• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 4,681 Views, 2,081 Comments

Appledashery Vol. Two - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash and Applejack have a long, joyous, arduous relationship.

  • ...
26
 2,081
 4,681

PreviousChapters Next
Speedy Delivery

“Pfft, yeah, as if—” Rainbow Dash’s eyes fell to her apron, then back at the mare who had complimented her. She squinted with evident confusion. "You really think so?”

Applejack bit her lip. She couldn't afford to tap-dance around this any longer. She simply didn't have the mental, mechanical devices.

To her relief, a big stumbling oaf trotted into the house. “AJ?” Big Mac found her and frowned. “I know the Radish Family have made an awful bunch of mistakes in the past, but they could use our help as much as we could use theirs. Besides, wouldn’t it be neighborly to—” He saw Rainbow Dash and instantly shut up, body locked in place.

Rainbow Dash—thankfully—possessed more charm than the rest of the household combined. "Uhhhh… hey there, Mac Attack!" she said with a cute wave.

"... ... ...” was the stallion's response.

Applejack briefly face-hoofed before muttering obligatorily: “Big Macintosh, we have company.”

The stallion nodded. "Eeyup.”

“Didja... know that Rainbow was workin’ the town’s delivery routes?”

He nodded again. "Eenope.”

Silence.

Applejack rolled her eyes and jabbed her older brother in the side. "Take five, Big Mac. Why don’tcha go see if Fluttershy finished with the medicine for the hogs?”

“Ahem…” Big Macintosh slowly, slowly trotted out of the place. “Eeeyup.”

Once he was gone, Rainbow Dash hovered closer to Applejack. “He… uh… he’s a regular Gettysbuck Addresser.”

“Depends on who he’s addressin’.” It was refreshing to tell the truth without second-guessing it. Applejack tilted her hat towards a normal position and managed the first legitimate smile since she saw Rainbow Dash. “So, Miss Speedy Delivery...”

“Hardy har har…”

Applejack couldn't look at her straight. The flutter inside her hat was being matched by something far closer to her tummy.

She was only drunk. She was only drunk.

She was only—

"Reckon I need to sign for something," Applejack said.

"Yeah," Rainbow Dash nodded, fumbling to produce her company clipboard. "Then I’ll be out of your hair.”

"Pffft!" Applejack winced hard, ducking as if the thing in her hat might decapitate her like a feathery guillotine. She recovered with a cheeky grin. "You... s-say that as if yer a nuisance or somethin', Rainbow!"

"I… uhm… er…”

Applejack finally found the courage to look at her, throwing on the sass. "Somethin’ wrong? I think that apron’s ridin’ you the wrong way.”

“I just… c-can’t afford to be distracted for too long, Applejack.”

Distracted?

“Distracted?” Applejack repeated, squinting.

"Busy schedule and all that!” Rainbow Dash said, smirking as devilishly as ever.

Applejack stared at her... searching... pondering. At long last, she found the strength to... shrug. "Whatever." She trotted deeper into the kitchen. "I’d be a dag-blame’d fool if I did anythang to hurt yer job. C’mon now. I think I left the family pen in here somewhere.”

Rainbow fluttered after her. "Family pen? You mean you guys only keep one between the four of you?”

"Apples ain’t like writin’ a novel everyday.”

“Heheh… I’ll take your word for it.”

PreviousChapters Next