• Published 30th Nov 2015
  • 1,931 Views, 36 Comments

Idyllic Interludes - lollipopchica



It was all a dream she thought... A vivid illusion induced by heartache and magic. Oh how wrong she was.

  • ...
7
 36
 1,931

Chapter 13

Being an actress was tough.

It was such a critical job. Everything about a pony was on display for the public to judge. Their body, their voice, their demeanor- everything was up for the entertainment of ponies who didn’t really know or care about the artist as an individual. Ponies passed their judgements for the most frivolous of reasons and as a starlet all one could do was smile and try to appeal to them in whatever way they could.

Chrysalis liked attention but she hated preening.

There was so much of her life that she couldn’t keep private, that when she could hold onto something she held it with a vice-grip. Her marrying Shining Armor would be one of these things.

In a small church on the outskirts of the city, the mare sat at a plain bathroom vanity as she tried her best to style her hair with limited supplies. Chrysalis studied her features in the mirror deciding against makeup. The only embellishment she had allowed was a simple white cotton dress that snugly fit her slim physique.

Never in a million years did she see herself tying the knot. Not that there was anything wrong with a pony that wanted to commit such an act, but not only was she getting married, but she was marrying for love instead of convenience. She didn't recall much of her sire, but from what she could, she didn't think her mother loved him. Having a family with a history like hers didn't prepare you for things like this.

She could feel her face heat up as she thought over the whole thing. In an hour or two she’d be a married mare. A thought that not only made her grin, but it also made her giggle, a sound that embarrassed and thrilled her all at once. Fillies giggled and yet Chrysalis could not help herself. She was entwining her life with one of the most loyal and loving stallions the world had to offer.

Shining Armor would be hers in every way that mattered, and she would be his. Her smile grew and grew until her eyes locked with the mirror’s image of an old friend she hadn’t spoken to in a while.

“Chrystal…” Came the soft voice of Cadenza Mi Amore.

“Cadance.” She acknowledged as an uncomfortable air draped itself over the room. There was no way she could miss the other mare’s hopeful eyes and expression, but still the bride was on edge.

“You look beautiful.” The other mare’s face held a tender smile as she spoke genuinely to her old friend. “May I?” She pressed gesturing at teal hair.

Chrysalis nodded cautiously accepting of the other’s geniality. What on earth was Cadance doing here? But more importantly, what could she possibly have to say? How had she found out?

“Twilight told me.” Was Cadance's nervous reply as she moved her hooves through soft tresses. “And no I’m not here to cause problems.” She assured. “It’s been a while since we talked mare-to-mare.”

Chrysalis narrowed her eyes as she felt her heckles rise. She glared at other through the mirror. “If you think-“

“No! Please let me finish.” Cadance rushed ahead apologetically. Stilling her hooves, she peaked around delicate shoulders to look at Chrysalis with bright determined eyes. “I‘m sorry about what happened between us that night. You don’t know how much I regret opening my mouth.” Cadance was serious as her face took a more somber expression and her gaze faltered. “It’s just Shining Armor was my first love, my first everything… Despite us no longer being together there’s still a soft spot in my heart for him. I guess that’ll never go away, but I’ve spent a lot of time with you as well.” She perked back up as a smile blossomed on her face. She spoke with firmness and yet her tone held so much kindness and pride. “You’re a wonderful mare and I’m glad he chose you to spend the rest of his life with. I know you’ll love him and take care of him. He deserves it… And so do you. You don’t have to be strong all the time and I’m glad you found him to lean on. He won’t ever let you down.”

Chrysalis could feel her face flush as she blinked, overwhelmed and completely disarmed by the other’s sincerity. She wanted to be suspicious of the mare, but how could she when she said things like that? She could feel delicate hooves move through her mane, before firm brushstrokes began.

“Cadance… I… thank you.” She managed almost breathlessly.

The mare of love smiled warmly as she worked on brushing Chrysalis’ hair. A comfortable silence settled over the two as both relaxed. All was well until another pony entered the small powder room.

“Chryssie, you need help getting ready?” The elder Black paused in the doorway to take in the scene. She and her sister were a lot closer nowadays, so she knew all about Chrysalis’ arch nemesis. So why were the two seeming to actual enjoy the other’s presence? She rose a brow, but despite knowing what she knew, she still kept her cool waiting to pounce at the smallest hint of discomfort.

“Odo!“ Chrysalis beeped feeling like a child caught stealing cookies.

“Chrysalis… Cadenza.”

“Hello,” Cadance chuckled nervously in greeting. “I should probably get going, anyway.” She spoke to Chrystal now. “I just wanted to congratulate you beforehand.”

“Please, stay?” Chrysalis interjected sounding oddly hopeful.

“I’ll be outside with everyone else.” Cadance excused herself as Odonata took her place behind her sister who still sat staring wide-eyed in the vanity mirror.

“What was that about?” Odonata asked as picked up the brush and continued brushing her sister’s hair until it shone in the light.

“Cadance?” Her sister deadpanned as if to say ‘who else.’ “She… She was just congratulating me.”

