• Published 26th Jul 2016
  • 533 Views, 9 Comments

Story of Diane Pie - Middle Ground



The other side to Pinkie Pie on a journey to find her place in life.

  • ...
 9
 533

Chapter 4 - Apploosa

Cherry Jam and I sat in the living room together, hoping to talk about Miss Jubilee's rather...unreasonable decision of adopting me into the Cherry Family. It was very awkward between us and the silence was not helping....

Finally, as she drank her milk, "So...Diane, you might feel rather shocked and confused about what my cousin did earlier. Honestly, I know the feeling...." Miss Jam's voice sounded nervous from how abrupt her cousin's decision was. I remained silent being unable to say anything.

"Though...you might be happy to know that this isn't the first time this happened. Jubilee did this many times before." I was surprised to hear such a thing about a mare who is...admittedly quirky.

"Jubilee was always a strange pony. Even when she was younger, she would take in ponies that didn't have a family or a home. Her parents would object, but over time, Jubilee got a big family of ponies who all love her so much. Our family got even bigger and...well...so did our cherry-farming business." She was embarrassed to say so, but I can definitely believe that.

"So...are you willing to accept that, Diane? Would you want to become part of a family that so suddenly?" she asked as she finished her cup of milk. I remained silent, unable to answer such a question. I'm not sure they would accept me as one of their own so easily. I would be happy to have a family, some friends, and this might be what I could really need in my life, but still....

"I know this is a rather unusual decision to make, but maybe you should agree to it. I've met with all of the ponies Jubilee adopted, and they're all so sweet. And they would accept you without question. I'm sure of it." Miss Jam was very insistent in having me accept Miss Jubilee's offer. Honestly, I had half a mind to do so....

The door then swung open and Miss Jubilee stepped through.

"I made such a pretty bit today~! Business was just sweet today~!" She came back with a big bag full of bits; I guess cherries are very popular her in Apploosa.

"I'm glad you had a good day, Jubilee. I guess you're sold out of cherries then?" asked Miss Jam; her voice sounded like she expected that to happen.

"Better than that, cousin~! Chief Thunderhooves had asked for another cart full of cherries for a sweet deal~! Not even 12 o'clock and I am making so much money~!" Miss Jubilee was hugging the bag full of bits like it was her filly. I then remembered that the Cherry Family was about as successful as the Apple Family in terms of farming.

"Oh, I almost forgot! Diane, did you think about my offer? Do you want to be a part of this family? Or do you need mare time?" It was back to the many questions for me....

"Um...well...I-" I wanted to answer, but I didn't really think about it enough.

"Jubilee, maybe she needs a little more time before a decision is made." Miss Jam, though she was insistent before, sounded serious.

Miss Jubilee was silent for a bit, "You're right. I shouldn't rush her.... Instead, she should go out and enjoy the day! Diane, you and I can go and have some fun in town! I won't be leaving until later this afternoon, so we have plenty of time! And I am free from my work!" She was excited to have some fun after quickly finishing her business. I was reluctant, but staying inside all day didn't sound all that appealing to me.

"That...sounds like fun." I was quite nervous about going out and being seen by many ponies that might mistake me for Pinkie, but I had to do something in my life than just hide like a scared filly.

"Great~! Let me take my bits into my room and I'll be right with you~!" She left to do so, though the bag was quite heavy as she made her way up the stairs. For the moment, it was just me and Miss Jam.

"Um...my cousin can be...rather...loud and hyper. You get used to it." Miss Jam gave an awkward laugh; I couldn't agree more. "Though, if you want my personal opinion.... Cherry Diane Pie sounds like a nice name. I think you might like it." Just hearing that name gave me a sense of...belonging somewhere.

"Sorry I took so long, Diane~! That bag was heavy~! Come on~! We have a fun day ahead of us~!" She excitedly awaited my company at the front door, carrying her little bag for a day of fun in Apploosa. Again, I was reluctant, but I left my seat to join her.

"Hey cousin, you want to join us~! We should get to know her a little more while we're in town~!" Alright admittedly, Miss Jubilee was a little too excited to know about me....

"No, I am a bit tired from waking up so early. So I'm going to stay and get some sleep. You two have fun without me." Miss Jam gave a yawn; she might have woken up quite early.

"Alright, your loss~! Let's go, Diane~!" Miss Jubilee then dashed out the front door like a bird from it's cage.

"Ah...wa-wait for me!" I ran after her, feeling anxious about heading into a town where every pony and buffalo could mistake me for Pinkie. The two of us spent a lot of time in the town, enjoying the saloon, the square dances, drinking some apple cider, and talking to some of the Settler ponies and Buffalo. But the entire time we were in the town, I could feel the Settler ponies and the Buffalo stare at me from behind. I could even slightly hear what they were saying. Some of them asked each other if maybe I was related to or if I was Pinkie Pie. I was so scared the entire time, but thankfully Miss Jubilee was there to keep me company. We spent a good amount of the day, having fun in the town.

