• Published 26th Jul 2016
  • 532 Views, 9 Comments

Story of Diane Pie - Middle Ground



The other side to Pinkie Pie on a journey to find her place in life.

  • ...
 9
 532

Chapter 9 - Bitter-ness part 1

It's been a few days since I declared that I would try to talk to Bitter Sweet, but Tough Love is giving me work load after work load in preparation for the 'Sugar Rush'. But right now, she has given me a three day break for working so hard. Today is Tuesday and I am going to Bitter Sweet's office that is nearby the school zone where Day and Charm go to. I saw Day and Charm playing in the playground and gave them a wave before I made my way to Bitter Sweet's office. I found the building it was located in and it was a three story building and the office was supposed to be on the second floor. I walked upstairs to find the door with a plaque that said 'Dr. Bitter'. I can only imagine how his patients all felt when they saw that plaque....

I knocked on the door and waited for his reply.

"I'm not busy right now...!", he then opened the door, "If you would like to make an appoint-" He stopped his sentence when he saw me and gave me a rather annoyed look.

"Miss Diane, what are doing here? I'm not seeing any patients today and I am going over some papers right now." With how he sounded, I could tell this was going a long and difficult process....

"Um...well, I wanted to see what your office looked like and I decided to come and visit." I tried to not sound desperate.

Bitter Sweet gave a bothered sigh, "Don't you have work to do at Tough Love's bakery? What do you think she'll say when she finds out you're not working?"

I then replied, "Love gave me a three day break for working so hard. She said that the preparations for the parade has been going very well and she wanted me to rest before things got busy."

Bitter Sweet gave another bothered sigh, "Of course she did.... Fine, you may enter. Just don't touch anything and make yourself at home." I was relieved to be able to step inside and the place was really clean and neat. The papers and the chairs were all set up properly and there was a big couch for where I assume the patients sit on.

"So...this is the office. There's my desk, there's the book shelf with many different kinds of reference books, there's all the papers of past patients I have worked with, and there are the windows with nice looking curtains. Now that you've seen everything, you may go now." After Bitter Sweet pointed at everything inside his office, he then pointed at the door.

"But I just got here...! I want to spend some time with you!" I was becoming desperate now.

"Unless you're a patient, then you're not welcome here. That's the rule in this office." Bitter Sweet was not making this easy for me and I was losing the battle. But then I remembered what he told me when we first talked: He was a Psychiatrist and it's his job to listen to other ponies' problems and give them advice. He and the others do not know who or what I really am and maybe...just maybe.

"Listen, I am not in the mood to be talking to other ponies right now, so if you would-"

Just before Bitter Sweet could finish, I interrupted, "Bitter Sweet, I actually need to talk to you about something...rather personal." My interruption then caught his attention.

"I feel like I should be honest with you and everypony back home, but I'm too afraid to tell them. Maybe...you can help me with my problem." I was actually afraid of what I was planning to do and I felt like my whole body was ice cold. Bitter Sweet just looked at me without uttering a word; I could tell it was a serious expression through his dark sunglasses.

He then gave another sigh, "If it's a personal issue that you believe I can help you with, I suppose I will hear you out today. Take a seat." He made for his desk and without a moment to waste, I quickly sat on the big couch.

He then magically closed the door to his office and took out his pen and notepad, "Alright Miss Diane, start from the beginning. You have my attention." He sounded like he switched from his less-than amused tone to a more serious tone when he started the appointment. I felt scared about telling him of what I really am, but I had to do something to keep his attention. I had to risk everything.

"I...I...." Even with how determined I felt, my throat wouldn't let me even make words.

"Take your time, Miss Diane. We have all the time you need and this is a safe place for you for any personal issues." Bitter Sweet was trying to assure I was safe, but I still couldn't get any words out.

But I then gave one strong swallow and took a deep breath, "I'm not a real pony!" I just blurted out the words and it was loud; Bitter Sweet just looked at me with a blank expression on his face through his sunglasses. I couldn't believe I actually told him my secret and I felt like I wanted to die!

I could tell that Bitter Sweet was shocked from behind his sunglasses, but what surprised me even more was that he actually believed me.

"You're...not a real pony? What are you-?" He was at a loss for words as he then dropped his pen and notepad. I felt even colder than ice with how he looked at me.

"Please Bitter Sweet, try to understand! I can explain!" I told him everything about myself, about how I came to be, who Pinkie Pie is, and everything that happened to me, leading up to today. Even after all that I told him, he still gave me this shocked expression that made me wish I never existed. But then cleared his throat, regained his composure, and magically got his pen and notepad on his desk.

"Well, this is certainly something I did not expect to happen in my office. And I certainly did not expect to have a pony who is not actually a real pony. And you believe I can help you with this...how?" Bitter Sweet was making me cry.

He then noticed my eyes starting to tear up, cleared his throat, "But given the fact that you have been nothing but honest with me, I will do everything in my ability to help you get through this." I felt a little better he told me that,

"Thank you, Dr. Sweet." He then gave me a surprised look on his face.

"Did you...call me...Dr. Sweet?" He sounded like he never heard anypony call him that before.

"Um...yes?" I felt another chill down my spine. He then sat in his chair and just looked at the ceiling for a few minutes.

He then looked at me, "Well, all that aside, if you feel that you need to overcome this...identity issue, if that's what you want to call it, then maybe you'll need my help. I will do what I can to help you get through it." I then felt a bit of joy after he just told me that.

"Now concerning Miss Jubilee and the others, you might want to mentally prepare yourself for the big reveal. Because unlike myself, they might not understand so well. So I suggest you come to me whenever you're free from work, I will try to schedule you some appointments around your free time, and I may be able to help you not only come to terms with your identity and help you feel comfortable about telling other ponies your big secret. Do you find that acceptable?" Bitter Sweet sounded so sure of himself, and so professional. I just knew I could trust him.

"Yes, I will! Thank you!" I was so happy.

"Alright. If we're done here, then I will see you tomorrow for another session? I will more than likely not have any appointments made with the parade being prepared right now. So we can schedule sessions at our leisure." He then wrote on his notepad, tore out the page he wrote on, and sent it over to me.

"Come back here at 2pm and we will begin our sessions. Alright?" He was willing to help me and I never felt so happy.

"Yes...! I will be there! Thank you, Dr. Sweet!" I took the page, then made my way out the door feeling like I could become my very own pony for real. And Bitter Sweet was willing to talk to me. After helping me, maybe I can help him too.