• Published 5th Dec 2016
  • 2,374 Views, 99 Comments

My Little Mages: The Grand Gala - Foxhelm



A moment of calm has come for Twilight et al, and how best to celebrate, then the long awaited Grand Gala. No matter what happens, it will be a night to remember. A 'My Little Mages' retelling of 'The Best Night Ever'.

  • ...
4
 99
 2,374

Rarity's Night

Rarity and Sweetie Belle were the second last pair of the group to arrive for the gala. “How did we all get separated?” Rarity asked more to herself than anyone noting that their group had fragmented after leaving the changing room

“Well, The Apples had to get there as soon as possible, you know to have the stand ready to cater. As for Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo are all light on their feet being Skyborns and Angel really wants to be here. As for Pinkie and her sisters, well…” Sweetie Belle stopped unsure how to articulate the next point.

“Pinkie is Pinkie, that’s all we need to say on the matter, Sweetie.” Rarity said as got into the hall for the gala.

“Announcing the arrival of Rarity Crumbles-Flanks and her guest Sweetie Belle Crumbles-Flanks.” Both gave nervous smiles, very few things were more embarrassing at these sorts of events than practically the whole room learning your embarrassing or awkward sounding family name.

As he was about to blow his trumpet, Rarity placed her hand on it and while blew it no sound came, “That won't be necessary Darling. You have done quite enough (damage) already.” Rarity commented as the sisters pressed on.

“This line is really long and looks like it's getting longer. Do you think Twilight will be able to get in?” Sweetie Belle asked as the walked towards the stairs to the actual hall.

“I hope so. It’s not just that you would have to wait for Spike all alone for them or be bored out of your mind as I try to… well, court Blueblood.”

“I would ask you stay with me, but your window of opportunity is shutting faster than a greased rabbit running on a lard skillet.” Rarity looked at Sweetie Belle utterly baffled at what her sister just said. “Our clubhouse is on the grounds of Sweet Apple Temple and I spend more time with Apple Bloom then you do with Applejack. Also, Dad loves euphemism.” Rarity elected to not press the issue as they pressed on and climbed the steps to greet the princesses before going into the actual hall for the gala.

At the top of the stairs, they two gave a curtsey to the Princesses. “We are glad to have you both here,” Luna said as the princesses nodded to Sweetie Belle and Rarity, gesturing to the two Magicborn to rise. All the while the herald announced arrival after arrival of the guests to the gala, but this was mostly ignored by Rarity and Sweetie Belle.

Celestia, however, seemed in thought for a moment, “Crumbles-Flanks… Crumbles-Flanks…” she muttered. “Are you two by chance relations of the rugby player, Hondo Magnum Flanks?” Celestia asked.

“You know our father, your grace?” Rarity asked confused that her father was known outside of Magiville.

“He’s the best rugby players in recent Mystican history. So if Hondo is your father and your family name is Crumbles-Flanks then that must mean…”

“Your majesty, please, I implore you. It’s not that I don’t love my parents, but I would prefer if you not divulge the entirety of my… pedigree in such a public setting,” Rarity asked cutting the elder of the diarchs off. “With all due respect.”

Celestia chuckled to herself, “Fair enough.” Celestia took a breath and speaking only so that Rarity could hear. “We hope you both enjoy your night, but before you go, Blueblood is not what you expect as a prince.”

“Thank you for your concern, your grace,” Rarity replied, she then turned to Sweetie Belle and then backed to the princesses, “Your graces, could Sweetie Belle stay with you both while I head in until…” Rarity started to ask the diarchs.

Before anyone can respond, “Announcing the arrival of Royal Astrophysics Night Light and his wife Twilight Velvet.” the herald said and blew his trumpet. “Announcing the arrival of Her Majesty Princess Celestia's Apprentice Twilight Sparkle and her familiar Spike the dragon!” The herald then blew the trumpet again.

Sweetie Belle hugged her sister, “Best of luck with Blueblood,” Sweetie squeaked happily and she ran down the stairs to greet Spike.

Rarity turned to the princesses, “Never mind, your majesties.” Rarity then gave another curtsey and headed into the ballroom proper.

After arriving in the hall, Rarity gave no signs of being affected by the sheer number of people. Granted having spent a week with a fair number of the nobles before Twilight’s birthday had given her significant clout. Within minutes she was greeted by a familiar couple, “Rarity.” she heard. “Well, it should be expected.” Rarity turned to see Fancypants and his wife, Fleur.

“Baron Fancypants,” Rarity said with a small bow. “It is great to see you and you as well, Fleur.” Rarity said turning to the slender baroness. As she noticed the wooden mugs the two held, “I see you have tried the Apple family cider, I am assuming the non-alcoholic variant.”

“I must admit I was taken aback after trying it,” Fleur confessed. “So what, pray tell are your plans for tonight?” Fleur asked.

Rarity took a breath, “I am looking for Prince Blueblood, I am given to understand that he would be attending this event.”

Fleur gave an exasperated sigh, Fancypants chuckled at his wife’s discomfort, “Please forgive my wife. She and my distant cousin are not on the best of terms with each other.” He said rather diplomatically. “I can introduce you to him if you wish.”

“Why thank you, Baron,” Rarity said in gratitude as she gave him a well-graced handshake.

“If you are going to be spending time with Blueblood, Roy,” said Fleur, “I will abstain from the activity. So, if you would, please do two things for me.”

“Of course, dear,” said Fancypants, “what would those be?”

“Kindly remind him of the...arrangement we made at our last meeting, you know how scatter-shot his memory is,” Fleur answered, Fancypants gave a diplomatic chuckle, “and could you also give this young lady some advice regarding him.” Fancypants nodded, more so to humor his wife.

“Yes dear,” Fancypants commented, he then turned his attention back to Rarity, he offered his right arm, “May I escort you?”

“Certainly, provided your wife has no problem with it.” Rarity said reminding Fancypants about his wife.

Fancypants turned to address Fleur, “The less time I spend with Blueblood, the happier I will be.” the elegant Baroness said as she headed back to the Apple family’s stand, most likely to get another cider.

Fancypants chuckled as he escorted Rarity to one of the doors and out into one of the many gardens in the palace grounds, in particular, the rose garden. “As Fleur said there are some things you need to know about Blueblood, he tends to focus on himself. So depending on what you are trying to achieve, you should either be more like a ‘yes-man’ or threaten to make a scene.”

Rarity elected to silently agree to what she was told. As they neared on they rose bushes, Fancypants pointed out a man. The man in question was slightly taller than most men, he had long blonde hair, blue eyes, dressed in a white nobleman’s high social event suit, with black cuffs, a black collar with a blue bow-tie, he seemed to give off an aura of being of the Chantalot upper-crust. “Good Evening Blueblood,” Fancypants said getting the younger man’s attention.

“Why yes it is, almost as good as my tailor’s work,” Blueblood commented calling attention albeit indirectly to himself. “What brings you by, Roy, another remark from your wife she cannot deliver.” He asked rather dismissively.

“Actually no, I am actually here to introduce someone to you. Remember your cousin Cadance’s wedding?” Fancypants asked but he already knew the answer.

Blueblood thought on the question a moment or at least made a show of thinking. “I’m sorry to say I was not in attendance,” said Blueblood after his show of thinking. “I either misplaced my invitation or it got lost in the mail.”

Fancypants gave a knowing smile, the truth was Cadance and Shining Armor and specifically requested Blueblood be omitted from the guest list, both having a very low opinion of the man. Fancypants quickly turned his attention to Rarity and whispered, “Remember what we talked about, madam. And try not to let the event or titles cloud your judgment, after all, Princess Celestia is known for bequeathing titles she deems appropriate to those she has deemed worthy, while others have had their titles inherited separately from the delegations of the throne.” He then turned back to Blueblood, “Well this young lady was commissioned to make the bridal gown and the dresses for the bridesmaids. By Princess Celestia herself.”

Blueblood turned his attention to Rarity, taking on a rather charming tone, “Well, hello. I am Prince Blueblood,” he said as he took Rarity’s left hand and kissed the back of it.

Rarity blushed modestly, “I am... Rarity.” the enchantress said as she gave subdued but still starry-eyed gaze to the nephew of the diarchs.

