• Published 26th Jul 2015
  • 12,026 Views, 4,202 Comments

The Things Tavi Says - shortskirtsandexplosions



Let me tell you a few things about my roommate, Octavia. After all, she saved my life.

  • ...
46
 4,202
 12,026

PreviousChapters Next
Arranging Things

Author's Note:

Beau sips... glugs at his bottle of cider... then slaps the container onto the table top.

He exhales, stifles a belch, and smiles at me. "Okay. I just gotta ask." His eyes narrow. "Where in Goddess' name did ya get ahold of them samples, girl?" He raises an eyebrow. "And how in Tartarus did ya build up the nerve to so much as listen to them again?!"

I smile coyly, sitting across from him in the table. I twirl around my bottle of Dr. Pony. Behind us, the lengths of the Havaneigh Club lay empty. A few lone workers mill about, sweeping up the dance floor between the stage and where the two of us sit.

"I always figured that... y'know..." The zebra shrugs. "You were dead set on destroying every existing copy of that thang." He fights another urge to belch, pointing my way. "Mrmmff... but now you're makin' mixes out of them? I mean... dayum... they blow my mohawk clean off! But it's just so... so..."

I roll my eyes while circling a hoof in the air beside my ear.

"Exactly!" He chuckles. "You never fail to surprise me, V. Is this... is this an entire set?"

I nod.

"An album?"

I nod even more fervently.

"How and where...?" His striped brow furrows. "You weren't in Ponyville the last time I wrote."

I look apologetic.

"Hey. It's in the past." He waves a hoof. "Say..." He squints. "Were you working with Simon Neighs? I saw the dude in passing and he seemed really nervous at the sight of me. Figured he knew somethin' I didn't."

I shake my head. Then—on a napkin between us—I write a name and pivot it about for him to read.

Beau's eyes light up. "Capricorn?! Hah! So you two made up!"

I smile, winking.

"Well, that's alright!" He leans back, forelimbs folded as he chuckles. "Seems like yer shapin' up in more ways than one, girl! I... I almost wonder how I was ever worried."

I exhale. A magenta cloud spreads between us as I brush a hoof back, toying with my long locks.

"Gotta say. I dig the new look." He smirks, swirling the cider in his bottle. "It is a new look, isn't it?"

I shrug. With a soft smile, I draw on the napkin between us again.

His eyes dart down, then back up. "Well, what are you waiting for? I'm sure your old publishers in Manehattan will lose their collective manure over this." He points. "I ain't kiddin', V. That track you played? That was starlight in a bottle. If you have a dozen or so similar tracks just like that, you're gonna take Equestria by storm. I mean... I..." He chuckles. "I just haven't felt this jazzed in ages!" His hooves gesture. "DJ-P0N3 is back! She's back and the music world's gonna tremble!"

I shake my head.

"No...?"

I write seven characters on the napkin between us. I underline the last one, then circle the entire word for emphasis.

He blinks. "Huh..." He smirks slowly. "Yeah... aww yeah..." He nods, teeth showing. "I like it! Pretty darn poetic, if you ask me." A gulp. "Not to mention marketable. It'll be a statement, that's for sure."

I nod.

"So... are ya gonna take it on tour before publishing? Hype it up?"

I lean back in my seat. After a few breaths, I tap my chin, then write on the last available space across the napkin. I swivel it towards him.

"... ... ..." He looks at me. In a soft tone, he murmurs, "Have... have you even seen her since...?"

I'm already shaking my head.

He gulps. "It's... eheh..." Beau clears his throat. "I'm totally on board, of course! You can count on me, girl. But... but do you honestly think it's gonna draw her out of hiding?"

I swallow a lump down my throat, then nod towards him.

"Like how?" He blinks... and then he smirks devilishly. "You've got a plan, don't ya, V?"

There's a sparkle in my eye. I'm sure of it.

Of course I have a plan.

I stare down at the scribbled lines on the napkin.

But first...

...I have to make a final comeback.

PreviousChapters Next