• Published 18th Apr 2015
  • 378 Views, 2 Comments

Melody of Nightmares - NightStream



Alicorns were treated much differently than they are now. Here is a story of one such tale.

  • ...
 2
 378

Chapter 2: A new face

Nightmare was walking in town with her head held low, until she got pushed into a wall and surrounded by the other kids.

“So what brings you out so early today Nightmare?”

“I just decided to take a walk around town, why is that bad?” Nightmare said with a fake smile.

“Oh please, you are just thinking on how you could control this entire town with a single spell. So why don’t you do it already then, I mean I thought alicorns were all powerful or was that a lie.”

“Ruby why don’t you….” Before Nightmare could say anything else a rock was thrown at her right above the eye. “Ow, did you have to throw stones again.”

“Well, I am just trying to make sure you don’t do anything…..”

Then from afar there was a loud voice that said “STOP THIEF”

A much younger voice shouted back “BUT I PUT THE BITS ON THE COUNTER, I DIDN’T STEAL ANYTHING.” Then came crashing into the group of kids was a dark blue alicorn. Looking as he got up he found Nightmare bleeding above the eye and assumed the others hurt her.

“Are you alright?”

Nightmare was surprised and nodded yes. “Good now le……” Looking behind himself he saw the shop owner coming. “Uh oh, I gotta go. I’m sorry for the short introduction.”

“THERE IS THE THEIF, AND HE HAS AN ACCOMPLICE AS WELL.”

“Come with me.” Then the blue alicorn grabbed Nightmares hoof and brought her with him.

“Why are you running away, shouldn’t you just go back and say sorry?”

“Well about that…..” Sheepishly he continued “I sorta left the money on the counter because it was taking too long. I think he saw me leaving and the money was not there and he instantly thought I was a thief. And now he thinks you are in on it, so I’m sorry for dragging you into this.”

Nightmare sighed and said “Well I must say that this is going to be a weird day today. Hold on let me do something to help this along.” Nightmare’s horn then lit up and she used some magic. “Alright go left.”

“But they can see….”

“Just trust me.”

“Whatever you say.” He then went left and suddenly stopped when she grabbed ahold of his wings. Then the shopkeeper turned right and followed, Nightmare and himself. “Um, what is going on?”

“Well I can use Illusion magic perfectly. So all I did was create copies of us, Look down at your shadow.” He then looked down at himself and noticed no shadow.

“What the hay, where is my shadow?”

Nightmare giggled “Well all I did was made your shadow take your form and shape, and from there we turn invisible while our shadows are being chased.”

“If we are supposed to be invisible, then why can I see you and you can see myself.”

“Well we are invisible to every pony else, not each other.”

“Oh, I guess that makes sense. Well anyway follow me.”

“I don’t think I should.”

“Just trust me as I trusted you.”

Nightmare rolled her eyes and followed. Eventually their shadows returned and she found herself going into an old house. He took her towards the house and inside it looked completely different. “Wow.” She said with wide eyes, while he just simply smiled at her.

“Well this is.” He suddenly hit himself in the face with his hoof “All this time and I forgot to ask your name.”

“Oh um, I am Nightmare.”

“Nightstream.”

“Well nice to meet you”

“Same to you.”

“Um, Nightstream what are you doing here anyway?”

“Well I needed supplies for a journey I am going on.”

“Where are you going?”

“Someplace away from here. I don’t know if my journey will end though.”

“So you are going someplace away from here all alone?”

“Yes, now I am sorry for getting you in trouble but….. hold on let me get that for you.” He then went over and used his magic to close up the wound above her eye. “There all better, now I assume your parents are worried about you after hearing about this.”

“I don’t have parents, I grew up in a type of foster home.”

“Then you guardian is worried about you.”

“I ran away.”

Nightstream looked only a little shocked at this. “Is it because you’re an alicorn is why you left?”

“That easy to guess?”

“I did the same thing, except I was forced to run away.”

“Why?”

“I will not speak of it now, it hurts too much to talk about.” Nightstream said as a tear welled up in his eye. He quickly wiped a hoof over his eye. “So what are you going to do now Nightmare?”

“Well would it be alright if joined you on your journey?”

“Are you sure about that, because I am going to places that are dangerous.”

“Yes, because you would need somepony to keep an eye on you and make sure you don’t hurt yourself.” She then went over and hugged him which he didn’t know what to do. “Also I want to thank you for helping me back there, I got bullied a lot. Every day I left my house the other kids would come find me and say mean things and sometimes throw rocks or stones at me. You are the first one besides my guardian who cared for me.”

“Well, you’re welcome I guess. But this is a little awkward for me you know, so if you could let go please.” To which she didn’t for a while because she started to cry in his shoulder. He then finally decided to hug her back and put his wings around them. “Don’t cry anymore Nightmare, I will always be there for you. I will always have your back and you will have my back ok?”

Sniffling she said “Yeah, thank you Nightstream.”

“All better now?”

“Yes.”

“Well let’s head out tomorrow then, because I think we should get to know each other a little more since we are going to be traveling together from now on.”

Nightmare and Nightstream became good friends as they learned more about each other, before Nightmare could ask what Nightstream’s parents were like he fell asleep. Soon she fell asleep as well, she slept next to him because she felt safe by his side. Morning came and Nightstream was the first one up, while he at first was nervous that Nightmare was sleeping next to him he decided it may have been for the best. He soon made breakfast and got her up.

“So how did you sleep Nightmare?”

“I slept well, the best sleep I had in a while.”

“Well you did kind of use me as a pillow.”

Nightmare blushed a little “Sorry about that.”

“Don’t worry, I didn’t mind.”

Breakfast soon came and went, then they were outside the city and Nightmare took one last look behind her. She sighed and turned back around to Nightstream waiting for her, she nodded and they got ready for what was to come.