Fancypants then let go of Rarity, “Well, I best be going. Take care, Miss Rarity.” he said as he left the two.

Seeing a particular marvelous rose, “Oh my, what a lovely rose,” Rarity commented in an attempt to start a conversation.

Blueblood turned his attention back to the rose bush, “You mean…” he started and then pluck the rose from the bush and held it out as if he was going to offer it to Rarity, “this rose?” he asked. Rarity nodded expecting it to be offered to her, but Blueblood placed the rose into his left shirt pocket. “Thank you. It goes with my eyes.” Rarity internally moaned at that action. “Let’s go inside.”

As they arrived at the door Blueblood stepped to the side, Rarity walked up but was baffled that he was not opening the door for her. Instead, it was as if he was waiting for her to open the door for him. ‘Seriously!’ Rarity internally exclaimed. However, she strove not to show it. Instead, she opened the door, ‘Well, to be fair, as Mother once said ‘if ya want yahr man to always open the door for yah, you got to open it for him every so often, doncha know.’ Rarity internally face-palmed herself, ‘Great, I am sounding just like Mother.’ Rarity thought as Blueblood entered and then followed him. Still in thought. ‘Just give him a chance, Rarity. His princely side is sure to come out if you're just patient.’ She reasoned with herself. As she walked she was suddenly stopped.

“Miss Rarity! Stop!” Prince Blueblood said as he stopped Rarity as he called attention to a puddle.

Welcomingly surprised at the action of Blueblood, “Oh. Prince Blueblood! How chivalrous.” she commented as she seemed to be lost in the moment, as if what she wished to see from the prince.

“One would hate to slip,” Blueblood commented as he looked at Rarity. Rarity’s heart could not stop racing as the prince seemed to care about her safety.

“Yes. One certainly would,” Rarity said still lost in the moment, it was as if all her patience and her planning were about to pay off.

“One's cloak should take care of the problem,” Blueblood said as he took Rarity’s shawl gently, while also surprisingly tastefully, lowered it over the offending substance and covered the puddle and walked over it. This left Rarity rather annoyed as her expectations were once again subverted.

“Oh, of course, it will,” she said dryly as she walked over her shawl. After which she levitated it and summoned a force-field of sorts around it as she gave a sigh of frustration over what has happened.

After the loss of her shawl, a product that had taken quite a bit of her finer material to make was practically ruined, she was sure that even the most intense cleaning possible would not remove the ‘damage’ that had been done to the poor accessory. As they continued on Blueblood said, “There is a group known as the Remembrance Theatre Group,” Rarity gave a genuine smile remembering how the troupe had first introduced her to more upscale type plays while not making much of a dent in the accounts of herself or her parents, “they asked for a few donations a while back,” Rarity hoped she knew where this conversation was going, “so I thought why not, I remembered a few good plays in my youth so it would only be fair to provide a small handful of silver coins to a charity that is all about helping us to remember those days.”

Rarity was quietly seething, the RTG was an organization dedicated to providing quality plays to communities that either didn’t have the facilities, means or population to put on any sort of big production. It was a young Rarity’s introduction to the glamours of high society, and how she had managed to become acquainted with some of her friends in the first place. They got their name from the fact they wanted all the tribes to remember their connection to each other, in fact, her first ever show seen by them was the tale of Hearth’s Warming Eve, which she later learned was a play they had done since the time of group’s inception. Magiville had grown a bit since their early days, but as a sort of tradition, the group stopped by in their small town at least once a year and perform a show or two before moving on. Rarity suspected with Twilight’s choosing to settle down in Magiville, for the time being at least, that it might be the signal of a population boom for the town, especially when you considered Twilight’s pedigree and education, which the arcane mage didn’t really try to play up as long as the situation didn’t warrant it, which was most of the time.

