• Published 26th Jul 2016
  • 531 Views, 9 Comments

Story of Diane Pie - Middle Ground



The other side to Pinkie Pie on a journey to find her place in life.

  • ...
 9
 531

Chapter 8 - Bitter Sweets

Tough Love gave me a job at her bakery/café and I am so busy...! I clean tables, I clean floors, I wash dishes, I take orders, I serve ponies their orders, and get a paycheck for all of it. The bakery was named 'Sweet Hearts' and it's full of pastries, cakes, muffins, and all kinds of baked sweets. It reminded me of the place Pinkie worked at called 'Sugar Cube Corner'. Aside from being really tired after work, I love it! It's so much fun...! Tough Love did tell me there was a maid uniform involved, but it was actually just an apron with a cupcake on the front. She told me she was only joking when she presented the apron to me. I got to work right after that and I am having the time of my life! I meet with so many different ponies and I here some really interesting stories. Actually, Tough Love told me that the her bakery had been getting more and more customers. I wonder why....

After a short week of working there, I'm starting to feel like an actual citizen. Right now, I am working in the bakery, getting ready to call it a day. There are a few late-stayers enjoying their extra orders and it's nearing closing time.

"Alright guys, it's time for you all to leave. Scram!" Tough Love then summoned a bunch of brooms from the nearby closet and started sweeping the late-stayers out the door.

"Geez, they never stayed for this long. So weird...." Tough Love then sent the brooms back into the closet.

"Anyway, great job today. You're a regular hard worker. The bakery has never had this many customers before you came and we've made a haul in only one week." Tough Love sounded so happy and energetic after just one week; I almost didn't recognize her.

"I'm having so much fun right now. And the customers are all so nice." Even I felt very energetic after today's work. I then noticed Tough Love looking at the clock and it was 8:48 pm.

"Time to head home. We don't want to worry Day or Charm." She began to put away the pastries and turn off the lamps for the night.

We finished closing the bakery and then made our way back home.

"So I saw something on the calendar in the kitchen. Is something happening on the 23rd?" The 23rd had a big red quotation mark on it and I imagined something really important going on.

"Yes, I call it the 'Sugar Rush'. It's a time of year where tourists from all over Equestria come to Manehatten to enjoy a little yearly parade that happens during the 'Running of the Leaves'. Shops all over Manehatten will be very busy and we need to be ready for it. I was actually looking for some help for when the day comes and here you are." Tough Love sounded like she was ready for anything.

"I'll help in any way I can." I was also ready for anything. We crossed some streets, passed a couple of blocks, and we finally got back home with Day welcoming us back with a big smile on her face.

"Welcome home...! Mommy made pancakes for dinner!" Day's eyes sparkled at the mere mention of pancakes. I could smell the warm, sweet smell of the freshly made pancakes and my mouth started watering.

"We better not keep them waiting!" said Tough Love with excitement. We started walking upstairs and the smell of dinner pancakes filled the room and our noses.

"They smell....so good." I could hardly control myself since I was actually quite hungry.

"Are they done yet?! I'm hungry...!" Charm was drooling from the wait.

"Almost done~! Just a few more minutes." Miss Jubilee was happily making pancakes quickly and carefully. Charm and Day gave a synchronized groan about waiting longer.

"This happens every time Jubilee makes pancakes." Tough Love chuckled as she took her seat.

I then took my seat, "So how was school today? Was it alright?" Day gave a giggle while Charm gave another groan.

Day's eyes sparkled, "I went to a school play today. It was about this couple who fell in love and kept it a secret from their parents. It was so romantic!"

Charm then laid his head on the table, "It was so BORING! Please give me pancakes!" Miss Jubilee just got a plate full of pancakes and placed them on the table.

"Chow down, everypony~!" She even had syrup ready.

"FINALLY!" Charm then grabbed a bunch of pancakes, poured syrup, and began gorging.

"Hey, let us eat some!" Day quickly levitated some pancakes onto her plate and also poured syrup.

"There's plenty more where those came from~!" Miss Jubilee had made extra pancakes; good thing too because Day and Charm were eating them like they were eating candy.

"I'm home. Long day at work, gave a pony some advice, and he was rather happy." Bitter Sweet walked into the room, placed his coat down on one of the couches and sat down to rest his hooves.

"Hey brother, come and have some pancakes with us...!" Day was presenting the stack of pancakes that were being eaten rather quickly.

"Yeah, they're the best!" Charm was on his fourth one.

"No thank you. I've already prepared something for dinner in my fridge." Bitter Sweet then placed an envelope on the living room table.

"There's my portion of the rent. If you all would excuse me, I will be heading into my room. Good night." He then left for his room without another word.

"Big jerk...." Tough Love ate her pancakes feeling angry towards Bitter Sweet.

"Wait...is he a room mate or is he part of the family?" I was so confused.

Miss Jubilee gave a sad sigh, "It's a little complicated. You see, four years ago his father and mother had a divorce and it only got worse soon after. Bitter lost both of them and he didn't have any other relatives to take him in. I was friends with his parents, so I took him into my family, but he hates the very word 'Family' so much that he would rather be just a room mate who helps pay the rent. He won't eat with us, he hardly ever talks with us, and he prefers to be alone than be with us. Honestly, I don't know what to do with him...." Miss Jubilee sounded very concerned.

"He's probably sad.... I want to make him happy." Day sounded like she was going to cry.

"Yeah, and he's the coolest guy I know. I want us to hang out." Even Charm sounded depressed. Tough Love gave an angry grunt as she continued eating her pancakes.

"Well...maybe you should just try and talk to him. Maybe he'll listen." I tried to give them some kind of plan.

"You should know I can here everything you're saying...!" Bitter Sweet called down to us and we all fell silent, feeling awkward. Tough Love then finished her pancakes, took her plate and silver ware to the sink.

"I'm going to go read my novels." She left for the third floor sounding very upset; I guess she really doesn't like Bitter Sweet.

"Oh...Big Sis is angry now." Even Day and Charm became depressed.

"I wish we could talk to him. But he hardly stays in the same room with us. He has this really thick shell around him and none of us can get through to him." Miss Jubilee then took the leftover pancakes from the dinner table and placed them on the kitchen counter.

"I want to help him more than any pony. He just...needs to let us in." I knew that it wasn't any of my business, but something inside me compelled to do something.

"Then let me try to reach him. Maybe I can talk to him." Miss Jubilee, Day, and Charm were all surprised by my declaration.

"Can you really do that? None of us have been able to do that." Miss Jubilee sounded worried.

"I know I can. All that's needed is a little time and patience. I'm sure he just needs to talk to somepony." I was suddenly determined.

"You can do it, Sis!" Day then sparkled with joy.

"Dude, that would be so awesome!" Even Charm started sparkling.

"I would like to speak against this.... But maybe you're right. I think you should break him out of his shell. It might make him really happy." Miss Jubilee gave a relieved smile at me.

"I will not fail!" I was ready to try my hardest to help Bitter Sweet get over his bitter-ness.