• Published 1st May 2015
  • 1,463 Views, 11 Comments

Orange and Cyan - PaperBack



Trapped in a cave with seemingly noway out. Applejack and Rainbow Dash admit they like each other... in a round about kind of way.

  • ...
10
 11
 1,463

Dinner fit for a Princess

Walking down main street of Bozemane six of the mares were moving their heads left to right as PaperBack pointed out various landmarks and points of interest.

“...And those buildings over there are the dorms for Manetana University, and just beyond that in the Museum of The Rockies, and ov--” she was cut off by a certain lavender alicorn.

“Museum!” Twilight said fluffing her wings with delight, “There’s a museum here? Can we--”

“Twilight,” interrupted a orange farm pony, “We are here to find a statue. Not go galavantin’ around in a museum.”

She gave the mare a look of disappointment, then she nodded, “ You are right Applejack. We can go after we find the statue.”

A rumble of thunder rolled genitally into their ears, and well into the ears of the other ponies walking past them.

They all looked to the sky as PaperBack piped up and said, “We should get moving, trust me when I say you don’t wanna get caught in a Manetana thunderstorm.”

They all happily followed the snow white pegasus away from the university, not before Rarity took a few seconds to pull a tasteful looking rain coat out of her saddlebags and put it on. Applejack and Rainbow Dash were the only ones who saw the unicorn don her rain protection.

Continuing to follow PaperBack, they came upon what they assumed was her and Cast Iron Skillets home. Their home was a wondrous piece of architecture it looked like it should be floating in the skies above Bozemane, but it also had an air of royalty about it, like the buildings in Canterlot had. The three floors of the smashed architecture style house towered above them, and on the left side of the house was a tower that stood taller than the rest of the house, only by a little but still noticeably taller. The outside of the house was cloud white, the roof was red, much like PaperBacks mane, as well as the shutters that adorned the windows.

Paperback looked back to see all of the ponies with their jaws wide open. She let out a small chuckle,“ Welcome to our humble abode,” she said opening the red door revealing a wide spiral staircase leading to the upper floors of the house.

“This is a real nice house ya got here PaperBack.” Applejack said

“Thank you Applejack, Cast and I have very similar tastes when it came to the inside, however the outside is where we had to compromise.” she said, smiling as the thought of her husband crossed her mind, “ Now I’ll show you all to your rooms, right this--,”

“You have rooms for all of us?” asked Twilight, interrupted

“Of course we do, both of us come from big families. Follow me upstairs and I’ll tell you along the way.” PaperBack started to climb the stairs as she continued her story, “Like I said Cast Iron and I come from big families this was a problem when we were dating, and when we got engaged because members from both of our families would visit at the same time and many of them had to stay in a hotel. That did not make for a very happy Cast Iron, but he managed to suffer through it for a few years, while the restaurant was being built. About two years after it was finished he had drawn the first plan for our house. Even though he isn’t much of an engineer, or architect but he took his drawing to Jackson and Colt and they looked at him and offered him a partnership, he respectfully declined, weather he had accepted the offer to work for them they offered to fund the construction of our house, which he happily accepted, and ever since then Cast Iron had used Jackson and Colt, to design and build all of his businesses, including the cafe in Ponyville.”

“How many rooms does your house have?” asked Twilight looking down from to the first floor from the second.

PaperBack took a second to think as she put a hoof to her chin, “Seven bedrooms.” she said, “Not including the master room, and the two in the basement. So I guess we have ten… Bedrooms that is. Now which three of you want to be here?” she asked

“But are not there four rooms on this level?” asked Rarity

PaperBack nodded, “There are, but Cast likes to have one always ready for his mother.”

The other ponies looked at her curiously

“She’s a traveling nurse” she said, and they all nodded

“I would like to be as low to the ground as possible.” Rarity said, “I have a fear of heights.” she finished sheepishly

“I’ll stay down here too” said Fluttershy quietly

“I CALL THIS ROOM!” Pinkie said, bouncing on the bed tossing the pillows all over the place.

“Alright then,” PaperBack said smiling at the bouncing pink mare, “That leaves you three on the third floor. follow me.” and they followed her up the stairs. “Here we are, go ahead and pick a room, Now when you are all settled it go ahead and go down stairs and we’ll head for the steak house.”