“Then of course,” continued Blueblood, completely oblivious to what was going on with the elegant lady next to him, “There is the castle renovation project, with Princess Luna having such a long leave of absence we must do our best to make the palace feel comforting for her again.” Once again Rarity caught his well-worded burst of hot air, “I’ve dedicated a few thousand gold pieces to the cause, I assure you,” Rarity knew that his paltry ‘donation’ was barely enough to pay for more than a handful of supplies or workers in regards to a project of this magnitude, on top of that if he had actually paid attention to the history of Mystica's rulers, he would have known that Luna had never lived in Chantalot, to begin with, she would have assisted Celestia with the designs for the city and its castle, but Luna herself had only been in Chantalot since around what many would estimate as that very year’s Summer Sun celebration, the celebration originally being a time Celestia had set aside for the populace to celebrate the ‘defeat’ of Nightmare Moon. She was starting doubt her decision on who she was trying to court.

“Have you tried the food?” a nobleman asked Blueblood and Rarity. Both shook their heads no.

“Oh, you must have some of it,” A noblewoman added, “It is absolutely divine!”

“Well, when it’s made by the clergy, we should expect nothing less.” another in the group said.

“Alright, shall we?” Blueblood asked as he headed for the food stand. It took them a while to get there.

Once they located the stand, Rarity and Blueblood stepped up to the Apple family stand. “Howdy, Rarity, what can Ah get for yah?” Applejack asked.

Before Rarity could answer, “What is this? Common carnival fare! Blah!” Blueblood said in disgust at what was offered and stormed off.

Before Rarity could comment about it, “Et’s alright, Sugarcube, it’s not like Apple Bloom, Big Mac, Granny and Ah spent hours and days pouring our blood, sweat, and tears into each of these.” Applejack said with her eyes closed as she clenched her fist, also giving an agitated twitch of her right eye. Again before Rarity said anything, “Just go.” Applejack said as she opened her eyes, her pupils narrow. Rarity then left to follow Blueblood.

She was almost done with Blueblood, but there was still some small hope that this was all a façade, a ruse. That deep down Blueblood was a nice person, but given that so many young women and girls have sought the hand of a many in his social standing, Rarity knew she was not the first to ever attempt to court the nephew of Princess Celestia, then become a princess by marrying him, he most likely elected to step up all this to weed out those that just want the title from the true gems, the mass from the Rarity (pun intended).

When she caught up to her target, “Oh Miss Rarity, I thought I lost you.” Blueblood said as he greeted her having rejoined the group they departed from.

“I am so touched by your concern.” Rarity said, her voice supersaturated with sarcasm, which seemed to be utterly lost on the prince as he continued to chat with and boast to the others around him, to which they seemed to be eating it all up.

“Runaway cake!” Rarity heard, she and everyone turned to see a fairly large cake come flying towards her and Prince Blueblood.

As the large cake was about to collide with the two, they screamed as it was about to make contact. But at the last minute, Blueblood pulled Rarity, the enchantress was expecting him to cover her with his own body. However, Rarity was used as the shield. As everyone nearby stood there with their mouths covered in shock, Rarity started to grunt and fume, barely containing her anger as she turned to Blueblood. As she stepped forward Blueblood stepped back keeping an equal distance between the two as they walked. Rarity had it if this was the price for one night, there was no purpose in pursuing any sort of relationship with this… this... Rarity was a lady and such uncouth word choice that applied to Blueblood was unbecoming for her to utter, no matter how fitting they were to Blueblood. But while Rarity might have internally calmed, externally she was not letting Blueblood off without chewing him out first. She growled with righteous fury, “You, sir, are the most uncharming prince I have ever met! In fact, the only thing royal about you is the pain you put on others!”

Blueblood looked around nervously, trying to not have the remnant of the cake come into contact with one of his best suits, “Ewww...!... Uh, stay back! I just had my suit dry-cleaned!” he pleaded almost pitifully.

Rarity refused to let up, “What, are you afraid to get a little dirty?! You seem to be acquainted with it in how you ‘play’, sir!” the enchantress shouted and her words started to devolve into unintelligible babbles as her anger was boiling over and her pupils turned into blue flames. As she witnessed Blueblood trip over backward landing on his rear and whimper as he tried to back crawl on the floor, Rarity took a breath and was able to re-articulate her thoughts. “I can not believe you,” Rarity practically roared at Blueblood, “using a lady as shield to protect yourself from a confection would have been almost forgivable if it hadn’t your egocentric rants with bouts of narcissism, and to make matters worse you turned the entire time a lovely, young lady showing genuine interest in you into a platform for bragging about things you either know next to nothing about or had a hand in while proclaiming to have a vested interest in. How you manage to maintain your station is a mystery that I’m sure even the princesses are trying to investigate, not you, the fact you still have a noble title and holdings. And above all else, you ruined an outfit that had a lot of time, energy and money invested in it,” with that she stormed off, pieces of the confection that hit her falling to the floor in randomly sized chunks as she went.

Her little outburst had also drawn the kind of attention even someone of Blueblood’s ego didn’t like to attract, he figured it would be some unflattering gossip for the next week or so, as such he didn’t really think much of it, of course, that was because he didn’t bother to learn about all new security measure that would result in Princess Celestia, Princess Luna and their staffs being able to witness his complete lack of moral character.

Rarity sat down at one of the tables, this night had been a disaster. Her prince was anything but charming, she had been humiliated and objectified, the list could go on but Rarity did not want to dwell on it. She was so caught up in how bad things were that it was not until she felt a cloth on her left cheek that she realized she was not alone or how long she was there alone. She turned and there sitting next to her was what Rarity could only describe as Spike in ten or so years, just old enough for them to have a relationship. “Hey Rarity,” the bipedal dragon said, he sounded much like how Rarity imagined Spike would sound as he matured into adulthood.

“Spike?” Rarity asked in utter disbelief at seeing Spike in his current state. “How?”

Spike pulled from under the collar of his suit a necklace with a gem Rarity never saw before, “Sweetie Belle sang some sort of song that resonated with this gem that Maud and Limestone had, which Apple Bloom made into this necklace. It’s only temporary, until dawn.” He gave a little chuckle, almost as if he were laughing at some sort of joke.

“Now, even you’re mocking me,” said Rarity indignantly, making ready to find a different location to mope.

“Oh, no,” said Spike, “just laughing at the shallowness of the event and in my honest opinion, you still are the prettiest one here, even if you are covered in cake. Of course, in my opinion, you would still be the prettiest one here if you were wearing a potato sack and covered in dirt.” Spike commented giving his sincere opinion.

“Let’s not get excited over theoreticals or shamelessness,” said Rarity, “but thanks for the vote of confidence, Spike.” Rarity was still depressed.

“Hey, how many women can say they civilized a beast like a dragon?” Spike asked, Rarity was no longer depressed, but utterly confused, and it was clearly indicated by her raised eyebrows. “Rarity, you are a great woman, and maybe your charming prince was not born a prince or charming,” Spike said as he finished removing all he could from Rarity’s dress. Spike then wrote on the cloth, “To Blueblood’s face.” Spike exhaled green fire on the cloth and it flew away like one of the letters to Princess Celestia.

After a second Spike held up three claws and after mouthing ‘three, two, one,’ as he lowered each claw and a second after he mouthed ‘one' the two heard Blueblood give a shout of disgust accompanied by a few laughs at his expense. This gave Rarity a rather heartfelt chuckle. She looked to Spike, “Thank you.”

“This wasn’t my idea, it was Sweetie Belle’s,” Spike informed with a nervous chuckle. Just then the musicians started to play a waltz. Spike rose and offered his hand, “I am actually a pretty good dancer.”

Rarity accepted the offer and within seconds she was on the floor in a waltz, Spike taking the lead and soon he more or whisked her off her feet as they started. “Remind me to thank Sweetie Belle in the morning,” Rarity whispered to Spike as she closed the distance between the two. Before he could ask, “For the best night ever,” she answered and kissed the dragon on his lips.

“Couldn't agree more,” Spike replied as the two continued to dance the night away.

Author's Note:

Well there have a fair amount of down, but it seems that Rarity had a little (Sweet) fairy looking out for her.

:raritywink:

Let's see, we have had :ajsmug::yay::rainbowkiss::pinkiesmile: and now :raritywink:, so who is next?

'What about, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, Big Mac, Spike, the Pie Sisters and me?':unsuresweetie:

Alright, Up next The Siblings' Night

:scootangel:

Wait ... I was just played like a fiddle by the CMC wasn't I?

:eeyup:

:facehoof: