• Published 5th Dec 2016
  • 2,351 Views, 99 Comments

My Little Mages: The Grand Gala - Foxhelm



A moment of calm has come for Twilight et al, and how best to celebrate, then the long awaited Grand Gala. No matter what happens, it will be a night to remember. A 'My Little Mages' retelling of 'The Best Night Ever'.

  • ...
4
 99
 2,351

Before The Gala

It had been a week since Fluttershy's week in the Royal Gardens, she was now waiting at the train station for the arrival of her friends and their guests for the Grand Gala which was tonight. Angel Bunny was at her feet and seemed to happy. He actually was looking forward to seeing Spike, mostly to give the dragon a hug; mainly because he realized how much of jerk he has been to the dragon. “You seem to anxious Angel. You must really miss Spike.” Fluttershy gave a soft laugh but she too missed her friends and could use their support in trying to interact with the people at the gala.

The train’s whistle was heard and the train started to arrive and began its declaration. As it stopped the doors opened as the CMC jumped out “FLUTTERSHY!” the three cheered as they dove at the druid. Fluttershy gave a scream as three collided with her. “We missed you!” The three said as they smiled as halos appeared over their heads.

“Now girls, enough of that, no need to make Fluttershy regret meeting us here.” Rarity said as she exited the train with a portable clothing rack.

Following her were Twilight, Spike and Rainbow Dash. At another car Applejack and Big Mac exited the train with the food stand and everything else to cater the gala. “Hey, where's Pinkie?” Rainbow Dash asked only to be tackled by the jester.

“I missed you, Dashie,” Pinkie said as held Rainbow as tight as she could.

“You’ll break her if you keep squeezing her like that,” came a monotone female voice. Everyone turned to see two young women who both were slightly older than Pinkie Pie. Both of them had flat hair, even more so when contrasted with Pinkie's, one had purple hair went down to her neck, she wore a simple gray dress with pockets that went to her knees, with a brooch that looked like a traditional diamond that was gray in color, a black belt, black arm-gloves, with boots meant for hiking along rough mountain paths and wool socks that went above them. She also appeared to show no emotions, and just looked at everyone blankly. The other young woman was clearly not a happy person, her light gray-white hair was styled to look more akin to a hard rock and roll style bard. She was dressed more akin to a man than the others and it was clear she was in a style from about two hundred years ago. She had a handkerchief in her pocket with a cut lime and two small rocks.

“Okay everyone, these are my super-duper-uper big sisters, Maud and Limestone. Limestone is oldest and is going to take over the farm after our parents pass on.” Pinkie said as she jumped to push the angry sister forward from the relatively monotone one.

“Why did I agree to this?” the aforementioned Limestone asked, she then turned to see Pinkie Pie with the biggest grin Pinkie ever gave on her face. Limestone rolled her eyes, “Yeah yeah.” she said rather dismissively but everyone could tell she loved Pinkie but also knew better than to call her a ‘softie’.

“And this here is Maud, she’s working on her rocktorate and travels of Mystica researching rocks,” Pinkie said as she called everyone’s attention to the young woman with the purple hair.

“Technically I am pursuing a doctorate in science focused on geomancy. I am a geomancer, like the rest of the family,” Maud said rather monotonically. “You must be, Rainbow Dash,” Maud said pointing to the elementalist. “Twilight Sparkle,” she said pointing to Twilight, “Fluttershy,” referring to the druid, “Rarity,” indicating the enchantress, “Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo,” turning her attention to the CMC, “Spike”, this time the dragon. “Applejack,” this time she was directing to the paladin.

“And the extra large meat cake is Big Mac. Maud, we know who Pinkie’s friends…” Limestone started but stopped and looked around. “MARBLE GET OUT OF THE TRAIN CAR!” Limestone shouted and slowly another young woman stepped out timidly. She was dressed in a long simple black dress, with a white long sleeve shirt. She had long hair that while most went back, some of it was styled to bangs that covered the right side of her face. She had a pin with three smooth stones. Timidly she exited the car, in a manner that made Rainbow Dash make a mental comment about this girl and Fluttershy having a ‘shy-off’ competition and laughing internally at herself for what she thought was a clever joke.

