• Published 18th Apr 2015
  • 380 Views, 2 Comments

Melody of Nightmares - NightStream



Alicorns were treated much differently than they are now. Here is a story of one such tale.

  • ...
 2
 380

Chapter 10: Separation

As Nightmare and Melody turned around, they heard voices coming from in front of them.

“Hello, is anypony out there?!”

Nightmare and Melody both shared a quick glance at each other and Nightmare quickly used her magic to cover her wings.

“Over here!” Nightmare replied back.

There was talking that could be heard but neither of them could hear what was being said. Then two unicorns wearing weird looking armor appeared in front of them. Then one of them opened their face plate to talk to them.

“Well I didn’t exactly expect anypony out here during a coming blizzard.”

“What?!”

“Yeah, blizzards are common this time of year, is something the matter?”

“Yeah, a” Nightmare didn’t know how to respond but decided to go with the first thing on her mind “friend of mine fell from the bridge and teleported himself into a small cave along the wall.”

“Well I’m sorry to say but he is going to be staying there until at least tomorrow.” The unicorn that was talking noticed Nightmares reaction to him saying that. “I take it he is a close friend of yours?”

“I’ve known him since I was just a filly.”

“Well come on back to the city, but we will have to stop at our camp first.”

Nightmare nodded, while Melody was hesitant. Nightmare first tried to put a wing around her then remembered that would be bad, so she put a hoof on her shoulder and nodded at her.

“Hey, Starlight, why do you think she has a pegasus with her?”

“I don’t know Thorn, but for now let’s see what is going on with them. Something about the black one doesn’t sit right with me.”

Starlight looked behind himself as Nightmare and Melody were walking with them, and whispered back to Thorn “I know what you mean.”

Soon the four of them had reached the camp that had been for the two unicorns.

“Well it isn’t much, but this is the best we can do till tomorrow morning.” Stralight turned towards Nightmare and Melody “Well I should ask your names since we will be like this for a bit, my names Starlight buddy here is called Thorn.”

Starlight was a cyan clue unicorn with white spots on his coat, Thorn on the other hand looked like a green black mix of coat and mane.

“It is nice to meet you, my name is” She paused before answering “Nightmare.”

“Well, the name fits but what about your friend there?” Thorn narrowed his eyes a little.

Melody was hiding behind Nightmare the entire time and was slightly shaking “Her name is Midnight Melody, excuse her current state she is very shy around new ponies she never met before.”

“Well that is fine and all but, what is a unicorn and a pegasus doing together?”

Nightmare quickly came up with an idea that she would explain later “She is my servant, while she isn’t a very good flyer I keep her around because of her singing.”

Both Thorn and Starlight raised an eye at that “Oh she’s a singer is she? How about a song then.”

Melody gave a quick glare at Nightmare before looking at the two then burying her face in Nightmares back.

Starlight just smirked “Well that’s a shame I guess, also I know you wouldn’t want to hear this but I think your friend who fell most likely won’t survive the night.”

Nightmare glared at him coldly “What makes you say that?”

Starlight put his hooves in front of him “Hey, this isn’t the first time something like this has happened during a blizzard. All I am saying is just don’t get your hopes up too much ok.”

Nightmare just glared at him a little more then moved away from them with Melody close behind. When they were out of earshot Melody got in front of Nightmare.

“Excuse my language, but what the hell was that about? Servant are you insane?” Melody whispered to Nightmare.

“It was the first thing that came to mind in this situation, I mean most unicorns are high and mighty like that. Besides if I said you were my friend they most likely would have gotten suspicious.”

Melody put her hoof on her face and sighed “At least you had a good reason, also they give me the creeps. Something doesn’t feel right about those two, I think they are already suspicious of us.”

“Time will tell, besides it is getting late we should get some sleep.” Melody nodded at this and curled up and started to fall asleep, Nightmare was close by and fell asleep as well.

After an hour had passed and Thorn and Starlight made sure the others were asleep did they talk to each other, but kept their voices low to make sure they didn’t wake them up.

“You know, these two are strange. I have never seen a unicorn like that in the city or on patrols.”

“I know what you mean, Starlight. Think it might be a unicorn from a distant land?”

“Maybe, but why have a pegasus with her even if it a servant.” Starlight put a hoof on his chin “even if she is from a distant land it doesn’t add up at all. We should take them to the king and queen to see what should be done.”

“Are you insane?!” Thron’s eye grew wide but kept his voice low in his exclamation “The king would most likely have the unicorn thrown in a dungeon and have the pegasus try and live through a blizzard.”

“That is if he is in a bad mood, haven’t you noticed lately he is just bored out of his mind. He doesn’t go through his walks around the city anymore. It is if he feels tired.”

“True, I mean you are correct about that. The queen on the other hoof might be more lenient in listening to their story on wherever they came from.”

“We should take it easy around them anyway, they might try something funny. I mean did you see how she glared at me when I told her that her friend is better off dead than trying to rescue him.”

“I did, it almost seemed like she would purposely throw us down the gorge to get him.” Thorn shuddered at that thought. “I mean she couldn’t be older than her mid-twenties.”

“We can deal with this when we get back to the city, it’s late and the storm isn’t going to be going down any time soon.”

Thorn nodded and soon they feel asleep as well. True enough the storm outside the camp had grown and the howling of the wind picked up. Nightmare had bad dreams imagining what would happen to Nightstream if he wasn’t going to make it, but she assured herself that he had been through much worse than a blizzard. That didn’t calm her worry about his supposed “other half”.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment