• Published 18th Apr 2015
  • 379 Views, 2 Comments

Melody of Nightmares - NightStream



Alicorns were treated much differently than they are now. Here is a story of one such tale.

  • ...
 2
 379

Chapter 8: Acceptance

Soon Melody and Nightstream made their way towards the mountains. It took them longer than it normally would have because of how injured Nightstream was but Melody was happy to help him. Days had finally gone by when they made it to the Mountains and Nightstream’s condition had barely improved. When they started to make the trek up the mountain Nightstream collapsed and his breathing started to grow heavy, Melody was panicking until she heard a familiar voice.

“I will help him, there is a cave nearby.”

Melody was happy to finally see Nightmare, but her smile quickly vanished when she noticed Nightmare’s face. Nightmare had an empty expression on her face, as if she didn’t know them. Melody followed Nightmare and saw the cave. Melody looked upon Nightmare once more and saw the bags under her eyes as well. Time had passed as Nightmare was helping heal Nightstream. Night had come and Melody had started to grow tired.

“Go and sleep, I will keep watch.”

“What about you, you look like you haven’t slept in” Melody was stopped short when she saw the look Nightmare gave her. Melody then wanted to talk with Nightmare, until Nightmare turned around to look out the cave.

“Nightmare I” Melody then yelped as Nightmare fixed her with a dark stare that said shut up and go to sleep. Melody gave up and went to sleep.

When Nightmare saw her fall asleep she wept.

“I don’t want to push her away, I know she wants to help but I don’t have the courage to face them yet. I wish there was some way I could just make myself forget what I did.” Nightmare hugged herself and wanted somepony to talk to about this, but the one she wanted to talk to the most was lying in the cave near death. Days turned into weeks and Nightstream started to get better, but he didn’t wake up yet. Nightmare still had the same empty expression on her face, Melody tried many times to break Nightmare out of her silence but nothing worked. Melody didn’t know what to do, so one night before she went to sleep she went outside and looked up at the stars. She then started to sing, it was a song about when Nightstream had made the sky bright and beautiful. As she was singing she was crying as well, because she knew how Nightmare felt. She remembered how Nightmare felt that night and Melody wanted Nightmare to remember how she felt. When she was done she noticed somepony sitting next to her. Nightstream had heard her song and was crying as well.

Melody hugged him tightly and he chuckled,“Thank you for giving me those memories back Melody.” He embraced Melody “Thank you my friend.”

“Are you feeling alright?” Melody then broke of the hug and looked him over.

“Sore but in time I should be better.”

“Good, I am going to go to sleep goodnight.”

“Goodnight.”

Nightstream watched her go to sleep and turned back to the night sky. He then closed his eyes and used his magic to make the stars again glow like diamonds in the sky. He felt somepony come next to him, he opened his eyes and found Nightmare sitting next to him with her head on his shoulder. He noticed she had tears in her eyes and put a wing around her. She then broke down and cried into his shoulder and he then held her in a comforting embrace.

“It is fine now, you don’t have to fear anymore.”

“But, I nearly killed you.” Nightmare said through sobs.

“Because I was trying to stop you.”

“I almost lost you, I would’ve been so alone if you had been killed.”

“You didn’t though, I am right here. I am fine and I won’t leave you again.”

Nightmare finally looked up at him and smiled through tears in her eyes. Nightstream smiled back and then looked up at the sky.
“Remember when you asked me why I had made the sky like this once before.”

“Yes, you kept dodging the question.”

“Well to put it simply, I wanted to show you something beautiful and I did. And because I.” Nightstream stopped talking and rubbed the back of his neck and was blushing a little.

“You love me?”

Nightstream sighed “yes.”

“Well, now I can finally put my fears to rest.”

Nightstream looked at Nightmare in confusion as he heard that. Before he could say anything she had kissed him and he was dumbfounded. When she ended it Nightstream was at a loss for words. Nightmare was laughing, genuinely laughing for once. When he heard that Nightstream couldn’t help but smile at that. Nightstream then put his head to hers and they were like that for a while.

“I want to hear it from you Nightstream, please."

“I love you Nightmare.”

“And I love you, Nightstream.”