Odonata hummed in acceptance.

An hour later, Chrysalis stood in front of her husband to be with a shy smile on her coal features. Her sister, Twilight, Rarity, Jedzia and Cadance served as witnesses to her union on this special day.

Shining Armor couldn’t help the goofy smile that graced his face. Chrysalis stood before him in a simple white dress. A single white rose graced her mane as it was secured in loose waves. She looked so innocent and yet her sensuality shone through prompting all kinds of desirous thoughts in his mind.

This mare was offering herself to him in a way that swore forever. She would have his heart, take his name and bear his children. Despite the plainness of the church and the simplicity of the ceremony, the two only had eyes for each other, repeating the words of the soft spoken official.

“I, Shining Armor Sparkle take Chrysalis Black, for my lawful wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and health, until death do us part."

“I, Chrysalis Black take Shining Armor Sparkle, for my lawful husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and health, until death do us part."

“I now declare you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride.”

The two grinned at each other before leaning in and meeting in a kiss.

Seconds later the two broke apart and were smothered with congratulations as their friends and family fell in on them offering well wishes and support. The only pony who offered empty words was Twilight Sparkle. As much as she wanted to be happy for her brother she couldn’t shake away her jealousy. Shining Armor had a new favorite girl now and the thought crushed her.

“Now what?” Chrysalis grinned at her husband delirious that she call him that.

“Now I introduce you to my parents.”

Silence.

“Your… parents?” She repeated.

“Are you serious?” Odonata groaned quietly with a shake of her head. Rarity hoof-faced as Jedzia stifled a snicker. “His parents don’t know?!”

“Mom’s going to kill him.” Twilight muttered to Cadance as the two showcased uncomfortable smiles.

“Yeah,” The stallion tried to assure. “They’re going to love you.”

*-3333-*

“Mom, Dad… We’re here!” The trio stood outside the Sparkle home in Canterlot. Shining Armor smiled as he turned to reassure his sister and wife. Neither were fans of this gathering. For once the two mares were in agreeance. Shining Armor was an oaf.

The trio steeled themselves for a greeting as movement from the other side alerted them to a pony’s approach.

The door opened to reveal an older mare with a light pink coat and a magnificent white mane. Her indigo eyes widened in pleasant surprise before confusion took over as she noticed a third pony.

“Shining, Twilight- Oh! And…. Who is this?” Skylight Sparkle faltered at the sight of Chrysalis who stood with an awkward smile on her face.

“Hi.” Was her nervous greeting.

“Meet my wife, Chrysalis Black.” Shining Armor plowed ahead despite everyone’s discomfort.

Twilight looked sick as she rushed inside as discreetly as possible. “Daddy!” She moaned.

“W-wife?” Skylight repeated quietly with a dazed expression on her features.

“It’s nice to finally meet you,” Chrysalis offered, cursing Shining Armor for such an awkward meeting.

“Astral!” Skylight yelled. “Astral get out here, please!”

“What is it? Are the kids- Oh! And who is this?” The patriarch was clearly confused. A pale dusty blue colored stallion with a white cropped mane and mustache stared back at the mare. His sky blue eyes shone with question.

“It’s Shining’s wife. Our son’s gotten himself married.” She blinked furiously as she spoke to her husband with a strained smile.

“Oh… Well… please, come inside.”

The group shuffled inside each couple whispering furiously amongst themselves.

“What the heck?!”

“Your son is something else… Honestly a surprise daughter-in-law! I didn't know he was seeing someone...”

“He’s your son too!”

“This is a horrible idea! They hate me!”

“That’s not true! Give them a chance!”

“To poison me?!”

Shining Armor rolled his eyes. "Just relax..."

“Follow us to the dining room, please! Dinner’s just about ready!” Skylight turned to inform the newlyweds as she led them to the table.

After everyone took a seat, Twilight and her mother took to serving plates. At first no one dared look at the other as they ate in silence. It wasn’t till the silence became unbearable that the patriarch of the family finally decided to break the ice.

“So… Chrysalis… please… tell us about yourself?”

“Well my family originated from the Badlands before the great migration brought them to Equestria. The Black herd has lived here for quite some generations now.”

“Really?” That actually piqued her farther-in-law’s interest.

“Yes… Ever since those days my family’s been obsessed with country policy and law.” Chrysalis appeared lost in a memory. Shining Armor nudged her softly, prompting her to blink and turn to him. He smiled and kissed her softly on the neck. She blushed and continued. Skylight raised a brow but otherwise said nothing. “I’m the only exception even though I did study to be a lawyer before I became an actress. Me and Luna Alicorn were actually filly-hood friends.”

“You know Luna?” Twilight inquired interestedly.

Chrysalis chuckled, “That was years ago though.”

“Wait… are you the mare the papers were talking about?” A light seemed to go off in the mare’s mind.

“Mom, they recanted that stuff.” Shining Armor stated with a disapproving note in his voice. “It wasn’t true. Some pony lied.”

