• Published 18th Apr 2015
  • 379 Views, 2 Comments

Melody of Nightmares - NightStream



Alicorns were treated much differently than they are now. Here is a story of one such tale.

  • ...
 2
 379

Chapter 9: The next day

Eventually Nightmare looked over Nightstream and saw how badly he was injured. She reached with a hoof to feel the injuries on his face when she stopped short. She grimaced as she remembered that she did that to him. She then stood up and flew in the sky.

“Shall we go for a quick flight before going to sleep?”

“Yeah.” As soon as Nightstream opened his wings to fly, he regretted it. Wincing from the pain he quickly folded his wings back. “Well looks like I won’t be able to fly for a while.” He said with a sheepish grin.

Nightmare rolled her eyes but had a smile on her face. “Well in time you can fly again. But for now I will help you until you are better.”

Nightstream then yawned out loud “Well I don’t know about you but I want to go back to sleep.”

Nightmare landed next to him and then remembered she had not slept well. “There is something I need to tell you, I”

“It can wait for both myself and Melody to hear in the morning.”

Nightmare just sat there for a bit until she finally said something “Well it is something I would rather speak to you alone about, something private.”

Nightstream then got a little worried about what it was. “What exactly?”

“For starters I am afraid I might become like “that” again as I did before.” Nightstream opened his mouth to say something but Nightmare continued “Then seeing you like that only made my fear greater. I want to know if you will stay by my side even if I become like that.”

“I can see why you are afraid, but I know you don’t like to hear this. But I think that is a part of you, a side of you that makes you dangerous but under careful treatment can become something you would no longer fear. Plus you don’t need to fear that I won’t be scared off by something like that. I got these injuries trying to snap you back to yourself.”

“But I don’t want this as a part of myself! I would rather have it leave me than stay with me!” Nightmare started to shed a few tears at hearing this. “I don’t want a side to myself that is like this, I only want to be kind not something that takes pleasure in hurting others.”

“It is a part of you regardless I’m afraid, but it will control you if you think like that. Only if you start thinking about hurting somepony else or something else will it control you.” Nightstream then wiped her tears away “Only when you think you are a bad pony will you become one, you need to remember you are not a bad pony.”

“You almost sound like you went through something like this.”

Nightstream then looked down and walked into the cave “That is because I have.”

Nightmare looked at him before joining him. “Really?”

“I know you are curious about it, but that is something I will not talk about openly. Now enough of this bad stuff, we need to sleep.”

Nightstream then lied down and started to close his eyes when he felt Nightmare lie down next to him. He cracked a smile at this and closed his eyes to let sleep take over. Nightmare then kissed him on the cheek and wished him good night before falling asleep herself.
Morning then came and Melody was up before the others. When she opened her eyes and looked up she saw Nightmare and Nightstream lying next to each other. Melody couldn’t help but smile at the sight. She stretched out her wings shortly and went and looked out the cave. Covering the road was a thin layer of snow. Then she heard rustling from behind her and saw that the others had woken up now.

“Morning you two, sleep well?” Melody said walking over and sitting back down opposite form them.

Nightstream smiled “You could say that.”

“Well from what I see is that you two had told each other how you felt.”

“Something like that.”

Nightmare stifled a yawn and used her magic to bring out some supplies to make breakfast. As she was preparing it Melody wanted to talk with Nightstream.

“So what all happened last night?”

q“A lot of things. First is that I won’t be flying any time soon. I tried last night and well, as soon as I opened them up pain spread through my body. Some of the other things that happened are better up to Nightmare saying.”

“Like how you two were in love?”

“Well yeah that happened.”

“So how did it go?”

“You really want me to explain how it went?” Melody answered by giving a mischievous grin. Nightstream rolled his eyes and recounted what happened during the night after Melody went off to sleep. Melody couldn’t control the urge to laugh when he heard about when they kissed.

“Why are you laughing?” Nightstream said while blushing.

“Because of the fact that you didn’t know how to react” she replied with in between fits of giggling.

Nightmare chimed in “And the expression on your face was priceless as well.”

“Really, you as well?”

“Well I did laugh as well remember.”

“I know that, but I smiled because you”

“Well anyway let’s eat.” Nightmare cut him off then brought out the breakfast she made.

They ate in silence for a while and when they were finished Melody broke the silence.

“It is snowing outside.”

“Well this will make traveling a bit harder, but thankfully we won’t be going any higher up the mountain.”

“That is good to hear, considering you wings are still sore.”

Soon enough they got all packed up and left the cave. The snow wasn’t coming down in great volumes, but falling slowly. As they were walking though the wind would occasionally pick up and send flurries down onto them. They then came across a gorge with a wooden bridge.

“I hope this will hold together, because that is one big drop.” Nightmare said.

“Well let’s go across then, Nightmare go halfway and check how stable it is.”

Nightmare nodded as she worked her way to the midpoint. She then waved her hoof for Melody and Nightstream to come across. Melody went first and got halfway as well and Nightstream made his way across. When he got halfway the wind picked from down below and rocked the bridge. Nightstream steadied himself in the center and slowly made his way across. When he got a little farther he heard a snap from the bridge when the wind picked. He turned around and noticed the snap came from the center and the bridge fell with him. When he fell he opened his wings to carry him towards the rock wall, but instead of landing on it he slammed into the wall. He then used his magic before going unconscious to put himself inside a cave along the wall. Nightmare saw where he landed and was about to jump down to get him when the wind started to pick up in intensity. She grew frustrated when it happened and was preparing to teleport to him when Melody nudged her.

“What is it?” She said over the howling wind.

“We should find shelter before going to get him. He is safe enough, I think wind will die down in a few hours.”

“Good, I don’t want to wait for him any longer than needed.”

I will get him to talk about his “other half” he mentioned, that has me worried.”