• Published 26th Jul 2016
  • 534 Views, 9 Comments

Story of Diane Pie - Middle Ground



The other side to Pinkie Pie on a journey to find her place in life.

  • ...
 9
 534

Chapter 10 - Bitter-ness part 2

Sigh...well, this is an unexpected development. As of right now, I have a new patient I'm helping with something of an identity issue and on one of the few times of the year where I'm not so busy. Hello, my name is Bitter Sweet, I'm 20, and I am a Psychiatrist who helps ponies with their personal problems. As for what I'm like outside my work, I'm just like every other pony with problems, likes, dislikes, and unlike many ponies, I desire privacy. But considering this economy in this day and age, I have no choice but to share an apartment with five other ponies. One of them being my patient named Cherry Diane Pie. She was just recently adopted into the Cherry Family because of Miss Cherry Jubilee and I don't know what to think. Tuesday, a little after noon, I was just going through some papers in my desk and then Diane just visits me. I'm sure I could've just sent her back home and get back to work, but she then needed help with a problem that I did not expect. She told me that she is not an actual pony and how she came to be. She even told me about this Pinkie Pie who is actually a member of the Mane 6, a group of six mares who act as...protectors of Equestria. And apparently Diane actually came from within this Pinkie Pie because of this strange magical pool called the 'Mirror Pool'. Honestly speaking, I find this to be completely insane and unbelievable. But...even so, I know she is telling the truth. As for how I know? Well, does it matter? Anyway, it is now Wednesday at 2pm, and I am now waiting for her to show up again for a session between just us...and a few pony cut-outs I borrowed from a nearby theatre. I use the cut-outs to help ponies practice talking to other ponies...despite the fact that my patients are talking to dummies. But this method has worked in the past and the theatre is willing to let me borrow these cut-outs so long as they don't get broken. Finally, at 2:03pm, Diane had arrived for her session.

"I'm sorry I'm late...! The traffic was terrible!" Diane came inside in a panic despite only being late by just three minutes. I had prepared the cut-outs for her to practice confessing her big secret to a group of ponies.

"As long as you're here, that is all that matters. Now without wasting any time, meet your practice ponies. They will be the ones you will practice confessing your secret to. This will help you become comfortable about telling other ponies about yourself." I then magically positioned one of the three dummies in front of Diane to get started.

"So....I have to talk to a dummy for an hour?" I could tell Diane was pretty underwhelmed about this method.

"I know this appears rather unorthodox, but this has successfully helped patients with their social anxieties and it helped them build strong bonds with their friends and family." I was confident this method will be successful again.

"Well...if this actually works I guess I can try." Diane then slowly walked in front of the dummy and was ready to begin.

I then took my seat, watched carefully, "Alright, you start with an introduction, tell him a little about yourself, and then reveal your secret. Go." I was ready to write down anything that might be needed to be considered important. Diane looked nervous as she stood in front of the dummy; I could tell she was still afraid about telling anypony about her secret.

"H-Hello sir...my n-name is Cherry Diane P-Pie. I'm 17 years old. How are you on this nice d-day?" Despite talking to a dummy, she was quite afraid and I could tell this was going to be trying for her.

"Take it slow, Diane. Filly-steps." Diane needed to take a few breaths before continuing. We kept this up for the entire hour that we planned and unfortunately Diane has not even gotten to the big reveal of her secret. But I was willing to help until she was ready. We left the office after the session, I locked the door to my office, and we left the building for home.

"Thank you for helping me practice, Dr. Sweet." I still can't get used to being called that.

"Diane, you can refer to me by my full name when we're outside the office. You don't have to call me 'Dr.' every time." My patients usually call me 'Dr.' whenever I see them in the city.

"Sorry, I like calling you 'Dr. Sweet'. It's for helping me with my problems." Diane just gave me this warm yet unnecessary smile; I was only doing my profession.

"All that matters is that you overcome this problem of yours and I will help as best as I can. We better not keep the others waiting back home." We continued our way back home and then saw Miss Love at the front.

"Hi Love...! We're back! Are you not working today?" Diane and I were not expecting Miss Love to return so early.

"No, I'm not working today. The preparations for the 'Sugar Rush' is all done and I'm taking a little break myself." Miss Love seemed rather happy about her little break until she then started glaring at me.

"So Bitter, have you been treating her nicely today? I heard she had an appointment with you today. Mind telling me about it?" We never could get along.

"Love, he has been nice to-" I then interrupted Diane's sentence.

"I am sorry to say that I am not allowed to talk about anything that happened in the office and that anything that does happen in the office will remain confidential for the sake of the patient. That is all I will say on the matter." I then entered into the building and then removed my coat; I could almost hear what Miss Love and Diane were saying outside.

"Diane, how can you stand him? He is such a jerk!" I've always known Miss Love had resentment towards me.

"But he's really nice! He actually wants to help me with my...um...problems." I could tell Diane was still rather nervous about what we were doing just from her tone of voice alone. I don't like to eavesdrop so I made my way upstairs to see Day playing with her dolls and Charm reading his comics.

"Hey Bro, you're home early!" Charm was wearing his sunglasses as he was reading his comics; I find it to be weird. Which is only is the pot calling the kettle black considering I wear my sunglasses all the time, even when I am at work.

"Brother, are you here to spend some time with us?!" Day jumped at me like a puppy who waited for it's master to return home; I find it unnecessary since we see each other every day.

"Well, today went rather well so I guess I might spend some time." Day and Charm gave a synchronized cheer for some reason....

"Dude, you should look through this months new issue of the 'Power Ponies'! It's the issue where the Mane-i-ac builds a giant robot with robot arms! It's so awesome!" Charm looked like his eyes were full of stars.

"No...! I want Brother to look at my new doll!" Day was playing with a little cat doll with a pink bow on it's left ear. They were still very young and I've grown used to their childish banter.

"Welcome back, Bitter! You look happy~! Did something happen at work today~?! Hmm~?!" Miss Jubilee just came down from the third floor with two bags of her family's signature cherries.

"No, nothing really happened today. Diane needed help with something and I helped her with it." Miss Jubilee looked at me like I had joyous experience.

"Sure you did~!" Miss Jubilee went to the kitchen, placed the bags of cherries on the counter, and then took out pie tins; I figured she was making cherry pies again.

"Sweet! Cherry Pies!" Charm and Day both got to the counter and became very excited.

"I heard Jubilee was making cherry pies again! Is this true?!" Miss Love walked up the stairs with Diane and she began to drool as she rushed over to the counter with Day and Charm.

"Oh my...." Diane was surprised to see this side of the strong and mature Miss Love; honestly speaking, so was I.

"It's true and it is for a very special occasion that just came up~!" Miss Jubilee declared as she began to start cooking.

"What's the occasion?" Even I was curious when Miss Love asked the question.

"Today is the first day Bitter Sweet actually decided to spend time with us~!" Day and Charm then happily bounced around me like I was the rosie inside the ring.

"Oh....really?" It was obvious from her tone of voice that Miss Love was not pleased with my presence.

"I'm sorry everypony, but I need to go to my room and-", just before I could finish my sentence, Diane then grabbed my left hoof.

"But Sweet, you should spend more time with us! It'll help us get to know each other more and isn't that what your job is about? Getting to know other ponies so that you can help them with their problems? It would mean the world to Day and Charm." As Diane said that, both Day and Charm gave me this synchronized sad face and I felt like I was not going to get my usual privacy.

"Sigh....alright. I'll stay and spends some more time with you. But only for an hour. I still need to organize the papers in my room." Day and Charm then gave me a synchronized hug after I just got pulled into their little group thanks to Diane. As bothered as I was when it happened, I did not expect to....enjoy it so much afterwards. At first, we just talked about stuff that happened to us today. Day and Charm both had a good day at school, Miss Love spent some time with some of her friends in the city, and Miss Jubilee had just got the two bags of cherries from Miss Cherry Jam today to make her cherry pies. Diane and I kept our little session at the office between us since it was still too early to tell them anything. Eventually, Miss Jubilee finished baking the cherry pies and after they cooled, we all got a piece of it. I was presented with a piece and I didn't know what to think about it when I got it. I have always kept myself fed and I pride myself for being a self-made adult. But...I didn't want to be rude, so I took a bite of the pie. When the sweet, fragrant taste touched my tongue, I couldn't stop myself from eating more of it. My entire mind was trying to find a good reason for missing out on such a great tasting pie and I could not find one. I had three pieces that afternoon and my mouth was still bathing in the sweet and tangy taste. And to my surprise, I had realized that it was already 7:53pm. I don't know why I let the time get away from me so much when I looked at the clock. And what's even stranger was that I really wasn't bothered by it. It all just...happened. As it was getting late, I needed to get to sleep for another session tomorrow with Diane.

"Well, since it's getting late, I think I will turn in early. I have to go to the office early tomorrow and I will need my sleep." I then magically sent my plate and silver ware to the sink and began making my way to my room.

"AWW!" Day and Charm were both disappointed to see me leave.

"Now, now you two. Let him go. He's a hard-working adult and he needs his sleep~!" Thank Celestia that Miss Jubilee understands. There was no response from Miss Love since she was just reading one of her romance novels.

"I hope you had fun, Sweet." And Diane called me that...again.

"SWEET! SWEET! SWEET!" Now Day and Charm began to chant my last name.... I was both annoyed and embarrassed as I went up to my room. Thanks for that, Diane.... I went up to my room, finished organizing my papers, and it was 9:23pm when I finished; it was late and I needed to get to sleep. Finally, Diane walks into the room, looking sparkly clean while having a towel wrapped around her mane.

"Ah~! I love showers~!" Diane then got onto her bed and began drying her wet mane.

"So Sweet, I saw you enjoying yourself earlier. You were so sweet!" Diane was not going to let me go....

"Diane, I would appreciate it if you wouldn't do that anymore. I was just caught off guard earlier."

Diane then hopped over to me with a smug grin on her face, "Yeah right! You enjoyed it~! You had fun being with them~! I actually saw you smile the entire time as we talked~!" I want this to end so much....

"I was not smiling." Diane's smug smile then turned into an expression full of concern.

"Sweet, what's wrong? Why do you act like that?" I was confused by what she meant.

I was confused, "Act like what? I just prefer to-", Diane then interrupted me again.

"Sweet, you always try to avoid them whenever they want to spend time with you. And you never seem to talk to any pony unless they're your patients. So tell me...what's wrong?" Diane....is much sharper than I expected her to be. Like she said, I wanted to avoid this talking about myself more than she wants to avoid talking about herself. Guess that makes me a big hypocrite....

I then gave a deep sigh, "Alright, you want to know about me? Come by tomorrow and I will tell you after the next session. At 2pm." I did not want to talk about myself after everything and especially when there are other ponies present in the same building. Diane then nodded and went to bed without another word. I went to bed soon after, but before I could fall asleep, my mind was plagued with the thought of how this one pony just turned my entire world upside down. Honestly speaking, it wouldn't be the first time...and possibly not even the last.