• Published 6th Dec 2015
  • 25,971 Views, 5,387 Comments

The Moon in the Dark - Tatsurou



When little Luna falls down a deep pit, she discovers a world she never knew existed...and an adventure that will reshape the world as she knows it.

  • ...
85
 5,387
 25,971

PreviousChapters Next
Goal in Sight

Moving east of the television kitchen, Woona found herself atop a cliff, gazing down at a massive pool of lava. In the center of the pool, visible in the distance, was a massive mechanical structure. She wasn't able to make out too many details at the present distance, but as she stared at it her, phone rang. "Hello?" she spoke up into the phone, awe in her voice as she stared at the structure.

"H-hey Woona," Alphys replied. "S-see that building in the distance?"

Woona rubbed her chin, then grinned impishly. "I don't think so. Is it behind the metal mountain?"

"No you fool, it is the metal mountain!" Alphys replied, the pair giggling at the joke. "That's the Core," Alphys continued, serious once more. "It's the source of all power for the underground. It converts geothermal energy into magical electricity, by..."

"Yes?" Woona asked eagerly. "How does it work?"

"Uhh...I don't think I can explain it over the phone," Alphys admitted. "I...kinda need my diagrams...and even then, I don't fully understand how it works. I didn't build it. It was built by my predecessor...umm...for some reason, I can't remember too much about him. It's a struggle sometimes even to remember I had a predecessor..."

"I see..." Woona replied, making a mental note to ask Gaster how it worked if she ever saw him again.

"A-anyway," Alphys continued, "that's where you're going to go. In the Core is an elevator directly to Asgore's castle."

"And that's where he is?" Woona asked eagerly.

"He rarely leaves these days," Alphys explained. "Except for special occasions..."

Woona frowned sadly. "Poor Asgore..."

"Yeah..." Alphys agreed. "W-well...good luck!" With that, she hung up.

Putting her own phone away, Woona continued onward, making her way to an elevator labeled R1. Stepping inside, she floated herself up to the buttons, seeing that she could currently go to Left One or Right Two. Which should I go to? she asked Chara.

Left One is just back by the entrance of the Lab, Chara explained. Right Two will take us onward.

Nodding, Woona pushed Right Two, settling to the floor as the elevator moved. Did Flowey really tell you all this? she asked, having put together who the 'friend who would complain at my grave' had been.

No, Chara replied. That's just how I know about the people down here. The path and puzzles I know from when I lived here. For me, home was in the Castle beyond the Core... As the elevator opened, he sighed wistfully. A...Flowe-

You can call him Asriel, Woona interrupted. I put that together, too.

Chara fell silent for a time. ...Asriel and I used to get into trouble for running around the Core to play.

Nodding, Woona stepped out of the elevator, letting the subject drop. Just outside, she spotted what looked like a living flame, similar to Grillby. He did not have much to say, however, as all he said when Woona approached was, "I'm Heats Flamesman. Remember my name!"

Chara suddenly chuckled. Ask him if he knows anyone named Ember, he asked.

Eager to do anything to cheer Chara back up, Woona did as asked. "Do you know anyone named Ember?" she asked curiously.

Heats gaped in shock. "Nobody's heard of my cousin before!" he gasped out. "That Fire Ghost left the Underground ages ago. No one's sure where she went..."

I'm not sure whether to find that hilarious or confusing, Chara murmured as Woona went on her way forward.

Woona giggled at that, only to gasp happily as she spotted Sans at another sentry post. She rushed forward happily. "Hey Sans!" she squealed eagerly.

"hey, woona," Sans greeted warmly. "good to see you again. glad you're doing well so far. wanna buy a hot dog?"

Woona glanced around at the environment. "...are there other kinds here?" she mused.

Sans chuckled happily. "good one. but i'm talking about food."

"Oh," Woona answered. "Umm...I don't think I can. I only have two empty pouches, and I wanna save those in case I find something super duper important."

"no prob," Sans replied. "but would you like one to eat now?"

Woona rubbed her chin. "Mmm...I'm not really hungry, sorry." Seeing Sans looking a little down, she offered, "But you can stack them on my head if it'll make you feel better!" She blinked in surprise at her words. What made me say that?

My idea, Chara explained as Sans grinned widely.


Woona walked very carefully onward, making sure not to upset the pyramid of hot dogs stacked along her back, neck, and head, rising upwards into the air. This was your idea, she grumbled internally.

I didn't think he'd go this far! Chara countered defensively. Besides, free hot dogs.

Which I can't eat, Woona sniped back. I can barely move!

...I have an idea. Reaching through Woona's magic, Chara crafted a quick sign and hung it around Woona's neck.

Hot Dogs Special Sale!
Only 25G While Supplies Last!

Woona stared at the sign as she walked. You really think- Moments later, she was swarmed by monsters, and her back was empty, her gold satchel much fuller. ...but I wanted to try one... she whimpered.

Check your satchel, Chara replied teasingly.

Looking inside, Woona found one hot dog Chara had saved for her, which she eagerly devoured. Thank you! she squealed happily.

As Woona walked along, now free of the burden on her back, she noticed several more social network posts. Some were interactions between Alphys and Papyrus, but one was a friend request from Napstablook. Woona tried to accept eagerly...but the request had already rejected itself. So Woona sent her own friend request back. She was pleased to see it accepted, however timidly.

Further on, Woona found another path split, this one with conveyor belts going east and west. Across the conveyor belts, the path ahead was blocked by a laser field. Three switches lined the belt moving west. As she considered this, Alphys called her.

"This next puzzle is timing based," Alphys explained. "You need to hit all three switches within three seconds."

"Does order matter?" Woona asked curiously.

"W-well, no..." Alphys replied, "but you can't really run against the conveyor belt."

"But I can use magic!" Woona replied. "I can press them all at the same time from here!"

"T-that could work!" Alphys confirmed.

Smiling, Woona reached out with her magical aura and pressed all three switches. The energy field blocking the path vanished. "Thanks, Alphys!" Woona called happily into the phone.

"Y-you're welcome!" Alphys replied, her voice also sounding happier.

Continuing further on, Woona came to what was obviously a maze of disconnected platforms and shifting steam vents. Gulping nervously, she stepped onto the first vent, only to be propelled so high she went all the way to the other side of the chamber, skipping the entire thing.

You lucky pony! Chara grumbled. It took Asriel and I months to figure out the pattern to cross this easily. You just skipped one of the hardest puzzles in the Underground by being tiny!

Woona chuckled nervously, her game breaking nature filling her with DETERMINATION...she guessed?

PreviousChapters Next