• Published 18th Aug 2015
  • 4,646 Views, 34 Comments

Journey of the Spark - LordMalevar063

  • ...
5
 34
 4,646

Twilight's Corruption

The doors of the throne room open as the step inside, a few guards following suit. Twilight is seen crying as she is lead into the room, still devastated by what she had seen. Just then, Luna enters. All look tired and ragged, with looks of worry on their faces.

"What happened?" asked Luna

Twilight does not answer, hanging her head low with sorrow. A Royal Guard enters the throne room, followed by a few survivors.

"Your Highness," said the guard, "we've taken heavy hits. These are the last of the survivors I found. More are wounded, and many have gone missing."

"I do not understand," said Luna. "Why did your squadron leave their posts?"

"Forgive me, your Highness; my guards do not abandon their duties without reason. We were given strict orders to reposition and defend the castle from intruders."

Luna lowers her toward the guard. "Who was it that gave you this order?"

The Royal Guard glared at Twilight and signed. "Twilight Sparkle, your majesty."

Twilight winces and slowly lifts her head at the mention of her name the group looks at her.

"T-Twilight?" exclaimed Fluttershy.

Anger fueled in Luna's moony eyes. "You are dismissed," she said, hearing how it was Twilight who ordered the guards to reposition the troops. The unicorn she trusted to put in charge of the Royal Guards.

The guards exit the throne room. Luna looks to Twilight, a great look of anger on her face.

"Princess Luna… I-I…,"

"What were you thinking?" the princess snapped. "Why would you issue an order that would leave Canterlot virtually defenseless!? None of the events that happened tonight would have occurred if it weren't for your negligence!"

"That can't be right!" protested Rainbow Dash. "Twilight's smart! She would never make an order like that."

"Actually… it's true," said Spike.

"What?" said Rainbow Dash.

"I saw Twilight running away from the ballroom," he stated. "I thought something was wrong, so I followed her. When I caught up to her, she had already given the order."

"Spike, I -," Twilight mumbled.

"The verdict stands Twilight. What do you have to say for yourself?"

Twilight protested: "But Celestia was the one who-"

Luna's expression of anger grows and slams her hoof onto the ground. "How DARE YOU! Shirking off the consequences of your actions in an attempt to belittle my sister's judgement! After all that's happened!"

"N-No!"

Luna angrily glared at Twilight. "Get out."

"I'm so sorry," Twilight apologized, tearing up.

"GET OUT!" Luna shouted.

Twilight looks at her friends with an expression of absolute devastation and disbelief. Completely crushed, she breaks into a sob and bolts away, out the doors and toward the labyrinth.

Twilight runs into the palace labyrinth, her fast gallop slowing down to a gentle trot. Twilight stops in front of a great water fountain, a stone statue of Celestia facing her. Twilight looks into the fountain, a few drops of her tears rippling the surface of the water.

(The song: Twilight's Lament plays here.)

From out of the darkness, Twilight hears a female ghostly voice. "Twilight." The voice sounds like Celestia.

"Celestia?" gasped Twilight. Twilight looks up from the fountain to see a section of the labyrinth shrouded in shadows, making it appear far darker than most of the labyrinth. She hears the voice again: "Twilight…"

"Princess? Where are you?" The voice does not respond. Twilight begins walking in the direction of where the voice seems to be coming from. As the fog begins to clear, Twilight sees an enormous tower. Twilight stops dead in her tracks before walking towards the tower, examining her surroundings. "What is this place?" she asked herself.

Twilight stops in front of the door to the tower. She gulps, afraid and anxious of what awaits her inside. She enters and sees its dark inside. The moonlight peels back to reveal to her the statue of Discord. "Discord?"

"It's been a while, Twilight," said a male ghostly voice, closely resembling Discord's voice.

"Show yourself!" shouted Twilight. She cracked up when she heard another voice.

Discord's voice laughs and echoes throughout the tower. "Did you miss me Twilight Sparkle? I've certainly missed you."

"This is impossible! How can you-"

"How can I be talking to you when I've been encased in stone?" asked Discord, lightly chuckling. Despite being in his statue prison, the Spirit of Chaos knows how to talk. "Oh, Twilight, don't you know? Chaos has no limitations. Although you and the rest of your little friends valiantly defeated me, I am still very much alive."

"What do you want!?" Twilight demanded.

"Now, now, Twilight," said Discord, calmly, "No need to set your mane ablaze. It makes you look about as much of a drag as Celestia."

"Don't talk about the princess that way! She's-"

"Gone, from what I hear."

Twilight's anger dimmed out surprised to hear of Discord knowledge, despite being trapped in stone. "How do you know that?"

"You forget, Twilight, that I can feel the vibrations of chaos and disharmony. I can sense the grief in your heart. Something awful happened, didn't it?" Discord chuckled again.

Twilight started crying. "I-it was all my fault. I could've saved her but I didn't. Everypony hates me."

"Oh, Twilight, you knew that a day like this would come," stated Discord. "After all, nothing is eternal. Well… except chaos of course. The answer to your problem is simple. I can help make the sadness you feel simply melt away."

From outside, rain begins to fall slowly. Thunder pounded the air with freight.

"How do you expect me to believe that you could just take away everything I'm feeling? Nothing you say will help change the fact that everypony hates me."

"Ah, but consider this, Twilight," proposed Discord, "Why live in a place where everypony hated you, when you can live in a place where you were respected, beloved? Worshiped even?"

"Oh, please, a place like that can't exist."

"Oh, but it does, Twilight! Just imagine it!" said Discord. ""A place where all the pain could just fade away."

Suddenly, right before Twilight appears a ghostly vision of Celestia. "No!" gasped Twilight. The ghost closes in on Twilight who was frighten by the ghostly image, bringing back the horrible memory of rocks crashing down on Princess Celestia.

"A place where all the pain could just fade away," continued Discord. "A place where nopony would ever hurt you again."

"No! NO!" shouted Twilight. She cowers on the ground as the ghost of Celestia disappears through a puff of smoke.

"And getting there is easy as pie. All you have to do..."

Twilight's eyes begin to widen. Suddenly, Twilight's body begins to lose its color, becoming slightly desecrated and bland. The rain from outside begins to fall heavily. Twilight shakes her head, Discord's words echoing in her mind.

"…is take the first step."

"Where do I go?" asked Twilight, desperately.

"Anywhere," answered the Spirit of Chaos. "So long as it's far away from everypony who did you wrong."

Then Twilight looked at the door, which she came in. "The first step," she said. Without so much as a second thought, Twilight gallops towards the exit of the labyrinth, never looking back. A bolt of lightning strikes behind Discord. His evil laughter can be heard roaring loudly, pleased that all is going according to plan.

Author's Note:

Yes, there was to be a song here, but I don't have the lryics.
Maybe the only song (along with "On Our Way" can be heard on Youtube.