was trying to remember to speak Druidic “Excuse me, everyone.” she said and all the animals turned to face Fluttershy, they were surprised to see someone dressed like one of the Chantalot nobles speak the cryptic tongue.

My name is Fluttershy and I am here to help you get into the gala and be with your partners. It’s unjust that you are denied being in the gala.” Fluttershy continued. While they still seemed unsure about trusting Fluttershy, one of the animals, a fairly large wolf, big enough for a human to ride separated from the others and looked Fluttershy in the eye. After a short stare down the wolf turned to the other animals and gave a howl of approval. Fluttershy smiled as the other animals began to accept her. “We will have to be discrete and only a few at a time.” Flutter said as she looked at the animals. She didn’t seem to know how to sneak them all in. But then she had an idea. “I’ll be right back. Angel, mind keeping an eye on everyone?” She asked. Angel rolled his eyes but consented reluctantly.

Fluttershy then dashed stealthily back into the gala. She weaved her way until she saw Pinkie almost depressed with a clearly annoyed Limestone was with her. “I am bored,” Pinkie said as a frown formed on her face and her hair slightly deflates.

“Excuse me, Pinkie Pie. I need your help.” Fluttershy said getting the jester’s attention. Pinkie Pie leaped out of her chair in glee. “You can help too if you want,” Fluttershy offered Limestone.

“Leave me be, just bring my sister back.” Limestone said annoyed. The two left but as they left they saw someone walk up to Limestone with two mugs offering one to Limestone.

After a few minutes, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie arrived at the where the animals were located. “I need your help getting these animals into the gala and reunited with their respective druids,” Fluttershy as she sat among the animals and looked at Pinkie Pie with pleading eyes.

“Wait, wait, wait, you want me to smuggle them in! How do you pose I do that?” Pinkie Pie asked as she was taken aback at that what the druid asked her.

“You can pull so many different things from your pockets and from your hair.” Fluttershy pointed out as she pulled a few animals towards her and started to widen her pupils and puff-up her lower lip making it quiver.

“But those are things! As a tricksters mage, I legally must not put animals in my pocket, and in my hair. Also, it’s a generally bad idea to put living things in there, Gummy can only get away with it because he’s been exposed to my magic for so long.” Pinkie Pie pointed out, the alligator in question elected to pop out of Pinkie' hair blink, lick his right eye with his tongue and then slipped back in.

“But cannot you pull a rabbit out of your hat?” Fluttershy asked not letting up on her plea.

Pinkie Pie did not want to say yes, but there was no way in her heart she could say no to Fluttershy. She pulled out of her hair two black tall top hats, she then pulled out a piece of paper. “Read and sign,” Pinkie said with a sigh as she handed the paper to the druid.

Fluttershy accepted the paper and began to read it silently to herself. After she finished, “So this is basically saying I am responsible for anything that might happen to these animals?” Fluttershy asked the jester. Pinkie Pie nodded. Fluttershy cleared her throat, “Everyone, Pinkie Pie is willing to help us get you in by these magically connected hats. She cannot hide you in her pockets or hair, but we will show you are perfectly safe.” the druid said as she turned to Angel. “Please?” she asked her companion. Angel the took one of the hats and jumped through it coming out the other one. After the animals witnessed this they gathered and seemed to debate. After a minute the large wolf decided to copy Angel’s example and emerged from the hat it did not enter and while it showed that it was surprised at what happened, it repeated and showed that it was safe. All the other animals then turned to Fluttershy and nodded in agreement. Fluttershy then signed the paper and handed it back to Pinkie Pie. Pinkie Pie put the document into her hair.

“Take these,” said Pinkie handing Fluttershy a collection of matching fancy hats that brought the number of hats to be equal to the number of animals plus one. “You’ll need to space them out around the room because if they are too close things might get whatever is worse than messy,” the jester said. “Best of luck.” Pinkie Pie then skipped back into the gala, happy to have done something.

