• Published 19th Jun 2016
  • 2,079 Views, 74 Comments

Missing Pages & Scrawled Footnotes - Ice Star



Iceverse minifics. Little bits of world building, style experiments, character pieces, and such dumped in this anthology. Also, stuff I never finished and poems.

  • ...
4
 74
 2,079

PreviousChapters Next
Jaunty June [One Shot] [Friendshipping] [Blueblood/Raven]

Author's Note:

It's not anything spectacular, but I just sat down and decided to write something based on the picture, wondering how some Blarpglarp and Raerae interactions might go.

I ended up with a little Iceverse ficlet, but part of what else went into the story other than wanting to write more LGBT ponies was how these two might feel about being around a lot of other ponies who just aren't gay in the rest of the continuity. (Or at least, not exclusively homosexual.) With Blueblood being the only pony in the royal family who holds this identity and Raven as generally insecure would they sometimes feel different? Lonely? Would they talk to one another? Be friends?

This was the brief result of my brainstorming.

Sweet Sleepy Sunshine and So Maybe both feature more Raven. Too Early has some Blueblood/Donut Joe shipping.


everyone/slice of life

A simple encounter in the halls of Canterlot Castle allow two ponies a friendly exchange. With smiles shared, two ponies talk about all the good things to come.

"Yoo-hoo! Rae!" Duke Blueblood waved to Raven, who meeped at the boistrous greeting. Her magic flared faintly so she could hold onto the papers and pens gripped in her magic, even though they had been in no danger of falling.

"B-Blue, I c-could've dropped these! What would Princess Celestia have said if I had-"

"Auntie would have little to say about a few scattered papers." Blueblood bit his lip. "Though, I do suppose I see your point." He swallowed, looking at the floor.

A hesitant, but reassuring pat on the wither from Raven drew away any gloom. "Blue, I've still got them. No disorganization, s-see? All neat."

Blueblood exhaled and matched Raven's stride. "So, Rae, I was wondering what your plans are for June."

Raven smiled. June with Blueblood was one of her favorite times of the year because it meant that she could finally be close to brazen about something. Courageous. It was something her and Blue shared too, a whole celebration of identity when her voice felt a little louder with the nudge of a crowd.

"The parade is still on this year, r-right?" She smiled, giddy and still bearing her usual shyness.

Blueblood nodded, a spring entering his step. The grand halls of Canterlot Castle were absolutely ringing with his steps. "Absolutely, Rae!"

Duties meant that sometimes you had to be the statue everypony danced around instead of a dancer. Raven saw it in Princess Celestia, who had the hoof steps to such a routine tred right onto her heart. Sometimes that meant that her and Blue couldn't make every pride parade in Canterlot. Duties meant that sometimes the duke was presiding over another city's when they vied for the attention of the Royal Family. He might even be doing something unrelated, or in another part of the world. There were numerous possibilities, and numerous events across Canterlot and Equestria, not that Raven had ever been to another. She was a Canterlotian, born and bred. If she was to be a stripe on any rainbow, it would be one in Canterlot.

"Will Joe be able to come?" she asked expectantly. She liked Donut Joe, not that she knew him extremely well. Princess Celestia knew a young Twilight Sparkle frequented his shop very often in the past, and that him and Blueblood fancied one another, but she really didn't go anywhere the princess didn't.

"Jojo shall be making it this year!" Blueblood was grinning from ear to ear, and Raven couldn't blame him. Blue's coltfriend was spectacular, and always had the best (and only) rainbow-sprinkled donuts in all of Canterlot throughout the month of June. Sometimes that meant that they couldn't go to events together, with Blue being royalty and Joe running his own shop, but they tried.

"That's wonderful!" Raven who generally could not get out many words without slipping into a stutter, often couldn't believe she was able to so much as raise her voice around royalty. Blue never stopped being a friend, but he never stopped being royalty either; he was just the only member of the Royal Family she could really act that way around. "Should we start plans next week? That will give us extra time to check the newest Canterlot Carousel catalogues."

Raven was hoping for some rosy dresses being availible. Yes, she was more than able to afford a custom order over a more general one, but every bit spent needlessly was a bit spent badly.

"Oh gods, absolutely. Among all the boutiques in this city and the one founded by a Ponyvillian is one of the few to capitalize on the strategy of sending their catalogues out extra-extra-early. It's madness, I tell you." Blueblood wrapped a scoff in his last few words.

His stride was larger than hers, and she had to trot to keep up with him. There was nothing that could stop dramatic, energetic, and opulent Blueblood when he wanted to go somewhere or set his mind to something. He was the stallion whose parties and fortune dazzled all of Equestria, second to Princess Celestia and Luna themselves. He was the the leader, the go-getter, and Raven was the mouse.

She was used to it, not minding it. Not around Blue, and certainly not around Joe. When all her time was spent around perfect Princess Celestia and mysterious Princess Luna, finding a pony like Joe who was both quiet and strong... and so normal made it feel like she mattered just a little extra bit.

The date, May 13th, burned clearly in Raven's mind. There was much to be done to perfect their plans and who better than the top secretary in Equestria to do it? They had learned from experience that Joe was too busy and no matter how much Blue spoke, he was sickened by the thought of being responsible for starting plans for anything mid-month, and certainly not an uneven day. Duties aside, he was still known for being the 'prince of leisure'.

She was half-tempted to pull the pen she had tucked away in her bun out and start jotting down a few thoughts, but hit her lip delicately and resisted the urge. She still had a lunch meet and chess with Princess Celestia as soon as she could drop off her papers at her office.

"How does Thursday at Joe's sound for Pride Plans? Two-o'-clock?" Thursday was rarely busy at Joe's compared to the weekend, and she was certain she might have misplaced her honest-to-gods 'Pride Plans' notebook somewhere in her apartment, and until she went home to start peeking behind her modest stack of unwashed dishes (which would give poor Blue a heart attack) and behind her favorite chair, she would have to resist the further urge to scribble.

"I think that will do just fine. A letter to Jojo should be all that's needed to arrange lunch. Expect one from me if that changes or isn't do-able." Blue poked his head around the hall, ears perked forwards while Raven paused to look the next way, towards the hall that would bring her to her office.

"That sounds perfect," Raven said, heading bowing slightly through the push of habit. The word 'perfect' always was spoken so carefully and felt balanced on her tongue.

Smiling, Blueblood offered a wave back. "Have a good afternoon, Rae!"

"Bye, Blue!" She flashed her teeth in a friendly smile. "Hope you have a good day!"

Raven received a smile in return.

"May we have a jaunty June in return!"

PreviousChapters Next