“Come on Marble, these are my friends. Come on, it’s okay.” Pinkie Pie said calmly trying to coax the other woman out. “Limestone is just a little sour that you’re not part of the fun.” However, Maud just walked past Limestone and Pinkie and hugged Marble and lead her out taking her by the hand.

“Mhmm.” Marble said as she gave a subdued smile and joined the group.

“Welcome ta the family, Sugarcube,” Applejack said offering her hand. Seeing Marble’s confusion. “Pinkie, Rarity, Rainbow, Fluttershy, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, Spike, and Twilight are honorary members of the Apple family, yahr Pinkie’s sister, as are you two, Maud, Limestone. So yah’re part of the family. Speaking of family, w’ere is Shinin’ and Cadance?”

“They’re still on their honeymoon. I thought they’d be back by now.” Twilight commented as it seemed that she did not notice that a honeymoon would be a long time.

“Well, it is a month long thing.” Rarity pointed out, “Well I think we should all start heading to the castle for the final dawning and set up for everything. So shall we?” Rarity said as she began to enchant the dress rack and started towards the castle.

Everyone started to follow after shrugging their shoulders. In the rear was Big Mac pushing the stand for the catering, with him was Marble. “Mhmm.” the timid geomancer said to the towering cleric, as she started to blush

“Eeyup.” Big Mac replied as he blushed in turn.


A couple hours later in a wing of the castle which was designated for Celestia Spike waited outside for his, Big Mac and Angel Bunny’s chance to change into their clothes for the gala. Spike was clearly impatient, as is usually the case with the very young. He was about to knock, “We’re ready, Darling,” came Rarity’s voice as the doors to the room opened. Spike and Big Mac’s jaws dropped seeing the first six young women. First was Rainbow Dash, her hair was down, over her ears she wore a sort of crown that looked like a set of leaves, her gown was a rainbow, not unlike her hair, around her neck was a golden necklace with a pendant that looked like a cluster of grapes. Her shoes were golden in color and had ankle straps. Overall, she looked like she was part of Pre-Hearth's Warming Skyborn nobility. As she looked herself over after seeing Big Mac’s face, “I am totally twenty percent cooler!” the elementalist exclaimed.

Next was Applejack, the paladin wore a custom styled stetson on her head, her hair flowed down her back in a triple-braid. She wore green stylized riding gloves, with green stylized riding boots, her gown was green with a brown leather corset-vest that covered most of her chest, and like Rainbow Dash, her arms were for the most part exposed. “Yah out dawn yahrself, Sugarcube, because THIS is a dress for a workin’-gal,” Applejack said as she angled her stylized stetson for the gala, showing the apples embroidered on it.

Pinkie Pie then skipped ahead of the group, Pinkie Pie was bouncing up and down, “THIS IS THE MOST FUN DRESS EVER!” the jester exclaimed. She had a small hat that had a light blue trim with a small pink bow on it. On her hands were small pink gloves, her gown, itself, was set up with two shades of pink, white and blue, around her waist the dress was striped blue and white like a candy cane. In the white area of the skirt of the dress, there were candy corns and lollipops embroidered on it.

Rarity was dressed in a long light purple regal gown with small gems studded into it with golden trims in various folds in the lower part of the gown, she also had a more stylized version of her usual tiara, she still had her purple shawl. Before she could respond, to Pinkie Pie, Applejack or Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy spoke up. The druid’s gown was green along the side from her waist down, but the main gown was a light yellow, the gown was embroiled vines and small leaves, her dress also had a stylized blue butterfly on her chest and one as a hairpin. “Rarity, the details, how everything matches, the yellow and green and the blue butterfly. Thank you so much!” Fluttershy exclaimed as she joined Pinkie Pie in the embrace.

