• Published 18th Aug 2015
  • 468 Views, 1 Comments

Magic Paint Brushes 3: This Ice Life... - Ugly-Duckling123



It's the winter holidays in both Equestria and on Earth. But it might not be as jolly a holiday as everyone would like.

  • ...
2
 1
 468

Chapter 7

One step at a time the girls going for Jack took great care so not to set off any more traps.

"This place is amazing..." Rarity said for the umpteenth time looking all around her at how marvelous the palace was, never knowing how wonderful ice could be, coming to a stop to look at a picture. Then the next thing she knows the wall spins around and she was hit over the head with something, knocking her out.

"Can we admire it AFTER we get Jack back Rarity?" Suzy asked getting really annoyed the Unicorn cared more about the palace than Jack.

Getting no answer, Suzy and Fluttershy looked behind themselves and saw the fashionestia was not there.


Down the other path Sarah and Twilight were also taking care of where they trod.

"Wait..." Twilight said not having sensed anything for twenty paces meaning there was an undetectable trap close by.
Looking through her bag Discord gave her, she found nothing useful for detecting traps only a tub of itching powder, and a small fan.
"What good can these do?" she asked out loud expecting an answer from Sarah.

But Sarah wasn't there.
****
While Twilight had been going through her rucksack, Sarah thought she heard something a few paces back and went to see what it was, coming to a door she was sure was not there before.

Silently wishing up a bow and a few arrows, to which her bracelet granted, Sarah slowly walked in, always looking around her to try and find what was in there with her, but could not find anything.

After getting to the middle of the room and thinking there was nothing there, Sarah turned back to see the door was gone.

Rushing forward Sarah started to bang on the wall and call out for Twilight to get her to come and help her back out.

"Oh what memories this brings right Sarah Jones?" Scarabs voice rang out around the room a cruel laugh joining it.

"You get your butt out here bug so I can squish you and get my cousin back!" Sarah screamed reloading her bow after firing the first one into the shadows where a pair of green eyes were looking at her from.

"You should really be more careful with that toy of yours," Scarab said coming out his eyes glowing, and fangs dripping with paralyzing venom "Someone could get seriously hurt. You should also not make promises you can't keep..." he said grinning as binds suddenly came out behind him and wrapped themselves around Sarah making her fall to the floor, always struggling but the more she moved the tighter the binds became.

"Like I said... What memories..." Scarab said with a smile after hitting her with a sleep spell knocking her out.


Back with Suzy and Fluttershy, they were heading back the way they came to try and find their easily distracted friend, trying not to show the other one that they were afraid.

When they had been walking for five minutes Suzy said to stop.

"W... Why?" Fluttershy said timidly, her sensitive ears picking something up back the way they came so she went to see what it was, suddenly the floor gave way making her fall into a room below it her scream being cut off by the floor fixing itself the second she fell in.

"If we haven't found her yet," Suzy said taking off her bag to sit against the wall to rest, "Then something must of happened to her."
Getting no reply, Suzy looked up even more worried than before after seeing Fluttershy was missing no too.

Hugging her bag to herself trying to stay calm, Suzy jumped when she felt it move and could hear a high voice saying 'Choking... Not breathing...'

Loosening the hug on the bag Suzy was about to open it when the top flipped open and inside was the snowbaby her big eyes and smile looking up at the Changeling with excitement and happiness.


Outside Pinkie and Rainbow Dash were making the best out of their speeds and running around and bringing down snow packed clouds to create a blizzard to blind it, while AJ and Eric were attacking it's legs Eric finally managing to cut one leg off.

But before they could do any celebrating or go inside to help the others, just like those dumb broomsticks from 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice' Eric thought a new leg grew off the snowman, and a new snowman grew out of the leg.

"OH COME ON!" Rainbow screamed annoyed and tired enough as it is.

"Well it probably doesn't help that you're making it snow Cloud-Butt," Eric said after dodging an arm sweep from one of the snowmen.

"Do you want them to find us?" Rainbow's voice asked.

"More than I would for there to be even more of them," Eric said clapping his hand over his mouth realizing he had just cursed them to now have to deal with a fleet of snowmen, who were all popping up out of the ground sinister smiles on their faces and ice armor glinting in the sun.

"Well done Knave," Applejack said who was next to him trying to block out her ears to the curses he was saying on how stupid he was.