Fluttershy then turned back to the animals, “Alright everyone, I am going to back in and pass these hats around your druids and each will summon you,” the druid said to the animals as she and Angel passed the hats around. She then slipped back into the hall and spotted the druids, and they seemed to be calmer but most were still annoyed. “Excuse me,” Fluttershy said getting their attention. “I think I know a way to get your companions in,” Fluttershy then held out the top hat.

The high druid got from his seat and looked at Fluttershy, “How do you know our language?” he asked befuddled that a woman dressed more like the nobles and other guests, in particular, a Skyborn.

“I know her!” the woman that was identified as Tree Hugger exclaimed as she stood up to walk over. “She’s Fluttershy of The Everfree, the bearer of the Element of Kindness, there was a big event celebrating her and her friends sealing of Discord. Cousin Zecora, Shaman of the Everfree will attest to that.”

“You know Zecora?” Fluttershy asked Tree Hugger not sure how many people actually knew about the shaman that lives in the Everfree Forest.

“Yeah, she is totally rad. Never knew how much of our language can rhyme.” Tree Hugger answered calmly. “So now what do we do?” she asked Fluttershy.

“Just reach in and you will be able to bring your companion through,” Fluttershy answered. Tree Hugger then took off her floral crown with the left hand and reached into the hat with it. She then took it out with a snake on her arm.

“Third-Eye,” Tree Hugger said as she raised her hand to her face as she and let her snake flick its tongue ‘smelling’ her nose. “Glad to have you here too.” The snake then slithered up Tree Hugger’s arm and rested on her shoulder its head almost tucked under her chin. “missed you too.”

Slowly another druid accepted a hand and reached into it. As he brought his hand back, it was held by a bear paw. “Um you might want to go into a corner,” Fluttershy suggested, the druid nodded and followed the suggestion, and brought his bear out. One by one the other druids did likewise and brought their companions into the hall, save one.

“If you don’t mind, could you escort me to Mac?” the high druid asked.

“You know Big Mac?” Fluttershy asked utterly baffled that the high druid knew the towering cleric of Magiville.

“Well, while Mac is a fairly large wolf, he prefers to let his presence speak for itself.” the high druid chuckled.

“Oh I thought you were referring to Big Mac, he’s the cleric of Sweet Apple Temple. His full name is Macintosh Apple, but… well…” Fluttershy then pointed the high druid to the cleric she was referring to. At that moment he was sitting down with Marble Pie.

After a second of processing the size of the cleric, “Oh… I see the confusion.” Turning back to face Fluttershy, “So, about my wolf?” he asked. Fluttershy then led the high druid to where she shuck back into the gala. She then led him to where the animals were to see only Angel and the wolf Mac. “Mactiremor!” the high druid said in joy as the two meet. Delighted that with the arrival, the two ran to each other and as they embraced with the wolf licked the face of the high druid. Fluttershy could not help but smile at the reunion. After a minute the high druid turned back to Fluttershy, “Thank you Sister Fluttershy, please forgive me for my doubt.” He said as he offered his hand to Fluttershy.

Fluttershy accepted his hand, “It’s okay, you couldn’t have known, especially with how I am dressed, this not what I wanted to wear this but my friend made this.”

The high druid nodded, “Thank you, this is more than enough, and will be a nice little message to those noble that they can’t always have things their way. This is supposed to be Princess Celestia’s party, after all, it be is for the best they get a few not-so-subtle reminders.” the two then laughed as they heard a man scream such that he made little girls sound brave. “That must be Blueblood,” the high druid commented. After another short laugh at the prince's’ expense, he turned to look in the direction of the Royal Preserve. “I get why she made it, Celestia with the Royal Preserve, but one can not stop the ocean to keep a wave.” Fluttershy was taken aback at that. “Don’t misunderstand me, I don’t like extinction like all other druids but as the high druid I have to oppose artificial ways of keeping any species around, can you fault the mother wolf for orphaning a fawn by killing its mother in order to feed her pups that would otherwise die.” Fluttershy stood there and listened as she not sure how to respond. “As such I, unlike all other druids and our brethren, cannot be part of the Endangered Species Preservation Society, but I can always recommend new members.”