“Sounds like a plan.” Applejack said smiling at their gracious host

“I call that room!” shouted a certain rainbow maned pegasus right into the ear of the orange pony next to her.

She punched the pegasus in the foreleg, “Was yellin’ in my ear really necessary RD?” she asked glaring at her friend.

Rainbow Dash gave her a shrug and glided over to the room diagonal to the staircase and opened to door to the room, “Awww, man” she said upon opening the door to the room she had so adamantly called.
Twilight looked at the now distraught pegasus, “What’s wrong Rainbow Dash?” she asked as Applejack erupted into laughter

“ Just look” she said pointing a hoof into the room and covering her eyes with the other

The lavender alicorn looked into the room in question, and looked back at Dash with an eyebrow raised, “ What’s wrong with it?” she asked

“Are for real, the room is pink.” Rainbow huffed

“Really,” Twilight looked at the cyan pegasus, “ you’re making a big deal out of the color of the room.”

“Well… yeah” she said

“Oh fer Celestias sake!” Applejack said now thoroughly annoyed with her pegasus friend, “ If yer that upset with the color of the room you can take the one Ah was going to take.”

Rainbow looked at the farmer pony taken aback, “ No AJ it’s fine I guess I can deal with the color, I mean we aren’t going to be here for that long are we?” she looked to Twilight for confirmation.

“I don’t know Rainbow we could be here for a day or two, or longer. It just depends on how long it takes to find the statue.” the lavender alicorn said, confirming the pegasus`s suspicions.

“Hay, you ponies all settled in it’s five o’clock we are supposed to be at the restaurant in an hour!” shouted PaperBack from the bottom of the spiral staircase.

“Yeah guys hurry up!” Pinkie’s voice followed PaperBacks into their ears.

“We’ll be right down, just give us a second.” Twilight answered then turned and walked into her own room and put her saddlebags on the bed, the same went for Applejack and Rainbow Dash, then descended the stairs to join the others and start heading to the restaurant.

“Alright are we all ready?” asked their host, looking to see that everypony was there, “Before we go does anypony have to use the bathroom?” they all shook their heads, “Alright then let’s get to gettin’.”

When they left PaperBacks house there was a light rain gently wetting their coats, with the exception of Rarity being the only one with a rain coat.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Rounding the corner and coming muzzle to muzzle with the storefront of The Andromeda Steak House. Outside the front doors was a large group of ponie. As soon as Twilight, PaperBack and the others were close enough to the door somepony shouted

“Hey look it's Princess Twilight!” she said and the ponies around her turned to catch a glimpse of the lavender alicorn.

Twilight smiled and blushed at the crowd of ponies standing outside the restaurant awaiting entry. All she could do was give a quick wave before she was rushed inside by her friends. The inside of the restaurant was completely quiet, save the rather epic music emanating from the speakers hidden in the ceiling.

Cast Iron Skillet stood to greet them upon their arrival as well as the majority of his staff, “ Welcome Princess Twilight to The Andromeda Steak House,” he said getting to one knee

“Oh no please stand and don’t bow. I don’t like it when ponies bow before me.” she said.

“Oh… Okay. This is Five Star,” he said as a sapphire blue unicorn stallion with a sap green mane flecked with snow white here and there, wearing a white bowtie stepped forward and stood next to the rusty red chef pony.

“It’s an absolute pleasure to meet you Princess Twilight, and your friends as well.” he said sounding excited to be apart of the action.

“Well it’s a pleasure to meet you too, Five Star.” she smiled at the waiter pony

“If you all will follow me this way I’ll show you to your table.”

After they were stated at their table and Five Star had taken their drink orders Cast Iron allowed the waiting ponies standing outside to come in and be seated, many of them saying hello to Twilight and her friends as they passed by her table.

Not long after they received their beverages their food arrived, though Five Star had not taken their orders. Out of the kitchen came a platter of steamed carrots covered in butter and brown sugar, as well as a plate of what looked like apples, from Applejack could see “ Here is a little something to start you all off with tonight.” he said as he levitated the platter into the middle of the table, making sure that the seven ponies could all reach it with ease, “ First we have our homegrown steamed carrots smothered in a brown sugar butter sauce with a hint of red pepper flakes and to compliment that we have sauteed apples and onions topped with a caramel drizzle and oats for some added texture.”