"Hey it's not so bad..." Pinkie said coming over too hearing what Eric said about the snow and stopping the ring she was making. "I bet they're all just cranky because they all lost their hats. Or because we're trespassing..." she said giving them her wild ideas as she set her bag down and pulled out fifty each-one-slightly-different-yet-exactly-the-same smart looking top hats and zipped around placing a hat on each snowman, who right away calmed down and smiled when they felt something being placed on their heads.

Once the last one had a hat, the duplicates all roared in gratitude to the pink pony and burst into snowflakes taking their hats with them. Only leaving the one who was guarding the door who was still smiling.

"You know, you amaze me sometimes Pinks," Applejack said to Pinkie who was now also hugging the snowman who was hugging her back.

Eric was smiling now too, glad that this was over. But if it was... then why was it still snowing? Looking up he was shocked to see no blue cloud butted big headed loud mouth Pegasus.

"Err... anyone take note of where Rainbow went?" he asked the girls who just now noticed their friend was gone too.
****
(Rainbow POV a bit earlier)

"OH COME ON!" Rainbow screamed annoyed and tired enough as it is that the snowman just fixed himself just like that.

"Well it probably doesn't help that you're making it snow Cloud-Butt," Eric's voice called out after a 'THUMP' of one of the snowmen's arms

"Do you want them to find us?" Rainbow's asked flying higher to get to the right height so she could do a Sonic Rainboom and blast these over grown popicles to bits.

But just as she was about to call out a warning to her friends she felt the air around her becoming colder and the next thing she knew a Windego came zooming towards her and while she was distracted by this one another came up behind, shooting ice into the back of the Pegasus' head knocking her out and to fall for a third one to collect and take to their master.


Back with Twilight, after remembering a trick Pinkie Pie had taught her about how powder and dust could make sensor beams show up, Twilight made it through the lazier grid and was continuing on towards where Scarab and possible Winter should be, going a bit faster, yet still being careful.

Finally coming to a double door, Twilight paused, took a deep breath and lighting her horn was about to open the doors when they opened themselves making her jump back slightly surprised.

"Now why so surprised my dear?" Winter's voice called out confirming that he was here, making Twilight step forward, still on high alert. "What kind of gentle-colt would I be... If I did not open doors for lovely mares like yourself?"

"What kind of gentle-colt are you anyway?" Twilight asked coming to the center of the room always looking around her not finding any mention of the Alicorn who she was meant to be talking too.
"You want to coat the world in eternal winter, you want to hurt the lives of so many ponies just to have things Your way."

Although he still did not come out, Winter lost his 'gentle-colt' act "Well why can't I have things MY way Princess?" he asked sounding like a child. "Before your ancestors came along, I could do what EVER I wanted during winter in this pathetic world me and Discord came across when we came here oh so long ago.
But ever since those stupid ponies found out that was something more powerful than hate and ignited that STUPID Heart now I'm just pushed aside 'Oh there's nothing to be afraid of there's no such thing as 'Old Stallion Winter' '
Well after today Princess of Friendship, they wont be able to say that ANYMORE"

All through that speech, Twilight had been looking around the room trying to detect where Winter was speaking finally looking up to see him in a royal box looking down into the room, and sicking three Windegos at her freezing her in place and knocking her out.


Back outside Pinkie had just finished giving the snowman a 'You're welcome' hug when she started to go bouncing all around the mountain peek, causing an avalanche on one of the lower mountains all together at last coming right back to where she began.

"Oh dear, oh my..." she said pacing "I thought it was only to do with running from Blizzard..."

"Err... want to enlighten us Pinks?" Applejack asked, making it towards the steps.

"I think the others are in trouble," Pinkie said looking up.

"Well then lets go rescue the," Applejack said reaching out to step onto the steps to be stopped by 'Blizzard' who was now blocking their way and shaking his head.
"Hey come on, we beat you fair and square," Applejack said annoyed her tail was being frozen off out here, "Let us in..."

Now things had calmed down Eric was getting a second look at the snowman, at last recognizing it as the same one or at least the same form made one that Jack made and sent to attack Sombra and Chrysalis.

"AJ just come back a bit, slowly always keeping your eyes locked on him..." Eric said staying back and sheathing his sword to show he also meant no harm, remembering what Jack said about snow.

