• Published 19th Jul 2015
  • 957 Views, 75 Comments

A Timber for a Wolf (Comment-driven) - Solarkness



In the horde, there is a timberwolf. He is a leader, to be exact. But how did he get that far? This is his story and quest. (Comment-driven)

  • ...
3
 75
 957

Disguises. All of them, all at once.

Down With Chrysalis's Comment

As you start to ponder on how to find this 'Newspaper', you begin to realize something. Your packmates bodies (or what's left of them at least) are still smoking. Which means that these were all fresh kills, and whoever or whatever did this to them could still be in the area. Watching and waiting for you to drop your guard and turn you into a smoldering pile of ash as well.

Deciding that you'd like to continue living and not end up like your ex-packmates, you make a beeline for the entrance of your old cave. You figured if whatever did this knew about the secret exit, then it could be waiting there to kill off any survivors who try to take it. So logic states that exiting through the way you came would give you a higher chance of survival.

As you exit the entrance you stop to take a breather. However as you do your ears pick up noises. Not just any noises, pony noises. You can just hear the sounds of hoof steps in the distance, as well as a conversation. Deciding that finding those ponies and following them would be a good idea, you take off after the noises. If whatever killed your packmates follows you, you could use the ponies as a distraction for you to escape.

You can hear you're getting closer and closer.

Hard Cider's Comment

Using your new found scent (or lack of one), you make your way even closer to what you assume to be ponies without alerting them since your 'natural' timberwolf scent would have cause them to flee or vomit. Sometimes it's both. 'I should probably feel grateful for that bath Steven gave me, but i'm still kind of miffed since he didn't ask first before throwing a freakin tsunami at me.'

Making your way closer, you see a modest sized encampment with ponies and a few griffins milling about. Sure, it's uncommon for ponies to traverse through the Everfree, usually believing they are taking a shortcut if they lack the foreknowledge of the notorious forest. It's rarer for ponies and griffins to travel together. However, this is not what piqued your interest.

A majority of the caravan appears to be wearing western style apparel with the few exceptions wearing padded armor. Although you usually stay away from civilization('ponies need to build some backbone'), you can recall the map from a not so lucky adventurer.

They probably came here from Dodge Junction or Appleloosa. By Gaea, these ponies and their puns.

As you continue with your covert observation of the caravan, you notice an argument break out between a griffiness caravaneer and an earth pony stallion.

"Weren't you supposed to be the navigator? You said you could lead us through here!", the griffiness asks the earthpony.

Said earthpony gulps, before replying: "I said that I should in theory be able to, but that it would be much safer to venture around the Everfree."

"Oh? Really? Well, just so you know, we don't have the TIME for that! We need to get there as soon as possible..."

I should probably intervene here, who knows? If I lead them through the Everfree I might even get a 'Newspaper' as payment, you explain to yourself and walk out of the bush, forgetting momentarily that Timberwolves are rather feared.

"TIMBERWOLF!", the earth-pony screams and points at you.

"You're not gonna escape me!", the griffiness shouts and charges at you, taking a battleaxe out of a nearby barrel.

You yowl as you realised you messed up, and run away.

Some time later

Did I..., you think while panting, finally lose them?

As you look around, you can confirm your thoughts.

BrownDog77's Comment & undeadponylord's Comment

The encounter has reminded you of something, namely that ponies (and griffins) are definitely going to freak out at seeing your appearance. You remember that you and your pack once went towards the apple-scented, it did not end well.

How could I disguise myself... I know! There is this one shaman that lives in here, she travels in a cloak and *shudder* has taught Timberwolf, Manticore and other creatures to leave her alone. And her aura... Should I risk it to take one o fher spare cloaks?

After dwelling about the question for a while, you decide that you have to risk it.

As you are nearing the shaman's residence, you can smell the magic in the air and it's some pretty bad juju. There are masks on the outside of the house, and an aura of unease hits you. Luckily, you see that there is no light on in the window, so maybe she isn't home.

You sneak around it, and in the back you see a laundry line with cloaks hanging out to dry. You snag one, not even checking the pockets, and take off. You don't know what a shaman would do to a thief, but you aren't going to stick around to find out.

SnapDrakeGame's Comment Part 1

So... the campment knows about me already, there I probably cannot get a 'Newspaper'. Then I have only one choice... the apple-scented ones live near a town, known among the Ponyfolk as Ponyville. I guess I have to go there...

You wear the cloak of the shaman, but it does not really fit you. You finally choose to change your appearance by reassembling yourself into a more ponylike shape. It's a partial success, but you've still got glowing green eyes and you're a little stilted looking. Oh well.

The Rutherford's Comment

As you wander along the path leading to 'Ponyville', you come across a strange crack in the side of a stone ledge. Naturally you get a strange urge to kick it, and it opens into a cavern entrance.

You head inside, where you find an old monkey with a long beard (Why is it that you cannot grow such majestic facial hair?) and a long cloak.

He opens his eyes, and looks at you before proclaiming: "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this!"

The monkey takes out a red cloak from his own cloak's pockets, and tosses it to you.

You mumble: "Um...thanks? But I already have one..."

"I know, but still use this well! It will help keep pony-magic from sensing you and will help mask your natural odor from those without a keen sense of smell. Keep that in mind."

You stare at the red cloak in shock, before looking up and thanking: "Cool! That should help a lot, I never got your...", at this you look around and find out you are alone in the cave, "...name."

You walk out puzzled, and wear the red cloak over the shaman's. You resume your walk to the town, and as you reach it...

SnapDrakeGames's Comment Part 2

"Hello, my name is Pinkie Pie! You must be new here, because I have never seen you before, thenagainIamstillnotseeingyoubecauseyouwearthatcloakoveryourcloakandhey,theoneyouwearundertheredonelooksalot-likeZecora's!", you are greeted by a hyperactive, completely pink (but the eyes) pony in your face.

You chuckle nervously, before telling her: "I have very sensitive skin, even a single ray of sunlight would burn it."

"Hm...", Pinkie mumbles, before resuming her former volume, "Oh, really? Wait, you are not a pony, are you? I mean, I haven't really learned much about it but wouldn't your fur give you atleast partial protection?"

You mentally chide yourself for forgetting that, and make a note to yourself to learn about that later, before replying: "Unfortunately, I was in a fire while I was young and burnt my fur off... It has never regrown. My name is...", you quickly think of a name a pony would believe, "Trojan."

She looks at you strangely, before shrugging and telling you: "Welcome to Ponyville...", at this she looks at the sun and exclaims: "Is it that late already? I promised Twilight I'd help her today!", and zooms off.

You sigh, glad that the danger is over. You enter the town, and walk towards the marketplace, yet another thing you heard about while in Zebrafrica. You never really understood what the difference between a 'bazaar' and a 'marketplace' was, but you had heard both phrases.

You look around, and see one of the apple-scented!

Why is one of them he... wait, she's selling apples.

The apple-scented in question has orange fur, blonde hair, a stetson hat and three apples on her butt.

You quickly hurry to the other side of the market, where a yellow pony with orange hair, green eyes and three carrots on her flank is.

"So....", you start a conversation with her, "My name's Trojan. Do you know where I can find a... 'Newspaper'?"

She looks at you in a strange way, before telling you: "I'm Carrot Top. You can buy one...", but whatever she wanted to tell you was interrupted by a white colt with brown spots on his fur and darkbrown-lightbrown mane and tail bumping into you, causing you to stumble and your head to look out of the cloaks.

Now, you see, while it was vaguely pony-shaped a head made out of wood was nothing one could simply ignore, and there was only one creature known that has it, so it was pretty obvious.

As you stand back up, you see a mob with torches and forks forming. "Can't we talk about this?", you ask them only for them to start running towards you.

You turn around and RUN at the highest speed you can.

Some time later

You hear the hoofsteps getting quieter and quieter, until you finally stop hearing them.

You climb out of the trashcan, thinking annoyed to yourself: Great. How am I supposed to find the 'Newspaper' no...

Right in front of you, in the very same trashcan you were in, you finally see the 'Newspaper'!

You snatch it out of there, still wearing your cloaks and 'transformation':

'Hooded Offender Destroys Fillydelphia in Crimson Holiday Uprising! Crimson Knights At Large!', certainly an... interesting headline.

You read the article about it, and realise something: They are not as afraid of violence as the ordinary pony, there is nothing about them being against other species mentioned... Could it be I have found my new pack?

It could be that all of this is just false hope...

Pentakill Apocalypse's Comment

You continue reading the newspaper, but there don't seem to be any more interesting articles, only confusing things like:

BREAKING NEWS:
HOMELESS PONY KILLED WHILE BEING DRAGGED AROUND TOWN BY STRAY BROWN DOG
HOMELESS PONY'S EYES DONATED TO BLIND STALLION AFTER SAVING BAR KEEP FOR FIRE!

or

MORE BREAKING NEWS:
FIVE GUARDS PONIES, TWO CRIMINALS AND ONE SAXOPHONE PLAYING STALLION DROP DEAD FROM EXHAUSTION, DEHYDRATION, AND STARVATION AFTER RUNNING AROUND IN COMEDIC FASHION FOR 4 MONTHS STRAIGHT. SAXOPHONE PLAYERS NAME MOUNTED IN THE MUSIC HALL OF FAME WITH A RECORDING OF SONG PLAYED BEFORE DEATH. NAMED 'YACKETY SAX'

"I don't get it", you say aloud.

You look around, and see a train station nearby. As you come closer, you see that one of the trains leads to Fillydelphia, your best bet to find the Crimson Knights.

One of the trains starts to move, and you barely make the jump onto the platform behind it's last wagon. You go in, and sit down on one of the seats.

What do you do?

Author's Note:

Your belongings so far:
-Shaman's cloak
-Magical red cloak
-Newspaper (in pocket of Shaman's cloak)
-Mysterious weight in Shaman's cloak

Please tell me if I forgot something.

The next chapter is supposed to be about the train-ride, seeing how you don't know how trains work, in any way or form.