• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 4,679 Views, 2,081 Comments

Appledashery Vol. Two - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash and Applejack have a long, joyous, arduous relationship.

  • ...
26
 2,081
 4,679

PreviousChapters Next
Take One Down, Pass It Around

"Heh heh heh heh... yeah, well..." Rainbow Dash—slightly sobered up from ten minutes ago—sat petitely on a stool in yet another bar, the third one that evening. She and Applejack had ordered only one drink each, but they were taking their sweet time soaking up the contents on this occasion. "...at least I got to hang out with the ponies I wanted to."

"Mmmm...!" Applejack finished her latest sip prematurely. Swallowing, she swiped the cider froth from her muzzle and spoke: "But y'all barely even talked! From what I recall, there was some hubbub over jugglin' glasses of punch all acrobatic-like and then yer Wonderbolt idols got snatched away."

Rainbow Dash blinked. Hard. "Wow. Heh..." She blushed slightly. "You listen well. Even I forgot about that crud." She winced. "Whew... almost forgot about that crud."

"Whoops! Eheh..." Applejack squirmed atop her stool. "Pardon."

"So what if I didn't get to catch their attention?" Rainbow Dash shrugged. "I mean... I'm still awesome!"

"Darn tootin'!"

"And it's not like they don't know it." Rainbow Dash smiled sternly into the rosy sunset dripping in through the bar windows. "We hung out after the Best Young Fliers' Competition, after all. It's just that..." She looked into her glass. It was half-empty, and the remaining cider suddenly didn't look so inviting. "...I was hoping for a bit more. Maybe—if they noticed me at the Gala—they would have gotten to know me on a first name's basis." A gulp, and her wingtips fluttered nervously as she looked at Applejack. "You think that's too selfish of me?"

"Rainbow, darlin', I think that's perfectly okay."

"Well... it's kinda selfish, isn't it?" Rainbow Dash winced. "I wanted more of the same from the Gala. But you?" She gestured. "You just wanted to support your folks."

"Eh..." Applejack waved a hoof, sipped, and said: "I coulda done that way better from the farm. Back home."

"Only you're not doing too well back home."

Applejack's jaw muscles clenched.

"Whoops..." Rainbow winced. "My bad. Here we are enjoying ourselves and I'm just putting a big downer on it all by bringing that back up."

"Nah... nah, no big whoop, sugarcube." Applejack bore a calm, subdued smile. "I know this is my 'vacation' and all... but reckon I'm the one who's bein' selfish-like."

"How can it be selfish to want what's best for your family?"

"T'ain't proper to think one can mince recreation with work. Well..." Applejack chuckled. "Reckon it's more foolish than selfish."

"How can you be so cool with it?"

Applejack blinked. "Am I cool with it?" Applejack looked at her reflection in her own drink. "Hmmmm... perhaps... just maybe... I am..."

Rainbow simply stared at her. Ears drooped.

Applejack finished her drink, exhaled, then squinted at Rainbow's expression. "Oh, come on, y'all..." She playfully punched Rainbow's shoulder and chuckled. "Dun let me be puttin' a damper into things. This is supposed to be a fun night of—" She belched, emerald eyes crossing slightly. "Er... well... that!"

Rainbow Dash giggled. "I didn't mean to bring it up..."

"Ehhh... it's okay..." Applejack shrugged. "It actually kinda sorta helps to talk about it."

Rainbow fidgeted in her chair. "Then... then why don't you?"

"Hmmm?"

Rainbow swirled her drink. "Talk about it more. Get it off your chest."

"Ain't we done enough of that?"

"I dunno. You tell me."

Applejack looked at Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow Dash looked at Applejack.

"Hmmmm..." Applejack leaned back with a smirk. "Well..." She tilted her hat forward. "If you dun beat all. Element of Loyalty... ever persistent lil' varmint."

Rainbow smirked slightly. "I agree with everything but the 'lil' part."

"Nopony's perfect."

"Huh?"

"Meh..." Applejack fidgeted hard, then hopped out of her seat. "If we're gonna give it the gab more..." She slapped a golden tip onto the bar counter and shuffled off. "...reckon I could use a stretch of my legs."

"Yeah, why not..." Rainbow Dash didn't even bother to finish her glass. She floated after Applejack. "We've stretched our livers enough."

"Mmmmhmm."

"Besides... the cider here sucks anyways," Rainbow said loudly.

"Snkkkt—Hahahahaha! Rainbowwwwww!"

PreviousChapters Next