Finally, after what seemed like hours, we returned to Miss Jam's house to rest our tired legs.

"Phew...! What a day~! I had so much fun~! Did you have fun, Diane~?" Even after all that happened, Miss Jubilee still had a lot of energy left. I was so tired after running around so much that I laid on the couch from exhaustion.

"Oh, welcome back, you two. Glad to know you had fun." I saw Miss Jam walking from inside the kitchen wearing an apron.

"Oh yes, we had so much fun today~! It never seems to get boring around here~!" Miss Jubilee in one of the three chairs in the room to rest up.

"It's a good thing you two came back right now. I just finished making a salad for the three of us for lunch. Go sit at the dinner table and I'll go get it." said Miss Jam as she made her way back to the kitchen.

"Thank you~!" said Miss Jubilee; she walked sat at the dinner table, ready for lunch. I'm also glad to have come back because I was quite hungry after all that Miss Jubilee and I did today.

"Thank you, Miss Jam." I know I might have already been accepted into the family by now, but I haven't really made my decision just yet....

Miss Jam presented us with our salads and we enjoyed our lunch time together. As it went by, I couldn't help but feel so...happy. Spending time with others, eating good food, talking about random stuff, and just enjoying the day, the feeling was joyful. About an hour went by, and our lunch time came to a close. I had long finished my salad since I was so famished.

"Well...I think it is time I leave Apploosa now, cousin. I have some hungry mouths to feed when I get back home." Miss Jubilee gathered up her bag and then began to make her way up to her room. I then remembered that I still have not made my decision about being adopted into the Cherry Family yet. My mind had been so pre-occupied that I completely forgotten about it! My mind was spinning as I tried to make a decision on the run.

"You know, I may have said this already...but maybe you should accept my cousin's offer. I mean, you don't have a place to call home, do you? You don't have anypony to call a family, right? Maybe you should take what was given to you." Miss Jam became insistent again, maybe even going so far as trying to convince me to accept.

"But if you believe you should remain alone, neither my cousin nor I will stop you. Really...that's you decision to make." She was very serious; quite a contrary to her cousin.

As happy as I was to actually have a family, but the feeling of being a complete stranger in a family of complete strangers made me feel uncomfortable. But...with no time at all, I then made my decision and gave a weak smile on my face. Of course the smile quickly faded when Miss Jubilee slipped and fell down the stairs along with her big bag of bits. She gave a scream as she and all the bits hit the floor.

"NO! MY BITS!" She quickly got back up and began to gather her bits back into the bag in a panic. Miss Jam then sighed,

"Oh dear...." She walked over to Miss Jubilee to help her with her bits; I followed.

"I'm sorry...!" Miss Jubilee was regretting to have stockpiled so many bits up the stairs.

"Miss Jubilee...?" Having made my choice, I had to tell her what it was.

"Hmm? What is it, Diane?" Miss Jubilee looked at me with face full of curiosity. My throat felt like it was twisted in knots as I tried to get the words out.

I gave a strong swallow, taking a deep breath, "Is it too late to...join your family?" I was so nervous and anxious that my voice nearly broke.... Miss Jubilee then gave me a joyful expression and then embraced me again.

"OFCOURSE, DIANE~!" She squeezed me tight and I could barely breathe.

"We must hurry~! We have so much to do~! When we get to Manehatten, everypony will be so happy to have you~! Just you wait~!" She then frees me from her strong embrace and then quickly got all her bits back into the bag.

"C'mon~! Let's go~! Let's go~!" She was excited to head to Manehatten with the newest member of her family.

"I'm happy for you, Diane. Welcome to the Cherry Family." Miss Jam gave me a gentle smile, welcoming me.

In no time at all, Miss Jubilee got her bag of bits onto her wagon and we were about to head out of Apploosa.

"See you again, cousin~! I'll be sure to bring Bitter with me next time~!" She was ready to head out with her three Cart-Carrier ponies.

"Be careful on your way back, cousin. And Diane, take care of yourself." Miss Jam was there to see us off. I gave her slight nod, still feeling nervous about the decision I just made.

"Alright then, let's go, boy~!" called Miss Jubilee; her three Cart-Carrier ponies then began to pull the cart and we now set off to Manehatten. After waving goodbye to Miss Jam, we then left Apploosa. Without knowing what is in store for me, I anxiously await my arrival in the big city and my arrival into the family that may or may not accept me....