• Published 6th Dec 2015
  • 25,971 Views, 5,387 Comments

The Moon in the Dark - Tatsurou



When little Luna falls down a deep pit, she discovers a world she never knew existed...and an adventure that will reshape the world as she knows it.

  • ...
85
 5,387
 25,971

PreviousChapters Next
No Escape

Once back in the lab, Alphys immediately started the required maintenance to plug Mettaton in to recharge his power core. Once she'd done that, she began to make herself a cup of tea. "It's going to be a while before Mettaton is fully recharged," she told Woona. "An hour or more, depending on how much he strained his systems. Thankfully, magic electricity works much like monster food, and will repair damage as he recharges." She paused, looking down at her tea. "I-If you want, you could go ahead and head back to the Core...I-I'm sure you want to meet up with King Asgore..."

"Not yet," Chara replied. "He called...he saw me on stage...I think we all need to wait a bit before that meeting..."

Alphys' eyes went wide. "Chara...I just heard you. Without any tech."

"W...what?" Chara gasped out, shocked.

"I felt my magic resonate," Woona pointed out. "Maybe we're becoming more attuned?"

"T-that's possible," Alphys explained. "While there haven't been any studies about souls sharing a body, the soul is the source of magic. While someone drawing a soul into themselves would increase magic, I...suppose the essence of the person whose soul it was might enter the other person as well...and that could resonate back and forth, making both souls more attuned with each other, meaning that the longer someone held another soul inside them, the more it would amplify their magic."

"And that's why Chara's becoming more real the longer he's inside me?" Woona asked eagerly.

"Quite possibly," Alphys replied, rushing to her computer and typing away as she quickly wrote down notes on the subject. "But if that's the case, then...hmm..." She began to mutter under her breath as she typed, too quiet for either Woona or Chara to hear.

Realizing he could now speak for himself to others, Chara decided he had something that needed to be brought up, needed to be answered. "Alphys," he began, "there's something I need to ask you about. It's...about the other fallen children."

Alphys paused. "W...what makes you think I know anything about that?" she asked carefully.

"Gaster told me you'd know," Chara explained.

"I have no idea who you're talking about," Alphys replied firmly, her eyes on the screen.

"Yes you do," Chara countered, somewhat confused. "The previous Royal Scientist, made the 'Legendary Artifact', Sans and Papyrus' 'father', somehow fell into the Vo-"

Alphys' hands slammed down onto the table hard, the sound of the thump echoing through the room, claws coming out of her fingertips gouging the wood. "I said I have no idea who you're talking about!" she snapped out, her voice more intense than anything either Chara or Woona had ever heard from her, practically a shout.

Woona staggered back in surprise. She looked up at Alphys, wanting to complain about her anger...but then she saw her eyes, wide with abject, mind-erasing terror. "A...Alphys?" she asked worriedly.

"We must not remember..." Alphys whispered. "If we do not remember...he cannot come back...he must never return..." She sunk back into her chair, clutching herself tight and shivering in fear. "The world cannot handle his return..." Reaching over, she grabbed a vial from the counter and quickly downed it. She fell slack against her chair as the vial tumbled to the ground. When she sat back up, she seemed more normal, but a bit confused. "I'm sorry, what were we talking about?"

Confused, Woona examined the bottle, translating the runes etched into the glass.

5-minute Retcon

Making an effort to be silent, Chara murmured to Woona, Gaster's more serious than I thought, if Alphys erased her memories of the past five minutes rather than risk remembering him...beware the man who speaks in hands indeed... He shook himself off, deciding to approach the subject from a different direction. "You were going to tell us why Asgore killed my brothers and sisters...the other Fallen Children."

Alphys looked down and away. "Oh...that..." Turning to her computer, she called up a few files. "How much do you know about the difference between monsters and humans when it comes to food?" she asked.

"Monster food is made of magic," Woona replied. "Human food is made of nutrients. That's why I don't get any bigger, no matter how much monster food I eat. Mama explained that to me before I left the Ruins."

Alphys nodded. "That's right. The only exception is Queen Toriel's cooking. Somehow, she's able to generate nutrients in her food as part of her cooking methods. King Asgore's been...desperately trying to reproduce it ever since the first child left the Ruins to go to him...but as far as we're able to determine, it has something to do with the ingredients she gets in the Ruins. She brought a great deal of them when she left the Ruins to come to New Home the first time...but there weren't any left when she carried Chara's body back in..."

"Why?" Woona asked, confused. "Why work so hard for nutrients?"

Chara, however, understood. "Malnutrition."

"Yes," Alphys replied. "Monster food is enough to replenish vital energy and heal injuries for humans...but it doesn't provide the nutrients humans need to sustain their physical matter. After about a week outside the Ruins, the human children slowly began to starve to death. The first child...King Asgore watched them waste away right before his eyes, desperate to find some way to save them...but nothing worked. In the end...the only Mercy he could give them...was to take away the pain..."

"So once a human leaves the Ruins, their only way to survive is to take Asgore's soul to cross the barrier," Chara deduced. "Because it takes the power of a human and Monster soul to cross it, and only a Boss Monster's soul sticks around after death, and is thus the only Monster Soul a human can collect."

Alphys nodded in agreement. "And so...King Asgore re-instituted the policy of all humans who leave the Ruins are to be killed. His logic was that...if a human had to fight their way to him...then they'd be more willing to fight them. And when each child reached him, he...took away their power to grant him Mercy...so he could give them the only Mercy he could. He makes the FIGHTs with him Kill or be Killed...to spare them death by starvation."

Chara fell silent, turning it over in his mind. The pain that his Father had gone through, for the sake of those he cared for so deeply...no wonder, when he'd overheard Undyne's phone conversation with Asgore, the King sounded on the verge of grief stricken madness. He began to wonder...if Asgore could be saved.

As he wondered, however, he felt a stirring of rage, dark and vile, and so surprising because it wasn't his own. Woona's mane and tail began to wave in a non-existent breeze as her Magic began to surge, her fury coaxing her power to orders of magnitude beyond what it had ever reached. She wasn't even tapping the Soulstone, but her power was surging as she became filled with more and more DETERMINATION.

And then he heard her thoughts.

The Barrier...I will destroy it!

PreviousChapters Next