• Published 26th Jul 2016
  • 535 Views, 9 Comments

Story of Diane Pie - Middle Ground



The other side to Pinkie Pie on a journey to find her place in life.

  • ...
 9
 535

Chapter 2 - My Life

It was such a thrill to see the world with my own two eyes after leaving the cave. There were flowers, rocks, trees, birds tweeting in the trees, and the sky was so blue. I couldn't get enough of the beauty that I was denied for so long and I wanted even more. Leaving the forest, I decided to meet with Pinkie Pie and the ponies of Ponyville. Surely they would accept me if I was nice to them, right? Well...no, they wouldn't. Just as I was making my way to the town, I saw a pink light fly over my head and into the Everfree Forest. At first, I didn't know what it was until I saw other pink lights following the first. After seeing a few more of those lights fly by, I realized what was happening: Pinkie Pie and her friends were erasing the duplicates.

My four legs shook in terror as the thought of being erased filled my mind and I ran far away from the town, hoping to avoid such a horrible fate. I ran back into the forest with a growing desire to get away from them before they could discover me. I ran through the forest for what seemed like hours until I finally got to the west border of the forest. I was so tired when I got there and I realized that I had not eaten a thing since I was first created. My stomach was growling like a dog, but getting away was my only real concern. I kept running for miles, still filled with terror, with thoughts of them hunting me down to erase me and my brief existence. After many hours of running, I finally collapsed from exhaustion and the day was reaching it's end. I was so tired and hungry that I could hardly move my legs or even keep my eyes open. In only mere moments, my vision blurred and my world became dark....

I fell asleep that night, hoping that there would be a tomorrow for me and that no pony would find me. I then began to dream of standing in darkness, all by myself, without a soul to talk to. Until I then heard the sound of steps making their way towards me and I began to search for it's source in a panic. I then turned to a figure in a black cloak standing before me. The figure had a blue horn on her head, which meant she was a Unicorn. But I didn't know any Unicorns personally outside the ones Pinkie Pie knew. I wanted to keep my distance, but either I was too tired to do so or something was keeping me in place, I could not move. After taking a few steps towards me, the figure stops only a few more steps away from me and just looks at me for what seemed like minutes. I didn't know who this figure was or what he or she wanted....

"You're not a normal pony, are you?" asked this figure; I could tell she was a mare from both her voice and her size. I wanted to answer her, but I was too afraid to utter even a yelp.

"Do not be afraid, little one. We are not here to harm you. We are here to help you." This figure's cloak then flew off as two great wings emerged from underneath. I then realized who she was and how she was in my dreams: She was Princess Luna, the Princess of the Night, Moon, and Dreams. She was an Alicorn, a pony with a horn and wings, and they were regarded as creatures with great power and divinity. Even after hearing those words, her appearance only made me fear her even more. Being a ruler of Equestria, it was her task to protect the citizens and preserve the peace. I doubt she would show any mercy to a pony like me....

Princess Luna walked over to me and held me in her wings, "Calm yourself, little one. You do not need to fear us. We speak the truth when we say we wish to help you. It is our task as one of Equestria's rulers." Her embrace was warm and gentle, and I almost immediately felt calm and protected.

"Though you have her appearance, you are quite different from Pinkie Pie. We were quite surprised to find a pony like yourself. Do you have a name?" she asked; her voice was strong and dignified, yet calm and assuring. I wanted to answer her question, but I just started existing and I haven't said a single thing the entire time. I tried to compose myself with a few deep breaths and I then uttered my first words.

"I'm hungry...!" After saying those words, it became very silent between us. Princess Luna just looked at me with a blank expression on her face without uttering a single word. In no time at all, I could feel how awkward it became between us....

Realizing my poor choice of words, I immediately regret having left that cave. But just when I thought it was over for me, I heard Princess Luna laughing. I was so shocked to see her laughing, despite how awkward it became between us.

"You are so different, yet so much like her at the same time. We were not expecting such words so suddenly." she said as she re-composed herself, "You have nothing to fear, little one. First impressions are certainly difficult to manage the first time." She then illuminated the darkness with her horn and we were then surrounded by what looked like bits of light.

"My name is Luna, and I have come to help you. As we were traveling through the Corridor of Dreams, we came across your dream and it was quite different compared to others. It surprised us." Her face was full of interest.

"Please, little one, would you introduce yourself again? We would like to know who you are." Princess Luna then waited patiently for my answer and it only made me feel rushed. My mind was running in circles as I tried to figure out a proper answer. I just came to existence and I don't really know how the world really works. But then I remembered why I was so happy about existing that I immediately had my answer.

"My name....is Diane Pie." It was the name I was willing to take and the identity I wanted to be known by.

"I see. Then tell me, Diane, what are you so afraid of? Your dream was full of fear before we entered into it." Princess Luna had the task of protecting ponies from their nightmares, so finding mine must have been easy for her.

"I....I...." I didn't know what else to say. It was my first time ever having a conversation with another pony, and with a Princess at that. It was becoming awkward again....

Princess Luna then chuckled, "It seems you are at a loss for words. Though, we cannot blame you for that. After all, you are an unusual pony."

Just from that sentence alone, I then asked, "How...?" My legs began to shake with fear.

Princess Luna then sat on her rear-legs, "One's dreams are a gateway to one's sub-conscious. And usually one's memories are present. Before we met with you, we saw bits and pieces of your memories and we knew that you are very unusual. Unlike any pony we have met in our admittedly brief time in Equestria." She knew what I was before she even met me and I sat down as well.

"So...what now?" I knew that I was too different to even be considered an actual pony in Equestria and I was willing to accept the consequences.

But instead of passing judgment on me, she just smiled at me.

"Do not worry, Diane. We will not harm you. You have not done anything wrong. After all, you just started to exist." Just from those words alone, all the fear I felt faded away.

"Listen Diane, you may not be like the ponies in Equestria, but that is what makes you unique. You are you. The life you have just started is yours to make. And it's what you do in life that really matters. However, there is only one question we must ask...." A light began to radiate as she spoke to me. I swallowed, awaiting her question.

Princess Luna then spreads her wings and rises into the air, "What do you want to do?" The light coming from her became even brighter as I looked on in awe.

I then took my stand, took a deep breath and declared, "I WANT TO LIVE!" Those words echoed loud as everything faded into white.

"A good answer. Make sure to try." Those were the last words I heard from Princess Luna until finally...I woke up from my dream.