• Published 1st May 2015
  • 1,463 Views, 11 Comments

Orange and Cyan - PaperBack



Trapped in a cave with seemingly noway out. Applejack and Rainbow Dash admit they like each other... in a round about kind of way.

  • ...
10
 11
 1,463

Out of the Blue

In the early morning hours, the faint light blue of the first stages of dawn slowly enveloping the sleeping town of Ponyville. Standing on her front porch overlooking the orchards of Sweet Apple Acres was Applejack with her long yellow mane and tail brushed and tied and the end with a red rubber band, and her trade mark stetson hat adorning her head.


The orange pony closed her eyes and inhaled deeply the fresh crisp morning air " Ahh, what a great day fer applebuckin'" Applejack said quietly to herself. She looked over to see the front door swing open and out came a red stallion, twice the size of Applejack herself,


“Mornin’ Mac,” said Applejack smiling at him “, fine day fer applebuckin’ wouldn’t ya say?”

“Eeyup” he said cheerfully and started walking down the stairs off the front porch and started walking to the barn and she followed. Once at the barn Big Mac hitched himself up their wagon they use as Applejack loaded it up with baskets and headed out to the orchard to begin their days work.


It was early afternoon when Applejack and Big Mac were taking their fourth wagon full of apples back to the barn. After off loading the wagon Applejack said “ What’a ya say we break for lunch?”

“Eeyup.” he said, wiping sweat off his brow.

Walking back to the house Apple Bloom came running up to her big sister and brother

“Applejack there you are, there’s someone at the house ta see ya.” she said, as she caught her breath.

“ Who is it?” Applejack asked

“She didn’t say, just that she really needs ta talk ta ya.”

“Alright then” Applejack said with a shrug, and followed her sister to their farm house.




~ ~ ~ ~ ~


On the front porch stood a white pegasus mare with a tail of red, like that of a fully ripe apple, the end freckled with black, her cutie mark a quill and a book opened up to a blank page adorned her flank, and flowing down from her head the same shade of red with a jet black streak running from above her left eye the full length of her mane.

“You must be Applejack,” she said cheerfully “my name is PaperBack Novel and I am currently writing a story on Princess Twilight, a biography if you will, about her becoming the Princess of Friendship and I am going around to all of you and getting a look into the lives of the ponies behind the throne, so to speak.” she smiled “ Do you have a few minutes, however if you are busy I can come back another time.”

Applejack looked at her with a look of curiosity plastered on her face ‘Yeah, sure Ah got a few minutes, we were just commin’ in for lunch why don’t ya join us Miss. . . uh. . . Novel was it?”

“Oh no please call me PaperBack, Miss. Novel is my sister.” she said with a small chuckle

“Alright then PaperBack come on inside and Ah’ll fix us up some lunch.” said Applejack with a small smile and lead the way into the house.

They all followed Applejack into the farmhouse and into the kitchen where Big Mac and Apple Bloom sat together on one side of the table and PaperBack sat at the head, where she could see almost the entire first floor, with the exception of the front door.

Applejack walked into the pantry and came out with a small basket of apples in her mouth and set it on the table.

“Apple Bloom” said Applejack

“Yes, Applejack” she squeaked

“Would you go to the cellar and bring up some cider, please?” asked Applejack

“Sure, be right back” and she trotted off to the outside

“So, did Twilight ask you to write this biography or are you writing it because she is the newest princess?” Applejack said with a smile.

PaperBack looked at her, smiled and said “Princess Celestia asked me to write a biography about her, with her permission of course. Twilight and I met for lunch yesterday, and I must say she is really quite the character. What I found most interesting is the way she talks about you, her friends, with such admiration and passion I just had to know more about you all. So her and I talked for hours after lunch and she told me of some of your adventures, I particularly enjoyed the various Discord encounters. However I am not here to for that, I’m here to see what makes Applejack tick, what makes you, well you.” she finished as Apple Bloom came back in from the outside.

“What y’all been talking ‘bout?” she asked as she handed Applejack the bottles of cider

“Well PaperBack, here, is writin’ a book ‘bout Twilight, me and the others.” Applejack said smiling at her little sister

“Wow, cool Ah can’t wait till Ah get asked questions ‘bout mah friends” she said smiling up at her big sister.

PaperBack looked at the small filly and smiled, then looked up to see Applejack putting several plates on the table topped with all manner of apple food products: apple fritters, apple pie, apple dumplings, apple crisp, apple cobbler, there seemed to be a never ending barrage of plates being set on the table.


“Is all of this really necessary just for lunch?” she asked a concerned look on her face as her eye traveled around the table at all of the tantalizing options in front of her.


“ I take it yer not around farms much?” asked Applejack taking a bite out of an apple fritter


“Well no I lived in Manetana most of my live, and yes I lived by farms and walked by them all of the time but no I was not raised on one.”

“So yer from Manetana huh,” Applejack asked in amazement “Ah have always wanted to visit, I hear it’s absolutely beautiful this time of year especially Glacier Park.”

“Yes Manetana is gorgeous this time of year, indeed Glacier is also very beautiful but I’ve never been even after all these years living there and traveling all of Equestria, I am sure I’ll make it there someday.” PaperBack finished and looked down at her plate, a solemn look in her eyes, Applejack walked over and put a hoof on her shoulder, PaperBack looked up into her eye and shook her head “never the less my work keeps my mind and the rest of me busy. I normally don’t have time to think about home very much, but don’t let my new found homesickness ruin this lovely lunch you have laid out before us.” she finished forcing a smile.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Author's Note:

I certainly hope you all enjoyed the first installment of this story. Yes I do live in Montana.

Please feel free to leave feed back, thanks for reading.

-PaperBack