One minute it can be calm and soft and quiet begging for you to play with it. The next it can be ferocious, loud. So cold it stings your face as you try to make your way through it, giving you frostbite and hypothermia.

Doing what she was told, Applejack stepped back until she were with the others.

Seeing his papa's friends who were still out here had stopped trying to get past him, and getting a nod from the boy, Blizzard shrank down to a snowman no bigger than a pony and smiled as he began to lead them away from the palace back down the mountain.

Looking to each other, those who were left shrugged and began to follow the little snowman always on guard for anything tricky.

And speaking of little snowmen...


Suzy was still staring at the snowbaby who was in her bag.

'Hi' it said, jumping out and onto her tummy.

"Please don't do that," Suzy said lifting the snowbaby off her stomach and rubbing it to make it feel better again.

'Why?' the baby asked tilting it's head.

"Because it hurt," was all Suzy said.

'Oh... Ok I promise I wont jump on you any more,' the baby said.

Wait... Said...

"Err.... you mind if I as a question?" Suzy asked repositioning herself, now having the baby on her lap, getting a nod and a happy smile from it. "How are you talking? Or... Or how am I understanding you?"

'It's because I'm two hours old - snowmen grow really fast,' she said puffing out her chest 'And can un-der-stand me because you have some of my papa's chaos magic. Only ponies or people with it can hear us.'

"Can you track Jack better than I can since you're part of his magic?" Suzy asked getting an idea, and a nod from the baby.

Jumping down the baby waited until Suzy was back on her feet and had her bag back on her back, before leading her to a blank looking wall, skipping all the way.

'In there,' it said bouncing happily that she could help.

Not understanding the snowbaby, Suzy closed her eyes and using both her Changeling senses and chaos magic, could detect that there was something off about this wall.

'Jack?' she called out through her mind.


"So where we going Blizzy?" Pinkie asked the snowman who was leading them into a cave a safe distance away from the palace.

'To somewhere safe, while I show you what my papa has told me to say to you,' Blizzard said forgetting that no one can hear him.

"So Jack IS in there then?" Pinkie asked amazed and happy, getting everyone to stare at her "What?"

"Did... Did you just hear AND talk back to the snowman Pinkie?" Applejack asked just to be sure she heard right.

"Well how else would I of heard him say that Jack has something to show us which is why he's leading us away from the palace?" Pinkie asked in her 'It's so obvious voice'.

'But only those with chaos magic can hear us...' Blizzard said tilting his head to the pink pony liking her, even if he didn't understand her.

"Well I can do some very chaotic stuff I'm told," Pinkie said still smiling "One time I found the Magic Mirror Pool and made copies of myself to have more time with my friends but that turned out to be a complete disaster!"

"Wait the what?" Eric asked confused.

"A few months before Twilight became a princess," Applejack explained as Pinkie and Blizzard were off discussing other things on their own, "Pinkie thought it would be a good idea to make copies of herself to as she said have more time with her friends by sending them to the friend she would be skipping out on."

"But... if she sends duplicates, it wont be her spending time with her friends," Eric said piecing it together.

"That's the lesson she learnt after that big dilemma," AJ said nodding "Which included ruining my family's barn raising, Fluttershy's animal picnic to be ruined, Rainbow to not want to have any cider for a week just in case she got double vision and saw more than one Pinkie again, Rarity's store to look like it had a hurricane go through it, and all of Ponyville to want to go to Twilight and demand she'd do something about it."

"Esh... glad I wasn't there for that then," Eric said more to himself then turned to the two before him and got their attention.

"Ok so what is it that Jack wants to show us so bad?" he asked the snowman.

'Papa says that Winter has found out...'

"That you six," Pinkie translated word for word.

'Are the decedents of...'

"Oh my goddie goodie goodness!" Pinkie said getting more bouncy than ever and bouncing off the walls only stopping when, after a few failed tries, Applejack caught her with her lasso and brought her back and asked her what Blizzard said.

"Well..."


'Suzy?' Jack's voice said back in the girls head sounding surprised that she was there.

Looking around to see if anything was coming, and that it wasn't just an illusion of a stiff wall, Suzy poofed up a sledge hammer and then after telling Jack to get back, used all her Changeling strength, to whack it against the wall making a hole for her to crawl through and be reunited with her boyfriend, not minding that his hands were behind his back in hard-ice gloves that were connected to the wall, meaning he can't snap his fingers or hug her back.

"You could of just poofed the wall away you know," Jack said smiling.

"Hey I panicked," Suzy said looking at the gloves "Beside what would be the fun in that?" she said going to touch them when Jack saw this and cried.

"DON'T DO THAT!" and span so he was facing her a worried look on his face.

"Well then how else are you going to get out of here," Suzy asked reaching for them again only for him to dodge her again.

"I don't want you to touch them because Winter put a spell on them, that they will harm anyone who touches them," Jack explained eyes wide trying get her to understand. "And the only one who can get them off is a true Alicorn, so even if you changed into one Suz, it still wont work."

"But..." Suzy said tears coming to her eyes.

"Hey we'll find a way out of here," Jack said smiling and scooting over after telling her to fix the wall just in case something was out there. "Though we might want to find it soon..." he said getting Suzy to look up confused, the snowbaby on her knee.

"Why's that?" she asked sniffing.

"There's a reason, why after so long, Winter is finally deciding to strike back and ruin Hearths Warming and Equestria for everyone," he began as he said what he found out while he was in the throne room after he came here, the two rejects thinking he was hypnotized.

***
As the doors opened Jack still in his slow pace walked forward trying to resist the urge to scowl at Winter who was looking just so proud on that throne of ice.

"Jackson Jones, Sire," Scarab said bowing after presenting the boy to Winter.

"Ah... so that's the pests name is it?" Winter asked not caring in the slightest. "Now Scarab you told me when we met a few months ago, that this boy once made a snow monster that fought against you old queen and Sombra correct?"

"Yes sir."

Then looking to the boy said to make another one, while making it attack anypony or one it sees and bring them to him.

"Why would you want that Sir?" Scarab asked confused.

"Because... that will mean that, since Jackson will be here, the six decedents of the Founders you also spoke to me about that that much power will stupidly come here to rescue him," Winter said Jack being sure to log this into the snowman's brain to pass the note on telling it to attack, but not harm, and make sure they don't get inside.
"And with the decedents of the founders out of the way, and the true ones no longer around since their souls can now rest because they made it up by showing everpony how to be kind to each other this time of year... There will no one left to stop me!"
***

"After the snowman was ready and sent to the front door to wait for you," Jack was saying "I was brought here, I think there may be a second reason why they want you ponies that's connected to me, probably something to do with the piece of Winter's magic I have."

Suzy was amazed, by this. Then got to thinking.


"Whoa whoa whoa...." Eric said going over what Pinkie just said Blizzard had said to her, "He's saying... you six... are the decedents of those founders Jack said he met when he first came here?"

"Er... duh..." Pinkie said rolling her eyes. "I mean how else could we be who and what we are?"

"Ok you've lost me Pinkie" Applejack said.

"No I haven't. You're right there," Pinkie said.

"Never mind," AJ said "Just get to explaining how were connected to the founders please..."

"Well... Rarity is descended from Princess Platinum, who although it was only for her people showed great Generosity, then according to history after the Three Tribes came together showed everyone it by, as Amethyst and Fireopal said wanting those tunnels underneath Canterlot to be made.
Rainbow Dash is descended from Commander Hurricane, who like Platinum, until the Tribes joined up only showed Loyalty to her people, but then showed it to everyone by demanding less food to be given and to help the Earth Ponies in growing their food by controlling the weather better.
I'm descended from Chancellor Pudding-Head," that name getting Eric to raise an eyebrow. "Who only wanted her people to, like me, have the best of times in the worst of times by showing them Laughter.
You AJ are descended from Smart Cookie, who was Honest with Private Pansy and Clover the Clever, when she admitted her feelings to them when they were stuck in the cave.
Fluttershy is descended from Private Pansy, the only Pegasus back then to show any Kindness to anything and everything, even if it wasn't from her own tribe.
And Twilight is descended from Clover the Clever who by using her Magic and with the help of her 'NEW FRIENDS' " she said hinting Applejack at something, "Lit the very first Heart of Friendship and drove the Windego's away."

"Ok got that in my head now..." Eric said coming to first. "So what now? I mean we can't really just walk up and let you two be caught too meaning now there's no way to stop him can we?"

"We need to somehow get back to Celestia, Luna and Discord and tell them what's happened here," Applejack said going through her bag to see if there was anything they can use to get home but there's was nothing in there.

