• Published 14th May 2012
  • 2,745 Views, 121 Comments

A Lighter Shade Of Darkness - veteranO'awesome



2042. Some of us would have called it the end of days, but I called it a new beginning.

  • ...
4
 121
 2,745

Chapter 4

(A/N) Eh... Nothing to really say about this one. Fun to write? I dunno. Enjoy!

I just sat there in the chair, dumbfounded and completely silent until a familiar voice giggled. "Somebody likes yooouuuu!" Said Jackie. "Apparently." I said, getting up from the rather comfy chair. "I'm gonna go find her. You stay here." "Awwww." whined Jackie. "I wanna check out this new place." "Your being rather laid back today. That's good, but still unusual. Just stay there and...scan your surroundings. I expect a full scale report once I get back." I said while walking out the door of the building I woke up in.

I was greeted with a blinding light, which I assumed to be the sun. "Damn, you're bright!" I mumbled, covering my eyes. I just sat down right there and eventually, my eyes adjusted to the blinding sun. I looked at my surroundings with extreme awe. Around me were buildings and ponies of hundreds of different colors. "Jesus. It's like a rainbow exploded in the sky." I walked further out of what I could now tell was a library and into the town.


Elsewhere

"Why did I do that?!" screamed Rainbow Dash as she flew to one of her friends' cottage. "He probably doesn't even like me back." She said glumly. She continued to think on the subject of the mysterious and now-she-knew beautiful creature until she crashed into the door of a house and fell onto her back into the dirt. She laid there, dazed, as she heard hoof-steps get increasingly louder, most likely coming to get the door.

Rainbow's "knock" was answered with an opening door and a yellow, shaking pegasus with a pink mane stepped out and looked directly at Rainbow, who was still laying on her back in the dirt. "Oh my goodness!" She said in a barely audible voice. "Are you ok?" To which Rainbow replied, ".....so sweet and tasty. Cupcakes. Don't be to hasty...." That was all she was able to get out before she blacked out and was dragged inside the rural-looking cottage by a certain concerned pony.

Elsewhere

"Wow. I'm surprised. No one is scared of me." Shade said walking through town.This was true. Nobody was scared of him. They just acted like he was another pony. He eventually approached a pony to talk. She was a pegasus pony (He talked with Twilight about Equestria, remember?) with a light grey coat and a blond mane and tail.

She did not notice him striding towards her. Most likely because she appeared to be sorting mail. Shade quietly approached her but soon realized that stealth was not needed. He got close to her and tapped on her shoulder to get her attention, still trying not to scare her. She turned around and looked at him with yellow eyes that went two different directions

"Wow, you ARE tall." She finally said, looking up at the part of his face that she could see, which was mostly his chin. Shade was indeed tall to the ponies. He was about three feet taller than this pony, and she was a full-grown mare. Shade noticed her struggling to see him and crouched down so his face would be level to hers. "Nice to meet you too, but how have you heard of me already? I've only been here for an hour." He said to the still staring pony. She said nothing and Shade began to get annoyed. He waved a hand in front of the pony's face, which did nothing at all.

Suddenly, the realization hit him. He should have put his helmet back on. She was staring not at, but into his eyes. Shade remembered another thing that those scientists did to him. Anyone who looked in his eyes would see what he has seen, from all the good things to the things that he regrets not stopping to this day. They said it was a 'defense mechanism' and it would protect him, but he hated it. He knew these innocent ponies would not be able to handle the emotional trauma that he felt so long ago, so he moved his face away form hers. It was too late though. The pony's criss-crossed eyes began to water and she wrapped her forelegs around Shade, and hugged him.

The pony had his face in Shade's chest and was crying. She pulled her face away so that she could talk. "H-how could you live...knowing all this?" She said with a quivering voice. "I just got over it eventually." He replied. His words were doing nothing. She was still crying, so Shade decided to go to the extreme. He pulled the grey pony into a deeper hug and started stroking her mane. "You don't have to worry about any of that. Those things will never happen to you." Shade said in the calmest, lightest voice he knew. It wasn't very comfortable getting hugged by a guy in a wierd, futuristic armor, but she didn't say anything. Her crying lightened and she crawled out of Shade's embrace. Her face was beet red.

"I'm sorry about breaking down. It's just that....that was horrible." She said. "My name is Ditzy Doo, by the way."

"No problem. That's nothing compared to my breakdowns. I usually go into fetal position." Said Shade, sarcastically. This got a few giggles and less redness on Ditzy's face. "And my name's Shade."

He held out his hand, obviously signaling a hand/hoof shake. Ditzy timidly held a trembling hoof and shook it. Their hooves were much softer than the average horse. "By the way..." Shade asked her, letting go of her hoof. "Why is everyone not frightened of me? Not that it's a bad thing, of course." He backpedaled. "Rarity told all of Ponyville about you. She said that Rainbow Dash knew you and that you were a friend." Responded Ditzy,
not shaking anymore. Friends. He thought. Those are something I haven't had in a while.

Elsewhere

"Huh?" Said Rainbow Dash. "Where am I?" She looked around the room to find that she was on a sofa with a pink-maned pegasus standing in front of her.

"Oh, hello Rainbow. Are you feeling better?"

"Yeah. I'm feelin' a little better. What happened anyway?"

"Well, I was feeding Angel when I heard a bang on the door." Said Fluttershy in her usual, timid voice. "I opened the door and I saw you laying on the ground, so I brought you inside and put you on the couch until you woke up."

"Thanks, Fluttershy. Thats the....7....8...9th time you've saved my flank."

"Oh it was nothing. I always love helping my friends."

"By the way Fluttershy, I need some advice."

"Sure. What is it?"

"How do I figure out if somepony likes me in...that way?"

Elsewhere

"Well, it was nice talking to you, Ditzy." Said Shade. "You too...DYLAN." Ditzy burst out laughing, which brought a lot of unwanted stares their way. Shade shot her a death glare and Ditzy just stood up and her laughing trailed off. "Welp, I gotta go deliver mail. See you later." With that, Ditzy flew off into the sky, not exactly straight, but it looked pretty majestic to Shade.

"I guess I should try to make more friends if I want to fit in here." Said Shade to himself. He walked off randomly in search of Rainbow Dash. Little did he know, a certain human-obsessed, mint green unicorn was watching him from the dark with a happy grin that spread across her face.