“Thank you Five Star.” PaperBack said motioning to the others to dig right in.

“ Enjoy.” he said and trotted off to another table

“OHMYGOSH OHMYGOSH OHMYGOSH OHMYGOSH OHMYGOSH!” exclaimed Rainbow Dash biting into a carrot,” This is the best thing I have ever eaten!”

“I have to agree these carrots are absolutely divine, darling.” Rarity commented

“They sure are, and the apples are really good too.” Applejack said swallowing the fruit in question.

“Well,” PaperBack said smiling at the fact that they all were enjoying the food her husband took such great care in preparing, “ I am just tickled that you all are loving the appetizers.”

Applejack looked at the white pegasus slightly confused, “ Wait this is just the first course?” she asked

“Yes it is, Applejack.” PaperBack answered her

Once they were finished with the appetizers, and the plates were taken back into the kitchen, Five Star came back to their table with lemon sherbert, “to clean your palate.” Paperback said to all but Rarity, who was familiar with multi course meals.

The next course to arrive at their table was a daisy and daylily salad topped with the Cast Irons dressing of choice the house made ranch. After that was another round of sherbert, vanilla flavor.

While waiting for the main course Five Star filled everyponies drink. Not long after which the main course arrived at their table served on a gleaming silver platter.

“And now for the main course.” he said placing the platter on the table, “Tonight Cast Iron has prepared for you a prime hay ribeye roast seasoned with only salt and pepper.” they all ood and odd at the platter sitting before them, “ Enjoy.”

“That looks wonderful,” Rarity commented staring at the platter greedly, “ I do hope Cast Iron will be joining us at some point.”

“He will,” PaperBack assured her,” He would never give up the chance to have dinner with a princess.” Twilight blushed at the comment.

They were almost finished with the main course when Cast Iron and Five Star sat down at the table.

PaperBack gave him a peck on the cheek, “ Glad you could finally join dear,”

He removed his fedora and wiped the sweat from his brow, “Yeah me too, I thought I would never be able to join you guys, but I wouldn’t miss it for anything.”

He then helped himself to what remained of the roast and joined in the conversation they were engaged in.

“--and I said to him ‘well I have the heart of a lion and a ban from my local zoo.” Five Star said and the whole table erupted into laughter, as well as a few surrounding tables who heard the story.

“Ahh. stallion I love that story,” Cast Iron said clutching one of his sides, “ it gets better and better every time I hear it. Well are you all ready for dessert?” he asked looking around the table, to which they all nodded their heads, “ Fantastic, Five Star, give me a hoof?”

Five Star stood and followed Cast Iron, “Sure”

“I wonder what dessert is?” asked Twilight

“I hope it will be as divine as the rest of it was.” Rarity commented

The two stallions came out ten minutes later bearing nine plates held in the glow of their magic. On the plate was a piece of cake, from what they could tell as the plates levitated their way into the front of the ponies gathered around the table.

Once all of the plates were in front of everypony Cast Iron proceeded to say what it was, “ For dessert tonight we have our homemade apple cake topped with our house made salted caramel and chocolate sauces , and served with local made vanilla oat swirl ice cream.”

They all looked at the cake before them and dug right in, muffled moans of delight could be heard as they devoured their cake.

“My that cake was marvelous darling.” Rarity said leaning back in her chair

“Yeah, Ah might have ta borrow yer recipe.” Applejack chuckled

“Well I’m glad you all liked the cake.” Cast Iron said smiling

“Well dear I think we’ll head home and let you close up.” PaperBack

Cast Iron looked at his winged wife and smiled, “Alright honey I’ll see you at home. Y’all be safe going home.” he gave PaperBack a kiss on the cheek and disappeared into the kitchen.

Twilight and the others got up from their chairs, thanked Five Star for such great service and walked through the mostly empty dining room and out into the rain soaked street.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Reaching the front door to the house PaperBack opened the door letting the everypony else go in ahead of her. All of them, save Rarity, was soaked to the bone.

