• Published 30th Nov 2015
  • 1,931 Views, 36 Comments

Idyllic Interludes - lollipopchica



It was all a dream she thought... A vivid illusion induced by heartache and magic. Oh how wrong she was.

  • ...
7
 36
 1,931

Chapter 6

-C6-
Despite the demanding nature of Blackburn’s training regime, this summer was actually one of the best he’d had in a while. While his family chose to ignore his announcement, his visit was somewhat salvaged as the Sparkles managed to spend the next day together with strained smiles and uneasy conversation.

The relief he felt as he boarded a train back to Manehattan was unheard of.

Chrystal’s was the first genuinely happy face he’d seen in two days since giving the news when he’d arrived back in the city Sunday night.

“How’d it go?” She had asked.

“Horrible.” The look he gave her said more than any words.

Her gaze had filled with concern but she didn’t mention it again. Instead she took him drinking and helped him forget by introducing him to joys of being blackout drunk.

When Chrystal wasn’t busy with work or Sienna, she would stop in on him and chat. She really was an interesting mare, the more he spoke with her the more he liked her. And Sienna had seemingly blossomed under her wing. He’d never seen her laugh so much before and it made him immensely happy to know that one of his favorite students was finally coming out of her shell.

Though his relationship with Chrystal was something that brightened his days considerably, he still was holding onto the idea that he and Cadance could reconcile. To say he was pleasantly surprised by her invitation to dinner one night was an understatement.

Studying himself in the mirror, he really hoped she’d reconsider giving them another shot.

*-*-*-*-*

Jedzia eyed the mare who was like a sister to her as they settled into their seats. This was the first dinner date they'd had in weeks. Chrystal had become increasingly difficult to get in contact with as of late. Between her career related advances and her newest projects, the darker colored unicorn had been staying busy.

Harlequin eyes twinkled as her face shone with something else her friend was cautious to name. All work her ass, Jedzia mentally huffed despite her curiousness.

After placing their order and falling through the small talk, the pregnant mare pounced.

“Sooo....” Jedzia trailed expectantly. “Does that look have anything to do with that stallion you've been bringing around as of late?”

Dark lips were pulled in a genial smile as Chrysalis’ eyes crinkled with curiousness

Jedzia rolled her eyes as her friend had the audacity to play dumb.

“Cut the innocent act. You know that stuff doesn't work on me.”

“Maybe…” Was the mare's coy response.

“Looks like a yes to me...”

Chrysalis chuckled. “So when do I get to meet my god daughter?” She quickly changed the subject hoping to thwart the blush she knew was coming.

“Soon I hope. Ugh. This pregnancy is-“ Jedzia stopped mid-sentence as her eyes widened. Oh... no... Of all the restaurants in Manehattan...

“What? What is it?“

“Chryssie don't....” Jedzia tried to tear her eyes away from the scene.

Chrysalis’ concern died on her tongue as searching eyes locked onto the image of Shining Armor and Cadance staring intently at the other as they talked about things she couldn’t hear from across the room.

“I told you not to look,” her friend scolded as a tired expression came over her face.

One watched with dread while the other stared on in anxiousness.

“Maybe... Maybe they're just having dinner...” Chrysalis managed as her heart began to sink. She was actually supposed to be having this dinner with Shining Armor, but he had been ‘busy.’ Obviously not busy enough for Cadance though. She thought about the night they’d spent together when he’d come back from Canterlot. Recalling the way he’d talked about her rival as they sat in her home talking and musing to the other.


“So much of being with Cadance was wanting something I thought was too good for me.” His eyes were glassy as he drained the rest of his rum. “When I was with the Guard the thought of coming home to her kept me going most of the time.”

“I can see why you’re still hung up on her then if that’s how you felt. You make her sound like a goddess.” She took another shot as she scowled. “Doesn’t mean I like it though.”

“Don’t do that…” He said with narrowed eyes.

“Do what…” She asked caught off guard by the expression on his face.

“Sell yourself short by comparing yourself to her.” Shining Armor abandoned his drink and pulled her closer to himself tucking her head beneath his chin.

“What?” Chrysalis blushed shocked by his response. Her body fit into his almost perfectly. It was safe, being in his arms.

“You’re just as beautiful if not more so… You have a fire she lacks… She’s a pearl… and you’re a diamond…” His words her simple as he stared out of her apartment window lost in thought as he admired the view.

“What are you saying?” She whispered as her heart sounded loudly in her ear. She shivered when he held her tighter.

“I… I’m not really sure…” He laughed drunkenly. “I think I’ve drank too much.”

“Yea…” She agreed as she pulled back to stare at him fully. “Would you think lowly of me if I said I didn’t care?”

“Not at all…” Shining Armor smiled down on her with a tenderness that made her swoon.

