• Published 3rd Apr 2016
  • 3,356 Views, 346 Comments

The Anthropologist - Weavers of Dreams



Join Lyra as she interacts in various human-related problems ranging from wannabe Nazis to eldritch horrors that just need some love. No problem is too great that it can't be fixed with a baseball bat or high-powered cieling fan, that's a promise.

  • ...
19
 346
 3,356

PreviousChapters Next
-66- Mad Maid Made Matters Memorable

"Well, this was simply delightful," Mercury cooed as she gently rubbed the distended belly of the colt in her lap. He let out a contented sigh and snuggled against her stomach. "I do believe it's someone's bedtime."

Twist let out a yawn from her place in Baritone's lap.

"Make that a couple of ponies," Mercury chuckled.

Lyra softly reached over and pulled Henry away from her mother, who was reluctant to let him go. "It seems like, doesn't it? But, no. Bon Bon had him checked out a couple weeks ago and they found he suffers from chronic insomnia. Bon Bon and I have been taking turns staying up with him."

"Ah, that's not fun," Mercury said, stroking his mane. "Doesn't like being alone either, I take it?"

Lyra nodded. "We try our best. More than a couple time I've just woken up to find that I'd fallen asleep beside his bed."

"I'll stay up with him tonight," the thestral mare stated with a fond grin.

"But, Bon Bon's going to be with them tonight."

Mercury pouted. "That doesn't mean I can't cuddle him until he falls asleep, right?"

"I won't mind," Henry said with a giggle. "She's nice."

"But, Bon Bon..."

"I wouldn't mind either," Bon Bon said with a smile plastered on her face. "It'll give me a chance to... talk with your mother."

"But..."

"Are you really trying to keep me from bonding with my grandson?" her mother's pout was now accompanied by sad puppy-dog eyes. How was she doing that? She thought only little fillies and Fluttershy had that power.

"N-no, of course n-not," Lyra stuttered before the power of those manipulative pupils. "I was just a little concerned, mama. I remember, when you adopted me, I almost literally drowned in the gifts."

The two thestrals' cheeks turned red in embarrassment. "Ah, yes. That was a very dumb thing we did. I never once imagined a little filly would ever beg us to get rid of all her fancy clothes, jewelry, plushies, and other little treasures."

"We wound up donating most of it to multiple orphanages around Equestria," Baritone explained with a chuckle. "From then on, we were much more reasonable in our gift giving. Just three or four small things every now and again."

Bon Bon couldn't help but laugh. Then she kicked Noteworthy to get him to respond as well.

"This has been a wonderful evening," Mercury said stretching out her wings with a contented sigh. "But, alas, there are a few things that need to be done. Lyra, why don't you take these little angels to the family bath and get them cleaned up before bed. Make yourself look pretty for tonight as well."

"Mama!" Lyra cried, blushing somewhat fierce.

"Now-now, Lyra," Mercury chided her. "The first night is very important. Now get along, Marmalade Spread and Syrup Sweet shall accompany you. And don't worry about a thing, after your father and I are done talking with you herd, I'll make sure to give you some good advice."

Lyra sighed in defeat and pushed herself away from the table. The two maids whose names had been called gathered up the foals with a couple of kind smiles and trotted after the unicorn at a reasonable pace. After they were gone, the two thestrals took on a more serious demeanor.

"Bouncing Betty?"

"Here, mistress," the mare answered, inclining her head respectively.

"See to it we are not disturbed," the thestral mare ordered. "Now, do attend to your duties ladies, we'll be sure to call if need be."

Bouncing Betty pulled a small cast-iron frying pan from her mane and brandished it at the other maids. "You hear that? I catch any of you listening in on the master's and mistress's meeting and you'll wake up to find yourself on the Frontier. You got that?"

The newer maids gulped and gave the mare a wide berth as they hastily departed, while the more experienced ones just rolled their eyes and left with graceful steps. The last to leave was Betty, who closed the doors behind her with a loud "thump", and then proceeded to lock it.

"Well now," Baritone began, taking a deep breath as he stared across at the two unsettled earth ponies. "Don't be scared. We have need of your help once again, agents Sweetie Drops and Noteworthy. There is trouble."

Mercury leaned in close to her husband allowing him to throw a comforting wing about her barrel.

"And it involves our baby."

PreviousChapters Next