• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 4,681 Views, 2,081 Comments

Appledashery Vol. Two - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash and Applejack have a long, joyous, arduous relationship.

  • ...
26
 2,081
 4,681

PreviousChapters Next
An Apple a Day

Daytime.

Applejack slammed her hooves into the base of a tree.

Fruit fell, filling a basket.

She didn't bother wiping the sweat from her eyes. She had gone through these motions so often and for so long, that she could practically do it blind.

She placed the filled basket into a wagon, pulled loose an empty one, then brought it to the line of orchards. Her hooves flew against gnarled bark, and she heatedly repeated the entire process.

And it wasn't until the morning rippled into a humid afternoon that she realized...

...she was the only Apple working the farm.

Curious, the mare looked towards the opposite end of the landscape... towards the barn.

There was a plow. There was a wagon. There was a toolbox, a set of livestock feed, and several unfinished chicken coops.

But there was no Big Macintosh.

Applejack said nothing. Felt nothing.

She returned to the line of trees and resumed her bucking.


Sunset.

Applejack sat at the end of the dinner table, picking at her food.

Apple Bloom kept chattering and prattling away.

Granny Smith laughed.

Big Macintosh laughed louder.

Applejack's calm green eyes darted up.

Apple Bloom was on a roll—or at least she felt as much. Every little tale she had to share about school that day brought a series of hearty chuckles and chortles from Big Mac's lungs. The stallion was smiling more than usual. His eyes were bright; his ears lively, perky. He even said more than two words—which made Granny Smith laugh and ramble on about one nostalgic anecdote after another.

Occasionally, a word or a glance would be thrown Applejack's way. Applejack smiled on cue... but the grin didn't last long. As the table's conversation gradually shifted away from her, the mare's freckles dipped into shadow... anchored by a contemplative deadpan. She continued staring at Big Mac... at the smile plastered suddenly on his face... at the thick mystery of it all.


Night.

The drifting clouds had a silver sheen to them. It shook Applejack to the core.

She closed the last of several windows... then reopened it with a crack for ventilation. With her evening chores done, she wandered into the living room. There, she found Granny Smith sitting in her rocking chair, reading a book.

"Well, whatcha got there, Granny?" Applejack's voice startled even herself. It was then that she realized it was her first time speaking in nearly two hours. Nevertheless, she approached her grandmother with a smile and said, "Dun wanna get lost too deep in them words! They're liable to fuss with yer dreamin'!"

"Ohhhhhhh mule muffins!" Granny Smith waved a wrinkly hoof. "I'm not even tired! And besides... a bit of wranglin' the ol' noodle could do me a lot of good these days."

"Heh... bet Big Macintosh can relate... at least partially." Applejack nudged Granny Smith's shoulder. "Hah! Hyeh-hyeh... ya get it? Because... because he..."

"I dun get it."

"Yeah. Me neither." Applejack hung her head. "Say... uh... Granny? I know it's late and ya dun need to be bothered with anythang silly... but I've been wrestlin' with somethin' might fierce all day." She swallowed a heavy lump down her throat. "Say there was this pony... this kind and polite stranger of a pony who somehow thought the world of you... but you plum avoided her like a jackass just 'cuz." She grimaced, then looked up with folded ears. "You reckon it would be a good and proper thang to head into town and tell her yer sorry before ya might miss her—?"

"Shhhnnorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..." Granny Smith was fast asleep.

Applejack blinked. She sighed to herself... then put on a loving smile. Not long after, she draped a quilt over Granny's figure, tucked it around the rocking chair, and blew out half the candles before trotting upstairs.


Applejack walked slowly... slowly through the halls.

Her eyes fell to the floor. Her ears pivoted in time to catch each groan and creak of the floorboards.

At some point, she passed Apple Bloom's room...

...and noticed it was cracked open.

"... ... ...?"

With a twinge of sisterly concern, Applejack pivoted about and peaked into the room.

She saw a tiny figure lying in bed... stretched across the mattress... uncovered and shivering.

Biting her lip, Applejack quietly trotted in. With a hushed breath, she reached for the blanket draped partially across the floor... and tucked it over and around Apple Bloom.

A tiny murmur escaped the filly's lips. Half-asleep, Apple Bloom wrapped herself even tighter in the warm sheets.

Applejack smiled. She leaned in and kissed Apple Bloom's neck... then kissed her on the top of her head.

She lingered there, staring into shadows and starlight... the residue of something else... and yet everything she had ever known.

"I love you, Apple Bloom," Applejack murmured dearly. Honestly. "I really... truly love you." Her eyes crossed pictures on the wall, framing the dead. "I just..." She nuzzled the filly once again. "I just want you to know that—"

"Mrmmmmfff..." Apple Bloom turned over, fussing. "Apppppfffllljjkkk... stpppppppp..." And she buried her face into her pillow.

Applejack merely gazed at her. She gave the filly a final nuzzle, patted her head...

...then slowly made an exit. She closed the door softly behind her.

PreviousChapters Next