Chrysalis blushed at the thought of the kiss they’d shared in the quiet dark of her hi-rise apartment. It had been curious and soft, ending much more sooner than she’d like. “They are friends I mean...” She stammered as her mind drifted to another recent memory.


A heavy silence descended and the darker mare found herself taking a deep breath. “Excuse me?”

Cadance rushed ahead as she practically fell into her office. “I didn’t mean to make it sound so ominous! I’m sorry! Oh dear! I’m horrible at this! As if this wasn’t terribly awkward before… Chrystal… I… Shoot!”

A teal colored brow rose in a mix of shock and amusement. “Mi Amore, calm down. Just say what’s on your mind. I can handle it.” She wanted to be annoyed, she really did, but watching the other dig herself in this verbal hole was actually quite entertaining.

Cadance took a deep breath and smiled tightly. “What I mean to say is… watch your heart with Shining Armor.”

“Cadance, what are you-“

“No! Hear me out… Please.” Chrysalis shrugged as she leaned back in her seat, allowing the other mare the floor. “It’s just when he left me I was heartbroken. I waited for him for a long time, and then I got sick of waiting. I don’t love him that way anymore, but I do still care about him as a friend. With that being said, I know that he still wants to be with me.” Chrysalis glared as her face heated from a mix of embarrassment and anger. The disdain she felt towards Cadance was more than she’d ever felt before.
The princess must’ve sensed her murderous mindset as she was rushing forward to explain herself.

“Look I’m not trying to rub it in your face or anything.” Cadance winced at her own wording. Shaking her head she tried to think of another way to say what was bothering her. “I know how much you like Shining Armor… It’s just that he’s never gone against expectation and his family always wanted the two of us to be together.” She mentally groaned at her choice of words. “I just don’t want you to get disappointed if he can’t commit to you in the way you deserve.”

She knew the stallion saw her speaking with Faust. She hadn’t meant to kiss him that night he walked her home, but some feelings were harder to forget than others she supposed. She truly had been swept away by the moment and her childhood beau had pulled out all the stops that night. After thinking on it long and hard, Cadance knew she was in-love with Faust and 99 percent over her first love. However, she also knew how much she needed her space. Faust understood that and was completely okay with her needing to make things right between herself and her old lover. “I won’t encourage him, but I’m not going to stop being his friend either. I know I hurt him, but I also know that I can make things right between us. I just don’t want you caught in the crosshairs.”

Chrystal was quiet despite the choice words she wanted to unleash on her counterpart. She took a moment to compose herself before coldly and cordially replying. “I get it… Is this your way of telling me that I’m not good enough for him?”

“What?! NO! You’re an amazing actress and a beautiful mare!” Cadance was offended she had taken her words as such. “It’s just…”

“What, Princess?! Say it!” Green eyes were cold as her face twisted as if there was a stench in the room. The stench being Cadance’s audacity to keep this bullshit ‘good girl routine.’ “I’m not you? Is that what it is? I’m not you so that automatically makes me not good enough?”

“I didn’t say that! I’m not saying that!” Faust had warned her that the other probably wouldn’t understand where she was coming from. That he barely understood.

“Then, pray tell, what the hell are you saying?” This mare has some nerve, Chrysalis thought laughing bitterly to herself.

“That he’s not going to pick you!” Cadance shouted making her blink in confusion. They were yelling?
The fairer colored mare sounded tired and annoyed at her own outburst. “I’m sorry… I didn’t- I didn’t mean it like that.” Faust was right. This had been a horrible idea.

“Oh no, you meant it.” Chrystal was quiet as she let the words sink in. Cadance meant it, and a part of her was scared that it might be true.

“Chrystal… I… Nevermind. I think I should go.” Never had someone sounded so regretful. Why couldn’t she say what she needed in a way that didn’t make her sound like spoiled-brat? Why did everything get lost in translation?

“I think that’s for the best.” Cadance was dumbly aware of the others words as she shuffled out the office with her eyes cast down.

What a mess, they both muttered to themselves.

A frown marred her playful features. Those two were something else, she thought icily. Between the two of them, they were giving her whiplash.

“Maybe...” Jedzia agreed trying her hardest to hide her skepticism. Here they were having dinner and neither mirrored that kind of closeness despite knowing each other for years. She could see the antagonism filling the others gaze. “Don’t.” She warned magically holding the other in place. “I really like this place.”

Darkened eyes snapped onto Jedzia who stared back with a stern expression on her face.

*-*-*-*-*

“Why didn't you tell me you were seeing someone else? I would have understood.“

Cadance sighed just because they needed to have this conversation it didn’t mean she wanted to have this conversation. “It wasn't like that. My relationship with Faust is... complicated.”

“Complicated?” Shining Armor echoed skeptically.

“Yes. I... love him...” The other admitted.