Rarity was able to break the embrace, “You are so very much welcome, darlings. So, Twilight, what about you?” the enchantress asked as she called attention to Twilight.

The arcane mage’s gown went down to her ankle, it was blue with some purple in the gown not unlike Fluttershy’s gown, she also had light blue gloves more dress like then what Applejack. The top of her dress went around up and around her shoulders making a frill like back, in the front of her dress, there was a star located in a similar place as the blue butterfly on Fluttershy’s. Her hair was done up in a bun with a star as a hairpin.“I couldn’t imagine a more lovely dress. You are… Thank you!” Twilight exclaimed in gratitude as she started a group hug around Rarity.

Applejack was the first to separate, “Okay everyone let's get down to business, and remember it's a just a dance, not a life...changing...event…,” Applejack started but then trailed as their sisters came out. Apple Bloom and the rest of the CMC, looking absolutely adorable in the minds of their sister figures. Apple Bloom was in a dress that was the same style as Applejack’s with a color palette being an inversion to that of the paladin’s with an apple embroidered and stylized, almost ceremonial looking, forge apron that seemed to be devoid of its tools instead of a matching hat, “Mah little sister’s all grown up!” the paladin exclaimed as tears started to form in the corners of her eyes. She took a breath and wiped her eyes as Apple Bloom smiled at her older sister.

Sweetie Belle’s dress was done in the same style as Rarity’s with the color being a charming light charcoal to compliment her hair and the snowy white trim, instead of Rarity’s. “Oh, Sweetie Belle… you are so…” Rarity, teared up not unlike Applejack but she was about to cry more openly.

Scootaloo was the next of the group, by contrast, her formal dress was nothing like that worn by Rainbow Dash, instead, her outfit was more akin to a ceremonial gi worn by Arcane Monks for formal occasions. Rainbow Dash smiled and gave Scootaloo a thumbs up.

The next batch was the Pie sisters, by comparison, looked like they were wearing business casual dresses, especially when they were in close proximity to the more ornate looking outfits. Limestone’s dress was the same color as her hair, as was Maud’s, while Marble’s was a marble pink color, and looked like someone had tried to imitate the marble pattern but had done it far too light and decided to not put any real effort into it. Naturally, Marble’s dress and those of her sisters that weren’t Pinkie, caused Rarity to twitch a bit, and internally bemoan herself for not having the materials or time to turn the outfits into proper formal attire.

Spike, Big Mac, and Angel then walked into the changing room. Spike was the first to step out in his a suit, he had a top hat, white gloves, a cane, his suit was very much like the one that he wore as the ring bearer for the rehearsal of Shining Armor’s and Cadance’s wedding, but while during the rehearsal he wore a red bow tie, this time his bow tie was black, “Well hello ladies.” Spike said as he tipped his hat and winked as he sidestepped as Angel hopped out. He was similar to Spike but he also had a gentleman’s cap with its collar up, wore no top hat nor cane, but he had a chain that went into a pocket in his waistcoat, something Spike lacked, most likely for a pocket watch. He hopped over to Fluttershy’s feet and was pet by the druid.

Finally, Big Mac stepped into view, his suit was very similar to Spike’s and Angel’s in style with a bow tie and waistcoat, granted he had no hat or cane, but the suit was similar to Applejack’s in color, he also had stylized riding boots, but was clearly made more for men than women, “One of my hardest products, mainly because of… well, Macintosh, you are… well, rather hefty.” Rarity said as she looked the towering cleric over as if she was somehow bedazzled, most of the other young women could not help but blush as they stared at Big Mac. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle’s checks also went red.

“Ah hem” Spike coughed getting everyone to look away from Big Mac so that they can move on and go to the gala they were all dressed for, “Alright what are the plans for tonight?” Spike asked.

“Big Mac, Apple Bloom and Ah will be manning our stand,” Applejack answered, however, she noticed a shared glance between her brother and Pinkie’s twin. “But we will be takin’ turns, so we each have plenty of time to enjoy ourselves,” Apple Bloom’s grin gave Pinkie’s normal smile a run for its money. Big Mac gave a small smile as he glanced Marble.

“When I got here last week, Princess Celestia told me that some of the most respected druids will be here, I am hoping to maybe get to meet them. I know they will pretty much be Earthborns, but, it’s worth a shot.” Fluttershy answered, “Maybe Angel will be able to make friends with their companions.” Fluttershy then smiled at her rabbit. Angel rolled his eyes but consented, mostly because the last druidic companion he had met had tried to eat him and thus chased him for the better part of an hour.

“Well, my three sisters and I will try to mingle and show these people how to party!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed. However, she then noticed a slight frown on Marble’s face. “But I won’t be using up all my sisters’ times.” This brought a small smile on Marble’s face.

“Wonderbolts here I come!” Rainbow Dash shouted, seeing a dejected look on Scootaloo’s face start to creep, “But not without you, Scoots. Maybe one or two had a hard time flying like you at your age.” Scootaloo’s demeanor started to change rapidly as she gave an open mouth smile.

Rarity looked to Sweetie Belle, “Sweetie, I am going to try to meet Prince Blueblood. This is most likely my only chance. I know it’s your birthday…” Rarity started as she kneeled to look Sweetie Belle in the eye.

Sweetie Belle smiled in response, as she hugged Rarity, “I am here at a royal gala, something no one in class can say, besides Apple Bloom and Scootaloo.” Sweetie Belle said and hugged her sister, also thinking about she would ‘casually’ drop the info into Diamond Tiara’s lap the next time she was bragged at. “Now get your prince charming,” she whispered into Rarity’s ear. The two then looked into each other’s eyes and smiled at each other and then rubbed their cheeks together affectionately.

Spike wanted to hiss at the name Blueblood, but re-framed himself, “Um Sweetie Belle, since Rarity is going to be busy…” Spike started and the was hugged tightly by Sweetie Belle.

“THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!” Sweetie Belle yelled in excited squeaks.

Twilight gave a soft chuckle at what she saw, then everyone turned to her to know what she planned. “Well I am going to spend time with Princess Celestia,” Twilight answered. “I want to actually discuss with her about my studies.” Everyone…even Big Mac, Maud, Limestone, and Marble, groaned in response, Angel couldn’t, given his vocal cords, so he rolled his eyes. “What? I am still her apprentice.” Everyone just rolled their eyes in response. Twilight gave a sigh of frustration. Twilight then changed her tactic, “Well everyone, let’s do this!” Twilight declared. “And have…”

And everyone cheered together, “THE BEST NIGHT EVER!” Everyone froze as they turned to see that Big Mac was part of the cheer. With Pinkie being more surprised that Maud, Limestone, Marble were also part of the cheer. Maud and Limestone both sounded happy and Marble actually spoke beyond a ‘Mhmm’. Pinkie squealed in delight, then pulled home video camera out of her hair to see if she could get another Marble first to show their parents.

As everyone started to head out, Twilight stopped and remembered that Pinkie received four guest tickets but only had three guests with her. Against what she considered her better judgment, “Um Pinkie Pie, you had four guest tickets, who’s your fourth guest?” she asked the jester.

“Well it was going to be my mother, but she wanted a night with my father without the children home.” Pinkie Pie answered with a wink. “But I already took care of it, don’t worry about it should be a nice surprise.” Pinkie giggled as she skipped ahead leaving Twilight in the rear utterly befuddled.

“Huh…” the arcane mage commented all alone.

After a short while, as she remained there, “Twilight come on, we’re going to be late.” Spike almost scolded as he ran back to get her.

“Sorry, Spike,” Twilight said and the two started towards the hall in the castle set up for the gala.

Author's Note:

Well the night has started, unlike in the actually episode I am not going to go back and forth between several different stories, I am not clever enough of a writer, so we will be going through the night each of the major characters at a time.

So who's on first?

'That be mah, Sugarcube.":ajsmug: