• Published 1st May 2015
  • 1,463 Views, 11 Comments

Orange and Cyan - PaperBack



Trapped in a cave with seemingly noway out. Applejack and Rainbow Dash admit they like each other... in a round about kind of way.

  • ...
10
 11
 1,463

Picnic for Friday

A week has now passed since their trip to Manetana, and a week has passed since Applejack and Rainbow Dash found out they each had feelings for the other. Life had gone back to normal except for one small thing. Since their return a certain cyan pegasus has been avoiding her orange friend, and the farm mare can not for the life of her figure out why.

The sun was around high noon when she decided to take a break from her usual farm chores.

As she loaded the last basket full of apples on to the cart she turned to her brother and said, “ Hey Mac,” she said to the red stallion a few feet away from her. “ Ah’m gonna and see Twilight, Ah’ve gotta talk ta her ‘bout somethin’.”

The large stallion looked to his sister and gave her an understanding nod, and she started for her friends castle, knowing her alicorn friend would most likely be in the library.

Her trot to Twilight's castle was rather uneventful, the only thing she would note was seeing Pinkie chasing after a rogue bundle of balloons she needed for a party or some other event she was planing.

The orange farm pony arrived at the castle doorstep and knocked on the door, harder than she should have, and waited for a few seconds before the large crystal door swung open revealing Twilights number one assistant.

“Hey Spike, is Twi here?” Applejack asked him

“Yeah she’s in the library.” he said standing aside allowing her to enter the massive yet some how cozy entrance hall

“Ah thought she would,” she said as he closed the door behind her.

“Okay then enjoy your chat.” he said turning to go back into bed, “Oh Applejack Twilight doesn't-” but he was too late Applejack had already rounded a corner and was well out of earshot, he simply shrugged and decided to go to the kitchen.

After walking up two flights of stairs and down a needlessly long hallway the farmer mare arrived at her destination, and nudged the door open with a loud creak.

“Spike I thought I told you I didn’t want to be disturbed?” asked the disembodied voice of the Princess of Friendship, “ You can go to Raritys if you-” Twilight stopped mid-sentence as she turned around from her desk to confront her guard, but soon realized it was only one of her friends, “Oh hi Applejack, What brings you by?”

“ Well Ah came ta ask ya somethin’ but Ah can see yer busy Ah can come back later in ya want me to?”

The lavender alicorn waved a hoof dismissively, “ No it’s fine… I was hoping a distraction anyway,... but anyway what do you need?”

“Well… It’s about… well…” Applejack continued to stammer

Twilight walked over and put a reassuring hoof on her shoulder, “ It’s okay Applejack you can tell me anything.” she smiled

Applejack took a deep breath and started again, “Well Ah have a crush on somepony.” she said, her face turning light pink.

Twilight hugged her orange friend vigorously, “Oh Applejack that’s wonderful. WHo is it, when to I get to meet him.” she asked letting Applejack recover.

The orange mare rubbed the back of her neck with a hoof, “Ah haven’t asked her out yet.” she said sheepishly

“Oh he is a she…” Twilight said sounded disapproving

“Yeah… but for the record Ah do swing both ways.”

“Oh… I’m sorry if it sounded like I was creeped out by it. I can’t tell you who you can and can not love. ” Twilight said reassuringly

Applejack started rubbing her hooves together nervously, “So uh… Ah came ta ask how you would ask somepony out, or show her that ya like him or her?”

“Why did you come ask me and not Rarity? You and I both know she knows more about romance out of all of us.” Twilight asked trying to ease her friend.

“Cause you and Pinkie are the only ones outta all of us that have a special somepony.” she said acting a little hurt, which she quickly brushed off, “ Pinkie has that Doopie, Dingy fella,”

“You mean Doomie?” asked Twilight, mentally facehoofing

“Yeah him, and you have Flash.” she said pointing in the direction of Canterlot.

Twilight smiled at the thought of her coltfriend, “ Yeah I do, “ she said dreamily, “ But did I ever tell you how we got together?” she asked

“All’s Ah remember is that you had a crush on him after ya came back from that mirror world, or whatever it was, and bumped inta him.” Applejack said waving a hoof around in a circle.

“ Well… yes that true, but did I ever tell you what happened after that?”

“...Well no Ah don’t think Ah’ve had the pleasure of hearin’ that story.” Applejack said sitting back on her haunches.

“Alright then I’ll tell you.” Twilight said pulling up two floor pillows, “ Now after I came back from that other world and I bumped into Flash, that night he and I snuck off to the royal library and we laid there and talked about a huge number of things, I’ll spare you the details. After many hours I looked out one of the windows and noticed that the sun was just starting coming up, he and I spent the whole night talking, “ she giggled at the memory, “ Anyway when Flash saw the sun rising he shot to all fours and apologized non-stop for keeping me up all night. I told him not to worry about it,” she looked at Applejack, who seemed to lost in her own thoughts, “ ...Do you want to know what did next?” Twilight asked shattering the earth mares concentration of her own thoughts.

Shaking her head the farmer pony asked, “ What did he do next?”

“ He hastily kissed me on the cheek and ran off to his morning roll call.” she said giggling at the look of surprise of her friends face. “Then everyday for about two months after that I kept getting these letters filled with love poems that would make Rarity green with envy. and once a week I would get a lavender, and orange rose, which I still do. Then one day I received a letter asking one simple question, Will you be my marefriend? but instead of writing him back, I just teleported to the barracks he was staying at and gave him a long kiss, and said yes right in front of his commanding officers. Needless to say Flash was the one leased surprised ” she said tilting her head in a love struck manner, “ Does that help you out with how you want to ask this mare out?”

“ Yeah, Twi, Ah think that does help me out a lot,” she said walking over to the lavender alicorn and gave her a hug.

“ What else are friends for?” she asked returning the embrace

“ Well Ah think Ah’m gonna go and leave ya to yer studin’.”

“Bye Applejack.” Twilight called after her, “... Oh Applejack, “

“Yeah, “ she said

“I could send a letter to Cadence if you want me to.”

“Nah Ah don’t ta bother her… but Ah’ll think ‘bout it.”

“Alright then good luck with your somepony.”

“Thanks Twi.” said Applejack in complete sincerity, as Twilight went back to her studies

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Applejack left the castle a little more sure of how she was going to show Rainbow she has feelings for the cyan pegasus.

"Ah think Ah’m goin’ ta mail her the drawing Ah did of her one at a time and then… Nah Ah don’t think she’d like that. Hmm… What if Ah ask’ er to a picnic?... Yeah that sounds like a great idea!! Ah’ll go and ask her right now!” and with that she began trotting back to her farm, knowing that there would be a sleeping pegasus in one of her trees.


Once back amongst the trees she cared for Applejack began searching the lower branched for the rainbow colored tail of the mare she loved? cared for more than any other pony? she wasn’t quite sure .

“Where are you ya lazy pegasus.” she said out loud to herself, “Ha, there ya are.” a wicked grin began to spread itself across her face as she silently trotted over to the tree, squared her hind legs up with the trunk and …


*THWACK*


Applejack was showered with twigs, leaves and…

“Oof…” said the cyan pegasus as she landed on the hard ground beneath her. Sitting up rubbing the back of her head and neck Rainbow looked Applejack right in the eye and said, “Awww, come on AJ was sleeping in an already bucked tree. What gives?”

The orange farm pone just chuckled at her friend, “ Cause Ah just wanted to, and Ah need ta ask ya a question.”

Rainbow Dash looked at Applejack with curiosity, “ Okay, what’s up?” she asked sitting back on her haunches.

“Well Ah am havin’ a picnic this Friday and Ah wanted ta know if’n ya wanna come?” she asked confidently, showing no sign of her actual intent.

“Uhh… sure I’d love to… but why are you telling me about this now? You know I forget stuff easily, and on top of that today is only Monday.”

“ Oh trust me you won’t forget it that easily.” Applejack said matter-of-factly, emphasising her point with a firm nod.

“Alright then, whatever you say Applejack.” Rainbow said with a shrug.

“Great, you can go back to yer nap… if ya want to.” Applejack said blushing a little and turning to go to her farm house, leaving a bewildered Rainbow Dash in her wake.

“Um that was weird,” Rainbow said to herself, “ but hey at least I get to finish my nap.” she fluttered back up to the branch she was napping on before Applejack came along and bucked her off.

As the rainbow maned mare started to drift off to sleep she suddenly sat straight up realizing what the farm pony asked her,practically yelling, “OHMYGOSH OHMYGOSH OHMYGOSH!!! AJ JUST ASKED ME TO A PICNIC!!!” her heart began to soar as much as she was,if it were not for the tree branch in her way, “AOW!!,” she descended slightly then exclaimed, “ I gotta go tell Fluttershy!” and she was off to go visit her light yellow friend

Applejack on the other hoof was trotting marily to her family's farm house, her heart also taking to the skies, a huge smile on her face and a joyful hitch in her step.



Fluttershy was outside her cottage, giving a family of racoons a bath, when her chromatic maned foal hood friend landed roughly thirty feet away and galloped to the light yellow pegasus, embracing her in a hug that was both frightening and comforting.

“EEP… oh hi Rainbow Dash! What brings you here?” she asked after being let go from Rainbows hug.

“ I just came by to tell you AJ just asked me out to a picnic!” she said very enthusiastically

“ Oh that’s great Rainbow, is it like a first date?” asked the shy mare

“Well… she didn’t use the word ‘date’ so… I don’t know what to expect.” Rainbow said rubbing her hooves together.

“ She might have asked you to the picnic to tell you how she feels about you.” suggested Fluttershy

Rainbow looked at her and said, “ Yeah you’re probably right… “

“Oh Rainbow don’t look so glum… Oh if she does ask you to be her marefriend you should get her a gift.”

“Like what? I just can’t get her a Daring Do poster or whatever.” she said waving a hoof around, ”She’s not into that stuff.”

“Well you just need to find something she will like, or you could give her something more personal like a feather. “

Rainbow sighed a little, “ She already has a feather, and it’s a primary, and I don’t want to give her another one then it’ll feel like I’m proposing to her… and I am not ready for that… yet.”

“Then why don’t you sneak onto her room and find the one she has and give it to her?” Fluttershy asked

Rainbow blinked at the suggestion her friend made, “ But wouldn’t I just be re gifting something I already gave her?”

“I thought you didn’t notice she had it until we were almost home?” said the light yellow pony.

“ Well I didn’t notice it was a primary til you and her had that talk on the train. That’s when I looked at it and saw how awesome it was.”

“ Then it looks like you can re gift it, and you can tell her what it means, and that you love her.” Fluttershy said giving Rainbow an affirmative nod. “ Oh when is the picnic?”

“Uh… Friday.” Rainbow said sounding unsure of what she had said.

“ Perfect that gives you enough time to get it then.” Fluttershy smiled

Rainbow smiled and hugged her friend once more,” Thanks Flutters, now if you’ll excuse me I have a feather to find, and an orange mare that needs my attention.” at that she launched herself into the air, flying in the direction of Sweet Apple Acres.

Author's Note:

There ya go their first "date", but it's more like a confession of love then an actual date.

Really hope you all enjoyed this chapter, I know I sure did writing it :ajsmug:. Also if there is something you would like to see me do, or not do feel free to let me know.

Thanks for reading,

-PaperBack Novel