“And you couldn’t be honest? What on earth is complicated about that?” Even if they weren’t together, he had honestly thought that they were better friends than this.

“Shining... I didn’t want to hurt you.” She pleaded. Besides, her relationship had only just recently taken a more serious turn with the writer.

Shining Armor snorted somewhat disdainfully. “Well you sure did a lousy job of that.”

“You left me!” She exclaimed. How dare he try to guilt her for having a relationship or keeping him up to date with her romantic life.

“Cadance I-“

“You left me after telling me you loved me. I waited for you... and then I got tired of waiting. I care about you... I do... but I can't do this with you. I really am sorry for not telling you about Faust sooner, but I'm not apologizing for being unavailable to you.”

He nodded as a sullen look came over his face. This had been a mistake, he realized. Gently taking a hoof, he pressed a kiss to the inside of her foreleg. Cadance's expression softened at the display of tenderness.

“I'm sorry, Shiny.” He leaned over the table and kissed her on the cheek lingering just long enough to convey his apology and disappointment.

Without another word the stallion rose from his seat and left through the back exit.

The chilly air hit him head on as he stepped into the alley.

Cadance was right... he had no right to be cross at her for moving on.

His thoughts turned away from the love of his youth as he thought of someone else. Chrystal was a good friend to him. While most of the night they’d spent together was foggy, he still remembered the kiss they’d shared. Her lips had been soft as they contoured to his own perfectly. She had tasted like the fire whiskey she’d been drinking and Shining Armor had found that he’d loved every minute of it.

She was smart, funny and spirited in a way that made his blood rush. Maybe it was time for him to let go of the past. How could he love another if he was still hung up on the way life used to be? He stood in the alleyway as a strange mix of relief and depression settled over him. He actually blew her off to spend tonight with Cadance. An action he now regretted.

He was pulled from his musings as feather soft hoof prints caught his attention.

Cadance... It was time to officially close this chapter of his life.

“I'll always love you Mi Amore...” He said honestly. She was such an easy spirit to care about, even when she was stepping on his heart. “No one could ever replace you.” Shining Armor sighed as he forced himself to walk away without a backwards glance. With every step, he felt lighter and lighter. Bright blue eyes stared ahead as something told him he'd be okay.

Chrystal Heart stared after him with tears in her eyes.

*-*-*-*-*

BAM! BAM! BAM!

“What the…” Cadance lurched from her sleep as the ferocious sound of pounding roused her from slumber. Violet eyes blinked in confusion as the mare tried to orient herself.

The harsh pounding continued as she stumbled out of bed. Who on earth could be banging on her door at- she squinted as she made out the time from the clock across her room- 3 a.m.?

“Cadance!” Came the distressed voice of a familiar sounding pony. “Cadance!” BAM! BAM! BAM!

With concern burning in her eyes, Cadance quickly made her way to the front door. Was that…. She ripped open the front door to find Chrystal Heart on the other side. Her concern turned to shock.

“Chrystal?”

“You win!” The other mare snarled on unsteady hooves.

Cadance’s heart sunk as the faint scent of cinnamon drifted to her nostrils.

“Chrystal… What are you-“

“I saw you two together!” Chrystal interrupted with fire in her murky eyes. The fire whiskey she’d consumed left her bold and numb at the same time. Everything hurt and yet the mare honestly could care less at the moment.

“Oh… It was never a competition.” I didn’t want to ‘win,’ thought Cadance horribly.

“But wasn’t it?” Chrystal’s eyes were bright with tears as a depreciating laugh bubbled from her lips. “You were right! He’s still in love with you.”

“I’m sorry…” Cadance’s voice was feather soft as she dropped her gaze to the ground.

“No you’re not…” Chrysalis shook her head, as her glare bore into the other mare. “And that’s the best part- you aren’t the least bit sorry!” Her face twisted into a sneer.

“Chrys-“

“You’re a conniving, two-faced, snake!” She spat. “You can’t have your cake and eat it too! You don’t want him, but you don’t want anyone else to have him either…” With every declaration she stepped closer until she was right in Cadance’s face. “And to think… I actually thought you were better than me!” Chrysalis’ laughter was scathing until she dropped her voice into a cold whisper. “You can hide behind those pretty pink looks all you want.” Cadance shivered against the other’s hostility. “But I know the truth!” Chrysalis said in a low voice against her ear. She pulled away to stare into wide violet eyes. “I know that on the inside you’re a selfish little wench that gets off on-“

Cadance’s slap had her seeing stars. She stumbled and fell away, laughing. “The truth too bitter to swallow?”

The Canterlot-born actress looked terribly haunted as she stared down her companion with a shaky hoof. “I think you should go…” Cadance managed. Without waiting for the other’s response she quickly shut her door hoping to escape the judgmental eyes of the heartbroken mare.

