• Published 3rd Apr 2016
  • 3,355 Views, 346 Comments

The Anthropologist - Weavers of Dreams



Join Lyra as she interacts in various human-related problems ranging from wannabe Nazis to eldritch horrors that just need some love. No problem is too great that it can't be fixed with a baseball bat or high-powered cieling fan, that's a promise.

  • ...
19
 346
 3,355

PreviousChapters Next
-78- Misinterpretation and Coincidences

Lyra stood at the prize counter, searching about for the book that was supposed to be the grand prize. Her vision still blurry from being awoken not long ago, she had set Henry upon the counter, as lookout for the rest of the family. Which was worrying her. She felt like she had slept for hours, but that couldn't possibly be right.

"Can I help you ma'am?" the young stallion behind the counter asked in a bored tone.

Lyra nodded. "Yeah. I'm looking for a book. I thought for sure it was here."

Sighing wearily, the stallion turned to look through the various offered prizes. "What's the title?"

"I'm not sure," Lyra blushed in embarrassment. "All I know was that it was a Daring Do novel."

The stallion rummaged around for a bit. "Well, we've got an Encyclopedia Celestia, an assortment of foal curriculum and a whole heck-load of cookbooks. Ah, here's a Darkest Darkness. Sorry, can't find a Daring Do."

"Rats," Lyra muttered, rubbing her eyes. "Someone must have won it before we got here."

"So we don't get the first expedition?" Henry asked, looking up at the sign.

Lyra chuckled at his mispronunciation. "First edition, Henry. And, no. Sorry, kiddo."

"Actually, the kid is right," the stallion stated, reaching up and taking the sign down. "See? First ever Expedition with Daring Do. But you need the golden ticket in order to win it."

"Like this?" Henry asked, pulling out said ticket from underneath his skimmer hat, which he had been wearing all day. "My... uh, mom told me to keep it under my hat, because she said it might be important."

The stallion stared in amazement. "Seriously? You... you actually found it? It's been weeks since they posted that prize. I was beginning to think it was just a scam to increase business. But, you found it? Which machine?"

"The one with the colored bubbles we had to pop in order," Henry said, thinking back as the stallion took the ticket from him. "That was fun, but a loooooot of work."

The stallion rummaged around for a minute behind the counter. "It was on the bubble court? Seriously? Only little foals play that game."

"I'm not little," Henry muttered, growing very unamused by this stallion. The pony didn't seem to hear as more sounds of scraping and shuffling were heard beneath the counter. It prompted the young colt to try and peer over the edge to see what was happening.

Unfortunately, this resulted in some bad timing, as the stallion had found what he was looking for and stood back up, knocking the colt in the nose in the process. His hat falling to the side, Henry rubbed his smarting nose as he glared at the stallion, whilst sporting a sheepish expression.

"Sorry," the stallion apologized as he lifted a dusty box from up onto the counter and blowing it off. The colt sneezed hard in the cloud that billowed off. "Sorry, again."

Opening the box, the stallion revealed a laminated card depicting the image of a semi-amused pegasus mare in a pith hat. Underneath it read:

Congratulations, explorer. This card is good for a guaranteed twenty-four hour experience with the world's foremost archeologist, Daring Do. Do not lose it, trade it, or sell it. As that will prove you are not a true adventurer, and will therefore void the warranty. We will know if any of these scenarios transpire. She is looking forward to meeting with you, explorer.

Henry reached out and took the card in his hooves, eyes wide in amazement. As soon as he made contact, however, the card sparkled and the pegasus on the cover winked, while at the same time a light flashed in his face, startling him. He dropped the card and almost fell off the counter.

"Ah, I see," the stallion said with a chuckle, catching the colt before he could topple over the edge, "there's probably a miniature camera inside it. So that's how they'll know who won. Do like you did with the ticket kid, and put it under your hat."

Blinking away the spots from his eyes, the colt did as he was instructed.

"About the most exciting thing that's happened around here since forever," the stallion sighed, putting the box away. "Well, enjoy your prize. And, seeing as you still have... quite a few tickets left over, feel free to choose whatever else we have available."

"You hear that, mom?" Henry asked excitedly, turning towards the unicorn, who had been quiet. Almost unsettling so, now that he thought about it. Seeing her just staring at him was even more unsettling. "Um... Mrs. Heartstrings?"

The stallion was becoming worried as well. He reached over to poke her shoulder. "Um, ma'am? Do I need to call somepony?"

He leapt back with a most unmasculine yelp when she whipped her head around to look at him. "Daring Do?"

The stallion nodded. "Yes, ma'am."

"An expedition with Daring Do?"

"Again, yes, ma'am," the stallion inched away, looking for a hiding spot.

"But, that can't be possible," Lyra hissed, looking away and gripping the sides of her head as though it were about to explode. "We're heading to Fillydelphia." She turned to look back at the stallion who had managed to partially hide himself behind a giant teddy bear. "Right?"

"No, ma'am," the stallion squeaked, somehow managing to make himself look smaller.

The mare reached out and grabbed her son off the counter, pressing him against her chest in an almost delirious fashion. "But... But... Daring Do is in the Western Isles."

PreviousChapters Next