“Y’all wait here, I’ll go and get some towels.” she said once they were all inside and she headed off to the bathroom.

“So what did all of you think of dinner?” asked Twilight looking at her rain soaked friends.

“Ah thought it was great. Ah really enjoyed that apple cake.” Applejack said

“Yeah,” squeaked Pinkie, “ That cake was to die for!”

Rarity while taking off her rain coat said, “I have to say that hay roast was the best I’ve ever had, so tender and juicy.”

“I enjoyed the steamed carrots and apples, myself.” came the quiet voice of Fluttershy

“Yeah I agree with Fluttershy, the carrots and the apples were fantastic, and so was the roast, it’s even better than my dad’s hay roast.” exclaimed Rainbow Dash now hovering in the air.

With that the door opened behind them, “ Glad to hear you all enjoyed the food and yourselves,” said a drenched Cast Iron closing the door behind him.

“Oh honey you’re home...that was fast.”

“Sautee and Dutch oven told me to go home and that they could handle closing.”

“Well that was offley nice of them.” she said walking over and planting a kiss on her husband's cheek.

*DONG DONG DONG DONG DONG DONG DONG DONG DONG DONG *

Cast Iron looked at the clock that hung from the wall above the door, “ Wow, ten o’clock already… where does the time go?”

“I have no idea dear.” Paperback answered, “ Well everypony we are going to turn in for the evening. Good night all.” she said before going to the living room and turning to the left and disappearing into the darkness of her room Cast Iron followed her after he bid the six friends the same.

They all began to climb the spiral staircase that lead to the room that they would be using while they would be staying there. Rarity, Pinkie and Fluttershy each took to their room on the second floor of the Skillet house while Applejack, Twilight and Rainbow Dash continued to the third after bidding their friends good night.

Twilight yawned, “Well good night girls and,...ahhhhI’ll see you in the morning.” and she took to her room and closed the door.

Applejack turned to her rainbow maned friend, “ Well g’night RD, see ya in th--” a clap of thunder cut her off.

Rainbow jumped and let out a little squeal then landing on the floor covering herself with her wings.

Applejack looked at her friend cowering on the floor. she raised an eyebrow and asked, “Uh… RD everythin’ alright?” she put a hoof on her shoulder.

Dash opened one magenta eye and pointed it at Applejack, “Uh… yeah I’m alright.” she said slowly regaining her fearless demeanor, “ ...Hey AJ... “

“Yeah sugarcube?”

Dash looked down at her hooves, as if she were ashamed of what she was going to say, “Could... I sleep... in ...your room tonight?” she asked sheepishly rubbing her hooves together.

AJ’s eye widened in surprise that her normally reckless and fearless friend was scared of something, though she didn’t know what, “ Don’t tell me yer afraid o’ a lil’ lightnin’ and thunder! ‘Casue I know fer a fact that ya love makin’ thunderstorms in Ponyville.”

“I do love doing that… But this is different lightning and different thunder then what I’m used to dealing with in in Ponyville. This lightning feels like it has more power to it.” she said shielding herself from another clap of thunder.

“Alright y’all can sleep in my oof--,” was all she could say before being tackled into a hug by Rainbow

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!” RD squealed wrapping her hooves around her farmer friend, "Just don't tell anypony I'm scared of a little lightning, okay?"

The farmer mare smiled, returning the embrace, “Sure RD...Now would ya mind lettin’ go o’ me?”

“Oh right... heh... sorry.” she said as she followed AJ into her room.

“Alright now I don’t mind sharing the same bed and all. Just so long as you stay or yer side of it. Got it?” AJ asked as she rolled down the top blanket and sheet getting ready to get in it.

“Got it.” RD said doing the same to her side of the bed.

Applejack removed her stetson hat from her head, placing it on the nightstand next to her, “ Alright then, G’night RD.”

Dash smiled and looked at her orange friend, “Good night AJ.” she said then rolled over and fell asleep.

Author's Note:

Feel free to comment or point out any mistakes or things you are not clear about. Also I am sorry if it feels rushed when they are in the steak house, however if you remember the goodbye party Leather Bound was wanting to enjoy himself. So... I figure the same could be said for here.


Thanks for reading

-PaperBack