• Published 3rd Apr 2016
  • 3,343 Views, 346 Comments

The Anthropologist - Weavers of Dreams



Join Lyra as she interacts in various human-related problems ranging from wannabe Nazis to eldritch horrors that just need some love. No problem is too great that it can't be fixed with a baseball bat or high-powered cieling fan, that's a promise.

  • ...
19
 346
 3,343

PreviousChapters Next
-46-

Noteworthy had come home from work later the same day of the incident, and he immediately managed to hit it off with Henry. This pleased the mares of the house very much, and they found themselves enjoying the sight of the two colts befriending each other over a stack of comic books from his own personal collection after dinner. Bon Bon was not one of those wives to throw away her husband's toys.

After all, colts never grow up.

Noteworthy even agreed to help the foals get to bed that night, taking a story book with him. Allowing the mares to get ready for bed without any unnecessary hassle.

"Did you really have to stuff him like that?" Lyra asked, brushing her teeth beside Bon Bon , who was doing the same. The other mare nodded.

"Of course, he's a colt, they're always hungry," she said with a foamy smile. She spat out the toothpaste into the sink and cleared her throat. "Besides, he's so timid, if I didn't keep loading up his plate, he wouldn't have asked for more. I made enough to feed an army tonight just for his sake."

"You always make enough to feed an army," Lyra stated as she copied her friend's action, and then gave a bemused look. "Tonight was just overkill."

"And yet he still managed to almost devour everything," the confectioner chuckled. "Ooh. I so want to have a colt someday. At least one."

"Your food bill's gonna skyrocket," Lyra warned with equal mirth.

"That is quite literally a small price to pay," Bon Bon waved her off in annoyance. "Despite the circumstances and recent events, this is actually a good thing. I'll get some practice in raising a colt."

"I hope not too much practice," Lyra said as she levitated a cup under the faucet. "Not that I want him gone or anything. But he needs to get home to his family."

"As you've said," the other mare sighed. "I dread the look on Twist's face when it's time for him to go. Did you see the faces of Jessi's host family's children?"

Lyra froze. "Oh dear. In the excitement, I completely forgot about Time Turner. Ugh, and we had such a clever plan, too."

"What are you going on about?" Bon Bon asked in confusion.

The mint mare sighed wearily. "Time Turner and I had made a plan to turn the tables on his mares for taunting him about having to get meat from the pet food stand due to a recent shortage."

It was Bon Bon's turn to sigh. "Ugh. Those two mares never know when they've gone too far. That sweet stallion of theirs really needs to stand up to them every now and then at least. Thank the Maker my Noteworthy isn't scared of me."

"Even though he has every right to be, Agent Sweetie Drops," Lyra giggled. It had taken a while, but, in the end, she did forgive her friend for hiding such a valuable piece of information. She even found it funny now.

"Don't be ridiculous, Lyra," Bon Bon rolled her eyes as she wiped her mouth with a towel, "after all, the agents of F.R.O.W.N. were just as competent as us at S.M.I.L.E.(1)"

Lyra's giggling was cut short with a gag as she almost swallowed her toothbrush. She remained frozen, staring into the mirror as terrifying thoughts raced through her skull. Why did it suddenly feel as if she were sitting atop a powder keg with a lit match? No. A freakin' torch.

The candy maker just smiled as she tossed the small towel into the hamper. "Well, Noteworthy should have finished telling them a story or two by now. I'm gonna go make sure they're tucked in."

* * *

Bon Bon quietly opened Twist's door. Normally the door would squeak, alerting members of the household, but the crafty mare had learned that pressing down on the doorknob as she pushed inwards would make the motion almost silent. Useful for catching naughty children unaware.

Peering inside, she noted with happily that Twist was indeed tucked in. She was a little bemused to see her daughter wearing and eyepatch with a little tricorn hat close by. Noteworthy must have told them a story about pirates.

But those were not things a filly should sleep with.

She stealthily crossed the room and removed the items, giving the sweet child a kiss on the cheek in the process. The costume pieces were placed in the closet, where hung dozens of other articles for a plethora of stories. A cute family tradition.

Giving Twist one more kiss, she left the room as silently as she had entered.

"Sweet dreams, Twister."

She then turned around to face the door directly opposite. It was hard to predict what she would find on the other side. Would the poor colt be exhausted and fall asleep immediately? He had taken a nap earlier that same day. Or, perhaps, he was still anxious over today's earlier events. Either way, she would have to proceed softly.

The guest room door was relatively quiet on it's own, but she was careful all the same.

The room itself was rather bare. Just a bed and dresser with a small closet. She made a quick mental note to go shopping tomorrow. Lyra had mentioned that he would be stuck in Equestria for a while, and a colt did need some toys at least. Meat too. He was still human after all.

Speaking of said human. He had really good ears.

Bon Bon sighed as she watched at the lump in the covers twitch as the colt seemed to be trying to flatten himself out as though he were attempting to hide. Hopefully Noteworthy hadn't been foolish enough to tell a scary story on his first day. Did they have any scary pirate stories?

Closing the door behind her, she approached the bed and sat down, placing her front hooves upon the blankets. "Can't sleep, Henry?"

"Sorry," was the muffled, timid reply.

"No need for that," the good mare said gently, pulling back the covers to reveal the wide-eyed child. "Trouble sleeping, dear?"

The boy adopted an ashamed expression. "Y-yes, ma'am."

"That's understandable," she said soothingly, lifting his chin with a hooftip. "That's why I'm here to check up on you. Are you scared of the dark?"

"Nno," he quickly denied. Too quickly. But, one look into the mare's unconvinced eyes made him ashamed. "Y-yes."

"I believe there is a nightlight you can use," Bon Bon said, looking about for a power socket nearest the bed. There were actually multiple nightlights about the house, like the bathrooms and kitchen where accidents would most likely happen. But the one she was referring to was really a leftover from when Twist was scared of the dark. She would refrain from telling him that though. "Here, let me go get it for you."

She turned to leave, but froze when the colt let out a frightened squeak.

She turned about to see him burying himself under the covers again. She turned about and climbed upon the bed as she removed the covers from him once more. She looked down to see him shivering and looking up at her with scared eyes. "You're scared of being alone more than the dark, aren't you?"

In response, Henry shut his eyes and leaned into her. "I'm sorry. I always sleep in a room with my brothers. I just... I'm used to... I don't want to be alone... I'm sorry."

He quickly found himself wrapped in a hug.

"That's nothing to be sorry about. I'll tell you what. How about I stay here, just like this, until you fall asleep? Will that make you feel better?"

The colt sniffed and nodded. "I don't fall asleep very fast."

"That's fine," the mare said with a smile as she nuzzled the top of his head. "I'm patient."

Two and a half hours later, the colt had finally fallen asleep. Long after the candy maker had passed out. Even later, a slightly worried Noteworthy went searching for his wife. Upon finding her snuggling with the colt, he quietly draped the covers over them so that they wouldn't freeze, and then departed with a smile on his face.

* * *

(1) Think of them as the CIA and the KGB except on the same side.

PreviousChapters Next