• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 4,681 Views, 2,081 Comments

Appledashery Vol. Two - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash and Applejack have a long, joyous, arduous relationship.

  • ...
26
 2,081
 4,681

PreviousChapters Next
Top Apple

"Grnnngh!"

Whappp!

Applejack slammed yet another tree. Apples fell... somewhere. She could scarcely notice when or where beyond the fog and ache of the day.

Shuddering, the mare squatted briefly on her hindquarters to catch her breath. The day was hot and it only got hotter. Applejack was certain that she was sunburnt in multiple places, but the thick coating of sweat over her petite body kept her from accurately gauging her condition.

As her breaths normalized, she caught the sound of crunching leaves and grass between the lungfuls. A green shape came to a stumbling stop in her peripheral vision.

"What in the Sam Hill is goin' on here?" It was Granny Smith. "Applejack? I was just goin' outside to fetch some water for Apple Bloom when I noticed the wagons full of apples were gone."

"I know, Granny." Applejack shuddered.

An emerald frown materialized beside the baskets. Wrinkled and angry. "And just where might they have gone?"

Applejack dabbed her freckled face with her neckerchief. "To town, Granny."

"To town?! Since when?"

"Since I took 'em." Applejack stood up. Icily, she marched past Granny Smith and began stacking baskets full of apples beside an empty cart. "Two-thirds of the harvest have been delivered to Filthy Rich."

"AJ..."

"I'll have the rest packin' in less than three days." Applejack shoved the baskets aside, grabbed an empty one, and approached another tree. "By now, Filthy should have gotten word of the delivery. We're gonna make the exchange on time."

"AJ, I thought I done told you just to leave it!" Granny Smith stomped a crooked forelimb. "It's too late to salvage the harvest this season! Best to let the tree limbs gather more fruit and double up months from now!"

"That ain't gonna work in our favor, Granny," Applejack said. She faced the next tree as the muscles in her face tightened. "We're sweatin' our flanks off just tryin' to make things even as it is."

"And since when were you the expert on family finances?" Granny Smith squinted a single eye. "Eh?" Her nostrils flared during the ensuing silence. "You deaf, filly? I done asked you a question!"

"Our family made a promise to Filthy Rich. A business promise," Applejack huffed, placing an empty basket in place. "And it's somethin' I aim to keep."

"Consarnit, Applejack!" Granny Smith spat. "Haven't you learned yer lesson already 'bout makin' newfangled ideas over how to run my farm—"

"It ain't yer dayum farm!" Applejack boomed, glaring daggers at the old mare.

Granny Smith leaned back a sharp forty-five degrees. Blinking.

"It hasn't been for years!" Applejack continued, fuming. "And just because yer only son died doesn't give you the right to take it back if all yer gonna do is run it into the mud!"

"I..." Granny Smith winced. "I-I'm not—"

"Hush!" Applejack hissed. "T'ain't no discussion that we're havin'! Rrrrrgh!" She slammed the tree hard, causing apples to fall around them.

Granny Smith flinched as if she was being dive bombed by the fruit.

A growling voice issued between them as Applejack slurred, "This family's two hooves short now, but that dun make it right for us to fall back on our commitments. If we're to stay afloat, then we gotta keep doin' the work that's required of us! If you and Big Mac wanna lie around and mourn, so be it—but do it on yer own time! Dun drag all that's left of this family with you! 'Cuz from the look of things, I'm the only pony with a lick of sense around here! And if I'm the only one workin' to keep Sweet Apple Acres alive, then—as far as I'm concerned—this is my farm! And if I say that we're gonna deliver the apples to Mr. Rich by the end of harvest season, then that's what we're doin'! No excuses!"

Applejack huffed and puffed. She kicked the tree again and wiped the sweat from her brow. She looked across the way.

Granny Smith remained dead-still, blinking with beady eyes.

"Look..." Applejack wheezed. "I'm mighty thankful that yer lookin' after Apple Bloom n'all. But she—more than any other pony—deserves to inherit the same land that her Ma and Pa sacrificed so hard to keep alive. And for her to make anythang good outta that, she's gotta do more than just grow up. She's gotta learn by example. So if you and Big Mac are aimin' to be sad and angry—then let yer frustrations out in a smart direction! In a useful direction! And that's by helpin' me get these dag nab'd apples off the trees and now!"

As the air filled with more thunderous bucking, the Apple Family matriarch leaned back and swallowed a lump down her throat.

"Applejack..." Granny Smith grimaced. "I never meant for you to take on this burden..."

"T'ain't yer place to decide. I was the one who rolled up here and began buckin' trees." Applejack took a deep breath. "You had yer time for ponies to lean on you and depend on yer gumption. Now it's my turn. It's..." She gnashed her teeth, avoiding Granny's gaze. "It's what they woulda wanted, Granny. I... I'm sure of it."

"Darlin'—"

"I ain't humorin' no more talk unless it's to get thangs done around here!" Applejack growled. "If you wanna grumble nonsense and pointless platitudes, then go share it with Apple Bloom!" Huffing, she turned to approach the next tree. "Can't afford to break my stride now..."

Granny Smith said nothing.

The silence went on for seconds... minutes...

At last, after Applejack was finished with a row of trees, she wiped her brow and turned around.

She was the only pony on the hill. She expected no less.

Jaw clenched, she slid the filled baskets to the wagon, grabbed some more empty containers...

...and continued with her torturous task.

PreviousChapters Next