• Published 26th Jul 2016
  • 535 Views, 9 Comments

Story of Diane Pie - Middle Ground



The other side to Pinkie Pie on a journey to find her place in life.

  • ...
 9
 535

Chapter 11 - Bitter-ness part 3

I wake in the morning, 5:40 am, as usual, and I get dressed for work and grab my keys to my office. With Diane being my roommate, I have to be very quiet so I wouldn't disturb her sleep. I was always an early riser and it's a routine. Just before I left the room and by extension, the whole building, I look at the sleeping Diane with expectation. After all, she is one of my patients. I then left the building and made my way to my office. Princess Celestia was just about to raise the sun to bring the new day to the land. Of course, despite last night, there were still many late-night ponies running around on the streets of the city. Well...Manehatten is the city that never sleeps. Before I got to my office building, I stopped by my favorite little café called, 'Warm Morning'. It was a little coffee shop that sold coffee, little pastries, and even juices. I prefer to visit this place every other morning to avoid the many customers that visit later during the day.

"Good morning, sir! We give the warmth to your morning!" It was the store's little catch-phrase to get the customers' attention.

"Oh, good morning, Doctor! Are you here for your usual?" asked the mare at the counter; she was getting the shop ready for the later customers.

"Yes Vanilla Cream, I am. One coffee with hazel nut cream and three sugars please." I placed my payment on the counter and then sat in one of the tables, waiting for my order. Vanilla Cream is a 17 year-old mare, Earth Pony like Diane, and she works here in the coffee shop almost every day. Her coat, mane, and tail are a pure cream-white, her eyes a light-brown, and her Cutie Mark is a sugar cube. She used to be one of my patients struck with depression before. I won't get into details, but she is doing so much better right now.

"Hmm...? Doctor, you seem...different." Just before I could read some travel-guide in a comic book rack by the entrance, what Miss Vanilla Cream just said caught my attention.

"Different...? In what way?" I was confused.

Vanilla Cream continued mixing the coffee and cream, "Well...I don't know. You seem a little...happier than usual." What she told me did not make any sense.

"Vanilla Cream, I think you might be mistaken. I haven't really been sad or anything lately. I've been working like always, keeping up my health, and nothing unexpe-", I stopped myself after I remembered something very unexpected happening recently.

"Oh...wait a minute." Cherry Diane Pie happened.

"Doctor, is everything alright?" Vanilla Cream had placed my order on my table after finish making it. I then told her what has been going on these last few days and about Diane becoming a part of the Cherry Family. I did keep her secret a secret though.

I had finally finished my coffee when Vanilla Cream then asked, "So you're meeting her again today? And you're living together?"

I started to panic a bit, "Only as roommates...! Nothing more!" I would rather not have any weird rumors about me amongst the citizens.

"Well...alright then. Well, you better go now. You don't want to be late for work, right?" I'm glad Vanilla Cream reminded me about work, because I was running a little late.

"Alright then, take care. I'll talk to you another time." I began to head out, putting back the travel-guide, and left for my office building.

"Thank you for coming!" Vanilla Cream went back to work. I rushed to my office to avoid being late for work in case any ponies wished to see me. I know that it was still rather early, but my work demands that I arrive early just in case some early birds arrive seeking an appointment. I enter the building, unlock my door, enter into my office, and thankfully no ponies were waiting in front of my office door. I then sat at my table to look through any papers I might have missed organizing; so far, nothing appears out of order. After looking over the papers of any potential patients, I now began to wait at my desk after magically levitating one of my books from my bookshelf and began to read it. It was a book written by Gray Hoof, a scholar who was famous for not only his exploration of Equestria, but also his many studies of Equestria's creatures. Reading books helped me pass the time until any ponies would visit my office. But today....only half and hour and....I am so bored. Hardly any time went by and I have grown so bored of just sitting in my office and reading my books. I kept thinking about me spending time with Miss Cherry Jubilee, Miss Love, Day, and Charm yesterday and it was all because of that one mare, Cherry Diane Pie. Ugh....I can't believe how much things have de-railed ever since I met this Diane. Though, I am still willing to help her with her identity issue, I think I am losing my usual flow. But there was no way I could quell this bothersome boredom by just books alone, so I had to think of something to help pass the time. I then remembered I had a radio in my office that I hardly ever use. I bought it a long time ago when I first started, but I stopped using it when this music genres called 'Pop' and 'Rock' were created. These music genres flooded over the soothing sounds of violins and pianos that my patients and I listened to during our sessions. I then magically turned it on and wouldn't you know, a Pop song started blasting through the radio. I changed the channel in a panic, lowered the volume, and I was finally able to find a station with the sounds of violins. In fact, I recognized it: I hear it in 'Warm Morning' most of the time and I believe it was done by a Miss Octavia Melody; a rather young but famous musician. A few minutes later, I then hear the sounds of a harp synchronizing with the cello; it was definitely a piece being played by a Miss Lyra Heartstring. I've heard a few of her works every now and then and I could recognize it. I was surprised to hear them working in a duet. This might be a reprise of the previous song Miss Octavia Melody did prior; and a good one at that. I very much enjoyed it from beginning to end and hope to hear them play again.

"Next on our list we have 'Volt Zone' made by Vinyl Scratch. Hope you enjoy it." The pony on the radio mentioned the name of another musician I have never heard of before; I figured she might be new. Just when I thought I would enjoy another soothing sound, my ears were then introduced to something...different. It wasn't Pop or Rock, but something else. Obviously nothing I have heard before; it was catchy. I continue to listen to the sounds of either the violin or this unknown sound of music and I came to enjoy it thoroughly. I've spent nearly two hours listening to both sounds until I finally heard the door knock. I turned off the radio to answer the door only to see Miss Jubilee at the door.

"Hey, Dr. Sweet~! I came to visit~!" I can't believe Miss Jubilee is calling me that; I know Diane is behind this.

"Miss Jubilee, what are you doing here? I thought you would be busy today." I was not expecting her to visit.

"I took the day off~! And I came to mess with you about Diane~!" Miss Jubilee then strolled into my office to mess with me....again.

"Miss Jubilee, I wish you would stop pestering me about stuff you know is not true. Diane and I are just roommates and she is just my patient. That is all." Miss Jubilee loved to tease me about me being involved with mares when she knows I am supposed to be involved with other ponies, male or female.

"Sure you are~! I see it on your face~! You're so different from the young colt I met five years ago~! You have a little more...light now~!" Miss Jubilee was looking over my bookshelf and what she said made little sense.

"Miss Jubilee, what are you-", she then looked at me in the eye.

"You may be able to see the truth, Bitter Sweet, but you are still very blind to everything that is in front of you." I froze as she looked into my eyes; I couldn't say anything.

"I know you have suffered and you're willing to save those who are suffering, but now I believe is the time somepony comes and saves you." She then moved away from me and then towards my door; I was still without words.

"I may not be able to help you any more than I can, but maybe Diane might be able to." She began to leave my office.

She opened the door, "Though, I could be wrong. All I know is that you have to let go of the past in order to have a future." Miss Jubilee was hardly ever serious about anything other than her family business. But when she's serious about something else entirely, that's what I'm afraid of.

"Be kind to Diane. I don't know who she really is....but I do know that she might be suffering more than most." Considering what I know about Diane, Miss Jubilee was right.

"Who knows.... You two might end up saving each other. Well then, bye~!" She then leaves my office with her usual cheerful demeanor. Honestly speaking, she left me speechless. To think that it only took the arrival of just one pony to send everything that I am and what I have done up to this point make such....a turn for the more confusing. I still have several hours before Diane makes her visit. I just....don't know what to do right now.