• Published 26th Jul 2016
  • 534 Views, 9 Comments

Story of Diane Pie - Middle Ground



The other side to Pinkie Pie on a journey to find her place in life.

  • ...
 9
 534

Chapter 6 - Meeting the Family

Me and Miss Jubilee both stepped inside the building, carrying the big bag of bits. She unlocked the door with her house key and when we got inside, the smell of cherries ran into my nose; not surprising.

"Hello~! I'm home~!" Miss Jubilee called out to her family as we put the bag of bits on the floor. Thankfully, we didn't have to go far with that big, heavy bag. I then heard the sound of multiple hoofsteps making their way towards us from upstairs. We were then greeted by three other ponies who joyfully gathered around Miss Jubilee.

"Mommy...! You're back!" The first pony was a little Unicorn, a female, with a green coat and yellow mane and tail.

"Jubilee, you're late!" The second pony was a male teenage Pegasus with a blue coat and a purple mane and tail.

"I'm sorry everyone~! Business was calling and I had to answer~!" Miss Jubilee was proud of all the money she got from Apploosa. The third pony, possibly the oldest of the three, was a female Earth Pony with a red coat with a white mane and tail.

She gave a deep sigh after looking at the bag of bits, "You're such a money-grubber...."

The little Unicorn then noticed me and gave me a curious look, "Hey Mommy, who is that?" They all looked at me and I froze in place. I was already nervous before, but being looked at by many faces at once only made it worse.

"Is she a friend of yours, Jubilee?" asked the teenage Pegasus.

"Oh, she is your new sister~!" Miss Jubilee sounded so excited and I couldn't even get a word out.

"REALLY?!" asked the little Unicorn; she then grabbed hold of my front-left leg and hugged it.

"I have a new sister!" She held onto me endearingly like I was her sister.

"Hmm...." I noticed the older Earth Pony giving me a cold look; it was unnerving.

"Sweet...! And she's a real looker too!" said the teenage Pegasus. Just hearing that made me blush and feel awkward.

"Alright you three, let's start over~! Please introduce yourselves to your new sister~!" called Miss Jubilee; she was glad to see things going well. The three ponies all lined up in a row to introduce themselves to me.

"My name is Good Day! I'm 8 years old and I like having fun!" This young Unicorn reminded me so much of Pinkie Pie. She had a smiling sun for a Cutie Mark.

"My name is Cool Charm! I'm 13 years old and I think you're pretty!" This teenage Pegasus gave me a flirty wink and it made me feel even more awkward. He had sunglasses for a Cutie Mark.

"And I am Tough Love. I'm 17 years old. Nice to meet you." This Earth Pony was my age and she looked quite serious. She had a heart enveloped with light for a Cutie Mark. Aside from the serious look Tough love was giving me, I felt welcome in their home.

"C'mon now~! Introduce yourself~!" Miss Jubilee and the three ponies were waiting for me to introduce myself patiently and I felt like my throat was being squeezed.

But I gave a strong swallow and took a deep breath, "My name is Diane Pie and I'm 17. Nice to meet you." My voice sounded like it was breaking, but I was able to give a good introduction without messing up again.

"Um...is she ok?" They all looked at me with concern after Charm asked his question; they knew I was scared.

"Oh, the poor dear is just nervous. She was a lost soul before I found her~! Now she has nothing to fear anymore as this kind-hearted, smart, and beautiful mare adopts her into the Cherry Family~!" Miss Jubilee embraced me as she made her arrogant speech; it was awkward.

"This is going to be so much fun! I wanna play with her!" Day was so excited that she zipped around me and Miss Jubilee like a dog chasing it's tail.

"Day, enough of that. Jubilee is smothering her and you're making me dizzy...." Tough Love covered her eyes; I guess she really was dizzy.

"Alright everyone, let's go to the second floor and settle down~! Diane and I are both quite tired after all the travelling~!" Miss Jubilee then freed me from her embrace, grabbed her bag, and started climbing up the stairs leading to the second floor and the inside had many things. There was a built-in kitchen on the opposite side of the room, there were a couple of couches, a dinner table, a large book case full of books, desk with lots of papers, and a lot of other things.

"This is where we usually spend our time together. We eat here, we talk about our days, we play board games here, and we just have fun here. The third floor is where we sleep at night. I hope you'll like it here. So please, make yourself at home." Miss Jubilee placed her big bag of bits in an open section of the room to avoid any accidents and then sat one of the couches.

"I'm sure I will...but why is Day holding my leg again?" Day was embracing my front-left leg as we walked up the stairs and into the second floor.

