• Published 3rd Apr 2016
  • 3,355 Views, 346 Comments

The Anthropologist - Weavers of Dreams



Join Lyra as she interacts in various human-related problems ranging from wannabe Nazis to eldritch horrors that just need some love. No problem is too great that it can't be fixed with a baseball bat or high-powered cieling fan, that's a promise.

  • ...
19
 346
 3,355

PreviousChapters Next
-65- Parental Mysteries

Feeling a little envious of the attention Henry was getting, Twist decided to reveal herself. She quickly found herself smooshed up against the colt in the thestral's kind embrace. The mare in question seemed to have tipped over the edge with happiness as she snuggled her two grandchildren while crying for joy.

"Lyra, did you break your mother, again?"

An excited expression spread across the unicorn's face as she looked up at the balcony, where there stood the stallion of the house. Even from a distance, this thestral appeared quite large. He stared down at the group with a stern expression that bade no nonsense from anyone.

Lyra waved energetically at him with a giggle. "Hello, papa. I'm home."

He nodded with a low chuckle. "So I see."

Mercury rolled her eyes and spun around to address her husband. "Oh, shove the act, Bass Butt and come greet your grandchildren."

It was like someone switched his serious switch to "ecstatic". He was over the railing in a flash and nuzzling the foals whilst making excited sounds. Lyra grinned at Noteworthy and Bon Bon, who stood very still, observing the new grandparents' interactions.

"Told you they'd love them," she said proudly. "Don't worry about papa. He only uses the 'too-serious-for-life' act when there are strangers in the house. You should see how it affects the new maids they get every now and then."

The two grandparents eventually ceased their loving assault and turned to face the earth ponies, with Mercury holding Henry and the stallion holding Twist. The two foals, manes rather disheveled and appearing deeply confused yet satisfied with the attention they had been given, giggled almost drunkenly.

"What happened?" Twist asked, looking over at Henry. He hiccupped.

"I don't know," he said, hiccupping again. "But I really hope it happens again."

"Maybe later, dear," Mercury said, kissing his head. Which caused him to make face. This only encouraged her to do it again. "Well now. How do some refreshing treats sound?"

As if on queue, Bouncing Betty appeared, flanked by two other maids, manes and tails tied up in elegant buns with fresh uniforms. "Already taken care of, mistress. If you would follow me, we will have you all seated and provided for without any unnecessary delay."

The two thestrals quickly slipped their respective foals upon their backs, though Lyra protested, and then bid the two earth ponies "follow". Lyra just sighed and held Twist close from her forced perch upon her father's back.

"I'm Baritone Bugler, by the way," the stallion said to the couple with a toothy smile.

"Uh, Noteworthy," the blue stallion responded.

"I am Bon Bon," the mare inclined her head politely.

"Pleasure to finally meet you both," he chuckled oddly.

It is well documented that thestrals have a fondness for red meat cooked extra-rare. But, it was also a well documented fact that ponies with more delicate constitutions, namely foals, would find themselves sick from observing such eating habits. So, rather than having to deal with a couple of distraught foals, Bouncing Betty had saw to it that a sugar-spiced ham was served instead.

About the small table, the seating was thus. The two thestrals sat on one side, their grandchildren upon their laps, with Lyra pressed between them. Noteworthy and Bon Bon sat opposite them all, feeling a little out of place in the grand dining room, with maids to tend to their requests. It was really the pegasus maids that almost tipped them over the edge, as they quite literally hovered close by, awaiting direction.

The two earth ponies were almost at a loss as to what they should do, as the maids had also set out an inordinately large collection of tasty delicacies. Lyra and the foals, however were quick to reach in and grab what ever was closest. At least, that is, Lyra tried.

Bouncing pushed away the plate of confections she had stacked up and shook her head warningly. "Your tea and honey, first, young mistress. We must keep you strong." She set down a decently sized cup of hot tea, and a plate, upon which sat a large chunk of honeycomb. "Finish these, then you can enjoy the rest of the meal."

Lyra sighed, but smiled, nodding gratefully. "Thank you, Betty. That will be all for now."