Twilight flushed in her seat but remained quiet.

“Right.” Skylight backed off but continued to study her new daughter-in-law.

“Ugh… so how did you two meet?” Astral rushed ahead hoping to avoid another fit of unbearable silence.

“Shining Armor actually saved me from a mugger on my way home from work one night.” Chrysalis smirked as she caught his attention from the corner of his eye. He looked embarrassed to which she giggled. “The whole thing was pretty daring, mortal danger aside.” He rolled eyes as she kissed his scar.

“You were unconscious for most of it,” he teased.

“Oh my!” Indigo eyes widened. “And what were you doing out so late?”

“Mom!” Twilight whined feeling embarrassed. “You’re insinuating things about her honor.” She didn't care much for Chrystal, but even she thought calling her a 'hoe,' lowkey, was a bit much. Her mother was as stubborn as they came. It was a trait she denied sharing.

“It’s fine.” Chrysalis took a sip of water to compose herself. Despite her offense, this was now her new family, monster mother-in-law included. “Late rehearsals.”

“Do you know Cadance Mi Amore?” Skylight’s expression was unreadable. “She’s an actress too.”

“Yes ma’am I do. We’re friends of sorts. She actually came to our wedding to wish us luck.”

“Did you know she and Shining Armor almost married years ago?”

“Mother!” Shining Armor glared at his mother as his father just looked up to the ceiling torn between acting and watching things play out.

“No I didn’t, but that was a long time ago I imagine. They’ve both moved on and Shining Armor is with me now. We're both really happy together.”

“Yes I am. And I’m honored to call her my wife.” His eyes darkened and Chrysalis couldn’t help but lay a hoof on his shoulder hoping he’d calm down. He relaxed if only a little. Skylight’s lips twitched.

“So I see. So how do you feel about Shining’s being a police pony?”

“I support my husband in whatever he does. I’m glad he took a chance and found something he loves.” Chrysalis spoke clear and confidently. She was still so proud of him for finding a new dream and holding tight to it. He made a great cop.

“I bet, you do. Chrystal could you help me in the kitchen, dear?”

Shining Armor stood rather abruptly. “Mom! There’s no way-“

“Shining,” His father spoke suddenly. “Let the women handle whatever they need to in the kitchen.” His wife may have been stubborn and blunt at times, but he knew it was from good place no matter how embarrassing.

Chrysalis looked to her husband. “It’s fine.” Despite being on the receiving end of the matriarch’s third-degree, she understood the other’s reservations. She was practically a stranger.

Placing a kiss on her love’s forehead, she followed the other mare into the family’s kitchen.

Skylight’s face was unreadable as she busied around the kitchen washing her hooves and pulling things out of the fridge. Once she’d placed a strawberry cheesecake on the counter she began to speak grabbing a knife and cutting the pie as she did so. “About a year or so ago, I said some unforgivable things to my son that I am most ashamed of.” Chrysalis stood awkwardly as her mother-in-law spoke. “You must understand, I love my children with everything I am. I carried them both for nine months and I pushed them out into the world with all I could give them.” The cake was perfectly cut. She placed the knife in the sink and moved to grab plates. “We raised them as best we could protecting them from all we could. But even with all the sacrifices and all the lectures and late nights, suffering still managed to find them.” She paused to lock eyes with the mare after placing plates. “My baby boy has suffered more than most and as his mother you don’t know what that does to me. I don’t know you, but Shining Armor seems to love you. I won’t hurt my son again, so I’m going to trust his judgement.” Chrysalis swallowed unsure where this conversation was going. “I’m going to trust that you won’t break his heart or hurt him in any way.” She blinked. “Hurt my son,” Skylight paused and stepped closer to the mare and grasped her new daughter’s hooves. “And I’ll hurt you. Understand?” The matriarch was deadly serious.

Chrysalis smirked, even though she was mildly annoyed by the mare’s border-line crazy over-protectiveness. “Yes ma’am.” She loved that her husband had ponies who cared so deeply for him. Maybe they would come to care for her that much too.

“Now…” Skylight’s expression changed into something genuinely excited. Her son was married! “Would you like some pie?”

“Yes please.”

“So you really weren’t a streetwalker?”

“Nope… but I’ve played one in a play or two...”

“Oh… That must make for kinky ‘alone time.’”

“Ms. Skylight,” she groaned.

The older mare chuckled. “Please, call me ‘Mom.’”

Author's Note:

Hi all!

As requested, Chrysalis meets the parents! I hope it went well enough, all things considered.

I'm happy to announce that I am now finished with this story and that my Chrystal Heart saga is complete! :raritywink::yay::twilightsmile: I'm soooooooo excited! Like seriously! I'll post half today and the other half tomorrow!

Alt realities are tricky and I had fun with this. So expect a surprise or two in the upcoming chapters. With that being said- enjoy!

FYI- The upcoming chapter will have a scene that's borderline rated 'M.' Nothing explicit as usual, but there's no confusion about what said characters are doing. If it is too graphic, let me kno and I'll tidy it up.

-lolli c.