• Published 30th Nov 2015
  • 1,931 Views, 36 Comments

Idyllic Interludes - lollipopchica



It was all a dream she thought... A vivid illusion induced by heartache and magic. Oh how wrong she was.

  • ...
7
 36
 1,931

Chapter 16

Slowly, the mare known as Queen Chrysalis found herself sinking into a routine. Her days were riddled with uncertainties and headaches. There was so much that didn’t make sense and yet it felt so… outlandishly normal. Like a constant déjà vu.

Her ‘friends’ and ‘family’ were unnaturally patient with her she decided one day when her ‘sister’ stared at her unblinkingly for an entire three minutes before laughing at whatever she had said, attributing it to her head injury.

Chrysalis had never been a clingy personality, but much to everyone’s surprise she spent most of her free time with Odonata. It was one of the most amazing reprieves she’d ever been granted. The only pony that seemed disturbed by her behavior was her husband. Sometimes the way he looked at her frightened her. Other times it did quite the opposite. Being anywhere near Shining Armor set her on edge. No matter how much she tried she couldn’t shake the feeling that she’d wronged him terribly and that he was somehow aware of such a fact.

The Queen felt as if she was on an emotional roller coaster.

It wasn’t until the birth of their daughter two months later that everything fell into place.

“What’re you doing?” Odonata sounded distraught.

“I'm sleeping...” Chrysalis had groaned turning over. “How did you get in here?” She asked out of habit despite knowing her sister didn’t believe in privacy bursting into her home on a regular basis.

“Chrysalis get up! We're supposed to be downtown for Shining Armor's award ceremony which starts in…” She glanced around for a clock. “...fifteen minutes!”

“Ugh...” She’d forgotten about that. Why couldn’t she just sleep? This baby was sucking all her energy away.

“He's your husband not mine...” Odo rolled her eyes.

“Speaking of husbands-“

“Don't even! Go take a shower I'll pick out something for you to wear.”

The younger of the two managed to pull herself out of bed as she made her way to the bathroom. She could hear her sister busying around her closet.

“Gosh, you're so big I don't think anything'll fit." Odo snickered as she thought of the heavily pregnant mare. “How about this... no... no... I got it!” She rummaged around a bit more before sighing heavily. The water hadn’t even started up. “Are you done yet? How long does it-“ Odonata stalked to the bathroom door and shoved it open. She halted mid rant when she caught sight of her sister. “Chrissy... are you okay?”

Chrysalis was leaning heavily against the sink as she stood in a giant puddle of clear fluid. “Odo...” she groaned. “I think it’s time.”

Despite Gemma's mundane entrance into the world, the little foal certainly made a ruckus screaming until her face turned red and her mother was able to hold her.

"Chryssie, she's beautiful!" Odo squealed. "I'm going to see if Shining Armor made it here yet. You were wonderful!" She kissed her cheek before leaving to find her brother-in-law.

“Hey baby girl.” The tiny bundle snuggled against Chrysalis' bosom as she quieted. Nurses busied around taking vitals offering encouragement on a job well done. All was quiet enough until another pony loudly made their entrance.

“Chryssie!” Shining Armor exclaimed as he all but fell into the room. The nurse milling about chuckled at the sight as she left to give the new parents privacy. Anxious blue eyes took in the view of mother and daughter.

“Shining!” Chrysalis smiled exhausted and relieved.

“Are you okay?”

“Of course.”

“I’m sorry I wasn’t-“

“It’s okay. I had my sister. Come say hello to your daughter.”

“Daughter?” He stuttered in awe. She nodded with a breathy chuckle.

“Her name is Gemma.” Carefully she offered him the foal which he excitedly coveted as gently as he could. She grinned at the way he studied their bundle, whispering reassurances and offering awkward introductions. She thought she could watch the two forever as exhaustion claimed her and she fell asleep.

*-3333-*

Childbirth was a hell of a thing, but her daughter was one of the most beautiful ponies she’d ever seen. She looked so much like her father a tidbit that warmed her heart considerably. She could stare at her foal for hours.

Right now, Gemma was in the nursery with Shining Armor. The stallion was feeding her for the first time as Chrysalis gladly took a moment to breathe. She was just about sleep when he re-entered her room.

“Hey…” She yawned in greeting as she settled against her pillows.

“We need to talk.” Shining Armor sounded pained.

“Is something the matter with the baby?” She tried to sit up, but he pushed her back down.

“No… Gemma’s fine.”

“Then what is it?” She had asked feeling more comfortable than she ever had. So much had gone away in terms of doubt and fear over the last few weeks. She still felt shy around him, but day by day it was fading. He was her husband after all, and now the father of her child. She loved him, she knew and he would never hurt her. “Shining…” She pressed still weak from labor.

“Who are you?”

“What?!” Her heart stopped. “I’m Chrystal…Chrysalis… I’m your wife.”

“No you’re not…” He shook his head as he studied her. Really studied her. He moved to push a stray lock away from her face. “There’s something different…”

“But I am! Everyone’s said so. I’m your wife, aren’t I?”

“No…” He sounded sad. “You’re not…”

She kept denying him until her emotions got the best of her. Who was she? She wasn’t quite sure… But this… All of this felt too real to be a dream. She had a whole new set of memories. Or maybe they’d always been her memories.

She asked him and it made him mad. And the look on his face as well as his demeanor felt so familiar. That was what she deserved. And the words were out before she could think. “This feels familiar…”

“Why?” He barked angry and brokenhearted. This really wasn’t his wife. “What did you do?”

“I fell in love…” She whispered feeling out of place and yet exactly where she needed to be.

“With who?”

“With you.”

He was crying now and he wanted to know things she couldn’t really answer. Part of her was amazed and then another part of her knew just what to do. There were apologies and hesitant touches. And she kissed him. “I’m her.” She whispered as she stroked his mane. “I love you.” More kisses. “I gave birth to your daughter. My baby… She’s ours.”

He wanted to disagree. “We deserve to be happy.” She comforted. “You deserve to be happy. I can make you happy. Let me make you happy.”

“But who are you?”

And honestly she didn’t know anymore. She was just as much a queen as she was the other. “I’m yours,” she stated simply. “You saved my life and helped me through my darkest moments.” Then and now. “I love you… I’ve always loved you.” She whispered after a while.

“I love you too.” He croaked as he thought of the little foal next door. A tiny ball of fluff with big dark eyes and the toothiest grin. She had given him that. Gemma was someone he’d created with his wife in love. She was a representation of the two of them and she was beautiful.

Blue eyes found green. This was his wife, no matter how different she acted. His Chrystal was here somehow and that’s all he cared about. He smiled and she blushed.

Hesitantly, she leaned forward. The stallion met her halfway. They kissed and it felt like it always did when his lips touched hers.

Bliss.

Author's Note:

The next chapter is the last chapter! Whoop!

Now... you kinda get a choice about how things end. If you want this to end on a high note don't read the epilogue. If you don't care any thing about the other 3 stories at all and you just wanted to read an AU SA/QC fic, don't read the epilogue. lololol.

If you did read the other three stories, and you're down with the powers that be, this ends the way it ends in 'Idyllic' with a slight p.o.v change. Its not word for word the same so check it out for a little twist and added context.

I'll remind you in the next chapter where to stop if you wanted to stay stand alone fic.

Thanx so much for all the support guys! It was a blast!

-lolli c.