The two grandparents watched with some concern as their daughter awkwardly lifted the teat cup in her bare hooves before taking a sip. The honeycomb, however, almost made them laugh. The hot tea had warmed up her hooves, thus melting the honey in the comb so that it dribbled down her legs, as she bit into it. She was a sticky mess by the time she was done.

Mercury Melody was fast to wipe her clean with a cloth napkin. "Stop fidgeting, Lyra. I will not have this drying in your lovely fur. Oh my word, why must you act like a little filly."

"Because your embarrassing me in front of my son and my herd," Lyra responded in protest.

Bouncing Betty and the other maids gasped in shock, but professionally held their tongues. They had not been there when Lyra made the announcement.

"That's what herds are for," her mother returned with a grunt as she finally managed to removed the last of the sticky goodness. "The more you're embarrassed, the more they'll love you."

"It really is about time she settled," Baritone stated with a nod. "Don't get me wrong, a mare should be free to make her own choices in life. Have adventures and whatnot. But, it's so tiresome to think that all she does all day long is sit in a office and then come home to a bed just big enough for herself so she can sleep, alone. Not exactly the high life."

"Trust me," Bon Bon said with a shake of her head. "Lyra's single life was anything but boring."

Mercury chuckled. "I believe it. I'll be sure to show you the family albums tomorrow. But, Lyra's always wanted a family of her own. The letters she would send us were very detailed in regards to you two."

"Don't you dare show them those," Lyra cried out, face burning red.

"Are you planning on keeping secrets from your own herd?" her mother asked, giving her a look. "I mean, just imagine the night you'll have with that fine stallion if he were read that one you sent us last year."

Lyra looked down between her hooves and then let out a low whine. "I-I suppose. But I'd better be there. T-t-to make sure you don't blow it out of proportion or anything."

"Have you two been together yet?" Baritone bluntly asked the stallion across from him. He seemed to smile at the stallion's discomfort.

"N-not yet, sir. My first wife thought it would be a good idea to see where we stood with your family first." Why was he getting so nervous? He had been up against things that appeared much more terrifying than Equestria's equivalent to a bloodthirsty vampire. But this stallion just seemed absolutely menacing.

"Well," the stallion thought a bit, then shrugged, "I'm fine with it. How about you, Melody?"

Mercury smiled and nodded vigorously. "We have plenty of rooms available for you first night together. Don't worry about being passionate, the maids are used to cleaning stuff up."

One of the maids made a gagging sound. This earned her a swat from Bouncing Betty who gave her a venomous glare.

"I do hope you won't be too lonely without him tonight, dear," Melody continued, looking at Bon Bon. "Though, we could put you in the same room as Henry and Twist. That way you can keep an eye on them."

"I suppose that would be a good idea," Bon Bon said, noticing her husband's apprehension. He had good instincts, so she knew something was off. "But, I must say, you're taking this better than we thought you would."

The thestrals rolled their eyes and sighed.

"Our Lyra may seem a little naïve," Baritone began, "but she would never make a rash, ill-informed decision. She'll take weeks pondering over something before coming up with the best solution. If she thought you were, in any way, a bad influence, she never would have stayed with you for as long as she has."

Mercury nodded in agreement. "Not to mention we've done some checking of our own."

"You what?" Lyra asked, giving her mother a shocked expression. She received a kiss between the eyes. Her cross-eyed stare made the two foals laugh.

"As if we would let our sweet little filly go and live with some strangers without giving them a thorough background check." Mercury turned back to the earth ponies with an ominous wink. "What we found was very reassuring. We're certain our baby's in good hooves."

"Well, they did make me sign a pre-nup," Lyra groused, mildly miffed.

"Even better," Baritone sagely nodded. "You may not realize it, Lyra. But that's one of the best protections you can get in life. Because, believe it or not, there are people out there who'll make it their life mission to ruin and break apart your happy little herd. Even if they have little to nothing to gain from it."

With that last piece of wisdom, thoughtful silence fell over the meal.

PreviousChapters Next