"Oh let me do it AJ" Pinkie said gently pushing the apple farmer to the side and then looking into the bag and calling out "Ah there it is," she said now putting her arm into it and reaching in as far as she can go, a determined look on her face, which turned into a smile as she pulled out...

"A snowglobe?"

"Oh AJ, AJ, AJ," Pinkie said shaking her head disappointingly. "You must remember things are not always as they seem. Especially when it comes to Chaos Magic. Canterlot," she said to the ball of glass as she shook it an image of Canterlot appearing in the dome.

Then after checking everyone was ready threw it at the wall where a swirling, multicolored portal appeared.

Eric and Applejack took a step back cautious of this thing in front of them, but Pinkie and Blizzard just jumped right in.
Feeling that they should trust Pinkie, AJ and Eric took deep breaths and jumped into it too.


Back in the room with Jack and Suzy, Suzy began to speak up.

"Hey Jack..." she said a thinking face on her "You... you remember when we got our powers mixed..."

"Yeah?"

"Well do you think that meant you gave me all your powers," Suzy asked slightly worried. "Your chaos power, and your winter magic? It's just," she carried on beginning her explanation "I've never felt cold ever anyway, one of the powers to being a Changeling, but when we're home I do because of the 'Equestria magic not working here' thing," she rambled on.
"But now we're back here, I don't feel cold but I'm not sure if its to do with what I am or that kiss. I'm only asking because, I've not had any problems with it, but if it means that I've got some of Winter's magic as well..."

"Then he'll either go for you too, or rip me to pieces in anger because he's not getting what he wants, his full powers back, from me - that is If he can get them, as I've said at least twice, there's no way to get rid of it," Jack said getting more frustrated with each word the snowbaby happy coming over to make her papa happy again.

"What are going to do?" Suzy asked worried.

"All I can say Suz..." Jack said after a bit "Is all we can do is wait and see how everything goes."

"Hm..." Suzy said lying down across Jack's chest gripping the boys shirt as she began to shed some tears.

"I'm guess you weren't the only one to come looking for me Suzy?" Jack spoke up after a bit.

"N... No," she said sniffing "But the only ones who came in were Sarah, Twilight, Rarity and Fluttershy. I'm not sure about Twilight or your cousin, but Rarity and Fluttershy have gone missing."

Jack was about to say something when they both began to hear something coming down the corridor.

Quickly, Suzy stuffed the snowbaby into her bag again and shifted into a small bird and flew up to the ceiling to hide there, making it just as Winter and Scarab came in, looking at Jack who put on a hypnotized face.

"Why has his snowman not caught All those ponies Scarab?" Winter asked annoyed cold winds flying around the room.

'Wait... Does that mean there's some who escaped the Windego's?' Suzy thought remembering what Jack said about telling his snowman to bluff fight them.

"I'm not sure Sir," Scarab said walking up to look Jack in the eye to see what was wrong. "But let's be honest Sir," he said slightly nervous when he didn't find anything "It was only just the Earth Ponies. They have no magic except to grow food better than the Unicorns and Pegasi. What could they possibly do against you when they're in your wonderful terrain of the Crystal Mountains? Other than freeze to death?"

Taking a few seconds to agree to this, Winter began to nod.

"You are right, Scarab," he said grinning evilly "Except you also told me there should be another male human, and a traitorous Changeling with these ponies. Where are they?"

'I'll show you where I am you popcicle!' Suzy thought angry that Scarab even had the NERVE to call her that.

'No Suzy don't,' Jack said trying to hold back too, biting his lip to stop him from crying out.

"I... I don't know the answer to that either Sir," Scarab said stepping back from Winter a bit. "But all we need for the plan to work really is the Changeling. The Student of Chaos really cares more about the two females more than the boy or the ponies. We just need to find her, and then we can begin trying to get you your magic back."

"Then what are you still doing here Scarab?" Winter asked sternly cold winds blowing. "And this time... Don't mess it up!" he called out as the Changeling ran out and back down the corridor.

"Hmm... What that stupid bug doesn't know is that this world, although it's very big," Winter said an evil smirk growing with each word. "It's not big enough for both of us to rule. He doesn't even expect that I will turn on him. Oh what fun that will be."
With that he left too, letting Suzy come down a slightly worried look on her face.

"What are we going to do Jack?" she whispered to be sure Winter was gone.

"It depends on how much you care for Scarab, Suz..." Jack said after a bit.