*-*-*-*-*

Rarity smiled after her boyfriend released her from his arms. “You work too much,” he whined after he indulged himself in another kiss.

The fashionista giggled. “I’ll be quick, I promise.” She needed to grab some contracts that she’d later had to go over with some potential entrepreneurs interested in using Chrystal as a model for their products. By no means was she a lawyer, but she was expected to sit in on the meeting and these things always went better when everyone knew what was being offered and where there was room to negotiate. Plus, she also had to drop these off to Rainbow Dash, Chrystal’s manager, who would then forward them to her company’s legal team.

Much to her dismay, she‘d realized she’d forgotten them earlier in her hurry to spend time with her boyfriend.

Spike groaned, despite the anxiousness shining in his reptilian eyes. “Fine! But be quick.” He said in a voice that was as playful as it was stern.

Rarity rolled her eyes. “Yes sir!” She saluted with sparkling eyes.

Her boyfriend shook his head as he watched her turn to walk away. With a glimmer of mischief, he reached out and sharply smacked her rump making her jump and squeal at the sting.

“Spike!” She yelped as she stopped to look over her shoulder with a mischievous grin of her own.

The dragon smirked before sobering. “Well…. Get going!” His eyes burned with an emotion she couldn’t wait to explore later.

Rarity’s grin turned sly. Adding a saucy sway to her hips, she gave him a show before she disappeared into her boss’ office.

“Damn…” Spike muttered, marveling at the feminine specimen that was his marefriend.

Once inside, Rarity took the elevator to the third story office spaces. As she neared Chrystal’s office, she couldn’t help but notice the lights were already on. ‘What on earth…’ She knew she’d turned them off earlier.

“Chrystal… You in here?” She called cautiously as she poked her head in. She was the only other pony with a key to this office. Her ears twitched as a faint shuffling could be heard. She wished Spike was with her now. Pushing away her unease, Rarity fully stepped into the office and gently closed the door.

She heard a sniffle.

Who was that? She looked around the main room and saw nothing amiss except an empty bottle rolling atop her desk. Carefully traversing the space, she sniffed at the discarded bottle rolling around.

Fire Whiskey? Rarity frowned. Looking towards the door that led to Chrystal’s private office, she stared hard at the oak barrier before just deciding to open it.

“Chrystal?” She pushed the door open and gasped at the sight. “Oh dear… are you alright?” There was her boss sprawled out on the floor with tears in her eyes. Rarity immediately went to her side deeply concerned.

She’d never seen the proud and fierce Chrystal Heart this way before. Eyes were wounded and upset. She could hear the other groan in what she assumed was irritation.

“Shouldn’t you be home?” Chrystal scolded as she forced herself to rollover and sit up. With a moan she leaned back against the solid wood of her desk hoping to clear the fog that clouded her thoughts and the dull haze of rejection she was still experiencing.

“I could say the same to you!” Rarity shot back reaching a hoof out to push through wild tresses. “What on earth happened?” She’d never seen the other so unsure and pitiful. It felt wrong.

“Go away… I don’t want to talk about it.” Chrysalis defiantly turned away from her default friend. Not only did she feel horrible, but now she had a witness to her strife and it that made everything feel worse than what it was.

“Well that’s too bad…” Rarity stated unimpressed as she forced her employer’s gaze back to hers. She was partly relieved for the other’s stubbornness.

“I’m serious.” Chrystal could feel her eyes and ears burn as more tears threatened to fall. How embarrassing!

“So am I.”

“You’re fired!” She croaked with no real conviction.

“Pffft. Yea right, as if you could survive without my amazing organizational skills.” Rarity had laughed at the challenge. She knew what she was worth.

The darker mare groaned. Unfortunately, Rarity was absolutely correct in that aspect.

“Please, darling?” Rarity coaxed, “You’re scaring me.”

“It’s stupid…” Chrystal sniffed as her resolve to sulk in silence was fleeing.

“Not if you’re this upset about it…”

The tears she tried so hard to stifle bean to fall. “He picked her…” She whispered after a while.

“What?” Rarity leaned forward, unsure about what the other’s words meant.

“Cadance.” She grounded out hating the taste of the other’s name on her tongue.

“Oh! Oh… “ Silence stretched between the two.

“I don’t understand,” Chrystal continued shakily trying desperately to keep her composure.

“Understand what?” The fashionista encouraged softly.

“Why… Why did he pick her?” And somehow Rarity knew this was more than a broken heart talking. “Why does everyone pick her over me?”

Her teal colored head bowed as her shoulders shook and her breath hitched with quiet sobs. Rarity frowned as she slowly wrapped her arms around the older mare. “There… there…” She shushed as her indigo eyes locked onto the concerned orbs of her boyfriend who stood gaping at the sight. “That’s not true…” She tried to reassure. “No mare’s that lucky.”