"She loves giving hugs to ponies she likes. Might want to get used to it...." Tough Love sat down at the dinner table then picked up a book with a heart on the cover; I assume it was a romance novel.

"Dude, we should give her a tour! There's an arcade, a baseball field, a cool park, and there's a comic book store!" Charm eyes sparkled with the idea of giving me a tour of the city.

"She needs to rest first, dearies~! She just got here after all~!" Miss Jubilee looked more tired than I was.

"I keep telling you to plan a vacation for yourself...." Tough Love continued to read her romance novel as she made her statement.

"I know, but I need to keep the bills paid...!" Miss Jubilee seemed quite tired as she spoke. I only watched as they made idle conversation about random stuff; I found it rather...enjoyable.

"Hey Diane...! Wanna come to the third floor and see our room?! I got lots of dolls for us to play with!" Day was tugging my front-left leg a little bit, urging me to follow.

"Yeah, you should check out our room! It's so cool!" Even Charm began urging me to go.

Tough Love sighed, "You two need to calm down. You're smothering her...."

I gave a nervous smile, "Oh no, I'm fine...! I'll go and see your room!" I was willing to join them.

"YAAY!" Day and Charm cheered as they rushed over to the stairs leading upwards. I followed them up stairs and the third floor had one bed for each of them and in every section just for them. One of them was had cute animal dolls over the bed, so it was obviously Day's bed. The bed next to hers had a small book shelf on the left side with some comic books in it, on the right side there was a small table with a baseball, a baseball glove, a pair of sunglasses, and a figure of a pony in a super her costume. I was sure it was Charm's bed.

"Do you like it?! I have a lot of dolls you can play with me! I have a bunny, a sheep, and an alligator too!" As Day showed me her dolls, I couldn't help but desperately want to hug the alligator doll.

"Check this out! I got the coolest collection of the Power Ponies comics! Over fifty of them too! And you can read them if you want! Just...please be careful with them." Charm excitedly presented all of his comic books; I don't know if I'll be too interested.... I look over to the other side of the room and I see a bed with a big book case on the right side full of books; it was most likely Tough Love's bed and that the covers were straight and neat. And the bed on the left side had a body-pillow with cherries on it. It was pretty obvious whose bed it was....

"Your room looks really nice. You each have your own little space to sleep on." I was impressed with how the room was set up.

"Yeah! It's so cool! We even have another bed for you to-"

Just before Charm could finish his sentence, "Charm, that is enough. We can find her a place to sleep up here." Tough Love just entered into the room; she sounded serious.

"But there's no room up...! And I'm sure Bitter wouldn't mind!" I was curious about who this Bitter was Charm mentioned.

"He's not going to agree with having another roommate living with him. I'm sure you remember what happened to the last three roommates who lived with him." From what Tough Love just stated, I am now scared of what kind of pony this Bitter is.

"Those ponies were just big meanies...! Brother is really nice when you get to know him!" Day was serious about defending this pony.

"Who is this Bitter anyway...?" I had to know.

Tough Love gave a deep sigh, "Bitter Sweet is...well...really hard to get along with. He's not good with talking to other ponies and he doesn't like other ponies for some reason. He just...just..."

Just before she could finish her sentence, "I suggest you keep your thoughts about me to yourself, Love. It's rude." A male Unicorn with a white coat and a bright-red mane and tail wearing sunglasses over his eyes walked into the room. He had a single eye for a Cutie Mark. Tough Love then glared at the stallion and fell silent.

"Hi brother...! You're back!" Day then hugged the stallion's neck endearingly.

"Hello Day. It was a short day at work today. So I'm off for the rest of the day...." This Bitter Sweet didn't seem nearly as unpleasant as Tough Love described him to be.

"Dude...! This is our new sister! Her name is Diane! Can she have the extra bed in your room?!" Charm didn't waste any time in asking that question. Though his sunglasses covered his eyes, I could feel his cold gaze pierce through me.

"I don't mind, but the room is messy right now." Bitter Sweet then levitated Day off his neck with his magic.

"And yet you keep it clean for all of us to walk inside." Tough Love sounded angry at Bitter Sweet.

I had to act quickly, "I don't mind...! I can ignore a little mess! And I promise not to bother you! Really...!"

Just before things were starting to get ugly, Bitter Sweet then levitated Day onto her bed, "Alright, so be it. Follow me and I'll show you around." He then walked up the stairs and into what I assumed was the fourth floor. I followed him after giving Tough Love, Day, and Charm an assuring wave. The three waved back as I went up the stairs and into what could be my room. I guess this was going to be a bitter-sweet meeting after all....