Fluttershy then dove into him and hugged him tightly, “thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you....” the young druid repeated several more times. “I always wanted to join, but for the longest time I haven’t been one for groups. I have recently been working on it but I still have a long way to go.”

The high druid ended the embrace and look at Fluttershy with a soft but firm face, "We druids naturally seek solitude from most of Society, as a whole, our calling is to nature and to the spirits of the wilderness.” he paused. “Meet up with Tree Hugger and the others and show them this.” The high druid said as he handed Fluttershy a wooden coin with the image of a large elk carved into it. Fluttershy accepted the coin and hugged the high druid in gratitude before going back to the gala. The wolf looked at his human companion as if he knew the high druid was hiding something, “I know, Mac, she's the spitting image of Posse the Gentle herself.”

Back inside Fluttershy meet found Tree Hugger, “Excuse me, in Sister Tree Hugger, I was told by the high druid that if I wanted to join the Endangered Species Preservation Society I should show you this.” Fluttershy then held out the wooden coin that was given to her.

After looking at the coin, Tree Hugger smiled, “Always knew the old timer had a soft spot. He comes off as being a rugged, rough-edged person, but it’s more of a show. There’s a rumor that seems to persist that he has something akin to visions or second sight, he doesn’t really deny it and there’s no proof as to the truth about such things, but always seems to know more than he lets on. It can’t all be explained away by his station.” Tree Hugger said as she accepted the coin. “You got something we use to contact if you’re in or not?” the ever calm druid asked. Fluttershy took off her butterfly-shaped hairpin and handed it to Tree Hugger. It had her mailing address on it, which, was in fact, her cabin. “Sweet. So take a seat and feel free to add to the discussion.”

Fluttershy did just that and long into the gala she actually contributed to the discussion, offering up her experience on how druidic magic can be used, some insight into the world from having the ability to fly. Fluttershy never felt so fulfilled thanks to all she had contributed and all she learned in turn. The last thing that was touched upon…

“There has got to a path for the Breezies to travel this fall for their pollen collection. They are an endangered species at the mercy of the very elements and yet they provided a necessary component to Mytisca’s ecosystem at large.” a druid exclaimed clearly annoyed.

“And they are sentient beings too, can you imagine such a loss if they were to die out.” another druid commented. Fluttershy and Tree Hugger gave a shudder, both clearly didn’t like the idea of any creatures or entities dying out.

Fluttershy was hesitant at first but she recalled she made it this far, and thus reasoned she had what it took to go farther, “I might know of a path,” she started. Everyone turned to hear her, “Through Magiville, but I would need to see their usual routes and how they travel to know for certain.”

After a moment of silent thought, another druid spoke up, “We never considered Magiville, so close to the Everfree and all. Alright, Sister Fluttershy you may join us at the start of the summer to plot a route through Magiville, with any luck we will never need to plot another one.” the other druids gave a ‘here-here’ in agreement.

Just then the high druid returned to rejoin the others. Within seconds a waltz was started. “Sister Fluttershy, would you do me the honor of sharing this dance with me?” he asked as he extended his hand.

“Take it, the old timer never asks for a dance,” another druid said and the other druids encouraged her.

Fluttershy was unsure but in the end accepted the offer, “just follow my lead.” was all the advice she was given and it turned out all she needed, for the waltz as a dance was not complicated. As the music played, she could not but enjoy the dance. She was in the crowd, but no one was looking down at her, and those that actually looked for and at her would be happy for her and for those who thought negatively of her, She could not find it in herself to care. She had come such a long way, and all the time she was taking baby steps. All her hard work was paying off, and she could not but feel that this was “...the best night ever.” Fluttershy whispered to herself all but lost in the bliss inspired by the dance.

Author's Note:

Well Fluttershy seems to have be having a great night. :yay:

So who's next?

'That be me' :rainbowdetermined2: 'This is going to be so AWESOME!':rainbowkiss:

Up next: Rainbow Dash